• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No one ever proposes cutting popular characters like Mario, DK, and Link, those kinds of lists would be more interesting to me if they subverted expectations

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all will rue the day Fox was bought by Disney when MvC4 comes out and thongninja Psylocke is on the roster.

Marvel Infinite freed us of the the mutant menace.

You mean Penance.

penance5.jpg
What will it take for the next MvC to include Squirrel Girl?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom side:

Captain Commando
Devilotte
Edward Falcon
Firebrand
Garcian Smith
G-Red
Leon Kennedy
Lynn Kurosawa
Masamune Date
Morrigan
Ryu
Super Joe
Wizard

Blodia
Hauzer
PT-40A
Rathalos
Zero-Akuma

(Realistically I'd like to look over this again because I leaned way male here, but this is off the cuff.)
What's a realistic starting roster size, 20 to 30? I'll aim for 30.

First off. The required:

1. Ryu (Street Fighter)
2. Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
3. Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
4. Zero (Mega Man)

The first three have been mainstays of Capcom crossovers, it just wouldn't feel right if they weren't there. Zero feels like he's been a big draw lately and he's been around in some form since SvC Chaos, so I feel like he's required now too.

Second. Personal taste.

5. G-Red (Gotcha Force)
6. Rouge / Edward Falcon (Power Stone)
7. Akira (Rival Schools)
8. Garcian Smith (Killer7)
9. Blodia (Armored Warriors) [Giant]
10. Pink Ostrich (Battle Circuit)
11. Alien Green (Battle Circuit)
12. Wizard (King of Dragons)
13. Bren (E.X. Troopers)
14. Rathalos (Monster Hunter) [Giant]
15. Hauzer (Red Earth) [Giant]
16. Zero Akuma (Cyberbots) [Giant]

This being a dream roster, I want a big ol' heaping helping of weird and forgotten shit. A few of them are there just because I like their games; G-Red in particular. Edward Falcon seems like the most obvious Power Stone rep, but since Niitsuma's floated Rouge out before, let's use that one too.

Batsu's been the Rival School rep before, but I think he's relatively boring in comparison to Akira. I think most people who have played Rival Schools have had a strong reaction to Akira's character, so I feel like she'd stand out and impress in versus roster.

Garcian Smith would naturally be a transforming version of a stance character. That probably means no one would play him, but that's pretty fitting for Killer7 too.

Normally I wouldn't include two characters from a series, but come the fuck on, look at Battle Circuit. No one is going to forget those two.

With the Wizard. I think you could give him moves that are knockoffs of the Magic User from Shadow over Mystara and represent all of Capcom's arcade fantasy beat em ups. Maybe slip in something from Magic Sword somehow.

I liked the idea of giants in Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and I think you can build on that. With Monster Hunter, Rathalos is a more natural way to include the series than the hunter itself, I think. A giant robot version of Akuma may be a more interesting variation on a shoto, too. Instead of Jin Saotome, I went with the Blodia.

Third. Characters with history.

17. Super Joe (Commando)
18. Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil)
19. Regina (Dino Crisis)
20. The Arisen (Dragon's Dogma)
21. Guy (Final Fight)
22. Date Masamune (Sengoku Basara)

These are new additions who are less so interesting to me directly and moreso because they represent some sort of Capcom history.

We have Bionic Commando, but did you forget that the Super Joe that you were rescuing in the NES game was the hero of his own successful Capcom title? I think there's even some retcon that claimed that he was one of the Arnold Schwarzenegger lookalikes that you could play as in the second Commando game, MERCS. MERCS is a pretty awesome game, so get him in there!

Leon Kennedy, besides being a long lasting part of the Resident Evil series, is also the start of Resident Evil 4, which is groundbreaking in its own right. He's overdue for a place.

Regina I'm only including because of Jawmuncher.

I'm admittedly not too familiar with Dragon's Dogma, but it was a major investment on Capcom's part and it represents an unusually well-received attempt at beating the west at their own game, so why not. Throw them in there.

Guy might seem like a bit of a strange choice here since we've already seen him in the Street Fighter series. I want a Guy who represents more of the Final Fight series though. Give him his special moves from Final Fight 3 on the SNES, for example. Final Fight was super weird in that the first game was so prominent but a lot of the series' history has been relatively buried; since Guy has been perhaps the most recurring feature of that history, have him represent it.

Date Masamune has been floated by Niitsuma before. He's a neat character and the Sengoku Basara series has been quietly trucking along, so sure, let's have him.

Finally. Oldcomers:

23. Captain Commando (Captain Commando)
24. Jedah (Darkstalkers)
25. Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
26. Firebrand (Ghouls 'n' Ghosts)
27. Dante (Devil May Cry)
28. Tron Bonne (Mega Man)
29. B.B. Hood (Dark Stalkers)
30. Mega Man (Mega Man)

For these, I just tried to find a balance between the popular draws that have to be included. and character that I myself like or think are interesting in some way. I looked at all of the versus games to try and grab an interesting set.

Extra:

These were more in the oldcomers category that I didn't initially erase since I miscounted at first, I'll include them anyway.

31. Frank West (Dead Rising)
32. Vergil (Devil May Cry)
33. Saki Omokane (Quiz Nanairo Dreams)
34. PTX-40A (Lost Planet) [Giant]
35. Eagle (Street Fighter)
36. Sakura (Street Fighter)
37. Kaijin no Soki (Onimusha)
38. Arthur (Ghouls 'n' Ghosts)
39. Hayato Kanzaki (Plasma Sword)

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is never going to agree to remove Sonic and Cloud so they can stick in Donbe & Hikari.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sentinel returns in MvC4, but his new role is that of a giant character, a concept from Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, and Blodia piloted by Jin Saotome is his counterpart.

Everyone wins.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
So many "Let's cut all of the Fire Emblem characters" wishlists just immediately turn around and choose to add a ton of Zelda characters instead.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Calyrex as the Pokémon rep. Its gimmick is that it can swap between the Spectrier and Glastrier forms. Also, all its taunts involve talking though Peony.
Now i am imaging he plays like Johnny Joestar in ASB. Also Spectrier and Glastrier would work better as alts of each other but having the same moves

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Real talk: I still think people vastly overestimate how much Smash really "helps" obscure series.

My guess is that Isaac/Chibi-Robo/Lip/Wonder Red/Takamaru/etc fans look at where Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus went after their initial inclusions in Smash and thus think that including their obscure characters will help their series prosper in the same way. But this is overlooking several factors, like how Fire Emblem was on death's door before Awakening bailed it out, or how Kid Icarus Uprising really was just a one-off, and not the big relaunch of the IP, that only really happened due to specific circumstances.

Putting Captain Falcon in certainly didn't stop the F-Zero IP from plummeting into oblivion, I can tell you that.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
no one is rooting for characters like Lip or Takamaru on some hope that they'd get some kind of mega boom that brings their series back to relevance

they root for them because they are Cool and Neat and Fun

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
no one is rooting for characters like Lip or Takamaru on some hope that they'd get some kind of mega boom that brings their series back to relevance

I can understand that, but there are some folks that think putting an obscure Nintendo character in will help give exposure to their series and thus potentially get them a new game, but it just...doesn't really work that way.

I think that's why some people get really pissed at third party characters, because to them it's Nintendo "selling out" and leaving their smaller guys to die or something like that.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

This. I also root for characters because I want the cross-over to expand. I want Nintendo's characters to be immortalized in the game that represents Nintendo's history, and I want various video game all-stars to be immortalized into the greatest cross-over of all time.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely hoping at least one adventure game/VN character makes it into the pass. Phoenix or Ayumi, don't matter to me too much. Ayumi mostly just gets an extra push in my support because we're so damn close to having Detective Club finally go international and the timing would be oh so good. The real dream would be Guybrush Threepwood but Disney gonna Disney.

So many "Let's cut all of the Fire Emblem characters" wishlists just immediately turn around and choose to add a ton of Zelda characters instead.

"Because I don't like the series, I believe one of Nintendo's current biggest franchises doesn't deserve to be in this Nintendo crossover." - Anti Fire Emblem brigade, actively refusing to accept reality.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely hoping at least one adventure game/VN character makes it into the pass. Phoenix or Ayumi, don't matter to me too much. Ayumi mostly just gets an extra push in my support because we're so damn close to having Detective Club finally go international and the timing would be oh so good. The real dream would be Guybrush Threepwood but Disney gonna Disney.

"Because I don't like the series, I believe one of Nintendo's current biggest franchises doesn't deserve to be in this Nintendo crossover." - Anti Fire Emblem brigade, actively refusing to accept reality.

You know Fire Emblem has become a powerful series when it gets to live rent free in so many heads.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017

Saaabbbbbbbbbbeeeerr "runs away"

In all seriousness a VN charcter would be cool

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Yeah, of the two, Ayumi's odds are probably the best (assuming that her game gets localized). Phoenix Wright is clearly the more popular option of the two, but he also has the most competition within his home company (with Monster Hunter being the biggest competitor of the Capcom lot).

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
As a guy who was reading JoJo's Bizarre Adventure in 2007, it's my opinion that everything I like is just cooler than what everyone else likes and they just haven't wised up and stepped to my level yet.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, Terry Bogard really isn't a niche, obscure character.

Terry's definitely someone that would be considered "iconic" by a huge amount of people that simply exist outside the typical Smash bubble. It's one of the reasons I really hoped that people would expand on their expectations and consider a wider variety of characters, genres, and companies that could show up, but it still feels like it barely moved the needle.

Yeah, of the two, Ayumi's odds are probably the best (assuming that her game gets localized). Phoenix Wright is clearly the more popular option of the two, but he also has the most competition within his home company (with Monster Hunter being the biggest competitor of the Capcom lot).

Assuming Capcom gets anything at all, which is something I'm not sure why is so frequently considered practically a given in Smash discussions besides that the folks who exist in the bubble simply don't know much about other developers.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Assuming Capcom gets anything at all, which is something I'm not sure why is so frequently considered practically a given in Smash discussions besides that the folks who exist in the bubble simply don't know much about other developers.
Of course, it's entirely possible that Capcom gets nothing. But if we do get something from Capcom, it'd probably be Monster Hunter.

That said, I'm not sure if they'd go TOO niche with their picks (even with Terry, FF/KoF is huge in Japan & South America in addition to SNK having a ton of legacy behind them). Even the indie characters we've seen be given the nod only got Mii Costumes & spirit events.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just saying I'd play a gacha game about cosplay himbos.

Spring Chrom awakened a fierce beast within me.

Status
Not open for further replies.