• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DoubleYou

Oct 26, 2017
Bowser's Kingdom might have been the best level Nintendo has made for any game in recent years. The presentation is top notch. Felt like I was in a dream at times. Those bouncy flags, the music, the stage itself and of course that awesome bird mechanic. Favorite part of the game by far!

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
Man, I actually got goosebumps when I fired this game up yesterday. I've only played in portable mode, so I definitely noticed how much they want you to play with detached joy-cons. Hopefully I can put in a few more hours today.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
mario-dancepxjdk.gif

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Almost done with the story.
8/10 game for me tbh. Didn't find it incredible in any way, just good fun throughout.
Not really a mario fan so all those references and charms were lost on me.
Galaxy is still top tier for me. Odyssey while fun feels instantly forgettable.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how some people are getting the top race times. For the Lake Kingdom one I have a good idea what they do but the execution for it seems impossible.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I'm on the fence with this. The low difficulty and the over the top amount of moons are not my cup of tea..
Since i like a good challenge in my games this is an issue for me. If Mario controls that well, why they give us not a purpouse to take full advantages of these strength? It seems like a missed opportunity to make it a more engaging and rewarding expirience..

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
I've quite liked the music so far, but the Luncheon Kingdom themes outside of the town music were disappointingly 'standard lava level'. Since they varied up the visual presentation so much compared to the typical lava world, I'd have hoped the music would display a similar kind of freshness.

DDayton

Oct 27, 2017
As I progress through the game, I'm getting progressively worried that a certain character isn't going to appear...
I found Yoshi's House, met Pauline, and yet I'm starting to think Luigi won't appear at all.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing in portable mode this weekend while at PAX and loving it. I'm looking forward to getting home and seeing it on the big screen.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I finished it and really, really liked it. I am going to go back and get the moons I missed now (I'm not 100%ing it though probably).

Oct 27, 2017
In New Donk City finally and having a BLAST. It reminds me of Ricco Harbor from Sunshine -- a giant metallic playground.

(LOOOOOVED Lake and Lost Kingdom, too. Was not a huge fan of Wooden Kingdom, however.)

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Finished up the main story this morning.Currently at 400+ moons. Really love the game. I think its better than the Galaxy Games, though I do think the art direction can be hit or miss. Some worlds look great, others have weird UE4 fan game look to them.

Oct 25, 2017
Not really feeling the game. It's polished and there's a lot of clever level design snippets, but the worlds are too huge and I don't really feel a drive to explore. It almost feels like there's too many moons and you can get some too easily. Doesn't feel rewarding. It's a good game for sure, but doesn't live up to previous entries in the series to me. Just has this vibe of hollowness that I can put my finger on. After the first hour or so it runs out of tricks for the most part and you're just going through the motions of finding more moons. I guess I expected a different experience. Oh well, still a good game and a solid addition to the system's library. I'd recommend it for every switch owner but it won't make my top 10 for the year.
What the fuck am I reading?

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not really feeling the game. It's polished and there's a lot of clever level design snippets, but the worlds are too huge and I don't really feel a drive to explore. It almost feels like there's too many moons and you can get some too easily. Doesn't feel rewarding. It's a good game for sure, but doesn't live up to previous entries in the series to me. Just has this vibe of hollowness that I can put my finger on. After the first hour or so it runs out of tricks for the most part and you're just going through the motions of finding more moons. I guess I expected a different experience. Oh well, still a good game and a solid addition to the system's library. I'd recommend it for every switch owner but it won't make my top 10 for the year.

I'm on the fence with this. The low difficulty and the over the top amount of moons are not my cup of tea..
Since i like a good challenge in my games this is an issue for me. If Mario controls that well, why they give us not a purpouse to take full advantages of these strength? It seems like a missed opportunity to make it a more engaging and rewarding expirience..

Definitely valid takes. In some ways it feels closer to Banjo Kazooie than past 3D Mario games since more time is spent exploring and hunting for moons and world coins.

I'm loving it as I don't really have the patience or coordination for true platformers anymore.

So I think there will be more mixed takes on it as time goes on despite the super high reviews, just like with BOTW. Hopefully people who aren't gushing over it don't get jumped all over like with people like me who didn't rave about BOTW. That calmed down after a couple months at least.

Last edited:

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Finished up the main story this morning.Currently at 400+ moons. Really love the game. I think its better than the Galaxy Games, though I do think the art direction can be hit or miss. Some worlds look great, others have weird UE4 fan game look to them.

I think the game takes what they learned from Odyssey in a lot of the smaller moon challenges, but god was it fun just roaming around finding moons. Just playing the game is lovely. I just wish they'd surface controls better. For example, ground pound then hat throw throws it down. I couldn't find out how to do the down hat throw without motion controls.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's just me, but the Lost Kingdom, was super ugly.

Do not understand what they were going for there at all.

Regardless of that, loving the game so far. Even if the bosses are too easy.

Squall5042

Oct 25, 2017

I'm surprised to read this, I find the moons to be a great reason for exploration. It makes me want to uncover every nook and cranny.

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
Almost done with the story.
8/10 game for me tbh. Didn't find it incredible in any way, just good fun throughout.
Not really a mario fan so all those references and charms were lost on me.
Galaxy is still top tier for me. Odyssey while fun feels instantly forgettable.

I think this is where I'm at as well. I've been playing the game with a smile on my face the entire time, but, as silly as it sounds, "that's it".

It's obviously very polished and Cappy is a great mechanic that always surprises, but there's too much emphasis on collecting stuff and not enough on platforming.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
some people may not be 10/10 crazy about the most unchallenging and undemanding Mario game released in years, while still recognizing its qualities
The originally quoted post didn't talk about "unchallenging" though. Also, I really wonder what Mario games y'all played that were so much harder outside the Post-game stuff.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
3d mario games have always had really easy main campaigns, it's always the side/post-game stuff that was challenging. This game is no different.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say I had the same smile on my face for the ending as I did the end of New Donk City

I haven't finished the game yet (heck, I haven't even reached New Donk City), but a number of users have claimed the end of the game rivals the best moments of the entire series.

So, yeah... sounds like you still have some great stuff to play through.

I can only tell you that you'll love it.

Ok, that sounds hype as hell. EAD WTF?! What kind of magic and witchcraft have you used to make this game?!

Speaking of Super Mario RPG,
If you go back to the Cloud Kingdom where you fought Bowser, the map talks about the Cloud Kingdom apparently being an ancient civilization of some kind that made the clouds that you can stand on, which makes sense given that some of them are basically bricks. I couldn't help but think of it as a reference to Mallow and Nimbus Land in SMRPG

Is anything inspiring you in this game for a potential dark ride in Planet Coaster? I could totally see you doing a a fantastic job of remaking the Luncheon Kingdom with the 3D art pieces

Seems that Koizumi is really loving Mario lore.
Although I was a little dissapointed that Pauline didnt seem to recognise Mario when you arrive to New Donk, but then theres a dialog where she kind of hints she does. Strangely written though.

About Planet Coaster, actually the thing that has inspired me more is New Donk City for something in Planet Coaster. And I have to add that years before Mario Odyssey my final project for animation at college was a video about a Nintendo-Disney theme park (yeah who would know it was going to be Universal some years ago hahaha), were the main street was New York in the 1890's-1920s, as I always felt it was an important city for Nintendo. I always wanted to make that park in Planet Coaster (changing all the references from Disney to Universal), and Odyssey has made that NEStreet (the way I called my New York Main Street), will be perfect as New Donk City (but with more Nintendo characters that are too small to get their own lands, like Punch-Out!! restaurant/show, a nintendogs/cats pet store, a kid icarus hystory museum....
I dont know when Im going to do it, as I have other projects and IRL in my plate right now, but is something I really want to make.
Here the video animation BTW:

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
To those saying it's too easy, have you completed a lot of post game stuff? As that is where most of the challenge lies in my opinion.

At work right now and just want to get home and play more odyssey! Definitely will be 100%ing this one.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely valid takes. In some ways it feels closer to Banjo Kazooie than last 3D Mario games since more time is spent exploring and hunting for moons and world coins.

I'm loving it as I don't really have the patience or coordination for true platformers anymore.

So I think there will be more mixed takes on it as time goes on despite the super high reviews, just like with BOTW. Hopefully people who aren't gushing over it don't get jumped all over like with people like me who didn't rave about BOTW. That calmed down after a couple months at least.
Now you have my attention: is this more Banjo Kazooie structured? BK is an all time favourite of mine, so Odyssey is comparable to Banjo Kazooie right? As i said i don't know if this game is for me. The Galaxy titles are my favourite Mario games, but the lack of a challenge and too much moons to gather make me hesitant to buy it.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No matter if it's challenging in the first hour (!!) or not. His statement is just wrong.

"Not really feeling the game. It's polished and there's a lot of clever level design snippets, but the worlds are too huge and I don't really feel a drive to explore. It almost feels like there's too many moons and you can get some too easily. Doesn't feel rewarding. It's a good game for sure, but doesn't live up to previous entries in the series to me. Just has this vibe of hollowness that I can put my finger on. "

Many people in this thread have stated something similar along the lines. The hollow sandbox level design, the undeamdning need to utilize any of the mechanics on one focused thing, the ease at which you can accomplish many tasks, the lack of extended platforming in the world's most famous platforming franchise.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
To those saying it's too easy, have you completed a lot of post game stuff? As that is where most of the challenge lies in my opinion.

At work right now and just want to get home and play more odyssey! Definitely will be 100%ing this one.

I just played one extra stage of the post content and died more than the rest of the game until then.

There are hundreds of those stages and I am already scared...

Edit: lol it's that stage Toni. There is an extra moon , so I suggest grabbing everything and never return again.

DoubleYou

Oct 26, 2017
"Not really feeling the game. It's polished and there's a lot of clever level design snippets, but the worlds are too huge and I don't really feel a drive to explore. It almost feels like there's too many moons and you can get some too easily. Doesn't feel rewarding. It's a good game for sure, but doesn't live up to previous entries in the series to me. Just has this vibe of hollowness that I can put my finger on. "

Many people in this thread have stated something similar along the lines. The hollow sandbox level design, the undeamdning need to utilize any of the mechanics on one focused thing, the ease at which you can accomplish many tasks, the lack of extended platforming in the world's most famous platforming franchise.

You took out the part he was actually quoting though.

Deleted member 21601

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
First Post on Resetera :D I love this game so much! Every time you play it you find something incredible and creative :)

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
In the post game, it seems like the stores have an infinite supply of power moons to buy. Is that the case? How many are there actually....

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
In the post game, it seems like the stores have an infinite supply of power moons to buy. Is that the case? How many are there actually....

From what I've read it's infinite, but the extra moons don't count towards 100%, they're just there to help unlock stuff quicker if you want.

karkii

Oct 25, 2017
Probably been posted before but: OMG! Mario gets spikes on his nose if you walk into a cactus!
dntokw0u8aa8phe1ns0c.jpg

Datrael

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Do question mark blocks contain anything other than coins? Because if they don't, then why even have question mark blocks?

For the moment this is my biggest gripe, since it's one of the most iconic Mario mechanics and with capturing it seems they have lost their "use". It looks like they are there just for aesthetics.

Chopper

Oct 25, 2017
Am I being stupid? I'm confused by the Power Moon tally.

There's the indicators in the top left that show you how many moons you've got in that world so far. There's a number on the top of the Odyssey that tells you... Something. Then Cappy will tell you that you need a certain number more for... I'm not sure what, because it doesn't seem to correlate with any of the other info. And I can't see the total number of moons I've collected throughout the game.