Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Next time I say that my D1 game is terrible, I'm pointing at this game as proof. Not going to argue against me getting lunched - if we're going to hit town, better me than someone more
If you're town then that's not true. The only alignment you know is YOU so fuck everyone else, living is how you know town lives. This attitude is something.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3df318d3f2ddfdfed8381677613bbaf7.gif

Let's see what the lynch brings

OP
OP
Fanto

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
==== FINAL DAY 1 VOTES ====
Day Start - Day End

Alexem (5 votes)
Maolfunction - #277
Brazil - #290
jman1954goat - #468
CoolestSpot - #474
Natiko - #478 #482
Natiko - #488

Brazil (3 votes)
Fran - #298 #477
Verelios - #418
CoolestSpot - #466 #474
LaunchpadMcQ - #467
Alexem - #483

Maolfunction (2 votes)
jman1954goat - #160 #259
Alexem - #243 #483
LaunchpadMcQ - #253 #442
Uzzy - #426
Z-Beat - #486

CoolestSpot (1 votes)
LaunchpadMcQ - #80 #149
jman1954goat - #336 #415
LaunchpadMcQ - #442 #467
Fran - #477
Natiko - #482 #488

LaunchpadMcQ (0 votes)
CoolestSpot - #194 #406

Z-Beat (0 votes)
Natiko - #144 #296

Natiko (0 votes)
CoolestSpot - #406 #439
jman1954goat - #415 #468

Verelios (0 votes)
Maolfunction - #83 #277
LaunchpadMcQ - #149 #253

Uzzy (0 votes)
CoolestSpot - #439 #466

Fran (0 votes)
Natiko - #296 #478

Post Counts:
Verelios: 64 LaunchpadMcQ: 62 jman1954goat: 56 CoolestSpot: 55 Natiko: 49 Fran: 46 Maolfunction: 43 Alexem: 28 Uzzy: 18 Z-Beat: 16 Brazil: 14

Click here to go to the Vote Tool!

Day 1 End
OP
OP
Fanto

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Alexem has died!

Welcome to Super Mario Mafia!

You are Goomba, a Vanilla Townie.

H52ScGW.png

You do not have any special abilities.

You are aligned with Town and win when all threats to Town have been eliminated.

You can find the game thread here.

Please reply to this message to confirm you received it.

NIGHT 1 BEGINS

Night actions are due 2 hours before day start.

Day 2 will begin in:
ei7s40q0me

Day 2 Start
OP
OP
Fanto

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
L14KCej.gif

Fran has died!

Welcome to Super Mario Mafia!

You are Princess Toadstool (aka Peach), a Survivor.

caIlPRt.png

You have no special abilities.

You are aligned with Yourself and win if you survive until the end of the game.

You can find the game thread here.

Please reply to this message to confirm you received it.

DAY 2 BEGINS

Vote Tool:

Majority is 5

Day 2 will end in:

t8d5y57s9h

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Well, here I was telling myself to not get sucked into a tunnel on Fran for seeming to not care much about the day end yesterday. Guess I don't have to worry about that now!

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Bowsette is better anyway.

So is it too obvious to kill CoolestSpot? That was certainly some wild play that ended up killing a townie. I'd like to think that a townie wouldn't be quite so reckless, even on day one, but scum might do that to save another scum.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
jman1954goat Why did you vote Alexem? Earlier in the day you stated you were likely to vote for Coolest unless he did something to change your mind, yet when the time came you voted Alexem because of previous experience voting out erratic townies... but then at day end you actually did try and swap to him suddenly despite the risk that presented to causing a potential tie. Walk me through your thought process.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017

So is it too obvious to kill CoolestSpot? That was certainly some wild play that ended up killing a townie. I'd like to think that a townie wouldn't be quite so reckless, even on day one, but scum might do that to save another scum.
What do you think of Fran being the NK?

OP
OP
Fanto

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017

Just a heads up, you're not allowed to edit posts in the game.
25. Do not edit your posts or hide content in the formatting. Repeat offenders will be removed from the game.
It's just for the sake of the game integrity, we can't let people edit, whether it's to add more, remove more, or even fix a typo.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Just a heads up, you're not allowed to edit posts in the game.

It's just for the sake of the game integrity, we can't let people edit, whether it's to add more, remove more, or even fix a typo.

Fair, I was just adding more actual content rather than shitposting. My apologies.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I was surprised. I had suspicions of them being scum as I mentioned before, but clearly that was not the case.
You mean this:
I would not be comfortable voting to kill Natiko at this time, especially prompted by you, who Natiko has voted for and reads as scum for reasons I agree with (and am voting Maol for)

I do find Coolestspot rather erratic. Voting all over the place.
Which points of Nat's did you agree with?

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know that I put much stock into a Brazil/Coolest team. Coolest was softing his intention to vote for a lower quantity poster after his push for a loud voice gained no traction, so I don't think a vote there was surprising. Coolest more just didn't seem to care much about the outcome either way with the casual vote swap.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
That Fran appeared to be shutting down discussion of hunting scum on day one, something that I voted Maolfunction for.
Where did I do this.

Go find the exact post and bring it to me where I told people explicitly to not discuss hunting scum on D1 when I spent most of the back half of the day looking for scummy things.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to point up that Maol and Coolest never played in the same game together before:

Just in case that I die tonight.
Kind of wondering how much Fran dying had to do with this post. Even though Maol responded after day end, ou might expect Maol and Coolest be in the hotseat today for the comment. It's super WIFOM-y, but just an observation.

Was it shutting down discussion of hunting scum or shutting down mechanics talk. Because they're very different in that case.
Specifically, it was saying that game theory talk was pointless iirc

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of wondering how much Fran dying had to do with this post. Even though Maol responded after day end, ou might expect Maol and Coolest be in the hotseat today for the comment. It's super WIFOM-y, but just an observation.
I'm literally in the spec chat of Scooby Doo the whole game where Coolest did an even more erratic move on D1 by falsely claiming to be a dayvig who killed Fran in that game.

I've read games I've not personally played.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
jman1954goat Why did you vote Alexem? Earlier in the day you stated you were likely to vote for Coolest unless he did something to change your mind, yet when the time came you voted Alexem because of previous experience voting out erratic townies... but then at day end you actually did try and swap to him suddenly despite the risk that presented to causing a potential tie. Walk me through your thought process.
Like I said yesterday it came down to Coolspot and alexem. I feel if coolestspot was mafia there's a higher chance his teamates would tell him to stop Playing wild like he did at the end of the day.
I just want to point up that Maol and Coolest never played in the same game together before:
This comment by Fran lead me to switch votes last minutes to coolestspot my number 2 vote option I had no time to really think about the fact that the votes for coolestspot would not be there anyway.

When it comes to causing a tie this may sound odd but I didn't worry about it I never worry about it. while ive only played 1 game here on era years ago I spectated many games on Neogaf and ties never happen. I am committed to voting for who i think is scum every vote and literally never ever think about a tie happening because it most likely won't I have never seen a tie happen in all my mafia watching it just does not register in my brain as a concern.

I understand this is a weird way to view the game because I see others worry about tie votes all the time but I just don't bother worrying about statistically unlikely things.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
I'm literally in the spec chat of Scooby Doo the whole game where Coolest did an even more erratic move on D1 by falsely claiming to be a dayvig who killed Fran in that game.

I've read games I've not personally played.
You misunderstand me. I'm not saying anything about you relative to that post. I was just talking about why Fran might've been killed.

Although you got that response out to my post pretty fast there...

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
You misunderstand me. I'm not saying anything about you relative to that post. I was just talking about why Fran might've been killed.

push notifications to my phone, I get notified when someone quotes me so I see them pretty quickly. Throw some more wifom out there though, you've been pretty content to do so the whole game now.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020

It's the start of the day people should be watching the thread i would be more concerned with people responding slow at this time of the day to be honest

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Was it shutting down discussion of hunting scum or shutting down mechanics talk. Because they're very different in that case.

I would have to go back and check as this was on the basis of Naitko spotting it. The response you highlighted was due to Fran asking me what I felt about the Naitko vote, which really threw me as at the time, Naitko was voting for Fran, and had I voted for Naitko they'd be at the top of the lynch pile.

Where did I do this.

Go find the exact post and bring it to me where I told people explicitly to not discuss hunting scum on D1 when I spent most of the back half of the day looking for scummy things.

Instantly on the defensive on D2? I see. Of course, explicitly telling people not to discuss hunting scum would be an absurdly stupid move to make, but arguing that there was no point in doing it certainly happened.

Sorry, but there absolutely isn't anything very useful being discussed at the moment. What exactly is being produced that has any value to the game. You're basically ascribing towniness to people's activity levels so far.

Scum can ask questions, scum can poke people, scum can ask players who'd they like to investigate, scum can throw around votes. If you're giving players who are doing this town cred, you're gonna be blindsided later on in the game if one of these people flip scum.

I don't have any issues with how the day is going, but I do think it's laughable that anything on D1 with no useable data can be called good scum hunting.

Y'all are guessing which is how D1 always goes. My instinct tells me this is mostly all town v town and scum are perfectly content to not say anything that rocks the boat.

Which led to Alexem articulating my point and argument.

I think that Maol is still giving the biggest red flags to me so far. I know D1's a crapshoot, but it feels to me as though there's an effort to steer people away from trying to scum hunt by dismissing it as 'guesswork'. I asked for suggestions of what might be helpful instead, but there wasn't much more of a suggestion than to go for players with low post counts. I could construe his involvement as busywork, if I'm honest, and I could see the whole 'If I'm scum, why would I draw attention to myself?' argument as a double-bluff.

For the moment, I'm going to put a vote down there.
VOTE: Maolfunction

That said, I'd still like to hear more from Uzzy and Brazil, and I hope that Z-Beat gets more time to engage in the second half of the phase.

Alexem only moved their vote in an attempt to save themselves, which of course did not work, and we can now all see he was indeed a townie.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
I don't know that I put much stock into a Brazil/Coolest team. Coolest was softing his intention to vote for a lower quantity poster after his push for a loud voice gained no traction, so I don't think a vote there was surprising. Coolest more just didn't seem to care much about the outcome either way with the casual vote swap.
I am very curious to know your thoughts on coolestspot. personally i was starting to feel like he might be neutral but the chance of multiple neutrals in such a small game is probably very low.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I would have to go back and check as this was on the basis of Naitko spotting it. The response you highlighted was due to Fran asking me what I felt about the Naitko vote, which really threw me as at the time, Naitko was voting for Fran, and had I voted for Naitko they'd be at the top of the lynch pile.
No one else had 3 votes at the time? Anyway, I posted that response from you because it seemed like the first time you mentioned Fran being suspicious, and the reasoning was mainly what you posted. Unless I'm wrong.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Instantly on the defensive on D2? I see. Of course, explicitly telling people not to discuss hunting scum would be an absurdly stupid move to make, but arguing that there was no point in doing it certainly happened.

Which led to Alexem articulating my point and argument.

Alexem only moved their vote in an attempt to save themselves, which of course did not work, and we can now all see he was indeed a townie.
Okay, never said there was no point in the conversations either. Do note where I explicitly say I was perfectly fine with where the day was progressing.

My point in these posts is that the conversations were not useful to catch scum because the behavior people were attributing to players as being townie could easily be scum as well or vice versa. D1 has no tangible hard data that's useful for catching scum. It's all guesswork based on people's behaviors mixed with gut feelings. That's not shutting down discussion, that's telling people to be more aware of how useful the conversations are for actual scum hunting. Stop labeling people as townie for being "active" and "asking good questions." Scum can do these things too very easily on D1.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
No one else had 3 votes at the time? Anyway, I posted that response from you because it seemed like the first time you mentioned Fran being suspicious, and the reasoning was mainly what you posted. Unless I'm wrong.

Iirc Natiko, Brazil and Maolfunction were all on 2 votes, and had I switched Natiko would be on 3, with Maolfunction dropping to 1.

Any yes my initial reasoning was that Fran was also trending towards minimising discussion, which amplified a lot when Fran asked me that question. That sort of 'What do you think about the votes for X' when X has voted for you and is in danger of getting lynched seemed pretty scummy. A way to get someone out the game without much blame falling upon you.

Still, we now know for sure that Fran wasn't scum.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing your point here? Why would you vote for Natiko? Yesterday you said you did not want to vote for him, after changing your mind from saying you would vote for him.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Am I missing your point here? Why would you vote for Natiko? Yesterday you said you did not want to vote for him, after changing your mind from saying you would vote for him.

I was asked by Fran what I thought about the votes for Natiko. I took this as an attempt to make me think about voting for Natiko, which as I said, would have put (iirc) Natiko at the top of the pile for lynching. This was from Fran, who had been identified as a possible scum and was currently being voted for by Natiko. That seemed suspicious to me.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
That is pretty alarming on its own.
It's not the best, no lol That was why I was willing to consider a late shift because it ventured out of being just a policy vote.

Specifically, it was saying that game theory talk was pointless iirc
I personally don't think it was even a slip. If the argument is that he would have gained this insight from scum chat that's silly because we had talked about it multiple times in the game thread re: Coolest's meta.

Like I said yesterday it came down to Coolspot and alexem. I feel if coolestspot was mafia there's a higher chance his teamates would tell him to stop Playing wild like he did at the end of the day.

This comment by Fran lead me to switch votes last minutes to coolestspot my number 2 vote option I had no time to really think about the fact that the votes for coolestspot would not be there anyway.

When it comes to causing a tie this may sound odd but I didn't worry about it I never worry about it. while ive only played 1 game here on era years ago I spectated many games on Neogaf and ties never happen. I am committed to voting for who i think is scum every vote and literally never ever think about a tie happening because it most likely won't I have never seen a tie happen in all my mafia watching it just does not register in my brain as a concern.

I understand this is a weird way to view the game because I see others worry about tie votes all the time but I just don't bother worrying about statistically unlikely things.
So you believe Maol's post was a slip? Do you still believe that?

Can I get your updated take on the Brazil train?
I was actually sitting with a vote prepped to swap to Brazil if anyone else moved once Fran and Coolest abandoned that wagon, but there was less than two minutes left in the phase so I didn't have time to lobby for a move and shift without potentially causing a tie (5-3 with me on Alexem at the time). The only thing Alexem did that I found sketchy was the vote for Brazil that he tried to feign wasn't just a preservation vote.