Caldorosso

Jan 15, 2018
All we know is that his next project seems to involve shooting, considering he said he was using the rifle of this mecha figurine for reference.

vifam-656x391.jpg

kid icarus sequel plz

Please, Master Hero Samurai.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
When Sakurai isn't available for development, Alfonzo is in charge of the game.
Alfonzo: "Leave it to me!"

AlfonzoArt.png

Nikachu

Jan 14, 2018
I'm fairly certain we will get smash announced in the next direct or E3 and it will be released in September with the online service

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
What do you meant by the team? They could add more characters and stages but would it be quality like Sakurai's works? After playing so much clones and they are no where close to Smash Bros in term of animations and quality.

Yeah, of course they could be of the same quality! Sakurai isn't the only person with a brain. Tons of people worked on this game and have surely gotten an understanding for it. If you still have the same key staff members, I don't see the problem.

I feel like some people put so much fame onto one person, as if that person singlehandedly made the game amazing, but there are a lot of people, a lot of brains, a lot of talent that goes into a game like this.

Not sure what clones have to do with anything tbh. This is Nintendo, not a cheap knock off :)

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
My theory has always been that the next Smash Bros game will positioned as a brand new entry in the series but will be heavily based upon Smash 4. The core gameplay is mostly unchanged with a few tweaks here and there. There's no point in making everything from scratch again. You just need to add more characters, stages, and modes onto what is already there.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Sakurai is working on this, that would mean he's been working on this one game since fucking 2012 lol. That's like, over half a decade of Smash.

Considering he left HAL to get away from Kirby and his stance on sequels and originality in general, I was thinking Sakurai would eventually want to take a big break from Smash to work on something else, like how he did with Kid Icarus.

I certainly agree that more than five years of intensive Smash development is absurd and also just something he would not agree to do. But with him using the phrase "a noose around my neck" to describe how he feels about making successive entries, what makes people think he wants to return to the franchise at all? I often see people handwave away his frequent comments about how hard development of these games is for him, and they say "oh he'll always come back." I don't know how frankly he needs to speak for people to take him seriously when he says he doesn't want to build a game from the ground up with 60+ characters, all the stages, the modes, etc anymore.

The break he took with Kid Icarus was really only about four or so years (Brawl development ending right before 2008 and Smash Wii U/3DS development starting right at the beginning of 2012). This fall we'll be coming up on four years following the release of the last game. Does Sakurai likely want to up and start developing a new Smash from the ground up, working under fan expectations to bring back their favorite content while adding so much new, and with the expectations/crunch of a launch timetable? I think it's clear that he doesn't.

But then I would ask: When would he be? Is the prospect of that incredible stress any more appealing two years down the line? Four? People are already starting to ask about Smash coming to Switch, so I can't imagine they'll be content with Smash not entering development until 2020 or later, to then release 1.5 to 2 years after. The bottom line is that I do not think things will or can continue as usual with him saying "jeez this is too hard to keep doing" each time and then coming back to it with a 4-6 year break.

I'm curious what Sakurai is going to works on next? Would it be a brand new IP or would it be a revived franchise?

What do you meant by the team? They could add more characters and stages but would it be quality like Sakurai's works? After playing so much clones and they are no where close to Smash Bros in term of animations and quality.

Unless I'm grossly misunderstanding the way Smash games are developed, then I think it's very possible for Sakurai to still be basically in charge of the process of making characters while being a good bit more hands-off. I'm talking things like design documents and planning movesets. Stuff that doesn't involve him putting his hands on a controller or doing much of anything except supervising and advising. As for modes, stages, and other content, I think he would be comfortable leaving the bulk of it in the hands of the staff based on his comments about the working environment with the smaller group.

As for his new game, I'm also really really curious. I loved Kid Icarus to death and I'm sure his next effort will be spectacular.

Or a character that use rifle, like Inkling. :P

Yeah I think people certainly aren't entertaining the idea that it could be for Smash. I don't know that I'm even a little sure it could be (Snake???), but it's one of many possibilities.

When Sakurai isn't available for development, Alfonzo is in charge of the game.
Alfonzo: "Leave it to me!"

now that's the PotD nostalgia I like

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, of course they could be of the same quality! Sakurai isn't the only person with a brain. Tons of people worked on this game and have surely gotten an understanding for it. If you still have the same key staff members, I don't see the problem.

I feel like some people put so much fame onto one person, as if that person singlehandedly made the game amazing, but there are a lot of people, a lot of brains, a lot of talent that goes into a game like this.

Not sure what clones have to do with anything tbh. This is Nintendo, not a cheap knock off :)

Clones actually have a lot of do with anything. It helped people to appreciate the game(s) even more. Sometime clones could surpass the original if they would try enough but we know that it wouldn't in this case right now. My point with the clones is that it actually demonstrate that it's hard to make the game to be like Smash Bros. There are some directors and developers trying to match that but came up shorted.

You don't need to twisted my words because I'm talking about the design document and early concepts in term of moves and animations that he made with stickman. I'm pretty sure that you are aware that it's more likely that Sakurai would be the one that came up with the moveset and animations since it was cited in his design document that he came up with movesets and more likely animation by himself. I always gave the the group the credits they deserved and they actually did amazing job with Smash Bros because without them, we wouldn't have some contents. For example, Bowser Jr, Lucario and few characters almost didn't make in if it wasn't for team. Also I would like to point it out that Sakurai did ask for the suggestions for few moves to see what people would throw out out of their minds regard with Mega Man moveset so I wonder if he was gauging to see which bosses and their attacks were memorable/popular.

Also important Nintendo workers, Aonuma and Iwata strongly believe that Sakurai is the SOUL and HEART of the Smash Bros so he believe that it wouldn't be same if it was other people directing the game.

Iwata:
"You are able understand a variety of people, and you go through the proper channels, so I don't think anyone can replace you in Smash. However, Smash is a big, important title for Nintendo so I can't say there won't be a sequel for sure. However, if we do proceed with a sequel, I will definitely talk with you.

Aonuma:
To put it bluntly, if you aren't involved with Smash, then I guess it's the end of the series. Without your ability to integrate a variety of games, you skill, design sense and without your way of thinking, the team would fail. Simply put, there's no one who can replace you. I believe that we would be forced to make a new Smash game without heart [without you].

On other subject so I do think Sakurai was worried that someone else would made an inferior because he don't want to see the customers being disappointed. Even Sakurai actually thought that he wouldn't have any problem with letting other people. Also I think he was too worried about the prophecy of bad Smash Bros that would leave a bad taste in customers and fans' mouths.

Mr. Iwata said: "I might dictate that even though it would require some work, Nintendo would just implement online capabilities, while keeping the 26 fighters, and without changing anything to Smash Brothers: Melee!"

I really wondered if that would really be a new game. However, I had the image of someone else making an inferior game. It wouldn't really interest Mr. Iwata. Maybe.

I was searching for something that only I could do. If I didn't show my power then, when would I? In addition, as much as possible I wanted to satisfy the most amount of players, including those abroad. Taking all of those into consideration, there was no other choice but to make Smash.

If I left someone else in charge, the customers and the people who originally worked on Smash might be disappointed. If that happened, I would be deeply hurt. I couldn't ignore these demands as the original author!!

Interviewer: By the same token, I think there are a lot of people who want you to make a new original game.

Sakurai: It's pretty difficult. If I keep making Smash, I get to work on interesting things like Ryu, but if I leave, I don't know if the staff could do it by themselves.

Also for future reference(s) but I know I'm more likely to give some people the ammo they wanted. :P

Sakurai:
Even though I originally created "Smash" as a game designer, I don't hold any rights* to the game. So, if Nintendo says, "make it", they can make one, no problem. I don't really have a problem with that….

Interviewer: You do say that every time, though, so I do wonder if maybe it'll just keep on going forever.

Sakurai: And I'll become the Smash craftsman? (laughs)

Credits:
http://sourcegaming.info/2015/12/13/sakurai-fe25/
http://sourcegaming.info/2015/05/02/im-making-smash-sakurais-famitsu-article-on-brawl/

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

Look at bright side, if he's going to make Smash for Switch as definitive version without any DLC supports then he's going to have a good break from Smash Bros for few years and can focus on his own things. I'm totally okay if he's taking a break from Smash Bros right now. Smash U is only reason why Wii U is still there at my entertainment center.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clones actually have a lot of do with anything. It helped people to appreciate the game(s) even more. Sometime clones could surpass the original if they would try enough but we know that it wouldn't in this case right now. My point with the clones is that it actually demonstrate that it's hard to make the game to be like Smash Bros. There are some directors and developers trying to match that but came up shorted.

You don't need to twisted my words because I'm talking about the design document and early concepts in term of moves and animations that he made with stickman. I'm pretty sure that you are aware that it's more likely that Sakurai would be the one that came up with the moveset and animations since it was cited in his design document that he came up with movesets and more likely animation by himself. I always gave the the group the credits they deserved and they actually did amazing job with Smash Bros because without them, we wouldn't have some contents. For example, Bowser Jr, Lucario and few characters almost didn't make in if it wasn't for team. Also I would like to point it out that Sakurai did ask for the suggestions for few moves to see what people would throw out out of their minds regard with Mega Man moveset so I wonder if he was gauging to see which bosses and their attacks were memorable/popular.

Also important Nintendo workers, Aonuma and Iwata strongly believe that Sakurai is the SOUL and HEART of the Smash Bros so he believe that it wouldn't be same if it was other people directing the game.

Iwata:

Aonuma:

On other subject so I do think Sakurai was worried that someone else would made an inferior because he don't want to see the customers being disappointed. Even Sakurai actually thought that he wouldn't have any problem with letting other people. Also I think he was too worried about the prophecy of bad Smash Bros that would leave a bad taste in customers and fans' mouths.

Also for future reference(s) but I know I'm more likely to give some people the ammo they wanted. :P

Sakurai:

Credits:
http://sourcegaming.info/2015/12/13/sakurai-fe25/
http://sourcegaming.info/2015/05/02/im-making-smash-sakurais-famitsu-article-on-brawl/

No I'm pretty sure we agree 100%, I'm just pointing out that they can arrange a situation with a smaller team and a less intensive development schedule and his role can remain the same. This would be physically and mentally healthier for him I think. I know that he is the person who is largely responsible not only for the unique flavor of the characters, but the heart of Smash itself. I've always felt that way about Sakurai and Smash. I just hope that he can continue working on the series in a healthy manner while still getting to rest and do the other projects he wants to do. This hypothetical "expanded Smash 4" could be a great solution essentially giving him as long a break from the series as he wants afterward.

I know a lot of people say this sarcastically, which is absurd because the man has worked both of his wrists into a painful and chronic condition and has a tremendous workload when each new Smash comes around. But he also acknowledges how lucky he is to work on the games with such freedom. I really respect him and hope he can remain healthy.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not being sarcastic. I think it sucks to be stuck doing a thing you don't want to do. Sure he keeps going back, but every time he talks about it, it sounds like he's doing it out of a sense of loyalty and obligation, not genuine desire. Maybe he puts on a sad front for everyone. Maybe he's being sarcastic.

All I know is I hate being stuck doing something I don't want to do, even if I once loved doing it.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
No I'm pretty sure we agree 100%, I'm just pointing out that they can arrange a situation with a smaller team and a less intensive development schedule and his role can remain the same. This would be physically and mentally healthier for him I think. I know that he is the person who is largely responsible not only for the unique flavor of the characters, but the heart of Smash itself. I've always felt that way about Sakurai and Smash. I just hope that he can continue working on the series in a healthy manner while still getting to rest and do the other projects he wants to do. This hypothetical "expanded Smash 4" could be a great solution essentially giving him as long a break from the series as he wants afterward.

I know a lot of people say this sarcastically, which is absurd because the man has worked both of his wrists into a painful and chronic condition and has a tremendous workload when each new Smash comes around. But he also acknowledges how lucky he is to work on the games with such freedom. I really respect him and hope he can remain healthy.

I don't disagree with you since Sakurai apparently enjoyed Smash development during DLC phase since it was really light loads for him, comparing to base game development. Also I believe that he declared that his condition have been better now did he?

Twig Well, Sakurai have been loving the works he put into Smash Bros during DLC development if you follow his interview and articles lately. He really want to add more characters since he felt that it would be interesting if he could add more characters (more likely third party characters) in the game. Who knows what would happens in the future.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not being sarcastic. I think it sucks to be stuck doing a thing you don't want to do. Sure he keeps going back, but every time he talks about it, it sounds like he's doing it out of a sense of loyalty and obligation, not genuine desire. Maybe he puts on a sad front for everyone. Maybe he's being sarcastic.

All I know is I hate being stuck doing something I don't want to do, even if I once loved doing it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were being sarcastic.

But yeah he says in his posts and columns that even though it's tremendously stressful that he still gets something out of it. So I think it's just truly a double-edged sword. He basically made the series from nothing with Iwata at his side, so I understand the innate dedication to the game.

I don't disagree with you since Sakurai apparently enjoyed Smash development during DLC phase since it was really light loads for him, comparing to base game development. Also I believe that he declared that his condition have been better now did he?

I actually don't know anything about his condition from very recently since I haven't caught up on his writings. But that would be terrific news!

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh well I admit I haven't read much of the more recent stuff. In that case I hope he gets to do whatever he wants. :P

Nov 2, 2017
I hope someone can help me . I want to get smash bros for 3ds, but with the rumors of it coming to switch , I kind of want to hold off on it . Should I get it now or wait ?

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope someone can help me . I want to get smash bros for 3ds, but with the rumors of it coming to switch , I kind of want to hold off on it . Should I get it now or wait ?

Depends on how long you're willing to wait. Personally I don't think I would drop the money on the 3DS version + DLC at this point when we don't know what/when Smash will be on the Switch.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Speaking of 3DS, are there Smash Run powers which you unlock outside of the mode?

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of 3DS, are there Smash Run powers which you unlock outside of the mode?

Lv. 1 Strong Head (power): Collect 5 unique custom headgear items.

Lv. 1 Strong Body (power): Collect 3 unique custom outfits.

Lv. 2 Shinespark: Get a total of 5 hits in StreetSmash.

Lv. 3 Ore Club (power): Hit Sandbag 1000m (3280 ft.) or more in Home-Run Contest.

Lv. 3 Recovery (power): Get 50 or more KOs in a single Rival Smash.

Lv. 3 High Jump (power): Jump at least 10km (6 miles) total between all fighters.

Lv. 3 Launch Ring (power): Get 200 or more KOs in Endless Smash.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Lv. 1 Strong Head (power): Collect 5 unique custom headgear items.

Lv. 1 Strong Body (power): Collect 3 unique custom outfits.

Lv. 2 Shinespark: Get a total of 5 hits in StreetSmash.

Lv. 3 Ore Club (power): Hit Sandbag 1000m (3280 ft.) or more in Home-Run Contest.

Lv. 3 Recovery (power): Get 50 or more KOs in a single Rival Smash.

Lv. 3 High Jump (power): Jump at least 10km (6 miles) total between all fighters.

Lv. 3 Launch Ring (power): Get 200 or more KOs in Endless Smash.
Thanks! I guess those are marked out achievements? I was wondering if maybe some were only collectible in other modes like multiplayer Smash Run, Classic or Trophy Rush, because the last two items are taking their sweet time.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
I'd like the next smash to be a bit faster then 4 and to fix the hitboxes.

Oh and make it more punishing. Everyone being able to save pretty much anything has to go.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
;_;
Not Quote then, I guess.

(the character from Cave Story)

I really think there's a nice group of indie characters that would fit nicely into Smash. However, I also think the line is just too long for them right now. There are some fan favorites and other third parties that I think will get the nod first, but I absolutely wouldn't be opposed to it.

Also I love Quote and think it's a really interesting idea for a Smash fighter :>

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This smash is gonna be the hardest yet when it comes to adding characters. We already know the obvious ones (Arms Rep and Splatoon) and some veterans that missed out in WiiU.

But where do you go from that? Especially in the third party category? I mean there's plenty of characters to add. But characters to add that are a big deal as well?

A new Metroid Rep is the only thing that's really coming to mind from the Nintendo side of things. Since after that it's just looking at hardcore wants. Which is stuff like Geno and KK Rool.

I don't even know what they'll do with third party. There's nothing really big left. There's companies to be added sure like Atlus and Koei Tecmo. But it seems we're out of the left field inclusions like Cloud and Snake. Unless we really get something like goku or master chief

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
This smash is gonna be the hardest yet when it comes to adding characters. We already know the obvious ones (Arms Rep and Splatoon) and some veterans that missed out in WiiU.

But where do you go from that? Especially in the third party category? I mean there's plenty of characters to add. But characters to add that are a big deal as well?

A new Metroid Rep is the only thing that's really coming to mind from the Nintendo side of things. Since after that it's just looking at hardcore wants. Which is stuff like Geno and KK Rool.

I don't even know what they'll do with third party. There's nothing really big left. There's companies to be added sure like Atlus and Koei Tecmo. But it seems we're out of the left field inclusions like Cloud and Snake. Unless we really get something like goku or master chief
If they are out of Nintendo characters to add they can always add like 3 FE characters.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoFq-BAr4jY&feature=youtu.be

It's like what we mostly speculated and guessed that Sakura still have his hands on the project but wouldn't be in a director's position. Like I said in discord and probably this thread but I can't remember I'm perfectly fine with Sakurai coming up with movesets and animations then share it with the teams and they can do rest of the works. Also Sakurai could examine the final results for those newcomers.

However I'm very curious to see if a new director would have power to add their own versions of single player contents.

PushDustIn

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I'm just popping in to say you can always tag me with questions / if you want something fact-checked with regards to Smash. I'm pretty good at recalling when/ where certain things were said (I also did the data-mining for the games :)).

We are doing the final round of checking for the translation that IntelliHeath mentioned, so it'll come out very soon.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping for a lot more obscure C-list Nintendo characters nobody was really asking for, like Duck Hunt

I'll love and cherish each and every one of them

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping for a lot more obscure C-list Nintendo characters nobody was really asking for, like Duck Hunt

I'll love and cherish each and every one of them

Obviously you didn't even follow me and few members during Brawl and Smash 4 since I have been asking for Duck Hunt as playable character! :P But yes, I'm totally open for more C-List characters become playable characters like Takamaru and Isaac.

I'm still unsure about Arms' chance. It's really depends on whenever the design document was decided on. if it was decided before Switch Event in 2017 and not having a blank slot for new IP character then I really find it unlikely. Same for XB2 characters. I would love it if I'm being proven wrong.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

There's quite a few third parties they could add to beef up the roster

A monster hunter rep, a dragon quest rep, a Tales rep

There's also scarce Nintendo handheld reps. Other than Roy and maybe Wario, the GBA is almost entirely forgotten.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Considering GBA was like a port machine, what are we really missing? Issac? Jill? Advance Wars technically started a lot earlier but I don't know about the characters that were around for Advance/DS.

Ah of course, the best port, DKC3! when's Dixie gosh darn it!

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
There's quite a few third parties they could add to beef up the roster

A monster hunter rep, a dragon quest rep, a Tales rep

There's also scarce Nintendo handheld reps. Other than Roy and maybe Wario, the GBA is almost entirely forgotten.

Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter are only that popular in Japan, although admittedly Monster Hunter World is taking off worldwide, so you never know.

Tales also isn't quite on the level as Smash's third-party picks barring Bayonetta, and as much as I'd freak out to see Lloyd, that'd open the floodgates for Dawn of the New World content or the possibility of Brian Beacock voicing him and, well, I don't think I want to see that.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering GBA was like a port machine, what are we really missing? Issac? Jill? Advance Wars technically started a lot earlier but I don't know about the characters that were around for Advance/DS.

Ah of course, the best port, DKC3! when's Dixie gosh darn it!

Damn, Jill would fit so well in Smash Bros.
And I'm surprised that Isaac hasn't happened yet. GS is a cult classic and the first one sold over one million copies IIRC.