One more fighter left: will they be First-Party or Third-Party?

• First-Party (returning series)

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • First-Party (new series)

Votes: 16 10.5%
  • Third-Party (returning series)

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Third-Party (new series)

Votes: 85 55.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a question to get us to the new thread: What game genre would be the hardest to adapt to a Smash moveset? (I.e Hero's Command based Down-B)
I think that's more of a result of Sakurai going deep with this one. Cloud and Pokemon would be justified to have menus too, but they don't.

Anyway, microtransactions in F2P stuff would be my answer.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
So there's that thread about surprisingly fleshed out Gameboy games, and one of the first posts has someone get confused and post Zone of the Enders: Fist of Mars. People had already corrected him that it's actually a Gameboy Advance game, but I thought to point out that it's not exactly "surprising" since it's essentially a Super Robot Wars clone by the original developers of that series, so naturally they'd have the expertise. But I had a meeting or whatever and forgot if I actually posted it, so I thought I'd check to make sure before I try to type it out again. Turns out that I actually did post it already. In April. The thread was actually just bumped recently and I apparently reacted the exact same way the first time it was posted.

I think that at least shows that I'm authentic.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Aww man, it's not 101 anymore.

Screen_Shot_2021-09-01_at_12.38.42_PM.png

I can try again with Everyone Is Leaving, lol.
Also true

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a thread after the next one given that the next reveal will take up a lot of the posts, so that title will probably get its chance.
Unless the next character is months away I feel like the next one will be the last before we get kicked out into Hangouts

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
All this talk for a subtitle that has the potential to be replaced within a week or two.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In happier news, I'm starting to come around to Psychonauts 2. The beginning is actually pretty friggin' boring and the writing is ultra stale, that comparison I made where it kind of felt the same between Ratchet & Clank and its 2016 remake felt apt, but as the characters interact and develop some more it not only recaptures some of that Psychonauts-brand sardonic wit and sinister underpining to the cast, it actually pushes Raz into pretty interesting places starting with the first real mental world that I'd never think would be explored.

It still feels like a very different kind of experience, Psychonauts was a game where the actual moment to moment gameplay existed more as a connecting thread to interesting character dynamics and set pieces, but "a very different kind of experience" is something I feel as a positive now, like what's happening here is an outgrowth of the concept instead of a divorce from why I liked Psychonauts as much as I did.

Anyway I'm going to start playing the Persona 2 duology before SMTV. I don't actually know why.

All this talk for a subtitle that has the potential to be replaced within a week or two.
I don't think we've ever actually done this.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In hindsight I should have proposed "clearing space for Nickolodeon All-Stars"

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
James Marsters is one of the precious few Celebrities From My Area so they put his incredibly funny senior photo in the local magazine along with Timothy Olyphant and a whole bunch of people I've never heard of in my life

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Also Nick Smash has no side specials.

Starting at ground zero with Smash 64 move sets I guess.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
So I just learned that Ys IX is releasing next week on Switch.

Several months after it already released every where else in the world. No other Falcom game has done this.

Now I'm not saying this means Falcom in Smash, but...

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Also Nick Smash has no side specials.

Starting at ground zero with Smash 64 move sets I guess.
Can't wait for Nick All-Stars Ultimate in a few decades, with 80+ characters, including guests from other cartoon networks (can't think of any good examples of a cartoon network, sorry). Finally, we can play as David the Gnome.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Can't wait for Nick All-Stars Ultimate in a few decades, with 80+ characters, including guests from other cartoon networks (can't think of any good examples of a cartoon network, sorry). Finally, we can play as David the Gnome.

I'm maining Freakazoid in Nick Ultimate.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I've only beaten the first one or two games in the Ys series but I feel like I should make it a point to play a few considering that Ys has also given us so many thoughtful critques over the course of these threads.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I feel like a cranky old man since the Nick Smash meme-ing doesn't really amuse me anymore

I'm kinda just waiting for the game to come out so people can see how not very good it is, and then forget about it

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
I feel like a cranky old man since the Nick Smash meme-ing doesn't really amuse me anymore

I'm kinda just waiting for the game to come out so people can see how not very good it is, and then forget about it

Slap City was pretty good. I don't think Nick Smash will be as good as Smash Ultimate, but it'll probably be much better than most Smash clones. At least it'll be entertaining to beat up children as Garfield for a few months.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
My problem with the Nickelodeon fighting game is that, much like 95% of other Smash clones, it really seems like the people working on it have no grasp on animation fundamentals. Lack of strong key posing and good readable silhouettes has been a constant in everything they've shown so far.

I want to give it the benefit of the doubt, though, seeing how every trailer they've released has given a very bad look into the actual fighting mechanics, in part because they don't allow for the camera to remain static enough to parse anything.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Well, you'll be in good company cos there's likely going to be a lot of anger in the next thread.

TPyxThY.png

If Haruka actually happened, I think this thread would be stunned in amazement. Can't picture anyone being angry knowing someone with prophetic vision was a regular here the whole time.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
If my understanding of what David the Gnome is is correct, I've had the (translated) original book as a kid. It was... a thing, alright. I think the text author would actually do some Kiryu/Sans-esque prevention from brawling if he was still alive.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Well, you'll be in good company cos there's likely going to be a lot of anger in the next thread.

TPyxThY.png
I think anyone in this thread who might have been angry about Haruka making it has already been Stockholm Syndromed into acceptance, by now, to be honest. They might even be happy, now. Such is your influence.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Slap City was pretty good. I don't think Nick Smash will be as good as Smash Ultimate, but it'll probably be much better than most Smash clones. At least it'll be entertaining to beat up children as Garfield for a few months.
Even if the devs have a good pedigree (granted, I had never heard of Slap City until this game was announced, so I don't have a point of reference for this) I'm just put off by how the actual fighting looks, you can easily see the low-budget licensed game in it.

Not to knock the devs for that, they probably weren't given a whole lot of time to make it within, but the "hype" for a game that obviously won't be great is wearing thin for me.

Last edited:

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like releasing April O'Neil trailers for two different games so close together didn't do the Nickelodeon Smash Game any favors

Status
Not open for further replies.