What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Means absolutely nothing. Dragon Quest III's popularity meant it has been endlessly imitated or served as an influence for countless games over the years (including a few referenced in this very thread). Whenever a piece of non-video game media in Japan references video games, or especially RPGs, it's usually this one game.
I was merely giving an anecdote for the west. I know DQ is a juggernaut in Japan.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The thing is, Erdrick really isn't for us. Erdrick is for Japan. I don't think it's fair to judge them with western popularity, when they aren't even getting in because of the west.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Means absolutely nothing. Dragon Quest III's popularity meant it has been endlessly imitated or served as an influence for countless games over the years (including a few referenced in this very thread). Whenever a piece of non-video game media in Japan references video games, or especially RPGs, it's usually this one game.
We're not talking about Japan.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Both Banjo and Erdrick will be at the same level when they both get in Smash.
Yeah that's kind of my point. Both characters would be huge to have in Smash and would make alot of people happy even if they're kind of at opposite ends with either one appealing more to certain territories and audiences.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably the biggest proponent there is for Dragon Quest content in Smash, and while the Dragon Quest franchise is obviously a much bigger deal than the Banjo-Kazooie franchise (you'd have to be crazy to argue otherwise), that doesn't necessarily mean Erdrick is a bigger deal than Banjo, especially in the context of Smash Bros. where Banjo has been a consistently popular request since before Melee. The sales of their flagship games aren't too far off from each other either; Dragon Quest III and Banjo-Kazooie have both sold just under four million copies, and very few of those DQIII sales came from outside of Japan.

Given the character's standing within the Smash community and the historically turbulent relationship between Nintendo and Microsoft, Banjo would undoubtedly be perceived as the big "holy shit" character of this DLC cycle. Erdrick is a, "hmm, yes, well-deserved" nodding-while-golf-clapping inclusion, whereas Banjo is a streamer-breaks-his-desk-and-screams-into-a-pillow kind of pick.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Banjo would also be amazing for the music alone, while Dragon Quest would likely just bring two outdated versions of tracks that directly benefit a war crime denier.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Okay after seeing this video on him I'm actually cool with Erdrick making it in to Smash. It's kind of charming how much in high regard Japan treats Dragon Quest and it got me interested in checking out these games. Of course if I had an option for a Square character it would be Sora or 2B by a country mile

Also I fucked up the Font. What's the default font for Era again?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably the biggest proponent there is for Dragon Quest content in Smash, and while the Dragon Quest franchise is obviously a much bigger deal than the Banjo-Kazooie franchise (you'd have to be crazy to argue otherwise), that doesn't necessarily mean Erdrick is a bigger deal than Banjo, especially in the context of Smash Bros. where Banjo has been a consistently popular request since before Melee. The sales of their flagship games aren't too far off from each other either; Dragon Quest III and Banjo-Kazooie have both sold just under four million copies, and very few of those DQIII sales came from outside of Japan.

Given the character's standing within the Smash community and the historically turbulent relationship between Nintendo and Microsoft, Banjo would undoubtedly be perceived as the big "holy shit" character of this DLC cycle. Erdrick is a, "hmm, yes, well-deserved" nodding-while-golf-clapping inclusion, whereas Banjo is a streamer-breaks-his-desk-and-screams-into-a-pillow kind of pick.
Before he went off the deep end, Etika would have done that for literally any pick announced.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Posts like this show you know nothing of Dragon Quest III.

"Fantasy wish fulfillment" are not words that would describe that game, lol.

"Fantasy wish fulfillment" in the sense that you're exploring a mysterious fantasy world where you ROLE PLAY a hero, which FFVII was about tearing down, both with the story of Cloud Strife and his wannabe heroics and the whole specifically non-fantastical and heavily industrialized city of Midgar.

Or do you know nothing of RPGs just in general?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody can deliver a compendium of IP and character diversity in a Smash-like game than Nintendo, moreso now than ever that third party reps are included. "Smash-like" is inherently part of the problem. Even ignoring the IP representation, Smash has defined and owned the formula that at this point any similar game is going to draw unfavourable comparisons. I can imagine the risk of similarity and thus lack of original passion driving development, alongside competing with a portfolio of almost 35 years worth of characters, is not the greatest incentive.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm eager to see Dragon Quest character in Smash Bros. Yes, I haven't play DQ3 but I have played another Dragon Quest that actually got released in NA. I wouldn't be disappointed if it ended up being wrong but still Dragon Quest is quite exciting based on whom they are going with.

Sure, you're basically who I'm talking about. You love Dragon Quest, but you can't really pinpoint a main hero to play as in Smash the way Cloud Strife did.

I am. Erdrick isn't my first DLC choice, but if he's in, then I'm all for him because I love Dragon Quest III.

But do you love Erdrick? What does Erdrick mean to you? Who is Erdrick?

Do you love Dragon Quest III because of Erdrick, or because of the world around him?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
"Fantasy wish fulfillment" in the sense that you're exploring a mysterious fantasy world where you ROLE PLAY a hero, which FFVII was about tearing down, both with the story of Cloud Strife and his wannabe heroics and the whole specifically non-fantastical and heavily industrialized city of Midgar.

Final Fantasy VII wasn't a deconstruction of wish-fulfillment. It's not even the first time that the series has dealt with muddled or lost memories in a protagonist or a heavily industrialized, antagonistic imperial nation. Final Fantasy VII was all about doing what the series had done before, but with the power of CD-ROMs and polygons.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Y'know what when Erdrick makes it in I really hope they change his color scheme. He actually looks really cool with a more muted color scheme compared to the more garish bright yellow, purple, and blue alot of depictions have him as. Probably might be why I warmed up to him

dcl2mnm-642f6583-851c-46a6-aaf3-319e67228df5.png

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Banjo would also be amazing for the music alone, while Dragon Quest would likely just bring two outdated versions of tracks that directly benefit a war crime denier.
Erdrick brings up a strong moral dilemma.

Do we accept the two tracks so that Sugiyama gets as little as possible, or do we want more tracks because Dragon Quest has good music and (if not for the composer) should have more.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Dragon Quest III, like a lot of DQ games, seem more like a series of vignettes, not all of which have a happy ending. Particularly for Erdrick, who for all their actions, are rewarded with a, at best, bittersweet ending.

Congrats on saving the world. Now you have to live in this other world for the rest of your days, separated from your mother and everyone else you ever knew. And you won't be around to protect this world from the future threats that you know are coming. Hopefully your descendants are up to the task.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, you're basically who I'm talking about. You love Dragon Quest, but you can't really pinpoint a main hero to play as in Smash the way Cloud Strife did.

But do you love Erdrick? What does Erdrick mean to you? Who is Erdrick?

Do you love Dragon Quest III because of Erdrick, or because of the world around him?
Erdrick is a part of my nostalgia for the days of playing RPGs as a child. I was one of those kids that got the first game through a Nintendo Power subscription and the subsequent games always fascinated me. Dragon Quest III, with its polish, job system, giant world for its era, and the story that loops back to become a prequel to the original game is a lovely thing. Erdrick may not be my favorite RPG hero ever, but the character represents a series, and an era of RPGs, that means a lot to me.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the next big "Smash-like" crossover should be "Powerstone-like" instead. It's an excellent, 3D alternative that would be less likely to invite unfavorable comparisons to Smash.

Erdrick brings up a strong moral dilemma.

Do we accept the two tracks so that Sugiyama gets as little as possible, or do we want more tracks because Dragon Quest has good music and (if not for the composer) should have more.
It's up for Chrono Trigger to fill in the gaps.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Outside of Smash discussion and Yooka Laylee, I never hear about Banjo. I don't think it's as important a game as it is often implied by its Smash supporters.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
It's up for Chrono Trigger to fill in the gaps.
Now we're talking. Honestly, I would much rather have Crono as our "Square Enix JRPG swordfighter designed by Akira Toriyama" (because I actually kinda have a nostalgic connection to Chrono Trigger), but I get why Erdrick is in.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VII wasn't a deconstruction of wish-fulfillment. It's not even the first time that the series has dealt with muddled or lost memories in a protagonist or a heavily industrialized, antagonistic imperial nation. Final Fantasy VII was all about doing what the series had done before, but with the power of CD-ROMs and polygons.

Can't really agree with that, but the rest be spoilers so ach.

Cloud is a wannabe loser who sucks so much he role plays as Zack to make up for his crippling self esteem issues, failure to talk to girls, and the fact that he will never ever ever be good enough to be in SOLDIER. He breaks over the course of the story when his charade falls through until he eventually finds the strength to live as himself. He's a shy dork who's better than he thinks is when he puts actual effort into being himself and not the stoic badass he thinks he has to be.

On the surface Cloud is just another JRPG about Pursuing Thy True Self. In practice and within surrounding context FFVII is a lambasting of the notion of role playing itself.

Erdrick is a part of my nostalgia for the days of playing RPGs as a child. I was one of those kids that got the first game through a Nintendo Power subscription and the subsequent games always fascinated me. Dragon Quest III, with its polish, job system, giant world for its era, and the story that loops back to become a prequel to the original game is a lovely thing. Erdrick may not be my favorite RPG hero ever, but the character represents a series, and an era of RPGs, that means a lot to me.

Just to be clear I'm not shitting on Dragon Quest in Smash, I'm saying that Erdrick himself is a cipher through which you explore the world. Erdrick doesn't matter any more than any other RPG avatar does, what matters is the world he explores.

Erdrick is important for what he represents, not who he is. Which is fine. That doesn't make him any less deserving to be in Smash.

Outside of Smash discussion and Yooka Laylee, I never hear about Banjo. I don't think it's as important a game as it is often implied by its Smash supporters.

Take what Hailinel said but apply it to the N64 generation and its love affair with 3D platformers and you've got a clear enough answer as to why Banjo's supporters are so fervent.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Where the hell have you been on the internet especially in regards to Microsoft? Every year before E3 people take any small thing related to Banjo and think it's a hint that there might be something new for him at E3, and is a constant question for Microsoft's output. Not to mention is one of the most talked about 3D Platformers ever you might as well say that Mario 64 is one of the most obscure Mario games

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Take what Hailinel said but apply it to the N64 generation and its love affair with 3D platformers and you've got a clear enough answer as to why Banjo's supporters are so fervent.

No, no, I get that it's nostalgic for people, and that's why Banjo has so much support in Smash discussions, but it didn't define the 3D platformer. Mario 64 is right there, you know, and it's a more important and influential game.

That's the game I hear about a lot.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Where the hell have you been on the internet especially in regards to Microsoft? Every year before E3 people take any small thing related to Banjo and think it's a hint that there might be something new for him at E3, and is a constant question for Microsoft's output. Not to mention is one of the most talked about 3D Platformers ever you might as well say that Mario 64 is one of the most obscure Mario games

I'm not in Xbox discussions because I don't have an Xbox One. I've got a PS4 and a Switch.

Maybe that's my problem.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not in Xbox discussions because I don't have an Xbox One. I've got a PS4 and a Switch.

Maybe that's my problem.
I don't even tune into Xbox discussions either but Banjo has still been talked alot in Nintendo circles too. Hell Rare Replay is one of the most requested games from the Nintendo and Microsoft collaboration in part due to Banjo

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, no, I get that it's nostalgic for people, and that's why Banjo has so much support in Smash discussions, but it didn't define the 3D platformer. Mario 64 is right there, you know, and it's a more important and influential game.

That's the game I hear about a lot.

It didn't define the 3D platformer because Mario got there first. Otherwise Banjo-Kazooie is one of the faces of the 64 and the generation that grew up with one.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even tune into Xbox discussions either but Banjo has still been talked alot in Nintendo circles too. Hell Rare Replay is one of the most requested games from the Nintendo and Microsoft collaboration in part due to Banjo

Rare Replay didn't do too well on the Xbox One, right?

It didn't define the 3D platformer because Mario got there first. Otherwise Banjo-Kazooie is one of the faces of the 64 and the generation that grew up with one.

That's kinda my point. And also why I think DQ vs. Banjo isn't a fair match. DQ, and III in particular, defined a lot about turn based RPGs. Banjo did not do the same for 3D platformers because Mario got there first.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Saying Banjo doesn't matter because it isn't as big as Mario 64 is asinine.

That's like saying there's no other important RPGS other than Final Fantasy or Pokemon. No worthy FPS other than Call of Duty.

Banjo Kazooie is one of the most popular 3D platformers that still has an enduring legacy. Honestly it's a little annoying how much Banjo's popularity has been downplayed in recent discussion for like no reason.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Are we gonna talk about Goldeneye now? (If non-game characters were allowed, would we be talking about James Bond?)
You know, Goldeneye isn't the only Rare game in the Top 10 best-selling N64 games (DK64 is 7th, Diddy Kong Racing is 8th and Banjo-Kazooie is 10th). Even if non-video game characters were allowed, we still wouldn't get James Bond because of the actor's likeness. Sakurai put it best:

"Showing realistic guns = no good! Character uses an actor's likeness = no good! Since the original game is based on a movie, getting those rights = no good! He's Rare's property = no good! Blocked on all fronts."

Stuff like realistic guns and being Rare property doesn't matter anymore, but the others still stand.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we gonna talk about Goldeneye now?
Rare Replay didn't do too well on the Xbox One, right?

That's kinda my point. And also why I think DQ vs. Banjo isn't a fair match. DQ, and III in particular, defined a lot about turn based RPGs. Banjo did not do the same for 3D platformers because Mario got there first.

If DQIII didn't do it someone else would have. They cribbed their ideas from Wizardry and Ultima anyway.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
What does Super Mario 64 have to do with anything? Why can't Banjo be an independently popular, requested character, and why isn't that enough for some people? I genuinely don't get it.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well getting back to Dragon Quest. I've been trying to dig into Dragon Quest music and honestly it's really solid. Hopefully the Smash music team is given the chance to work on it because there's alot of potential here

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not Marvel. I don't ask "What If?".

(I'm very proud I made this incredibly nerdy joke.)

*clap*

But more seriously, Dragon Quest was inspired by other games like Wizardry and Ultima, and arguably wouldn't exist without them.

Anyway this discussion has run its course and Ryce put it best. Regardless of Banjo leaving his mark or whatever, he's still a popular and beloved request for Smash, and at the end of the day that's all that really matters.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
I want to see Erdrick because of his moveset potential and alt potential. If it was literally just default Erdrick and a generic sword moveset (both unlikely), then I wouldn't be interested at all.

As for Banjo, I'm not for or against the pair, but I have no attachment to them.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Hey, Super Mario 64 is one of my favourite games of all time and it is definitely the far more influential and revolutionary game in comparison to Banjo-Kazooie.

But I also still want Banjo & Kazooie in Smash, because I enjoyed the original game by it's own merits and view the characters as a defining part of the N64 era (which is only represented by Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64 and Animal Crossing on the current roster; and Wolf was supposed to be a SNES character originally too).

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I would want Click Clock Woods, but Yoshi's Island Brawl stole the seasons gimmick.

II'll at least take a remix medley with the four themes though.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no attachment to Banjo-Kazooie but I recognize that it played a big part in defining an era and that if it weren't for the Rare buyout B&K would have been guaranteed for Melee. They're also one of the last white whales following Ridley and K. Rool.

Status
Not open for further replies.