• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
That part is true but I can't for the life of me recall what started me on the Geno train to begin with, and looking at my old posts suggests it was never ironic.
i feel like you've fallen into this existential "why geno" state every few months trying to analyze some deeper meaning as to why you like him

but at the end of the day, he's a cool little puppet man with a striking and memorable design

and his hands are gun

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Is it bad that part of the reason why I want Geno at this point is to prove the naysayers wrong? It would be especially satisfying coming off of Steve.

It helps that I do genuinely like his design and would love a Bowser's Keep stage (assuming that's what they'd go with). Having an obscure, but longstanding fan request like that finally be fulfilled would be pretty rad in general.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Someone tell Nintendo they can make bank with alt costumes DLC.

say they can make it limited time to convince them to do it.

Marth in his original Glory would be funny. And Chrome in that dumb bunny suit that Lissa made him wear.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be honest, I really despise the no moveset potential argument used against characters like BWD (?)
I don't recall anyone arguing this seeing as BWD is playable in some Kirby games and Smash Bros is the party fighting game cousin of the Kirby series. The usual argument is that people don't find them an exciting addition, partly because they already have some idea of what BWD's moveset would entail.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i feel like you've fallen into this existential "why geno" state every few months trying to analyze some deeper meaning as to why you like him

but at the end of the day, he's a cool little puppet man with a striking and memorable design

and his hands are gun

You know what, true enough.

Myriadnaut

Jun 1, 2020
I don't recall anyone arguing this seeing as BWD is playable in some Kirby games and Smash Bros is the party fighting game cousin of the Kirby series. The usual argument is that people don't find them an exciting addition, partly because they already have some idea of what BWD's moveset would entail.
That's also another thing I see. Really a lot of their arguments fall apart rather easily.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai said one of the difficult parts of character costumes is putting together their render.

I think it's worth looking into a system where the game just uses the in-game models for its "renders" if that's the case (like the beta Mario render we saw in the E3 build). Not only would that solve Sakurai's problem, it could allow for new features like custom colours and Miis being probably display on the versus screen (I find it odd they can't do this when they display fine during the win screen after a spirit fight).

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Sakurai said one of the difficult parts of character costumes is putting together their render.

I think it's worth looking into a system where the game just uses the in-game models for its "renders" if that's the case (like the beta Mario render we saw in the E3 build). Not only would that solve Sakurai's problem, it could allow for new features like custom colours and Miis being probably display on the versus screen (I find it odd they can't do this when they display fine during the win screen after a spirit fight).
Miis don't really display "fine"

Their renders are lower quality than they were even in Smash 4 Wii U. They look awful in Ultimate, and that's probably why they use the very HD faceless renders for the vs screen, to avoid a giant blown up blurry pixelated mess

I honestly wish they just used the faceless renders for every instance instead of the generated portraits they use. Maybe just recolor the Mii to the Mii being used colors for some variety

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
They should just bring back the Smash 64-style CSS where the characters perform a little animation after being selected.

Obviously loading in the models will be far easier than loading in a bunch of images!

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
the way Smash handles alternate clothes for characters is weird. Early on, in Brawl, Wario being the sole exception was easier to understand.. now, there's several characters with different skins, while a lot still don't for no reason lol.

If they just want to keep selling Mii Costumes is fine, but the inconsistence for fighters with and without different clothing options is frustrating.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I just don't see the appeal of BWD at all. I mean in a gameplay sense? Sure, a spear user is awesome but they'll just be the Kirby equivalent of "Blue Toad" to me.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Miis don't really display "fine"

Their renders are lower quality than they were even in Smash 4 Wii U. They look awful in Ultimate, and that's probably why they use the very HD faceless renders for the vs screen, to avoid a giant blown up blurry pixelated mess

I honestly wish they just used the faceless renders for every instance instead of the generated portraits they use. Maybe just recolor the Mii to the Mii being used colors for some variety
I'm the total opposite. I'd rather see what my Mii looks like rather than a shadowy face with the wrong hair. Don't care if the face is blurry.

Jun 11, 2019
Cursed thought, we get 2D Marth but it's just his sprite from Shadow Dragon on DS
1669.png

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I really like when the different skins share the same pose in their render, not gonna lie
1200px-Inkling_SSBU.png
Ds5aSZTU0AAkuz3.png

so different costumes for character using the exact same render pose, to me, was never an issue

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
so how long before this is patched
it looks like an unintended side effect of the Steve hotfixes. it's preferable to have that than to continue to have Steve bugs, so it's probably staying
so apparently the Minecraft music has day/night cycles?

I can't say I've actually ever noticed
I think it's just Halland/Dalarna being synced so Dalarna starts when the stage turns to night

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I thought we all decided that the next FE character would be BRIGAND

a celebration of bandits, brigands, pirates, & berserkers through the series

Aug 12, 2019
Is it bad that part of the reason why I want Geno at this point is to prove the naysayers wrong? It would be especially satisfying coming off of Steve.

It helps that I do genuinely like his design and would love a Bowser's Keep stage (assuming that's what they'd go with). Having an obscure, but longstanding fan request like that finally be fulfilled would be pretty rad in general.

Here's the thing for me despite being a Geno fan myself, for as many naysayers as it proves wrong, it proves far more and IMO far more annoying asshole attempted soothsayers right, so I'm not sure the net gain on that perspective is positive.

Also, like, Smash Ultimate is constantly fulfilling major fan requests, I don't really consider Geno all that special in that regard anymore in a game that has added Banjo & Kazooie, King K Rool, and Ridley is fairly quick succession after being based around the core premise of fan demand for veterans.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Minecraft_World said:
One block in Minecraft is one meter (~3.28 feet) wide in all axes. The default form of Minecraft World is 20 blocks long across the X axis, meaning that — assuming the stage uses the same scale — it is 20 meters (~65.62 feet) wide.
  • The Ω and Battlefield forms of Minecraft World are 16 blocks long, meaning that they and, by extension, Final Destination and Battlefield (as well as all Ω and Battlefield forms), are 16 meters (~52.49 feet) wide using the same metric.

this an interesting tidbit, but someone else had taken the time to measure Smash characters, and it was found that the in-game training mode squares seems to align to roughly one meter based on canon character heights (see here)

however, if you try to align the Minecraft blocks to the Training Mode grid, they're just a little bit smaller - something between 0.93 and 0.94 Smash meters, by my estimate. so FD and BF are probably closer to 15 Smash meters wide, not 16

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
watching some higher level players play Steve and his up smash really is a marvel in design and balance

Since Steve can place blocks under himself and move himself up to the top blast zone, they designed his up smash so that it was impossible to use while standing on a block. Blocks always expire before he can finish the attack, so, at best, you get the magma block damage, but with no chance to get the final hit in

His up tilt and up air are also weak attacks, so he lacks any real tools to abuse his ability to move his opponent up to the top blast zone

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
With all due respect, I guess my problem with Geno is that, at this point...he just kinda feels like a waste to me.

As in, we have an opportunity to go up to Square-Enix for a new fighter, and instead of going with a popular main character who represents their own series like 2B or even Lara Croft, we're just gonna go with...a 10th Mario character? One that was just a party member from a single RPG spinoff from years ago?

It really is just such a bizarre and super specific character request.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
a 9th Mario character
He'll be the 10th, actually. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Dr. Mario, Rosalina, Bowser Jr., Daisy, Piranha Plant and Geno.

But I dunno, if you're fulfilling a super specific fan request like Geno I don't think factors like the company that owns him or the series he is part of necessarily matter much; you're just getting him in because the character is popular.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Geno barely has anything to do with Mario so even if he would be the 10th Mario character it's not like what he's bringing has much to do with Mario aesthetically or gameplay-wise

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Man, i'd almost be tempted to buy that Fire Emblem collector's edition if it wasn't $90 AUD. No thank you.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Geno's inclusion would entirely boil down to answering fan requests. I'm fine admitting that, and that the costume was a nice little treat.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
He'll be the 10th, actually. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Dr. Mario, Rosalina, Bowser Jr., Daisy, Piranha Plant and Geno.

But I dunno, if you're fulfilling a super specific fan request like Geno I don't think factors like the company that owns him or the series he is part of necessarily matter much; you're just getting him in because the character is popular.
I still think Geno's vocal fans grossly oversell his popularity. And next to Banjo, Ridley and K. Rool, who are all major players in their respective franchises, Geno is...just kind of there as a one-off Mario spinoff character.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I still think Geno's vocal fans grossly oversell his popularity. And next to Banjo, Ridley and K. Rool, who are all major players in their respective franchises, Geno is...just kind of there as a one-off Mario spinoff character.
this is anecdotal, but one of my close friends hasn't ever played SMRPG and doesn't care that much about Smash, and she wants Geno (and Sora and Shadow)

I feel like he's kinda moved a bit outside the very online Smash Bros bubble

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Did Australia really ban importing any "mature" anime/manga goods?
Yep; no more horny allowed in Australia.

Honestly, the types of products banned are reasonable, and i'm not ordering any of that shit in the first place so 🤷‍♂️

All we can go off is what Sakurai himself said about Geno's popularity:

"He's very popular. When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests."

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

While I agree that Geno's legacy as "the fourth Never Ever" is vastly overstated, at the end of the day all we have to go on is the word of Sakurai himself.

Geno's a Mario character and the Mario franchise is more popular than God. It's not out of the question his profile be built up as it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.