• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
New SMBU is the best 2d mario has ever played

Don't @ me

SMW is alive and strong still 20+ years after its release with Rom hacks. Just two weeks ago it literally got into the top 20 games streaming on twitch because of a big anticipated rom hack released and was being played by everyone. SMW is a masterpiece, it has no comparison.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
SMW is alive and strong still 20+ years after its release with Rom hacks. Just two weeks ago it literally got into the top 20 games streaming on twitch because of a big anticipated rom hack released and was being played by everyone. SMW is a masterpiece, it has no comparison.

Which hack, can you fill me in? I haven't been following the scene for years now.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Once you play you will realize it doesn't cheapen the franchise......it enhances and unlocks its true potential.

Maybe, I had enough of Mario maker after the first game because, frankly, most people were absolutely terrible at making levels. Most of the time i'd settle for a package of quality Nintendo made levels but with no maker functionality than the other way around. The ideal would be to have both, I suppose. I think the 3DS version of mario maker included some nintendo made levels, but I never played that version.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
SMB3 is better imo

SMW is way too easy

I think SMB3 is a better designed game. But as far as controls and playability goes I think SMW surpasses it.

SMB3 has the better variety, the more interesting enemies and worlds, but the basic controls and play-ability is all pretty straight forward. Besides the powerups and Shoe at least.

If you look at the hack community for SMW you can realize just how much potential that game has just in the variety of options and control. People make entire rom hacks for just flying because of how much control and variability there is just on the cape in SMW.

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I completely missed the fact that 3D world was its own palette. Thats incredibly exciting. Since 3D World is rather unique, I hope they add some other 3D game styles and maybe even Mario 2.

At first I thought "Ok they're adding everything that was missing from 1 and some new stuff from 3D World in NSMBU palette". I dont doubt they'll add a few more new palettes now. Im super excited for this. Way more than I ever was with 1.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks I'll check them out! :)

Worth noting that Invictus is not at all Vanilla, but GPW is about half vanilla/half chocolate.

(Vanilla is all default SMW stuff, chocolate is not. Stuff added with sprites and ASM. Stuff like jumping off walls, same screen pipes, different enemies and items.)

GPW 2 may have the best boss fights ever in a hack.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I havent played the first game nor have I been following news about the sequel, so I have no idea if this a feature already, but what I would love to have is the possibility of not only creating single levels, but a whole damn game. You create your levels, arrange them into worlds by theme and difficulty progression, and even put bosses, secret levels, alternate routes, etc. How awesome would that be? The level selection interface could be that of SMB3, SMW, NSMB or SM3W, of course, with bosses to choose from each of them too.

If this isn't a thing yet, I don't know what they're waiting for.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I havent played the first game nor have I been following news about the sequel, so I have no idea if this a feature already, but what I would love to have is the possibility of not only creating single levels, but a whole damn game. You create your levels, arrange them into worlds by theme and difficulty progression, and even put bosses, secret levels, alternate routes, etc. How awesome would that be? The level selection interface could be that of SMB3, SMW, NSMB or SM3W, of course, with bosses to choose from each of them too.

If this isn't a thing yet, I don't know what they're waiting for.
It's pretty close to the first one apart from bosses. There was bowser I guess but yeah, everything else you mentioned was basically possible in the first one.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Worth noting that Invictus is not at all Vanilla, but GPW is about half vanilla/half chocolate.

(Vanilla is all default SMW stuff, chocolate is not. Stuff added with sprites and ASM. Stuff like jumping off walls, same screen pipes, different enemies and items.)

GPW 2 may have the best boss fights ever in a hack.

Okay I'll keep that in mind thanks. I noticed they are Kaizo-type hacks and even if they are Kaizo Light and I'm really not fond of this type of gameplay :/ But I'll check them out atleast nonetheless. Are there any notable non-Kaizo hacks that came out in the last few years?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty close to the first one apart from bosses. There was bowser I guess but yeah, everything else you mentioned was basically possible in the first one.

That's not true, you could not place levels on a world map with secret levels and alternate routes. You could only make standalone levels in sets of 3 (or was it 4?) but only share them one level at a time I believe.

And there was Bowser but you could also make more creative boss battles too. Like stacks of giant enemies and things like that. There were even ways of making boss battles where you had to defeat the boss in order to progress, though I think that usually used clever workarounds.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Okay I'll keep that in mind thanks. I noticed they are Kaizo-type hacks and even if they are Kaizo Light and I'm really not fond of this type of gameplay :/ But I'll check them out atleast nonetheless. Are there any notable non-Kaizo hacks that came out in the last few years?

Then I would stay away from GPW2. It's definitely pretty hard. Invictus is kaizo style but not as hard and really just all around fun.

Kaizo is definitely the focus that hacks have gone down, but there has been a couple other notible hacks. There was a Bob Ross inspired hack that had versions of his paintings as the backgrounds and themes and there were 3 different settings that would make it pretty doable. Can't remember the name though.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017

I did some research and I saw you can group levels into worlds, but that's not quite what Im talking about, it's more the players planning their whole game instead of separate courses. People would download the whole game too, start to finish (of course there should be the option to download just a single level if you want). I also don't think the first game had alternate exits leading to different levels, bonus levels or even an overworld.

These seem to be a natural evolution for the game, hopefully 2 will bring it.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Yea but they could just keep making Mario maker sequels for 2d Mario

We will certainly get a new 2D Mario.

They will just have to make it standout, some how. By either reinventing 2D Mario or just a something unique like another Mario 2. An extremely polished remake of SM3 is something that would be huge.

I can't see mother NSM entry. Leave that to live out in Maker and wash your hands of it, Nintendo.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We will certainly get a new 2D Mario.

They will just have to make it standout, some how. By either reinventing 2D Mario or just a something unique like another Mario 2. An extremely polished remake of SM3 is something that would be huge.

I can't see mother NSM entry. Leave that to live out in Maker and wash your hands of it, Nintendo.
I hope so, last one we got was 6 years ago right? Don't think there's been a new one released since Mario maker

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Mario Maker can't and will never replace new 2D Mario games. For that it's too limited. Doesnt matter how many gameplay elements they'll add.
We are barely able to recreate SMB1.

But it's true, we probably wont see a new 2D Mario game in the next 1-2 years.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Then I would stay away from GPW2. It's definitely pretty hard. Invictus is kaizo style but not as hard and really just all around fun.

Kaizo is definitely the focus that hacks have gone down, but there has been a couple other notible hacks. There was a Bob Ross inspired hack that had versions of his paintings as the backgrounds and themes and there were 3 different settings that would make it pretty doable. Can't remember the name though.

Well it can't hurt to try them out either way, especially Invictus sounds more like my cup of tea but the Bob Ross one sounds funny aswell. Happy to SMW Central is still up and running aswell after all these years!

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Maker can't and will never replace new 2D Mario games. For that it's too limited. Doesnt matter how many gameplay elements they'll add.
We are barely able to recreate SMB1.

But it's true, we probably wont see a new 2D Mario game in the next 1-2 years.
I don't understand, what's missing that lets you not recreate smb1? I've never played Mario maker

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
I don't understand, what's missing that lets you not recreate smb1? I've never played Mario maker

SMB1W3-3.png

Top right platform for example.

Jan 31, 2019
Maybe, I had enough of Mario maker after the first game because, frankly, most people were absolutely terrible at making levels. Most of the time i'd settle for a package of quality Nintendo made levels but with no maker functionality than the other way around. The ideal would be to have both, I suppose. I think the 3DS version of mario maker included some nintendo made levels, but I never played that version.
The 3DS Nintendo made levels are fantastic.....:being only 20 bucks now I highly recommend it.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biggest thing for me is vertical levels and more space in general for levels. Maybe a longer time limit too.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Off the top of my head there's no way to recreate that castle level where you have to pick the right path several times in a row in order to get to Bowser. I can't remember exactly which level that was.
Not only this, but you were limited to only 2 separate areas per level as well, linked by warp pipes. There was no way to use warp pipes that connected to each other in the same area (you had to use doors instead), and you couldn't have more than 2 distinct areas per level (SMB1 sometimes has a main overworld area plus multiple underground bonus areas AND a sky bonus area). The flagpole also had to exist in the same area as the starting point (whereas Lost Levels 8-2, for example, has its flagpole hidden in a bonus sky area).

I didn't usually think it was a big deal since you could work around most of those limitations to get something that very closely approximated the original versions, though.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Not only this, but you were limited to only 2 separate areas per level as well, linked by warp pipes. There was no way to use warp pipes that connected to each other in the same area (you had to use doors instead), and you couldn't have more than 2 distinct areas per level (SMB1 sometimes has a main overworld area plus multiple underground bonus areas AND a sky bonus area). The flagpole also had to exist in the same area as the starting point (whereas Lost Levels 8-2, for example, has its flagpole hidden in a bonus sky area).

I didn't usually think it was a big deal since you could work around most of those limitations to get something that very closely approximated the original versions, though.

I'm hoping the presence of the layer icon on the screen alleviates these restrictions. Pipes in the same tileset, doors across tilesets and more of both would be great.

Not great for shitty pick a pipes, but great overall.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Super Mario world has the best overworld imo

Definitely. I'm sick and tired of the predictable, formulaic way this series divides its levels into numbered worlds. It removes any sense of adventure. Super Mario World (ironically, judging by its name) didn't use that world concept and instead made its map feel far more organic. I actually felt like I was exploring that world and uncovering its secrets, not just working to unlock the next numbered level. Stuff like the big switches that added tiles to a large assortment of maps helped bring everything together too, and added yet another reason to explore and search for secrets.

Jan 31, 2019
Definitely. I'm sick and tired of the predictable, formulaic way this series divides its levels into numbered worlds. It removes any sense of adventure. Super Mario World (ironically, judging by its name) didn't use that world concept and instead made its map feel far more organic. I actually felt like I was exploring that world and uncovering its secrets, not just working to unlock the next numbered level. Stuff like the big switches that added tiles to a large assortment of maps helped bring everything together too, and added yet another reason to explore and search for secrets.
Totally agree. There was the cool top sectet level, the level under the bridge with the beanstalk, the bowser levels that come from under the water, to name a few. There was also all the alternate routes based on getting keys in levels.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I loved SMW to death but there was one exit/level in SMW that I never got to, and realised it by seeing the enemy pictures in the credits. But yeah, such a sense of exploration, adventure, on-going stuff instead of linear, all the possibilities, all the Yoshis, the power-up color system, Special levels, everything about that game was just... mind blowing. I remember playing it for the very first time with my cousin.

Damn I wish I could play SMW on the Switch right now.

Welp, booting it up on Wii U.