Red

Oct 26, 2017
Accurate.
I'm barely starting this game, but is it better to try to find all of the Moons before moving on to the next world? Or are there things you can't find without moving on and then coming back later? Also are there any hint systems for the missing moons? Would rather go to that than Youtube/online guides...
There are two in-game hint systems. One is a parrot who will tell you the names of moons for free, but won't point you to a location. The second is a hint Toad that charges 50 coins and marks the location of moons on your map.

Oct 25, 2017
Am I being stupid? I'm confused by the Power Moon tally.

There's the indicators in the top left that show you how many moons you've got in that world so far. There's a number on the top of the Odyssey that tells you... Something. Then Cappy will tell you that you need a certain number more for... I'm not sure what, because it doesn't seem to correlate with any of the other info. And I can't see the total number of moons I've collected throughout the game.

The moons on the top left as what you have collected so far. When you add them to the ship they go away from the top left. If you find more after adding to ship they'll show up on top left

The number on th sail ontop he ship is total you've found all together in entire game

The number Cappy talks about is how many you need to fuel the ship to fly to the next world
"Need 10 more!" , even if you have 15 on the upper left, it doesn't count until you throw your hat on the globe

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm barely starting this game, but is it better to try to find all of the Moons before moving on to the next world? Or are there things you can't find without moving on and then coming back later? Also are there any hint systems for the missing moons? Would rather go to that than Youtube/online guides...
I don't want to spoil too much, but I'll say that you should play at your own pace. That's what I did. I went for some of the hidden moons but didn't try to 100% every kingdom the very first time. There is a post-game that will allow you to do that, so don't stress it too much the first time around. Also, (ever so slight spoiler about post-game)
some moons are locked behind the post-game anyways, so I would even further say to not try to 100% it your first time in each kingdom

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While moving forward press ZL + jump (b, a). I think that's what you're asking?

They meant the dive as he said lunging forward while in the air. Thats ZL and y.

The move you posted is the long jump that only works while grounded.

The two moves work together for a really long jump though. Long jump, then dive. Can then throw hat again and dive to it, but you can't boonce off the hat a second time and just fall once reaching it. Kotaku posted an article showing how to do it.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
You literally can't complete each Kingdom before moving on to the next, some Moons only become available after you unlock other levels or once you beat the game. You can get all the Purple Coins in each world before completing the game, though.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
How hard do you all think this game would be for a six year old w/ fairly limited experience w/ games where you control character AND camera? He's played Mario Go and a lego game, and sometimes runs Link around in BotW (mostly just trying to get him to fall in lava/blow himself up of course).

My 4-year-old is playing on assist mode and is midway through the Sand Kingdom. He's having a blast even though he obviously won't be able to do everything at this point.

I think a 6-year-old could handle the first few worlds just fine.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Accurate.

There are two in-game hint systems. One is a parrot who will tell you the names of moons for free, but won't point you to a location. The second is a hint Toad that charges 50 coins and marks the location of moons on your map.

Three if you have an Amiibo as the Amiibo station robot will send the Amiibo scouting for five minutes and then mark a moon in the map when you return to it after five minutes.

Satanael

Oct 27, 2017
It really shocked me how so seemingly small areas can have so much content. When I first saw the list of Bonneton moons which were missing I thought that was a joke.

It's like the anti-open world game.

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
Not all moons will be possible to get until end game. You can move on to the next worlds, you won't miss anything if you decide to come back later.

There are hint systems built into the game.
Parrot - each world has a parrot that when you talk to gives the name of the moon that you've yet to collect.
Toad - there is a toad in each world that will let you buy a hint to a moon location for 50 coins.
Amiibo - next to the Toad in each world is a machine that when you scan your amiibo, gives you a marker on your map to a missing moon.

DoubleYou

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I think this is it for me. Seems like I prefer the platforming course style of level design more in mario games. Gives me a clearer sense of objective and direction. This is fine too, but requires me to be invested in the notion of collecting.

You'll like the second half of the game then.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Hello all. Reached the credits of the game, and no game this year has put a bigger, continuous smile on my face throughout its duration than Super Mario Odyssey has. From Mario's movements to the creative kingdoms, goals, and gameplay segments, I'm in love. Heck, even the photo mode has sapped away so much of my playtime. I've invested around 12-15 hours since getting the game on Thursday night, and it's rare for me to play a game in such large chunks (about five hours in one session was my max this go around) in my adult life. It shows the excellence and that "one more Power Moon" factor that Odyssey possesses. So addicting.

Smidget

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to spoil too much, but I'll say that you should play at your own pace. That's what I did. I went for some of the hidden moons but didn't try to 100% every kingdom the very first time. There is a post-game that will allow you to do that, so don't stress it too much the first time around. Also, (ever so slight spoiler about post-game)
some moons are locked behind the post-game anyways, so I would even further say to not try to 100% it your first time in each kingdom

You literally can't complete each Kingdom before moving on to the next, some Moons only become available after you unlock other levels or once you beat the game. You can get all the Purple Coins in each world before completing the game, though.

Not all moons will be possible to get until end game. You can move on to the next worlds, you won't miss anything if you decide to come back later.

Thank you all! Sounds like I'll just move along until it seems like a "chore" to be looking for stuff or I get bored of the area. Thanks again :) Back to the game.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know where
you're supposed to take the dog in the Mushroom Kingdom? It's driving me crazy.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It really shocked me how so seemingly small areas can have so much content. When I first saw the list of Bonneton moons which were missing I thought that was a joke.

It's like the anti-open world game.

Indeed. I'm finding it very refreshing after how bored I got with BOTW's huge and mostly empty (IMO) world. I'm pretty fatigued on open world games in general I guess.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Good to know. I'll push forward. Is that part of the game gated away by how many moons you have?
The only time you're gated behind a moon requirement is when you're going to the next kingdom. You can backtrack as much as you like unless the story prohibits you (which only happens a few times)

Dev

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Beat the game and been playing a bit afterwards.

10/10, maybe best Mario ever made, definitely best 3D Mario. It's better than 64. How Nintendo released this and BOTW in one year I have no idea.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
The only time you're gated behind a moon requirement is when you're going to the next kingdom. You can backtrack as much as you like unless the story prohibits you (which only happens a few times)

So is it fair to say that exploring for more moons is more or less entirely for the sake of experiencing new things and it's not locking away content like stars in other mario games? If so I'm actually more interested in pushing forward now.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
I've played most of BOTW in handheld mode and loved it, but I really feel like Odyssey benefits a lot from docked play. I would recommend playing docked as often as possible. I love playing in handheld mode but with Odyssey I'm going to try and go all docked.
If I can wrestle the TV from the four year old I definitely will!

Just bought the poncho and sombrero - I can't believe they're actually letting you use the coins to buy stuff. This game might be as engaging as SMB3 was.

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How hard do you all think this game would be for a six year old w/ fairly limited experience w/ games where you control character AND camera? He's played Mario Go and a lego game, and sometimes runs Link around in BotW (mostly just trying to get him to fall in lava/blow himself up of course).
My 6 year old is pretty much a pro at this game. He loves it.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Finally able to unwrap and sink my teeth in last evening. Absolutely shocked on how much I'm enjoying this game so far with limited time in.

One of my biggest turn-offs from the last few games was how "orgasmic" Mario would be, just when you accomplished practically anything. This game feels very light on pizazz, constantly throwing you back into gameplay environments.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So I captured the Trex yesterday, but no matter how many stuff I destroy with it, there doesn't seem to be any hidden moon. I'm sure I'm missing something...

Also, what are those big metallic blocks I see in almost every kingdoms? Can't seem to be able to destroy them, so I guess it's something to do later?

Oct 27, 2017
the pacing of the game couldn't be any better — two to three set pieces per kingdom, pick up any other moons that catch your eye along the way, and then on to the next kingdom. it makes me genuinely excited to see what's next.

just finished new donk city's last main story part, which brought me to tears, haha. this is probably my favorite game of the year.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
The metal clang sound effect when you do a cap jump with the
samurai helmet
equipped is a really cute detail.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So I captured the Trex yesterday, but no matter how many stuff I destroy with it, there doesn't seem to be any hidden moon. I'm sure I'm missing something...

Also, what are those big metallic blocks I see in almost every kingdoms? Can't seem to be able to destroy them, so I guess it's something to do later?

You won't be able to do anything with them until post game. Anything more is a spoiler.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So is it fair to say that exploring for more moons is more or less entirely for the sake of experiencing new things and it's not locking away content like stars in other mario games? If so I'm actually more interested in pushing forward now.
I'd say so. Collecting the moons is more for completion's sake. Like, if you want to see all the little hidden things tucked away, you'll want to chase hidden moons, bit as far as seeing all of the game's story and setpieces, you'll get all the moons you need without needing to hunt for them. In fact, I usually found myself leaving a kingdom with way more moons than was required just because I found them accidentally while exploring.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

In Wooded Kingdom?
There's only one rock thing that's hiding one, but you still have to ground pound it after breaking it.
The rest are more annoying to find.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Just 'beat' the game and man, the game is such a blast. I personally don't feel like the difficulty was too easy. It was on a level that I found to be engaging, whilst also not providing any joy-killing moments. The pacing of the game is excellent, the variety is amazing and all-round the game is just so much fun to play through.

Now to find all moons and explore everything to it's fullest!

panama chief

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
the pacing of the game couldn't be any better — two to three set pieces per kingdom, pick up any other moons that catch your eye along the way, and then on to the next kingdom. it makes me genuinely excited to see what's next.

just finished new donk city's last main story part, which brought me to tears, haha. this is probably my favorite game of the year.

This is super important. Enjoy a level in chunks. Find all the easy stars if you want and move on if the level isn't your cup of tea(water levels). Not feeling forced to stay in one place for too long is great.

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017

I've been playing with my twin 6 year olds in 2 player assist mode. At first I had them just control cappy but that is too important of a role. Instead they swap out between Mario with me being cappy. Either player can control the camera so I will take that role and keep them directed. We're up to New Donk City now.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
What I find surprising (in a good way) is how little time I spend in Mario's transformations as opposed to Mario himself. The promotional material leading up to release was slightly misleading in that regard

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This game is really a good looking game.

Me and the kids played it all day yesterday.

Took me back to my childhood. Worth it for that alone. But the game is fantastic even by yourself.

Is there any to skip the detached Joy Con message when you start up (which btw does make the game a ton easier)?

Amazing game by Nintendo. They are back on top. Be interesting to see what and how they can keep this up.

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
I've been playing with the Joy-Con AA battery grip things and they are amazing. Forget about the AA's. You don't even need them in unless you like the extra weight. The battery on the Joy-Con are fine. It's all about the grip. The Joy-Cons are so much nicer to hold. I picked them up for 30% off and don't regret it.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
How do you bust open those metal boxes? I've tried everything. Since they're in every kingdom, I'm thinking it's an ability or mechanic that opens later on.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing with my twin 6 year olds in 2 player assist mode. At first I had them just control cappy but that is too important of a role. Instead they swap out between Mario with me being cappy. Either player can control the camera so I will take that role and keep them directed. We're up to New Donk City now.
I have twin 6 year olds as well.

They are up to Water Kingdom. They are doing fine but need help with bosses.

The biggest issue is not the difficulty. It's sharing the game between the two of them!

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Glove and Boots got screwed by YT's algorithms. They have to take break because of financial woes. One of their last live shows was Super Mario Odyssey. Their stuff is usually super fun and the situation is kinda dragging them down. Show them some love ...

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They give more efficient or faster actions during gameplay.

That excuse doesnt work for me. Using cappy for example is slower and less intuitive without the motion.
And how would that work better if they would patch out the motion controlls? Just because they exist doesn't mean they could have done something better without them. Being able to turn them off is the same as them patching them out.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I seem to be getting close to the end of the "main story" and I'm having a blast. So many fun surprises and loaded with charm. I knew I would like it but I had no idea this is the game it would be and I'm kind of flabbergasted. Nintendo got weird this year in a really great way.

Oct 27, 2017

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
The Festival made me cry happy tears. I'm not even gonna lie.

That was an instant classic and an unforgettable, shamelessly and gloriously nostalgic Nintendo moment.