• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Up to 600 moons and I think this is easily my favorite of the "open" 3D Mario games, but it doesn't give me that feeling of "magic" that I got from Galaxy, or even 3D World. Who knows, maybe I'm just more into the linear obstacle-course type.

Still an amazing experience.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Man something about this game. I had a really hard time getting into the last few 3D Mario games but this one has me hooked. It will be interesting to see how they try and top the hat mechanic.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Really?? I need to play 3d world again but I don't remember it getting difficult until after you beat Bowswer... I think I need to boot it up to see!
It doesn't lol. The only things that caused me trouble in that one were other players, the game's perspective, and 8-way movement throwing me off edges (outside of a few postgame levels).

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
My daughter (5) had a go on the game today while I cooked dinner. Wasn't able to get her off it after.

She managed to get a couple of moons in New Donk, and then became preoccupied with going into the Odyssey, changing clothes, leaving the Odyssey, making a decision on whether it was too hot or cold for Mario, then going back in to change.

Anyhow she was completely drawn in by it. She's played mario games before but this was a little bit different.

Virtu Al

Oct 25, 2017
Italy, Rome
I just finished the main story and I am left truly speechless...The last stretch of the game was a wild ride where the "holy shit" moments were plenty and the ending brought a huge smile to my face. Then the post-game happened and...Like I said, I'm speechless and I'm still processing just how much I have still left to do in the game. This got to be one of the best post-game contents ever, at least for the platforming genre.

I loved loved loved it and while I recognize that I may not be the most objective person of the world in this emotion-filled moment, I can't help but just be incredibly happy about this game.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My daughter (5) had a go... She managed to get a couple of moons in New Donk, and then became preoccupied with going into the Odyssey, changing clothes, leaving the Odyssey, making a decision on whether it was too hot or cold for Mario, then going back in to change.

Today I learned I play Mario like a 5 year old girl.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Ok, so the two hidden
golden turnips
in the luncheon kingdom... What to do with them?

The
pot
is far away and kind of inaccessible.

exo

Oct 28, 2017
Newfoundland, Canada
Just finished the game! Holy fucking shit this is the best 3D Mario by a country mile.

I was guessing while playing that they would follow this up with another SM64 remake on the Odyssey engine. I was surprised that it happened -- in part -- in Odyssey itself. Just playing around in the Mushroom Kingdom with everything unlocked and plenty of interactive items at your disposal is like blissfully frolicking in Valhalla. Solid 10/10.

My daughter (5) had a go on the game today while I cooked dinner. Wasn't able to get her off it after.

She managed to get a couple of moons in New Donk, and then became preoccupied with going into the Odyssey, changing clothes, leaving the Odyssey, making a decision on whether it was too hot or cold for Mario, then going back in to change.

Anyhow she was completely drawn in by it. She's played mario games before but this was a little bit different.

This is the most adorable thing I've read all day.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
A dragon?! So unexpected and so cool. Super, super easy, but such a fun event. I love that this game is full of weird stuff like that.

LaydinJinn

Oct 31, 2017
Was going to wait until I finish the game to join the discussion but I just got to the last world and

Holy smokes I was completely blown away with Bowser's World! I was totally expecting another lava filled world where Mario will have to capture Bullet Bills while dodging lava spikes, and Koizumi throws us a curveball and went full Samurai Muramasa on us. I am so glad this wasn't spoiled by Nintendo or me accidentally spoiling myself browsing Youtube. Yes I'm aware that Miyamoto hinted it with that Samurai Mario shirt but I never expected Samurai Bowser Castle, I loved it!

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Bought the game on launch day but haven't actually gotten around to playing it until tonight. Seems pretty cool so far! I've basically only done the first two worlds (and really only the second. The game rushed me out of that first Dino world pretty quickly. Gonna have to go back there soon.) I haven't been blown away yet, but it isn't disappointing me either. I assume I can use the wedding attire amiibo now and they won't break the game in anyway, right?

LowMax

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It doesn't lol. The only things that caused me trouble in that one were other players, the game's perspective, and 8-way movement throwing me off edges (outside of a few postgame levels).
That's the number one reason why 3D world doesn't work for me. The lack of camera control and no stereoscopic 3D made me misjudge jumps and fly off the edges of courses CONSTANTLY.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

This is way too adorable. Reported.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Beat the secret super level, it's not really a spoiler to say that.

Now that the dust has settled a bit, I honestly and truly believe this is the greatest 3D Mario. The level of polish and tightness to the design and layouts is just such a clear step above what anyone else is doing right now. It's genuinely one of those experiences that makes me feel like a kid again having my mind blown by novel level designs and ideas.

Nintendo is as on top of their game as they've ever been.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
How do I get the moon for the music notes on the west side of the Sand Kingdom? The one where the notes arc up dunes. I have no idea how you're supposed to get all of them so quickly.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
That's the number one reason why 3D world doesn't work for me. The lack of camera control and no stereoscopic 3D made me misjudge jumps and fly off the edges of courses CONSTANTLY.
Yep, in that way 3D Land is kinda better? World is blast multiplayer though so I hope we get a sequel where the camera and controls and revised a bit, could use a second shot.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok, so the two hidden
golden turnips
in the luncheon kingdom... What to do with them?

The
pot
is far away and kind of inaccessible.
It's not though. Do you see the yellow wall where the pan throwing bros are? create a path, jump trhough it and then there are those purple giant vegetables, you can actually jump over them directly into the village. you really just have to walk/jump in a straight line.

LowMax

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yep, in that way 3D Land is kinda better? World is blast multiplayer though so I hope we get a sequel where the camera and controls and revised a bit, could use a second shot.
That's what confused me when I saw 3D world for the first time. 3D land was built from the ground up for the 3D screen on the 3DS and used it in amazing groundbreaking ways... And the sequel doesn't have that? It's kind of like making a sequel to a movie but casting a different actor for the main character. It didn't work or feel right at all.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
This game is just really...happy? In a way only a Mario game can be. It warms my heart.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Are there limits on the moons you can buy for standard coins in the store? Any reason to buy them?

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
23031715_1519112514801886_4570788395917363745_n.jpg

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the story an hour ago. Disappointed tbh and Odyssey was my most anticipated game out of any game revealed for any platform. Still a good game for sure but far from the kind of review scores it got imo and nowhere near as good as the Galaxy games and in terms of pure platforming even 3D World. A solid 8.5/10 which may rise depending on how much post game content there is. The idea of collecting more of the same 'easy' moons does not appeal in the slightest at the moment though.

One thing that really puts me off is the fact you can just buy unlimited moons with coins... Like why even unlock more possible moons post game if you can just buy the max total? :/

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Finished up Lake Kingdom. I think that was my favorite so far. It looked great and was short enough it didn't wear out its welcome. Other stages so far have veered toward tedium as I criss cross and retread paths searching for moons.

Ex Lion Tamer

Oct 25, 2017
Finished up Lake Kingdom. I think that was my favorite so far. It looked great and was short enough it didn't wear out its welcome. Other stages so far have veered toward tedium as I criss cross and retread paths searching for moons.

I really loved the music of Lake Kingdom. Easily my favorite music of the game, and you're right the area was simply beautiful. The game design is just next level, I'm pretty sure the music subtly changes if you are in or out of the water. It was at that point when that everything came together for me and I understood just how brilliant and joyful the game really was.

Rigbones

Oct 25, 2017
So everyone was saying how
the 12th kingdom was super awesome, but I'm not sure I'm getting it. It looked kinda nice, but there wasn't really anything there? Does it open up after the post game or something?

Also wasn't too fond of
Bowser's Kingdom

Otherwise been loving it up until this point.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally found the last moon in Cap Kingdom. That was... way more challenging than I expected.

How they manage to cram 31 moons in this tiny "tutorial" area still blows my mind.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
In the post game now and I just 100% Cascade Kingdom. A fear of mine for the post-game was realized, that with the sheer number of moons it would become a chore when there are just a few remaining in a level. And of course, it's not some cleverly hidden pipe to a platforming challenge I'm missing, but some glowing rock or patch of grass that I need to butt-stomp.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not reading anything atm because I'm still not post game but did anyone else get a mother's 3 vibe music wise when ever you got close to the ship with the rabbits?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Makes you wonder, in regards to the post game
When you meet Peach in each of the worlds, yet she doesn't have a ship. Just found this an interesting observation.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying slowly going back to each kingdoms and 100% them.

I now have all the purple coins in Cap Kingdom and I'm 25 out of 31 Moons... It's really not that big of a place so I'm not sure where they could be? I see one that is super high in the sky and I have no idea how to get it but other than that...hmmm

Edit: Correction... I see two moons super high in the sky and I still have no idea how to get to them lol

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from everything else that's great about this game, I can't believe how often it just makes me smile a goofy kid smile. All the times.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished the main game. A bit disappointing that the Bowser fight was just a slightly ramped up version of the previous encounter (although to be expected) but everything after that was awesome. Using the cap on Bowser didn't even cross my mind and the 2D section with him was hilarious. I laughed out loud. And then.. that song? What the hell, haha. Pretty dumb, but kind of just fun dumb so I think it's alright. Funn that Peach was just like, "Uh, yeah, enough with this shit."