• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8232

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't love this game. I like it. Some times I get bored though.

Honestly? I think it might be my least favorite 3d mario. It's better than n64 from a technical standpoint, but maybe not an innovative one.

The level designs are just not that good. It is a far cry from the bliss of galaxy 1 and 2.
I do enjoy the hat mechanic, but it's really not all different from what Kirby did 20+ years ago.

Power moons suck. There is an over saturation of them to the point that it doesn't feel special getting them.

I mean, it's definitely a competant game. I enjoyed it. But it's a 7/10

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand this, you say the moons are too easy to find and don't have motivation to get them, yet when there's something you like you don't want to put in the effort to achieve it? If you actually enjoy those stages there's more motivation to find them than there should be in finding a power moon.

I guess it's because as fun as those levels are, since it's all post game, I kinda feel like they don't matter. It's just extra stuff. Which is great that when I want to want to revisit the game, there will be some fun extra levels for me to play. However, since I finished the main campaign, I lost motivation to go look for them afterwards since I feel like I "beat" the game already. I wish they were available during the main campaign.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck how do I
catch the bird who stole Cappy in the post-game Lost Kingdom bonus world? No matter how I jump at him the bird flies away, I can't even drop the platform he lands on and then jump on him from above because he jumps back. I have no idea how I catch this bird

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
No it's another room involving a lot of rolling. You have to roll over a P switch (which Mario often misses and rolls straight over much to my annoyance) making a long platform appear for about 20 seconds and you have to make it to the other side before it vanishes again. It's rather infuriating because I'm not the greatest at controlling Mario when he's rolling.
Tip: once your roll is up to speed, stop rolling and immediately start jumping (but be careful not to long jump). You only slow down while you're running, so if you just keep going jump>double jump>triple jump>repeat without pause, you should make it. (It's also practically required for the second set of platforms in that room.)

Oh, and as for rolling over the P-Switch; I was doing that too. Just don't boost your roll for a little bit before you get to it, the timing isn't that tight.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm growing increasingly annoyed by the framerate in New Donk City. I feel like I'm seeing frame drops every time I turn a corner, or an auto save kicks in.

I'm playing post game now, so maybe the increased activities are adding to the issues.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck how do I
catch the bird who stole Cappy in the post-game Lost Kingdom bonus world? No matter how I jump at him the bird flies away, I can't even drop the platform he lands on and then jump on him from above because he jumps back. I have no idea how I catch this bird
When he lands on a lower platform, raise it.

Jrmint

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Just beat the main story after a week or so of playing. (late to the party but better late than never)

Holy crap.

That has to be the best ending to a game I've ever played. Legitimately I had a huge smile plastered onto my face for a good half hour and it wouldn't go away. Final boss was actually pretty tough by Mario standards, but rewarding, and that final section... hoo boy. Coupled with the music it was amazing.

Before the last three or so kingdoms it was shaping up so that BotW would be my GotY, but that ending is seriously making me reconsider. Merio might have snuck past Zorldo.

Easily deserves the praise it's gotten, and it's up there with Galaxy as one of the best. Am also looking forward to playing the probably extensive post game, but rn I think I'll take a breather.
Just recently finished and I agree with this praise 100%. I truly believe it's the best ending of any Nintendo game ever. I was laughing and smiling so hard it brought me to tears.

Jayveer

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck how do I
Just like when you first got Cappy back in the world you have to ground pound the block next to the one the bird lands on for the see-saw effect. You'll have to set it up in advance though so that the bird will initially go to the lowered block and you can pound the raised one.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
For people playing
Dark Side of the Moon

Just before the electric pylon that takes you to the boss carrot, throw your hat at one of the apple stalks (if facing the pylon, it'll be to your right and it's the second closest one) for a health up heart.

Last edited:

Messiek

Oct 25, 2017
Finally 100% the game. What a masterpiece!
I had a blast playing it from start to finish. There are a lot of great and hard challenges.
The ending of the game made my jaw drop.

No it's another room involving a lot of rolling. You have to roll over a P switch (which Mario often misses and rolls straight over much to my annoyance) making a long platform appear for about 20 seconds and you have to make it to the other side before it vanishes again. It's rather infuriating because I'm not the greatest at controlling Mario when he's rolling.

For that first section I just did consecutive long jumps and took advantage of the "spread arms running boost" between each jump.

At the end you will have to do a long jump-dive hat bouce-dive combo to reach the platform though. I never even knew that rolling was the supposed method.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to metro kingdom today after 200 moons :P

Now this jumprope moon is driving me crazy! Got 77 on my first try but cant get even close to that now.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
So I've beaten the game and I've got a question about
the Mushroom Kingdom. I've done everything I can think to do in the level, but there's still a bunch of non-achievement moons. I saw a clip from a video showing more NPCs in the stage than I have now though. Am I supposed to break more of those moon blocks in other kingdoms?[/spoiler

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's a bit weird how the New Donk citizens are different from Pauline.
Yeah for consistency's sake. I don't mind that Mario looks radically different, I don't even mind that they look like bad Unity asset flips lol. That stuff is like, inherently hilarious. But it is weird that their mayor is in the normal Mario artstyle. Clashing styles is this game's thing--aside from Mario himself looking out of place, it's a running theme in the Kingdoms he visits--but Pauline's the mayor so why would she look different, BUT she's a classic Mario character first and foremost. So it's kind of a conundrum no matter how you slice it. I think they made the right call though.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Good Lord that (post-game spoilers)
woodpecker section in darker side of the moon
keeps tripping me up. Think I'll pick this up again tomorrow.

Does anyone know how much I have left after clearing that section?

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Pauline might be mixed race, with a New Donker father and a mother who's whatever race Mario is (let's call it, Cartoon Italian)

That would explain why Pauline doesn't quite look like Mario but doesn't quite look like a New Donker either

Also on the subject of taking this stuff way too seriously, I increasingly find myself entertaining the theory that Bowser Jr. is the lovechild of Bowser and Madame Broode

This also raises the question of whether antihero Nabbit is Bowser Jr's twin sibling who took more after his mother Madame Broode

Oct 30, 2017
Well I did dark side of the moon and now I'm Calling it there.

It's a good game - and worth a play.

Yet I feel a little disappointed with the game overall.

I was expecting ...more

Trade in tomorrow anyway.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my 500th moon. I didn't realize how little of the game I did when I first beat story mode with 225 moons. I figured I did about half the stuff, but now I'm realizing it's way less. I've been working my way through each kingdom post game and I just started sweeping through New Donk again. Even after two pretty thorough explorations of the first half of the game I'm still missing 5-10 moons in those kingdoms. I'll probably do one more sweep after I finish and then decide if I just want to look up what I've missed or not. I don't want to end up spend hours and hours looking for 1 or 2 missing moons on the same levels.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the weird gestures and sound that the humans from the cap store do.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished the game... that final act and the Kingdom that comes after the credits.

LCYVx9F.gif

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I played this docked only and it was gorgeous for the most part. Great art direction.

Anyway, beat it earlier today and it was awesome. The post-game stuff is pretty awesome. Fuck everyone who spoiled stuff on Twitter especially for some costumes.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
**Spoiler Warning**

I'm tired and I'm a bit ill so I had to stop playing after a few hours. THAT SAID! I beat Mario Odyssey and holy fucking shit, this is like the best game I've played in a long ass time. It's so fucking good. I love using animals as power ups, I love being able to play as Bowser, I love the use of a vocal track, I love being able to PECK AS A BORD. PECK, PECK, PECK!

I like the big ass realistic dragon outta nowhere and it is weird as fuck for it to be in a Mario game but I'll fucking take it. Amazing game and I can't wait to do more Mushroom Kingdom tomorrow.

This game takes a little bit from all the 3D Mario's but it also does a lot of unique stuff too and it works out really well.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm done with this game. It's just not rewarding. For every one really fun and interesting moon there are ten boring and monotonous ones. Also the game is way too easy, at least ten or so hours in. I know some people like that because it's comfy and cozy, but I need some stakes.

I'm glad it seems like a lot of people are enjoying it, but it feels like any old open world game without any meaningful progression. Maybe I'll come back and play it another time, but it's becoming a chore to turn it on.

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
For people playing
Dark Side of the Moon

Just before the electric pylon that takes you to the boss carrot, throw your hat at one of the apple stalks (if facing the pylon, it'll be to your right and it's the second closest one) for a health up heart.

You've got to be fucking kidding me. I just put a solid hour in before I got through this *facepalm*

Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey truly feels like a postcard vacation. I feel genuine pangs of sadness leaving worlds behind. This is the first time Mario has felt like a journey to me.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Really weird that they only put 97 coins in the
Mushrooms Kingdom
Bold choice

Seriously, did I just lose the ability to see the color purple or is there like one super devious spot?

Innuendo84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I've beaten dark side and darker side. Is it worth it to 100% and something cool unlock? I really don't want to hunt those paintings, herd sheep, stack gombas, dj for toad etc. I think I've seen what the game has to offer, so I just plan on selling it. Or can you guys point to a cool substage that I might have missed. Something like the 2d stage on the foldable japanese picture in bowser kingdom.

Also finding peach in every kingdom or finding al the warp painting does something extra?

Jayveer

Oct 25, 2017
Really weird that they only put 97 coins in the
Mushrooms Kingdom
Bold choice

Seriously, did I just lose the ability to see the color purple or is there like one super devious spot?

There are 100 coins, you can see the totals by pressing select and then Y. The last 3 for me where hanging off a ledge near the waterfall that goes over the edge near where you race Koopa and Dorie is, not saying it will be the same for you but that was the last three for me.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
So I've beaten dark side and darker side. Is it worth it to 100% and something cool unlock? I really don't want to hunt those paintings, herd sheep, stack gombas, dj for toad etc. I think I've seen what the game has to offer, so I just plan on selling it. Or can you guys point to a cool substage that I might have missed. Something like the 2d stage on the foldable japanese picture in bowser kingdom.

Also finding peach in every kingdom or finding al the warp painting does something extra?

Nah, you've already seen the main end game content. The other unlockables aren't worth the effort if you have no interest in the journey for them, even if there are quite a few fun Power Moons to get imo. If you're curious, we posted videos of the final 100% rewards:
All Primary Moons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoMUkjZ14AY
999 Moons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEwSOE5B4bw

Last edited:

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Welp, I beat the game. Everything from Luncheon Kingdom onward was just flat-out awesome, and it took this game from "great" to "masterpiece", in my eyes.

I get the complaints that the platforming is easy, even by Mario standards. Part of it is how easy it is to control Mario, how versatile his moveset is, and how the platforming segments don't often feel like they take his supreme agility into account. I think Mario's moves are moreso designed to make traversing large open spaces a blast, first and foremost, while making the classic platforming gameplay kind of an afterthought. Super Mario 64 is much the same way, but controlling Mario is more difficult in that game, so regular platforming is a stiffer challenge. So, yeah, I think platforming could stand to be harder in terms of platform placement, hazards, ect., but I don't think classic platforming gameplay is, like, the whole experience, or the only fun thing.

Last edited:

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up for anyone who is able, I really recommend playing in 2 player mode. Makes a lot of challenges wwwwaaaayyyyyy easier. Especially boss fights.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I swear some of these purple coins are impossible to find. At least half of the kingdoms I have less than 5 purple coins to find but they elude me.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the Luncheon Kingdom and the last boss was amazing.

The cock fight battle where you serve up waves of Lava was so inspired. And this game is so great that that is like a 5 minute highlight and I assume I am like 60% of the way done the main quest. Such a great game!

Kids getting more playtime than me on the weekend otherwise I think I would have beaten it and accumulated several hundred moons, but it is so fun to play and enjoy this game with the whole family. Even though it is one of the better games I have ever played it is going to be even more memorable to me because I got to play it with my kids.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I just finished the Luncheon Kingdom and the last boss was amazing.

The cock fight battle where you serve up waves of Lava was so inspired. And this game is so great that that is like a 5 minute highlight and I assume I am like 60% of the way done the main quest. Such a great game!

Kids getting more playtime than me on the weekend otherwise I think I would have beaten it and accumulated several hundred moons, but it is so fun to play and enjoy this game with the whole family. Even though it is one of the better games I have ever played it is going to be even more memorable to me because I got to play it with my kids.

Probably my favorite boss in the game. Either that or the final boss.

There were 3 in the penultimate kingdom that I still have nightmares about

Nice to see you here, Andre.

MR ARCADE

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
OMG the ending was so amazing. When you
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Nintendo xoxo

superpretend

Oct 26, 2017
Just completed
Secret 2D Treasure
and it's simultaneously one of the best and one of the most infuriating Mario levels of all time.
The first where you have to stay aligned with the 2D background and avoid the bullet bills is amazing. But the controls when you're walking around the the circular platforms towards the end? Who designed those controls? So unintuitive!