Votes: 32 42.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Like she still technically does appear in games, but she hasn't actually had a major role in a mainline Mario platformer since like, 3D World back in 2013. Even Jr. recently appeared in Mario Maker 1 & 2, and I guess NSMBUDX.

Then again, Galaxy and 3D World are maybe getting Switch ports...

She was a Mystery Costume in Mario Maker 1. And it's not like there have been many mainline Mario platformers after 3d World. It's just Odyssey, re-releases and Mario Maker 2.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
She was a Mystery Costume in Mario Maker 1. And it's not like there have been many mainline Mario platformers after 3d World. It's just Odyssey, re-releases and Mario Maker 2.

I don't really count Mystery Costumes, personally.

Otherwise we'd have to say that Waluigi actually has been in a mainline platformer lol

Aug 12, 2019
Toon Link retains his relevance by being the best Link

Look at this boy
939889989118d4eb781f97d0f119ea5c.gif

Look at him

Shame, he's the worst Link in Smash by a big margin.

Ike is still one of the most popular FE characters. You can see this by the first FEH vote and how he won it despite the fact that at that time they were splitting his PoR and RD votes.

I know this, but I was pointing out how dumb the argument against Smash 4's newcomers was. If Robin and Lucina get counted as aging poorly despite being incredibly popular FE characters in their own right from one of the most definitive titles in the franchise, then Ike is subject to the same inane idea that this poster was floating about franchises in Smash.

That probably didn't come off completely as I intended in my post though. It was just a fun point of comparison about how characters have lost or gained "relevance" since their inclusion in Smash and that's just always going to be the case for characters because franchises and games generally aren't that static.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Byleth's legacy will be the exact same as Corrin's, except they'll be from "the really good one" instead of "the really good one, but only if you ignore 90% of the writing."

Jun 11, 2019

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Marth is the mascot of the series; Roy is a Melee character (a Smash character before a FE character for real lol), Ike is popular and is the protag of the most expensive GameCube games these days (or is it the Wii sequel? I get them mixed up a lot); Robin, Chrom and Lucina are part of the game that saved the franchise..

Corrin and Byleth are ... FE lords, I guess.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Marth is the mascot of the series; Roy is a Melee character (a Smash character before a FE character for real lol), Ike is popular and is the protag of the most expensive GameCube games these days (or is it the Wii sequel? I get them mixed up a lot); Robin, Chrom and Lucina are part of the game that saved the franchise..

Ike is only as popular as he is because of Smash. Path of Radiance sold five copies and Radiant Dawn sold four.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only characters I'd say feel out of place in the context of Smash itself are Sheik and Corrin.

Beyond that, while Smash 4's newcomers really didn't entice me, I can't say relevance or any such thing was what worked against it. I think I just generally did not care for that era of Nintendo IPs that hadn't yet gone represented.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do think it's a little soon to be talking about Corrin's legacy - they're like Ike or Roy where there really hasn't been much opportunity to let nostalgia kick in yet. I assume Fates mixed reception is going to mean that, ultimately, they're going to be one of the "also ran" lords. But at the same time, they do still get merchandise, they are in Warriors and Heroes, so who knows.

Byleth is in the same boat, just that Three Houses already has a much bigger impact and a much bigger fanbase than Fates. We'll see how much of an impact they have a few years from now.

I think every game has its own "flavor of the month" characters, though.

64: Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Ness
Melee: Sheik, Young Link, Pichu, Roy
Brawl: Lucas, Ike
Smash 4: Corrin, Palutena, Dark Pit, Bayonetta, Miis
Ultimate: Incineroar, Joker, Byleth(?)

Smash 4 is probably on the heavy end of the spectrum, and it's sandwiched between Brawl and Ultimate, which both prioritized "fan favorite" types over all else.

If we're talking fully unique characters, I think Sheik, Palutena, and Corrin are the most "wait, why?" characters in Smash at this point. Sheik and Palutena in particular are supporting characters, Sheik having never reappeared and Palutena only REALLY appearing in one game in a fleshed out role. But they're also some of the only female characters in the game, so I can't complain about squeezing either of them in.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I strongly disagree with Miis being "flavor of the month"

They're one of the most important Nintendo characters in the company's history, defining an entire era of gaming

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Ya'll got a remake in the pipe and Garrod's master plan for Sigurd in Smash is underway

The world is ready for HD Titania

YOU GET IT, YOU UNDERSTAND
My actual wish for FEW is that they'd use the Tier system from Gundam Musou by having characters ranked from 1 to 3

where 1 is a fully unique full moveset, 2 is for partial clones and characters with unique but limited movesets, and 3 is for mooks, jobbers, and meme shit

that way you can just "promote" characters from Tier 2 to Tier 1 across multiple entries (or even DLC i unno)

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly out of the 64 crew, I think only Samus and maybe Kirby could use a kick in the ass.
Kirby just needs his goddamn slide kick. Six characters with down-tilt slide kicks now and Kirby isn't one of them.

I think most agree that Samus needs an overhaul since a lot of fans don't think she "feels" like Samus. I'm not a Metroid fan, so I don't know what that means entirely, but I know Project M did a damn good job with her.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
that's why the game is so pricey these days? I thought it had a limited print or something... or maybe some exclusivity with certain stores like Xenoblade

It's extremely popular in certain region but it was limited print because they never sold out to warrant the second printing.

That's why they had supplies issues with Awakening because they didn't expected it to sold out, and people were selling it for like 100 dollars within first two months or so.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
wasn't Ike included in Smash because he was popular?

Sales of a game doesn't necessarily translate into popularity and vice versa. Bayonetta is a very popular character (enough to "win" the ballot), but her games sell bad.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Smash 4 having more unique newcomers overall probably skews how people feel about it in terms of gimmicks or flavors of the month or whatever. Like, of course it has more than other Smash games, it has more new characters overall

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that people complain about Corrin's legacy when Captain Falcon's is...well... gestures to everything around him

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Brawl was still cleaning up characters that could have easily been in Smash 64 or Melee. I mean, it's not like there's a Dedede or a Wario or a Diddy still floating out there as ultra huge characters from massive franchises whose exclusion in previous games was confusing.

So of course Smash 4 had to pull from a different well than Brawl was able to.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Ike is a luxury few can afford
you gotta pay a high price for his sympathy, I suppose

It's extremely popular in certain region but it was limited print because they never sold out to warrant the second printing.

That's why they had supplies issues with Awakening because they didn't expected it to sold out, and people were selling it for like 100 dollars within first two months or so.
eesh.. meanwhile, I see people basically giving away copies of Sin and Punishment 2;

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
wasn't Ike included in Smash because he was popular?

Sales of a game doesn't necessarily translate into popularity and vice versa. Bayonetta is a very popular character (enough to "win" the ballot), but her games sell bad.

No? He was included because he was the newest Fire Emblem protagonist at the time.

sourcegaming.info

On Character Selection: Brawl

On Character Selection is back and picking up where we left off we have got Brawl.

Just like Kirby and Metroid, there had been a new Fire Emblem game every year since 2002 so the franchise was very relevant at this time. Sakurai did not know who to include, so he initially wrote down "New Fire Emblem rep." Intelligent Systems were the ones who told Sakurai to use Ike, just like how they advised him to use Roy in Melee. Ike made sense as Path of Radiance was the newest Fire Emblem protagonist at the time of the project plan,

Not really different from how we got Greninja.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Byleth is from the first HD Fire Emblem game & what's considered one of the best games in the series.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
"show me your moves" alone is a legacy 100x more powerful than anything corrin has going on

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Remember the trailer that Cap Falcon had to fight against THREE FIRE EMBLEM characters and handling it like a champ.

1NYQL4l.gif

He managed to take Chrom down and nearly defeat Lucina at her own game without an usage of swords. And manage to dodge Robin's elwind.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Remember the trailer that Cap Falcon had to fight against THREE FIRE EMBLEM characters and handling it like a champ.

1NYQL4l.gif

He managed to take Chrom down and nearly defeat Lucina at her own game without an usage of swords. And manage to dodge Robin's elwind.
I miss this style of CG animation for Fire Emblem's cutscenes. Not sure why they changed it for Shadows of Valentia & Three Houses.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Smash 4 has some of my least favorite newcomers overall, besides Pac Man but even he wasn't done in the way that I'd like (pretty much only references to arcade games without anything else from his series)

Jun 11, 2019
There's a picture of Ike wearing this fucking sweater out there but I can't find it and it's literally destroying me rn
e90057187924094ab5c9d127a9ed073b.png

Why is Tumblr a nightmare to navigate

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
It's a travesty that Rosalina didn't make it into Odyssey. (with a really cool new punk rock too) She better be in the next mainline game!

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
It's a travesty that Rosalina didn't make it into Odyssey. (with a really cool new punk rock too) She better be in the next mainline game!
I was fine with her not being present. 3D World felt like it wasn't comfortable moving out of Galaxy's shadow. It was time to move on to something else entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.