• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lizzy

Oct 27, 2017
Any chance Nintendo will patch in button prompts for the motion controls? Well, I guess the only useful thing is the hat going around in a circle....

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
So Im just watching some gameplay, and does anybody find the actual graphics/style to be so very .... weird? In a good way.

I dont know if its the clashing of Mario and the landscapes, but it looks like a different game almost, and it's so strange to see Mario running around in these worlds. It looks really good, but its like I've never seen another game quite look like what Im seeing. Its hard to explain, but I want to play this because I want to see how it actually looks in person if it looks as weird as it does on Youtube.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wish you could turn the visuals and audio off for moons you've already found. That's the only thing bugging me as I clean up the remaining moons in each kingdom.

gaiadyne

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A trick to winning all of the slot machines. Throw the hat on the side in a straight line through the slots. You won't get all of the slots but for the ones you do get, they will all be the same. Then when you go for the remaining slots, throw the hat on the icon before the one you want.

Oct 25, 2017
The fucking final act in this game...

14755431.gif

A trick to winning all of the slot machines. Throw the hat on the side in a straight line through the slots. You won't get all of the slots but for the ones you do get, they will all be the same. Then when you go for the remaining slots, throw the hat on the icon before the one you want.
Yep figured this out way too late and felt stupid lol. This game really does reward creative thinking.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
You can get all the slots in a single throw if you use the ground throw. It goes a longer distance than a normal throw.

Gvitor

Oct 27, 2017
Just unlocked the final challenge. I really want to play it, but I'm sitting at 4k coins and I'm sure I'll lose at least a thousand before I finish it. I might grind for coins to buy the costumes before trying my hand at this.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, you guys had trouble with the slot machines?

I got all of them on my first try. Literally just stand right in front of each one and throw Cappy as it's about to reach the moon symbol

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game and it was quite good but damn some of the final dungeons oh man.

LOVED seeing YOSHI!!!!!! and mario 64 graphics with costume

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, you guys had trouble with the slot machines?

I got all of them on my first try. Literally just stand right in front of each one and throw Cappy as it's about to reach the moon symbol
I don't think anyone had trouble with them, but you can actually hit the moon icon with a single throw if you aim from the side instead of aiming in front of each individual one.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the slots are cool. They're not super interesting, but they're another example of what Odyssey is so good at. There's always another, better way. No rng, not too difficult. Just think outside the box and you got it.

MONSTER

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think Metro Kingdom is one of my favourite places! The beginning segment of it was so cool and the closing segment of it was just breathtakingly beautiful! Also the music was a slay

I really enjoyed The Lost Kingdom, cool art direction and the wigglers were fun to play as

not sure yet about the Moon... maybe because the previous worlds were all beautiful and bright that may affect my outlook on it. Also it is a shame the Cloud Kingdom is soooooooooooooo small... like what? Wouldve been awesome to see more of that place and same with the Ruined Kingdom. Disappointed the most with those two

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I am getting familiar with the jump, throw hat and jump into the hat for a boost now, I still mess up sometimes because I ground stomp instead but being able to pull it off when I want is great so far.

Also I thought I was going crazy because I saw moon on my map disappearing and moving every time I teleported somewhere. Turns out it were those damn seagulls again!

i think Metro Kingdom is one of my favourite places! The beginning segment of it was so cool and the closing segment of it was just breathtakingly beautiful! Also the music was a slay

I really enjoyed The Lost Kingdom, cool art direction and the wigglers were fun to play as

not sure yet about the Moon... maybe because the previous worlds were all beautiful and bright that may affect my outlook on it. Also it is a shame the Cloud Kingdom is soooooooooooooo small... like what? Wouldve been awesome to see more of that place and same with the Ruined Kingdom. Disappointed the most with those two

The moon was a great surprise but hoped it was an actual kingdom like all the others with something to do in it, practicing your moves was great in zero gravity.

Last edited:

macapala

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm freakin' Diddy Kong in a Mario game! DIDDY KONG!!! My opinion has changed vastly over the last few days. I'm lovin' it.
diddy-kong-suit-super-mario-odyssey-screenshot.jpeg

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just did the volleyball mission, hit the target 15 easily but getting 100 was harder the highest I got was 41, then 61 and then 98...this one was frustrated me.

But I eventually hit 100 but I had to periodically pause the game to calm myself down and after that I just kept going with final number being 121, do it as cappy is much easier than with just Mario as Cappy moves faster.

Now on the hunt for the last 3 purple coins and I can then move on to the next kingdom.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Took some time after beating the game to get my thoughts together. Overall, I think Odyssey is a great game but I liked the Galaxy games better.

My biggest issue stems from how easy it is to get the Power Moons. It's totally robbed me of motivation and it doesn't feel like an accomplishment when you do get them. Why bother working hard to get them when you can just buy them or gave them essentially handed to you? There's that one place where you can buy 10 power moons at once. Why???

The game was also just way too easy. I appreciated all the really neat mechanics presented by Cappy but I wish it was more challenging. New Donk City and onwards was a joy ride but it was over far too soon. It would have been nice if each Kingdom was at least 2-3x as large as they currently are.

Even though I know theres a lot of post game, I'm having a hard time revisiting. I stumbled upon some new "traditional platforming" levels and I had a blast with those. I just wish I didnt have to work so hard to find them and that they were more common.

Jayveer

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish I didnt have to work so hard to find them and that they were more common.

I don't understand this, you say the moons are too easy to find and don't have motivation to get them, yet when there's something you like you don't want to put in the effort to achieve it? If you actually enjoy those stages there's more motivation to find them than there should be in finding a power moon.

Oct 26, 2017
And that's that.
Every moon collected.

I had a blast playing this game, I can't see anything else this year beating it out as my personal GOTY.

Oh, and I played 99% of the game using the pro controller. The only time I used the joycons was while cheesing the Volleyball moon in 2 player mode.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Oh wow so the
broodal boss rush on the moon is without any checkpoints? The moon grav makes these fights significantly more annoying, didn't get past the second fight with base health.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I got all the purple coins in sand kingdom. Some of those were EVIL.

Jayveer

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow so the
broodal boss rush on the moon is without any checkpoints? The moon grav makes these fights significantly more annoying, didn't get past the second fight with base health.

Yep, but as you play it more you'll start adjusting and will probably be able to get to the end of it with all health in tact, however if you do want to get an extra 3 hp you can throw your hat around the stalk of the fruit just before the electricity spark thing to get a heart upgrade.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously this vanishing floor moon on the dark side can go suck a fuck for all I care.

Hardest moon yet in the game for me.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finished
Darker Side
today. Wasn't actually too bad, although it certainly took me quite a few tries. I never actually got to Champion's Road in 3d World (never got all the collectibles you need to unlock it, though I'm thinking of going back to that game now and finish it 100%). I'm assuming that one's a lot harder due to all the complaints I always hear about it.

On another note, I'm not too big of a fan of the 3D Mario games' tendency to have a good chunk of their post-game content just be rehashed versions of prior challanges in the game, be it boss fight rematches or re-used challenge rooms with some slight changes to them. It's actually one of the reasons I never really finished 3D World cause I couldn't be bothered to do all those Mushroom and Flower world levels. 2D Mario games always have their extra worlds be completely new, very challenging and creative levels, so it's a shame the 3D don't match up with them in this regard. At least Odyssey has a whole bunch of other post-game content throughout all the kindgoms, so it isn't all just re-hashes.

I think I did all the photo hints except for the one in the Cap Kingdom, with the weird colorful figures standing in a row. No idea what kindgom that one is even supposed to be in still, though I don't want to just be told the answer yet. Oh and also the
one in the Sand Kingdom featuring the trace-walk Koopa and a group of tumbleweed bushes. I walked all around there, ground-pounding around every bush, yet I can't seem to find the right one. Is it close by to the Koopa?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I've had so precious little time to play this game since it came out. I got another good three hours this morning. Just got past Bowser's world.

Got damn this game is good. So good. For me, this SM64 format is better than the Mario Galaxy format. I can't believe it's been so long waiting for a sequel to SM64 that could actually surpass it but it's here and it absolutely delivers.

Odyssey feels like a greater success than botw. Botw is amazing but this game is feeling like a more complete execution of what it's trying to do.

Oct 26, 2017
*snip*
Oh and also the
one in the Sand Kingdom featuring the trace-walk Koopa and a group of tumbleweed bushes. I walked all around there, ground-pounding around every bush, yet I can't seem to find the right one. Is it close by to the Koopa?

It's quite far from the Koopa, the picture contains an additional hint as to which way you should go looking.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Yep, but as you play it more you'll start adjusting and will probably be able to get to the end of it with all health in tact, however if you do want to get an extra 3 hp you can throw your hat around the stalk of the fruit just before the electricity spark thing to get a heart upgrade.

Oh so I can get that heart every time? Oh that'll definitely make things easier, thanks.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Find the game less enjoyable post game when you don't discover anything new (except the 500 moons things, I know). I'll take a break and go back to Mario + Rabbids.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Are you talking about the one with all the bullet bills?

No it's another room involving a lot of rolling. You have to roll over a P switch (which Mario often misses and rolls straight over much to my annoyance) making a long platform appear for about 20 seconds and you have to make it to the other side before it vanishes again. It's rather infuriating because I'm not the greatest at controlling Mario when he's rolling.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No it's another room involving a lot of rolling. You have to roll over a P switch (which Mario often misses and rolls straight over much to my annoyance) making a long platform appear for about 20 seconds and you have to make it to the other side before it vanishes again. It's rather infuriating because I'm not the greatest at controlling Mario when he's rolling.

Oh yeah that one gave me some trouble too. The rolling part wasn't too bad for me but afterwards there's a jumping segment that goes way too fast for me, although I finally managed to do it after many attempts.

Beanman25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just arrived at
The Moon Kingdom! Wow, didn't expect the game to take this turn! It's been such a good ride so far!!

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Finished the game and the ending was exactly what I thought would happen lol.

At 348 moons doing the post game stuff now. I doubt I'll get all the moons, but I am having fun doing some of the harder challenges (which aren't really that much harder so far, to be fair).

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So I feel like the fact that Mario has a
nose bone
is a much more substantial piece of evidence for him not being human than his different proportions compared to the New Donkers.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
How do I get the Diving challenge from the Lighthouse in Seaside Kingdom? Even with long jump and dive I don't get far enough to get the timed moon.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Welp,
dark side of the moon is bollocks. I'm assuming after you beat the four Broodals you have to fight the big robot one or the chain chomp one, with no checkpoints whatsoever. Some of the boss rematches improve the fights by making them harder and more frantic, others are just made more annoying with the addition of floaty gravity or a slippy floor.

I've been greatly enjoying my time with the post-game content but that's more because I finished the main story without spending ages hunting for moons so I've got a lot of stuff to catch up on. Not expecting it to reach the heights of Champion's Road though.
The Mushroom Kingdom is really cool, but at the same time I was a little let down that Peach's castle was just for show, and not something you could fully explore. One thing I really liked was the tree from 3D Land making an appearance.

Christine

Oct 25, 2017
Gone

I got all the slots with the one sideways throw