• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
Is it just me or does anyone else get some Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door vibes from this game? Like the developers are fans of it or something.

Firstly, the Cap Kingdom aesthetics really reminds me of the Boggly Woods chapter. Then there's
The Moon
, a level in both games. And then there's also the ability to change costumes into
Luigi, Wario and Waluigi
, exactly the same as in TTYD.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably be buying a Switch in a week or so, can't wait to play this.

For those who have beaten the game..would you dare say Odessey is better than SM64??
Yes, it's very easily the best 3D Mario to me, although I only played 64 for the first time in 2015 so I never really experienced it when it was truly mind blowing which likely has an affect on how I view it.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm still way early in the game (just beat the rabbit boss in the desert world), but there seems to be a big lack of music. I'm hoping this changes in some later stages? It's weird to only have music playing in the center area of that huge desert world.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Ugh, I'm trying so hard to refrain from watching cool videos until I'm done with the story at least. But I cant help it, I've been spoiled on almost everything and im only on the 4th world lol.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
As for the worlds, many felt kind of "empty" and kind of small (super disappointed at how small Metro kingdom is, though the ending section of that part was super awesome). Overall, this is certainly a contender for GOTY but I wouldn't put it in the top three. I don't even think this game surpasses Galaxy or 64 or even 3D world (never played Sunshine). It's a highly polished and beautifully presented game that sort of feels like it could of been something more.

Yeah I just beat the game and almost all of the kingdoms felt on the small side to me which was disappointing. Some of them (like
Cloud Kingdom and Ruined Kingdom
) don't even really deserve to be called kingdoms IMO. It's still one of my favorite games this year but I can't help but feel like they could've done more in terms of level design.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Oh god, the Lost Kingdom. It's beautiful. I love the colors in this game, holy shit.

Wish it was bigger but whatever. The game has been masterfully paced so far. It's soooo good.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or does anyone else get infuriated when this game decides to constantly invert and uninvert left and right? It makes 0 sense.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Huh.

I can see that, and I don't mind them but they aren't quite the same.

It serves the same purpose aesthetically, but not really in terms of gameplay. Still, at the same time; I could see a more typical full 'haunted house' world being redundant because of that visual similarity.

Maybe the better compromise would be to have postgame sections in the Cap Kingdom that function within the wheelhouse of Boo levels. I could see 'naked' Bonneters acting like Boos as well - they'd chase Mario for his hat, and become shy when looked at because they're insecure to be seen without one.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Pretty certain that I just unlocked the True Final Stage, but I'm thinking of putting it off until I've cleared through some more of the earlier stuff. Not sure how much patience I have to work through all of it though. I'm taking a look at my progress and it looks no less daunting than it did hours ago. How many total moons are in this game anyway? 800?

I'm also getting to the point where I might need to start figuring out efficient ways to farm coins. The outfits are getting expensive; 1000+ coins needed for the last several items I've unlocked.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty certain that I just unlocked the True Final Stage, but I'm thinking of putting it off until I've cleared through some more of the earlier stuff. Not sure how much patience I have to work through all of it though. I'm taking a look at my progress and it looks no less daunting than it did hours ago. How many total moons are in this game anyway? 800?

I'm also getting to the point where I might need to start figuring out efficient ways to farm coins. The outfits are getting expensive; 1000+ coins needed for the last several items I've unlocked.

This is the best way I've seen so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzM_xpifULA

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
After close to 400 moons, I'm finally running out of steam a bit. Still love the game and will come back to it, but I believe it's time to take a break with Wolfenstein.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Just completed the first mission in Metro Kingdom and man, its been a blast so far. But I do have the agree that its quite weak in terms of pure platforming, but feels oh so good exploring the worlds with Mario.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
here's some suggestions in pictures :

DNahM0iUIAABdha.jpg
go to the left part there, and you'll see this :
DNahRPeU8AAjbrN.jpg

there's also some hidden in the cheese here :
DNahXioUEAAQSPu.jpg

there's 3 in the small gap on the right here :

DNahewsU8AAQJq5.jpg

don't think you missed it, but there's 3 in the 8 bit section here :
DNahmJdVoAAZQ6Q.jpg

hope this helps

You, my friend, just saved me 15€. The first two screenshots did the trick. I feel so stupid. I usually always check these corners! Thank you so much!

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
so i have to ask you guys, having not played it,

in your mind, has this game surpassed galaxy?

The first Super Mario Galaxy? Yeah it did but the first Galaxy game didn't really hook me. Super Mario Galaxy 2 though, no it didn't surpass it for me. What holds it back from Galaxy 2 for me is so much of the game feels unfocused. So many moons are kind of just there and not really well hidden. I didn't feel much finding a lot of them. I enjoyed finding purple coins more than I did a lot of moons. Galaxy 2 has a much more rigid structure but I like it more than how aimless Odyssey felt at times. I recently replayed through Sunshine and I enjoyed that structure a bit more than Odyssey. You have one clear goal in every level but you can always divert your path and search for blue coins.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
OMG. This was the best ending ever. Bowser, and the song, and the end cinematic. Overall Odyssey was a more cinematic game as a whole, and it was so worth it. I used to be a naysayer about Mario games and stories, but I was clearly wrong. Nintendo...I think this makes it my GOTY. I enjoyed the ending way more than I should have, but it was a different type of ending you just don't see anymore. Realistically, this was the best ending this year. Without a doubt.

NiteJohn

Oct 25, 2017
I just had to come back and gush about the movement in this game. Its the first Mario game since Sunshine where I feel like they put thought in how mario controls. After Galaxy (2 at least, never played 1) it felt like Nintendo was never going back to making movement important again. Yea this is my second favorite game this year. Only problem I have is that I think they should've work with the Zelda team to make the worlds and objective flow. If BOTW was a 10/10 for me this is a 9.5/10.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap you guys.

I just got to
Bowsers Kingdom
and its freakin amazing. The music omfg.

Luncheon Kingdom ruled. Loved the boss fight and
the segment afterwards
. Back to back thrills. Great stuff.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like in the past few pages 3D World just suddenly became so many people's favorite 3D Mario game, or maybe it's lovers didn't really speak up before.

Before Odyssey's reveal I thought a 64-style game was almost universally wanted by the Mario fanbase, and Odyssey completely delivered. It's interesting to see that lots of people prefer the 3D World style, newer fans maybe? Or maybe less vocal and decided to speak up now that they didn't get their type of game?

Interesting to say the least, similar to how BotW was met with a lot of "the Zelda formula didn't need to change!" when that exact fan sentiment is why BotW even happened.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
so i have to ask you guys, having not played it,

in your mind, has this game surpassed galaxy?
No. Galaxy as a whole felt much more cohesive and fully realized. The galaxies offered a ton of great platforming environments while still creating a world that felt alive, and the game in general had a better sense of progression. When I finished Galaxy, I was fully satisfied and felt like the development team had taken their vision of Mario in space to the full extent possible.

Odyssey, despite being very good, feels lacking. The kingdoms are too few and too small, and though they look fantastic, they feel empty and lifeless. The progression is kind of awkward since you can move from kingdom to kingdom too quickly and too easily. Ultimately, I just felt very unsatisfied by everything except the story, which was the best in any Mario game to date.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I just got 500 moons and
unlocked the darker side. After a few runs at that thing and getting up to the fireball segment, I think I'm done with this game. I enjoyed my time with it but a lot of stuff, especially postgame, is frustratingly difficult imo. Maybe I'll get back to it in a few weeks and polish off some more moons but I'm good. Anyone wanna tell me what's at the end of that level? I'm assuming another bowser fight or something?

Jyester

Oct 27, 2017
First post on REF! The game is good, as my friend Reggie would say. This is my kind of Mario game. I loved the Galaxy games, but it always bugged me how I couldn't wander off and discover things for myself. Not every moon in Odyssey feels earned, but it's much more satisfying than finding Korok seeds in BotW. I'm really liking it so far. Motion controls are pretty doable in handheld mode.

Am I right in assuming that the farthest you can jump is by doing a long jump, throwing cappy, diving forward to bounce off cappy, followed by one more dive?

I decided to import the Red Joy-Con's from Japan since the only way to get them in the US is with the Super Mario Switch bundle, and boy am I glad I imported. These are the first joy-cons I've purchased since the system came out and the colors are perfect... so much nicer than the neon set.

You just convinced me. These are the first Joycons that actually look good. I thought the neon and Splatoon ones looked garish, but these are pretty sweet lookin'.

Wow Shiverians are adorable..... I want one.

I tried the two player mode together with my gf for the first time yesterday. We had so much fun racing these guys. Super cute.

Lilo_D

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like in the past few pages 3D World just suddenly became so many people's favorite 3D Mario game, or maybe it's lovers didn't really speak up before.

Before Odyssey's reveal I thought a 64-style game was almost universally wanted by the Mario fanbase, and Odyssey completely delivered. It's interesting to see that lots of people prefer the 3D World style, newer fans maybe? Or maybe less vocal and decided to speak up now that they didn't get their type of game?

Interesting to say the least, similar to how BotW was met with a lot of "the Zelda formula didn't need to change!" when that exact fan sentiment is why BotW even happened.

There is no game that can satisfy everyone, just like Zelda
But i'm so glad Nintendo made these changes because usually for such a long and success series, people tends to play safe

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm having so much trouble finding moons. I'm usually left with 7 or so in each kingdom.

What are some good tips for finding the really well-hidden moons when Toad or Amiibo Bot are no longer an option?

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
What is everyone's favourite piece of music from the game?

For me it has to be Bowser's Kingdom, just lovely. I feel like I'm in a spa everytime I hear it.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just got 500 moons and
unlocked the darker side. After a few runs at that thing and getting up to the fireball segment, I think I'm done with this game. I enjoyed my time with it but a lot of stuff, especially postgame, is frustratingly difficult imo. Maybe I'll get back to it in a few weeks and polish off some more moons but I'm good. Anyone wanna tell me what's at the end of that level? I'm assuming another bowser fight or something?
At the end is a platforming segment where you control Bowser. No boss or anything. Beating it unlocks the invisibility cap.

For me it has to be Bowser's Kingdom, just lovely. I feel like I'm in a spa everytime I hear it.
Mine is the finale song.

Jacobian360

Oct 28, 2017
I just got 500 moons and
Just spent about 4 hours trying to beat the level and seriously with almost tears in my eyes from anger induced rage. I beat it, and now I feel like I'm floating above the cloud kingdom numb. This is one of the best games I've played in years and after that specific level and with 503 moons collected I need a break.

Time for some Wolfenstein!

Brock

Oct 28, 2017
Pewter City Gym
I'm loving the game so far! I actually think it stands up pretty well in portable mode and I as wrong in fearing that the controls would be a bit hard to grasp in docked mode without the use of a pro controller.

Is there much online multiplayer content to keep me playing once I finish the main story??

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017

Probably the final song. I do love the Cascade Kingdom theme and Shiveria Town theme, though. Cascade theme feels right out of Mario Galaxy and the Shiveria theme is just so Christmassy.

Jacobian360

Oct 28, 2017
I'm loving the game so far! I actually think it stands up pretty well in portable mode and I as wrong in fearing that the controls would be a bit hard to grasp in docked mode without the use of a pro controller.

Is there much online multiplayer content to keep me playing once I finish the main story??
The only "online" functionality I've seen is the leaderboards for mini-games so no but trust me there is stuff to do after the Main story quest.

Valahart

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the idea of the Luncheon Kingdom but to me it has the most forgettable transformation. It doesn't make much sense thematically and it isn't as close to being as mechanically interesting as most of the others. Funny enough it is probably the one you spend the most time with.

I think they missed the opportunity of just making it food related, I mean, a fireball? It's so random.