winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I have just finished the first part of Tostarena, the part where you beat the Broodal. Reminds me of one part of Teslagrad because...

Because the final boss uses his crown for combat, similar to how the Broodal used her hat for combat. The fact that she can hide in the hat and move around is like that boss who transports himself in a similar manner. The hat can emit fireballs, similar to the crown's ability to emit electricity. Finally, the crown is used as a weapon too, similar to the spiked hat.

Haven't gone through Tostarena at night, because I wanted to go back to Bonneton to see what's different. As soon as I found Uncle amiibo, I used my Waluigi amiibo to unlock the Waluigi costume (and the Luigi, Diddy and Classic Mario costumes as soon as I can do that). Kind of wish there's a Toad costume in this game too, because Toad's cap and clothes are a good fit for Mario, if all those amazing costumes are of any indication. After that, I found out what the missing slot in the captureable monsters is: Paragoombas! Surprised to see that the Paragoomba is supposedly the first capture, but they used the frog as the first capture instead.

Speaking of: Really amazing that Nintendo is able to convince everyone that Mario uses his cap to "Cap-ture" the things he threw his cap on, and not "possess".

Thank you for reading.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I need to go back and play Galaxy 2 again after I finish this. It's my favourite 3D Mario, but it's been seven years - time might expose some cracks. I don't notice all of Sunshine's absolute bullshit until the second time, nor Galaxy 1's spectical over substance level design (although it got a lot better later on).

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So I watched some vids and spoiled myself a bit.

Shit, I need a Switch! I'm so glad 3D Mario returns to his open-world roots. I never played Mario for its platforming challenge. Sounds weird but that's why I'm not much of a 2D Mario/3D World fan. I also never bothered to 100% complete the Galaxy games beyond the main campaign.

I'm almost sure this will keep my attention...That photo mode alone is going to eat my playtime.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Most of youse prolly already did this, but just in case you haven't, keep pestering the Sphynx for some fun. As an extra, try standing on its head.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I just got SMO today and I'm already over six hours in. So far, I like it more than 64 and Sunshine, and it holds up to Galaxy better than I expected. I thought the scale of the levels might dilute the experience some, but most areas aren't much bigger than areas in 64 and Sunshine. And I enjoy that. After all, it felt good to leave Lake Kingdom knowing that I hardly missed anything.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda regret getting sucked in by the hype.

The game is good & polished, but doesn't really leave a satisfying feeling when beaten.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Man I hate waggle so much. I thought we left this shit behind with the Wii?
Why would you think that when the system that immediately followed the Wii, which was also the system immediately before the Switch, used Wii Remotes as the main controller method when not using the GamePad? Joy-Cons are literally the evolution of the Wii Remote, they're just smaller and slide into the system on rails.

Makes you wonder, in regards to the post game
When you meet Peach in each of the worlds, yet she doesn't have a ship. Just found this an interesting observation.
The paintings bruv, remember the inside of her castle? She's like the Queen of Portals. And she can float, so she can easily get from the paintings to the main land.

(mat)

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm trying my hardest to stay out of this thread to avoid unmarked spoilers while I play, but I'm also incredibly frustrated. I have all the coins from
Cap Kingdom, Cascade Kingdom, Wooded Kingdom, and Lake Kingdom
but I CAN'T FOR THE LIFE OF ME find the 3 coins I'm missing in the
Sand Kingdom
. Am I missing something big? Are 3 coins unavailable to me right now, or am I seriously just having that hard of a time finding them all here. I'm going to throw my Switch out a window. Lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The sphynx who
gets pissed of when you answer all questions right
is hilarious.

It's pretty telling of this games charm when even a literal statue has personality.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished up the 11th Kingdom
Luncheon
with 282 Moons.

Just having a blast exploring and getting Moons here and there.

Last edited:

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I 100% the game and loved of for the most part, but I found that the game is at its most fun when you try to do most of what you can, but 100% Odyssey is not the most fun experience. Otherwise, amazing game.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
levels I wanted to go back to: NDC, resort town, gardens, toastarena, cap kingdom, falls

levels i'll go back to because moons everywhere: everywhere else

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it for the first time.... WOW! Incredible game. I haven't cared for a 3d platformer in ages.

There's so much creativity on display. It also felt super rewarding and light-hearted. Anytime I saw a little thing out of place I'd check it out and it would be some secret or otherwise. Also the cappy mechanic really made the game for me. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if I had just controlled Mario the whole time.

Looking forward to checking out the new content and going back to the old worlds to see all the stuff I missed. I don't think I'm going to 100% it but damn, I'm blown away.

After this I'll probably try to play Zelda (only played a few hours before getting side-tracked with this). Well, either that or maybe steamworld dig 2... or golf story.....

I don't like handhelds but the Switch has won me over. Gah damn.

THIJJ

Oct 26, 2017
New Donk City is the best thing ever. I had a smile on my face damn near the entire thing and the last bit was overload.

This game single handidly justified my switch purchase. I haven't bought a system for one game and actually had it pay off in a while

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this through and I can only come up with tiny nitpicks about this game but nothing ever major. Like I legitimately tried to find something that was just awful in this game and I couldn't find it. Damn. It's good, folks.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
That Luncheon Kingdom painting...

tenormdutr.gif

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the main game, onto the end game. Forgot to see how many moons I had before I started doing postgame, think it was around 280. Up to 340 or something now, and I'm going to try to get them all. Might be the first time I attempt to 100% a mario game.

Ryan_09

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
Well today sure was something.

I preordered the 3 wedding Amiibo and Goomba/Koopa Amiibo in 2 separate orders from Best Buy. I got the Koopa and Goomba in my mailbox, but on my doorstep was, I kid you not, *5* iPhone X (2 space gray/3 silver). The shipping box had my name, phone number, and address on it. My Best Buy purchase history didn't have an order for them, and thank goodness my bank accounts weren't short $5k.

Now, I don't want 1 iPhone, much less 5; I'm an Android/Samsung guy, myself. So obviously my wife and I called customer service and drove to the nearest Best Buy to return them. So after an hour of waiting for the CS rep (bless him, dude was working hard and already having a rough night) and 2 managers, we finally sorted things out. Turns out this isn't the first time this happened, and earlier this week someone was sent 3 Apple Watches they never ordered. Turns out some goof has been accidentally swapping shipping stickers.

So the CS guy was able to get all 3 Amiibo ready for in-store pick up by *probably* tomorrow, and I got a $25 gift card and one of those Odyssey Nintendo coins despite ordering the game itself from Amazon.

I'm honestly just relieved I can finally get my Amiibo after so many delays. The coin is great too. Happy to have my first Nintendo coin. :D

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Neat if irrelevant detail:

The skeleton costume
counts when entering the Tostarena backroom.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda early game spoiler/question:
Is there no second boss in Lake Kingdom?

I backtracked a bit to get some more moons, but I can't find it?!

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm missing 5 purple coins in Metro Kingdom and I have no idea where to look anymore. Any ideas where I could be missing them?

TheRealMjeed

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone having issues with the left joycon?

I only noticed it playing Odyssey. While using the joycons, the left one keep disconnecting and not responding and/or get stuck in one position!! This is driving me nuts.. any solutions to this cuz my brother loves playing with the joycons

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Got 500+ moons and then eventually reached and completed the hair-pulling
Darker Side of the Moon
content. Overall great game, just left feeling a bit disappointed as far as a final reward for busting my ass (yes, I know, I've still got many moons left to collect, but haven't decided if I will at this point--read up on what you get for doing that and it doesn't seem all that worth it). Miffed that all you get for beating
Darker Side of the Moon is a shitty cosmetic reward (Invisibility Cap). Was really hoping you could get a Tanooki 'costume' in this game :( (if if it 'breaks' the game, it'd be a fun prize).

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying my hardest to stay out of this thread to avoid unmarked spoilers while I play, but I'm also incredibly frustrated. I have all the coins from
Cap Kingdom, Cascade Kingdom, Wooded Kingdom, and Lake Kingdom
but I CAN'T FOR THE LIFE OF ME find the 3 coins I'm missing in the
Sand Kingdom
. Am I missing something big? Are 3 coins unavailable to me right now, or am I seriously just having that hard of a time finding them all here. I'm going to throw my Switch out a window. Lol.

To the left of the town on the edge of the world there are 3 floating over the edge.

GUTS

Oct 26, 2017
I just wanna say that the game is a blast to play so far and Mario is SOO much fun to control.

Also Wooded Kingdom Theme is too good. Way too good.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
240 and a bit, not interested in playing hours and hours more just to
get another kingdom.

For me it was fun playing hours and hours more because collecting the moons is inherently enjoyable, not because I wanted to unlock something.

Not sure it's fair to say a game isn't satisfying to beat when you've done only about a quarter of it.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game today (last boss) - thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm at about 350 moons and I intend on going back to get every one of them!
The game is excellent, however I don't think it was as good as Galaxy 1 and 2 personally. There is some great stuff in there, and I enjoyed exploring most of the worlds. But I thought the Galaxy games were a bit more creative and challenging (at least so far), and there was an overall stronger focus on platforming.

I think the hat mechanic is clever and some of the things you could control were really cool, particularly when they were unexpected. However I think it kind of made combat trivial. Most of the enemies were just fodder for whatever power you gained that world and/or easily avoidable/controllable. As a result, the game leans heavily on the exploration and discovery side of things - which is great fun when you're in a world you're immersed in. But a few of the worlds were a bit boring.

Played the entire game without using waggle, didn't really run into any issues. I'll see how the remaining moons go, but looking forward to checking out some new stuff!

Edit: I should add, one of the other reasons I preferred Galaxy (particularly 2) was the music. A few tracks stood out for me in this one, but overall it was pretty forgettable.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Why would you think that when the system that immediately followed the Wii, which was also the system immediately before the Switch, used Wii Remotes as the main controller method when not using the GamePad? Joy-Cons are literally the evolution of the Wii Remote, they're just smaller and slide into the system on rails.
I don't remember using waggle on 3D World, or any Wii U game. Or BotW and any Switch games I've played so far, for that matter. At least not to this extent, where I'm required to constantly shake the controller if I want my flying Goomba to move at anything other than a snail's pace.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty close to getting all collectable moons and purple coins. So far, only Sand Kingdom gave me any shit, every world felt easier in doing so.