• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeroRed

Oct 27, 2017
Some pictures I took:
Fi4Zu35.jpg

CqoSgZw.jpg

eUOiksh.jpg

QsYSbri.jpg

e41nrc8.jpg

Hr3zDMg.jpg

bCjcs3o.jpg

qMk9Ysa.jpg

NysNVdn.jpg

ZWw3VEt.jpg

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
My game finally arrived today. I've always preferred the 64 style to the Galaxy style so I am super happy to be playing this. This game is magic. I love it.

The only think I can complain about is the stupidity of relying on motion controls for some actions when there are redundant buttons in the current layout. Please fix that.

Other than that... man, this game is amazing.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I keep on thinking about Kingdoms I didn't like in the game and nothing really comes to mind.

I would say a few are disappointing though. For example, I was expecting the Lake Kingdom to be a lot bigger than it was.
Looking at size alone, the Lake Kingdom is a little disappointing but otherwise I really love that kingdom. The music is great, I really enjoy the aesthetic, and it is a more pure water level ala DIre Dire Docks compared to Seaside Kingdom which is more a beach level. Despite it's size, I ended up loving Lake Kingdom.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb q:

Is the
moon kingdom
the last kingdom? And what happens when you finish the game? I'm sure it doesn't just kick you out of your save, but I want to make sure.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I like the levels all in their own ways, to me if any are disappointing it would be Snow Kingdom. I loooove snow levels in games but the bulk of this is basically just like a bowl of snow and water, with the race track being the main hook.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at size alone, the Lake Kingdom is a little disappointing but otherwise I really love that kingdom. The music is great, I really enjoy the aesthetic, and it is a more pure water level ala DIre Dire Docks compared to Seaside Kingdom which is more a beach level. Despite it's size, I ended up loving Lake Kingdom.

Yeah I think it's one of the coolest-looking Kingdoms in the game.

Despite being disappointed with the former's size, I actually liked both of the "water levels" in this game and I usually don't like water levels.

RennerSage

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
so i have to ask you guys, having not played it,

in your mind, has this game surpassed galaxy?

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game today, and while I enjoyed it, I can't say I'm in love with it.

While the game has a lot of content, quality platforming sections were rare and separated by minutes of simple design and gameplay.
In fact the game design reminded me of Assassin Creed, lots of noise diluting whatever quality content the game might have.

I was hoping the post-content would alleviate this and offer more challenging moons, but instead it aggravates it, many of the moons added to levels would had been trivial to get in the first play through had they not been locked.

Odyssey does have the best production values of any Mario game thus far, and it's the first Mario game since Galaxy to have a visual identity of it's own, which really helps elevate the game.

argonsmash

Oct 25, 2017

Despite being disappointed with the former's size, I actually liked both of the "water levels" in this game and I usually don't like water levels.

I agree; Liking the swimming controls way more than I thought I would. Sinking after a short time on the surface is genius.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

No but only because Galaxy is a very special game to me and I find it's soundtrack and atmosphere better.

You really won't go wrong with either. They both accomplish literally everything they set out to do. It just depends if you prefer more linear-type or sandbox-type. This is by far the best sandbox type and my second favorite 3D Mario after Galaxy 1

Mo0

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb q:

Is the
moon kingdom
the last kingdom? And what happens when you finish the game? I'm sure it doesn't just kick you out of your save, but I want to make sure.
After a really neat boss fight, you go to Mushroom Kingdom. An exploration area, as well as about 60 moons available via an achievement system, ensue, and there are hints that there's another level if you get enough moons.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
i finished the story earlier today, very fun, loved it. Now I'm excited for the endgame and it already has brought.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb q:

Is the
moon kingdom

I'm not gonna spoil anything but no it isn't and after the credits something very delightful will happen and you'll be allowed to continue playing as you like and revisit any kingdom.

Just finished *that part* of the Metro Kingdom. Er, how do you post spoilers? I can't seem to find it.

You have to type them manually afaik. It's (spoilers)spoilers go here(/spoilers) but with square brackets rather than parentheses.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I still want to sit on it for a few days but I don't think it has. I think it's in the same ballpark though. I just think I vastly preferred the soundtrack and space aesthetic Galaxy had than what Odyssey is doing here.

Someone mentioned this in the spoiler thread but I'm missing a Spooky level. Where are my Boos :( my favorite Mario enemy.

argonsmash

Oct 25, 2017
What in the hell is up with these bullet bill controls. I just can't seem to get used to them. (playing only in handheld mode)

I found them very easy and intuitive. Playing on a Pro controller though. Super fun to guide them around. Maybe it's a handheld thing. I find the camera a little hard to deal with in handheld.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. Galaxy is pretty sluggish in comparison, and not as much fun to move around in. And there's a lot less you can do outside of what you have to do so it's difficult to replay it, as many of its sequences are very limited in how to approach them. Not to mention nothing in Galaxy was half as crazy as some of the stuff we see in this game. Maybe at the time it seemed so, but it's not. And I don't agree that the music in Galaxy was better. There was just more of it. The lower number of levels in Odyssey naturally leads to less music, but many/most tracks are top tier stuff.

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
Just beat the game. A little on the short side, but it was pretty great overall. Production wise (graphics, art style, UI interface--I love the maps as brochures, music) is through the roof, simply spectacular.

Controlling Mario (hat tricks are awesome) and the Cap mechanic of takin over enemies was put to great use and I enjoyed many of them.

What I am disappointed in was how unchallenging many of the platform sections and how easy many of the bosses were. Even the final boss was a kind of a rehash of a previous fight, only with a few added gimmicks.

As for the worlds, many felt kind of "empty" and kind of small (super disappointed at how small Metro kingdom is, though the ending section of that part was super awesome). Overall, this is certainly a contender for GOTY but I wouldn't put it in the top three. I don't even think this game surpasses Galaxy or 64 or even 3D world (never played Sunshine). It's a highly polished and beautifully presented game that sort of feels like it could of been something more.

argonsmash

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game. A little on the short side, but it was pretty great overall. Production wise (graphics, art style, UI interface--I love the maps as brochures, music) is through the roof, simply spectacular.

Controlling Mario (hat tricks are awesome) and the Cap mechanic of takin over enemies was put to great use and I enjoyed many of them.

What I am disappointed in was how unchallenging many of the platform sections and how easy many of the bosses were. Even the final boss was a kind of a rehash of a previous fight, only with a few added gimmicks.

As for the worlds, many felt kind of "empty" and kind of small (super disappointed at how small Metro kingdom is, though the ending section of that part was super awesome). Overall, this is certainly a contender for GOTY but I wouldn't put it in the top three. I don't even think this game surpasses Galaxy or 64 or even 3D world (never played Sunshine). It's a highly polished and beautifully presented game that sort of feels like it could of been something more.

Genuine question...did you complete 100% or just finish the main track?

Oct 27, 2017
I just got to the
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
How many kingdoms do I have left? I'm guessing I'm near the end

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
I beat the game tonight. It was good but disappointing. Way too easy, way too much padding. Not near the same level of creativity and wonder as the Galaxy games. Fun at times but not memorable at all.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, just beat the real, true, final level. Don't have all the moons yet, but I'm getting there. Happy to say that I only ever used on Toad hint on my way to all those moons. Currently at

As for the last level, (post-game spoilers)
It's no champion's road. It's actually quite disappointing. Easy and not particularly clever. It actually really drives home the point that all of the capture mechanics and everything else are almost more in service of an exploration / collecting game than an obstacle course game. Because when you capture a creature you lose all of Mario's moves, so what you can actually challenge the player with ends up being pretty basic. And I was kinda surprised to not see some shoutout to Rosalina (space princess) on the fucking MOON, but it's clear that they wanted all the callbacks to be to 64, which is fine.
Not sure how motivated I am to go back and scour the levels for each moon. In the Kingdoms where I have only about 5 or 10 left it's already feeling impossible to find them.

Magnificent game, and I'm so happy they went in this direction after 3d World - which was a style I didn't like - but Galaxy is still the king by a long, long way.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I still want to sit on it for a few days but I don't think it has. I think it's in the same ballpark though. I just think I vastly preferred the soundtrack and space aesthetic Galaxy had than what Odyssey is doing here.

Someone mentioned this in the spoiler thread but I'm missing a Spooky level. Where are my Boos :( my favorite Mario enemy.
I think the opening level is meant to be the replacement boo level. It's *okay*, but I was there was more to it

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
511 moons and a "THANK YOU" later, I'm ready to let the game rest for the time being. It's fun and endlessly inventive, and I love that they really pushed the boundaries of what the series can look and sound like (the finale really is incredible), but in the end I still prefer the 3D World approach for these things. Wouldn't mind them alternating the two, though.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
That moment when the power is out all day, your Switch battery dies, but you're so addicted to Mario Odyssey that you run your Jeep for an hour so the usb charger can charge the Switch fully.

I am ashamed to call myself an environmentalist.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

I don't understand; you're not an environmentalist, because you ran your car to play a video game. Secondly, you made me quote your post so I could see you said "not really." You don't respect the environment or my time :(

On topic, going back through the levels in order again to get all them moons. What's up with the
"Buy 10" option of the 100-coin Moons? How many of those are there in each shop?
I don't want to have to just grind for coins to 100% this game...

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017

As a start to finish adventure, yes for me. This game is very well paced in terms of the scripted events and what kingdoms you are introduced to/able to visit in what order. The tonal shifts are all really on point and the build up to the finale is just perfect. Galaxy also had more rough edges due to the camera and a few motion control sections of gameplay. Aesthetically I think Odyssey is a better designed game as well. Every design element is thoroughly explored, for example how hats are integrated into everything but also done in creative and surprising fashion.

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here are my thoughts.

As a PLATFORMER, I prefer Galaxy.

As an EXPERIENCE I think Odyssey trumps it. So many ideas and Nintendo's imagination crystallized. Really enjoyed my time with the game, and I'll see what the post game has to offer.

9.5/10. (I only give 10's to uncontested best games of their genre and Odyssey is hovering that #1-3 for 3D Platformer range)

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do love the
The quiz with Pauline and the convo you have with her after you get her a new purse for her birthday. Levels of continuity in the Marioverse.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't gotten my hands on the full game yet, but is the art style less jarring for some of the levels that weren't unveiled?

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017

The Seaside Kingdom is really something else too. I'm still discovering areas and secrets I apparently missed the first time and I made a pretty wide path on my first playthrough of the game.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I'll probably be buying a Switch in a week or so, can't wait to play this.

For those who have beaten the game..would you dare say Odessey is better than SM64??

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Seaside Kingdom. That boss and enemy abilities were incredibly fun! Loved it.

Lmao at Volbono Kingdom:

I've always wanted to wriggle around as a giant mustachioed piece of meat

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just completed my first Mario game ever, while I think there could have been more variety towards the end and the reskined boss battles got tiresome, it was still a terrific game!

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
This game is disgustingly good. I don't even want to go to work tomorrow, I just want to stay home and play this game for 15 hours straight.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Is there the standard fireball red and white outfit to get anywhere? Always been my favorite.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I'm a bit disappointed with the post game so far. I'm in the sand kingdom and all they've done is added more moons in mostly conspicuous areas. Am I missing something?

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit disappointed with the post game so far. I'm in the sand kingdom and all they've done is added more moons in mostly conspicuous areas. Am I missing something?

You just described every moon in the game bud. Try not using the map.

Some of these endgame moons
dark side
are poopy garbage, though. Don't think I'm gonna do em.