• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Fuck, work needs to end. But it's not even 10am :( I want to get home, pull the game out of the mailbox and be Mario forever.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Mario Odyssey is really tempting me to buy a Switch, though its relatively high price and me not wanting to spend money irresponsably kind of counteracts that temptation. Fortunately, I live in Japan, and unless I'm actively searching for it the thing is impossible to buy, so thanks Nintendo, I guess.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Wow, those glowing reviews.

Best Zelda, and now best Mario? I'm feeling giddy for the Switch's future. I can't wait to dive into this game, fully nude with nothing but a mustache and red cap.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
This is really tempting me to buy a Switch... but I've made a rule for myself: I'm waiting for either Animal Crossing or Pokemon to come out first :P

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to put an hour on this beauty before going to work.

Controls feels really good and I think it looks nice on the Switch's screen.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those RPG fans hesitating to buy a Switch: Aside from Mario, there's still the excellent Zelda and, soon enough, Xenoblade as well. The Switch library is already quite good, especially for its first year on the market!

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
I reached Mexico this morning before going to work. It looked magnificent with the Marseille gaming cable, except for the 2D areas, which lose the pixel art style: the cable obviously applies AA there too!

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
For those RPG fans hesitating to buy a Switch: Aside from Mario, there's still the excellent Zelda and, soon enough, Xenoblade as well. The Switch library is already quite good, especially for its first year on the market!

There is also Octopath Traveler with its stellar demo ;)
It is a Switch exclusivity coming in 2018 and it looks so promising !

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

My wife is probably getting me a Switch for the holidays. The question really is which one would you play first between Mario and Zelda? They are both pretty big games.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My wife is probably getting me a Switch for the holidays. The question really is which one would you play first between Mario and Zelda? They are both pretty big games.
It really depends on what you want to play the most:

Play Mario if...
- you want to experience the pinnacle of platforming gameplay
- you like to collect a lot of things in open areas
- you want to explore many different levels with unique enemies, gameplay, and visuals

Play Zelda if...
- you want to get totally absorbed in a huge and atmospheric world
- you like games that induce wanderlust and encourage freedom of exploration
- you want a feeling of sense of progression

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for the EZA review...

Anyone know who's in charge of the review? Damiani?

Wish It would be Ben's time to shine on a Nintendo masterpiece.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
DNEShOeV4AEYAPo.jpg

Its fake but being spread about as *real*.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017

And Skyrim if you missed it (like I did) plus Project Octopath which looks like pure old school FF

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't get how people can be so worked up over scores too much. It's just a number. Many 10/10 games have shortcomings that can mean different things for different people.

Eurogamer showed how effective the Recommended and Avoid system can be, which helps ease the pressure of them giving big games high scores.

As for the game itself, the first thing I did just minites after booting up the game is test all of Mario's abilites and movements. I feel like this game will be a speedrunner's dream. Still a bit bummed about how Daisy's completely MIA...

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I think he does reviews on his blog, I remember his review on BOTW showed up on Metacritic.

Or did he stop doing reviews sometime after that? I don't know, don't follow him
He stopped doing them recently as he doesn't consider them a good use of his resources. He rather wants to do more video stuff.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Holy hell, 98. It's on track to beat Breath of the Wild. Congrats Nintendo!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
are you being obtuse on purpose?

my comment mentioned that the dive wasn't in Galaxy well, because it wasn't, but the rest of what i said in the comment was, like every comment in the thread as this is a mario odyssey thread, about odyssey. No one was asking for 64's dive to be in Galaxy. In fact, why would i be talking about that, when this is an odyssey thread? If anyone is arguing about bringing back any past mechanics in this thread, he/she is obviously refering to bringing it to odyssey, which is the game that the thread is about.

I was saying that they could have changed how mario felt to control in odyssey compared to 64 (which they obviously did, as no one expects that to remain as it was in 1996), but that they could have also kept 64's dive in odyssey.

Like, holy f*cking shit, am i going to have to quote every single post i have wrote in this page for you to read them!?
it's just one page. It's crystal clear what am saying if you read more than just one of my comments.

Yeah, at this point you're coming off like a crazy person and being incredibly rude just because I disagree with your opinion on the controls in a Super Mario game. I already stated that I think the controls better in Odyssey than in 64. I'm sorry you don't have your dive move. I don't personally care about it. He is more fun to control in Odyssey.

I won't be arguing with you any further. Learn how to argue without being childish and rude in the future.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I'd consider Mario Odyssey the Switch killer app. Worth buying a new console to play, like Galaxy and Mario 64 before it.

The Mario Odyssey Switch bundle should be made available for the entire life of the platform.

Oct 26, 2017
Also it's a very bad "immitation", considering it looks like it was written by a 12 year old console wars kid.
So like most gaming posts then? :P

In all seriousness, even if it was a real review, no one be getting worked up about it. It doesn't bring down your enjoyment of the game so I personally never understood why people get so bent out of shape about them. Then again, some get upset over games they don't really like getting good scores so...

ec0ec0

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, at this point you're coming off like a crazy person and being incredibly rude just because I disagree with your opinion on the controls in a Super Mario game. I already stated that I think the controls better in Odyssey than in 64. I'm sorry you don't have your dive move. I don't personally care about it. He is more fun to control in Odyssey.

I won't be arguing with you any further. Learn how to argue without being childish and rude in the future.

(sen't you a PM to make sure you see this, as i don't want us to end like that)

I'll do my best at explaining what went down. I will need to recap a bit. But i promise that i'm doing my best for us to be on the same page.

The conversation starterd because, when some of us mentioned 64's controls, you expresed the sentiment that mario felt better to control in the more modern games compared to 64, which was released in 1996.

Various users (myslef inluded) explained that with "controls" we weren't simply refering to how it "felt" to move mario, but also included his moveset (his different movement options) in that description.

Then, i explained on multiple ocassions that, because odyssey went back to 64's open level design, it could have brought back 64's dive.

You insisted in repeating that odyssey felt better to control than 64 (why would a game released in 2017 not feel better to control than one released in 1996?).

You were missing the point. The fact that odyssey feels better to control, doesn't mean that there wasn't an argument to be made for 64's dive to come back (as the result of the open level design coming back).

It was as if you thought that the dive and how mario felt to control, weren't two separate things. The dive was just a move. You can update how it feels to control mario (which nintendo has been doing over the years), but still have the dive.

I was simply trying you to acknoledge, that there was an argument to be made for 64's dive to make a return in odyssey. I wasn't trying to convince you of anything.

I, understandably, ended up being pissed, because, in spite of all my efforts, you didn't seem to want to understand what i was saying, as you seemed to only be reading the replys i made directly to you.

And i didn't care that we disagreed on the controls in a Super Mario game. That was never the point, the point was that, even thought mario feels better to control in odyssey, there was merit to the idea of bringing back 64's dive, as it seemed appropiate for the level desing.

Last edited: