• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
It's disappointing that the game is built around motion controls rather than traditional controls, but I'm still excited. My copy and my Bowser amiibo should be arriving today from Amazon and Best Buy, respectively.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm spending hours in areas thinking I'm finding everything and when I check there's still 20 or so moons to find.

This is insane!

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
God it's just joyous. Having just, this morning, found out my g/f has been seeing another guy behind my back, this is what I need to cheer me up! So colourful and inventive.

Strider

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Still about 4 hours until I can pick up my copy... These finals hours are killing me lol

I'm spending hours in areas thinking I'm finding everything and when I check there's still 20 or so moons to find.

This is insane!

That's honestly really cool to hear. Means there's tons of content and secrets to find :D Hopefully I can find every moon without ever resorting to a guide lol

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
Did anyone who is getting all of the odyssey amiibo from amazon UK got told their bowser got delayed? The other 2 are coming which is nice but would have liked all of them to arrive

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
isnt that the one with the three rooms? I did that one, I'm talking about the one on top of that huge rock where you fought the rabbit with the golden chain chomp

Wondering the same. Had to give up on that one and moved on.

Ok so im about what..4 hours in?

So its a kind of hot take but not too hot i guess-while i am enjoying it, im not blown away by it.

So far the "levels" feel kind of weird and not really that well designed. As someone who loves the mario games because of their level design (mario 64 and galaxy 2 are best in class to me) so far none of the levels have been that memorable and some have felt even...gimmicky?

In any case i am enjoying it, but i while others are like "oh my god so many moons to collect!" thats not really why i play mario games. The levels so far have ranged from "decent" to "good/solid". The game does not really have any lows yet, and it controls fantastically and it looks great. But to people who have finished it (not many i know) do the levels get much better than the initial 5 worlds?

Also, the music is, unfortunately, kind of bland so far :( I hate to sound like a bit of a downer but i DO like it and mario is one of my favourite series since i was a child (the 2 above games mentioned 2 of my favourite games of ALL TIME).

What I love about the levels is that there are so many nooks and crannies to discover and explore. It feels like there are so many little secrets hidden in every area. Every time something sticks out to me I get rewarded for following up on it. Can't really get much better than that.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Ughhhh my Best Buy tracking info says that it's still waiting for FedEx pickup, and it's nearly 4 hours away at that. The wait today is going to be agonizing :( Should've just done in-store pickup but the subway costs would practically negate the GCU discount.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Searching for moons is so rewarding. I always have an aha moment whenever i find a new one. The places many of them are hidden...i'm just floored by the creativity on display. Making the search itself so much fun.

duxstar

Oct 26, 2017
First hour or so in and i love it, only problem is im mainly a handheld mode only player and found out some moons are motion control only.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so im about what..4 hours in?

So its a kind of hot take but not too hot i guess-while i am enjoying it, im not blown away by it.

So far the "levels" feel kind of weird and not really that well designed. As someone who loves the mario games because of their level design (mario 64 and galaxy 2 are best in class to me) so far none of the levels have been that memorable and some have felt even...gimmicky?

In any case i am enjoying it, but i while others are like "oh my god so many moons to collect!" thats not really why i play mario games. The levels so far have ranged from "decent" to "good/solid". The game does not really have any lows yet, and it controls fantastically and it looks great. But to people who have finished it (not many i know) do the levels get much better than the initial 5 worlds?

Also, the music is, unfortunately, kind of bland so far :( I hate to sound like a bit of a downer but i DO like it and mario is one of my favourite series since i was a child (the 2 above games mentioned 2 of my favourite games of ALL TIME).

I've only played Cascade Kingdom so far, but I haven't played a Mario game with level design and music that good since the original Galaxy. Maybe it's the modern John Williams effect of people thinking the new stuff is 'eh' when they first hear it, but then blown away about how good it was when they look back at it after a period of time.

Oct 25, 2017
First hour or so in and i love it, only problem is im mainly a handheld mode only player and found out some moons are motion control only.
If you really want to mitigate the shaking, try upping the sensitivity to max. But nah none of the moons REQUIRE motion controls to get. And the most important move (spin attack) can be done by spinning around and then attacking.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Best buy or UPS flubbed on my order somewhere and now it looks to be delayed with no ETA. I'm mostly considering just driving to a nearby best buy and trying my luck at picking one up and trying to return/sell off the shipped copy when it comes in. Anyone know how hard it is to return a shipped game to best buy by chance? This really put a damper on my morning :/

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played up utnil the 5th world, i enjoy it still, but it's definitely a bit repetitive. The graphics never really get much better and get imho worse. That forest level wit hthe flat textures, lol.

Fun game though.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is downloaded and updated on my Switch. Can't wait to get home and play it tonight, today is going to be a looooong day at work...

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had a quick lunch and squeezed in about 45 minutes of Mario Odyssey. The Switch is a wonderful console.
I have it with me at work, as well. But can only play it on the train, unfortunately. But that's something, at least. The Switch is indeed a wonderful console.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Just jumped to the 2nd real world and im having a blast.
I love that you see some strange thing and say, maybe i can get there, or maybe i can brake it, and bam yup theres a moon.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Just popped into my letterbox. Updating both game and system

EDIT

I can't get over Mario's shiny nose and shiny boots... I'm blushing :O

Last edited:

Hixx

Oct 25, 2017
Booted my Switch this morning, only a black screen. Couldn't get to the OS homescreen but could still use the Capture button. So the game was running, just totally unresponsive. Held the power button and pressed restart console aaaaand it did nothing but make it completely unresponsive. Cool. Screen is still on but no response to pressing the power button or any other button now... so. What can I do? If I put it into the dock it still sends a signal to my TV, it's just a black screen. I want to play more Mario :((

Blackquill

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still on New Donk City and my least favorite for now is the Forest one, I don't even remember what I've done there

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Booted my Switch this morning, only a black screen. Couldn't get to the OS homescreen but could still use the Capture button. So the game was running, just totally unresponsive. Held the power button and pressed restart console aaaaand it did nothing but make it completely unresponsive. Cool. Screen is still on but no response to pressing the power button or any other button now... so. What can I do? If I put it into the dock it still sends a signal to my TV, it's just a black screen. I want to play more Mario :((

Maybe you need a factory reset?

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I can't find the post anymore but someone talked and even posted a video of himself using the "LZ+Y"-move while falling-move to basically jump huge gaps by throwing Cappie in between these moves. Basically, throw cappy, LZ+Y to dash forward onto Cappie, throw Cappie again, repeat.

However, I can't do this more than once in the air. The second time Cappie alyways disappears before I can reach him, no matter if I hold the Y button or not. Any tips?

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my in store pick up from wal mart was delayed until tuesday wtf. like, I know yall got plenty of copies how is that possible

cancelled that shit, getting it at best buy now

only a long ass work day in between me and odyssey

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uh can you tell me where i can view that map where I see how many moons there are? I don't have it yet.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a little disappointed all moves can't be performed without motion controls, but Super Mario Galaxy 2 is my favourite game of all time so I can't dislike it that much.

For the first time ever, I'll try playing a Switch game with Joy-Con instead of the pro contorller. Maybe I'll like it.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Is the day one patch essential to play? I just moved yesterday and won't have internet until tomorrow but kind of want to play tonight.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
Any one else having difficulties in executing the upward hat throw? Half the time it registers the motion as downward throw.