Status
Not open for further replies.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
The environment wasn't particularly interesting. Kind of reminded me of the Smash 4 canyon in a way.
I liked it, a broody forest environment and some ruins is a nice difference from the usual

Bit surprised Ganon wasn't part of the trailer, since it seemed to be in the sacred realm part of dark world, but I suppose they were pushing it with 4 new cg models and the horse as-is

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think the Castlevania trailer was the most well directed and fun, but as a Rare fanboy, K. Rool/Banjo's make me smile every time.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I still have this dread that the orchestrated music in Hero's trailer was just for the trailer and in-game this is what we get

I'm definitely with you there. On one hand Fortune Street PS2/PSP had a full selection of orchestra task tracks but then Fortune Street PS4 had a load of bad synth tracks. I feel like I'm not eager to see what comes Hero more than Hero himself.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
You know, that forest could've been a great setting for a Shadow/Decidueye trailer (in an alternate timeline where we got them instead of Ken/Incineroar).

Replicates the setting of Sonic and Shadow's first fight in SA2, and, you know... a dark brooding forest for the grass/ghost Pokemon.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I still have this dread that the orchestrated music in Hero's trailer was just for the trailer and in-game this is what we get

I'd imagine that Nintendo paid Sugiyama for the orchestral tracks for both Smash & DQXIS at the same time. If I'm not mistaken, the timing would fit relative to when the Fighters Pass characters were locked in.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We're in 1990s gaming nostalgia now, huh? Can't believe we'll have to wait for mid-2000s gaming nostalgia to really push for Ninja Gaiden, lol.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Persona 5 was nominated for GOTY at the 2017 VGA. Joker got announced for Smash at the 2018 VGA.

Who was at the 2018 VGA?

02e

Now imagine someone walking up on stage in the Crash costume to actually accept a Smash letter from Bowser.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Trailer opens, you see Mario driving a Kart, speeding down a straightaway, smash invitation in hand. Mario Circuit is playing over the trailer.

Mario looks focused, but you can see a shadowed racer in the distance trying to catch up. Next thing you know they're right next to Mario stealing the invitation and speeding away. Mario immediately recognizes who it is. It's his old rival, Sonic the Hedgehog! (Super Sonic Racing hits just as Sonic steals the envelope)

Mario furrows his brow and steps on the gas. They go back and forth a couple of times taking the envelope, the music changing to each other's tune every time they grab the envelope.
All of a sudden, you see yet another shadowed racer in the distance. A missle fires off. It hits Mario but the racers are so close they both end up wiping out.
The third racer hard brakes as he catches up to the 2 dizzied mascots and grabs the invitation that's been knocked to the floor
original.jpg

Warp room theme hits and we see that gameplay. Yes the megaphone is a taunt.

The invitation was for Crash. Mario and Sonic wanted to steal it and give it to Waluigi and Shadow, respectively cause they're shook

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Persona 5 was nominated for GOTY at the 2017 VGA. Joker got announced for Smash at the 2018 VGA.

Who was at the 2018 VGA?

02e

Now imagine someone walking up on stage in the Crash costume to actually accept a Smash letter from Bowser.
You know who else was at the Game Awards last year? That's right:
BFp84hE.png

Thanos from Fortnite!

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil

Who was at the 2018 VGA?

02e

N. Sane Trilogy was announced for Switch the same day Smash Ultimate. --Nitro-Fueled is releasing August 1st in Japan.. so, who knows, maybe we'll get another cross-promotion :p

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Uuuugh I didn't know there was a little bit of a gap between the western and Japanese releases and I thought I was gonna be able to play CTR this week ;-;
Ooh, I'm sorry >< .. but maybe (if you're getting it on Switch) you can grab a digital copy from the US eShop? at least you can play while you can't get a Japanese retail version.

I don't have my copy either just yet; --My store is delievering the game July 1st, at the earliest. So I'm also suffering right now ;^;

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trailer opens, you see Mario driving a Kart, speeding down a straightaway, smash invitation in hand. Mario Circuit is playing over the trailer.

Mario looks focused, but you can see a shadowed racer in the distance trying to catch up. Next thing you know they're right next to Mario stealing the invitation and speeding away. Mario immediately recognizes who it is. It's his old rival, Sonic the Hedgehog! (Super Sonic Racing hits just as Sonic steals the envelope)

Mario furrows his brow and steps on the gas. They go back and forth a couple of times taking the envelope, the music changing to each other's tune every time they grab the envelope.
All of a sudden, you see yet another shadowed racer in the distance. A missle fires off. It hits Mario but the racers are so close they both end up wiping out.
The third racer hard brakes as he catches up to the 2 dizzied mascots and grabs the invitation that's been knocked to the floor
original.jpg

Warp room theme hits and we see that gameplay. Yes the megaphone is a taunt.

The invitation was for Crash. Mario and Sonic wanted to steal it and give it to Waluigi and Shadow, respectively cause they're shook

That sounds like a pretty fun trailer.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
So I was looking on Twitter using Japanese keywords for fanart and I found a post that really pegs Nakoruru as a likely review.

The source seems mostly that "flying weapon" guy on Twitter but there's several other (2ch?) posts that have been saying it's her as well.

a899b0b8.jpg

257200ea.jpg

87158a94.jpg

f5a1f56c.jpg

02617b1e.jpg

e7088592.jpg

I mean, yeah, I think she'd be great, but it's looking like there's some momentum gaining for her, at least amongst Japanese Smash fans.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
So I was looking on Twitter using Japanese keywords for fanart and I found a post that really pegs Nakoruru as a likely review.

The source seems mostly that "flying weapon" guy on Twitter but there's several other (2ch?) posts that have been saying it's her as well.

a899b0b8.jpg

257200ea.jpg

87158a94.jpg

f5a1f56c.jpg

02617b1e.jpg

e7088592.jpg

I mean, yeah, I think she'd be great, but it's looking like there's some momentum gaining for her, at least amongst Japanese Smash fans.
If she is dlc, I'll use a jynx avatar for 6 months.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Not a single person knew Bonk? I knew the Smash communities knowledge of the wider gamingsphere was dire, but I didn't think it was this bad.

I still wonder if Heihachi appearing in Pac-Man's taunt has any bearings on his chances at being DLC.

KTltua0.jpg

It's a pretty minor and small cameo, but you'd think if Heihachi was coming later, they'd try to scrub all references to him in the base game. Persona, Dragon Quest and Banjo-Kazooie are nowhere to be seen, after all.
Pac-Man's taunt is full of references to Bamco arcade games and yet they left a gap for a particular idol related series……… 👀

It's definitely more about the character than the series. Right now though there is a glimmer of hope for Xenosaga HD as Harada's promotion at Namco helps. He indicated in a recent interview with Takahashi that he is going to do something with the IP and reach out to the long awaited requests. It's unclear when but there is potential of a revival of the series if Harada does something.

Personally, I think she's likely if the next character is female and is from Namco alone. While KOS-MOS is not iconic in the sense that everyone is going to know her in the world, she at least has that Namco iconic status as a huge crossover queen.
Well we also know which series Bamco Harada loves (tip: if you don't, just look at his Twitter banner). Also there's another character at Bamco who is an even bigger crossover queen.

You know, I've been thinking about the whole "how well does it sell in Japan" thing with Smash. And a thought came to me.

I know Nintendo has commented on series being in Smash getting sales boosts. And how we've all agreed that while Dragon Quest is definetely for Japan, it's also to help boost sales in the west.

So my question is, why can't that tactic be used in Japan? Like, say they put Crash in hypothetically. Why couldn't a reason be to help boost sales in Japan and get another third party franchise regularly being released on Nintendo systems in Japan?
People only brought up Dragon Quest because we know Nintendo has been actively trying to push it for years. I don't think there's an equivilent Western series Nintendo has been trying to push in Japan.

just off the top of my head the following got remixed again: Big Blue, Brinstar Depths, Fourside, Magicant, Light Plane, Duck Hunt Medley, Wrecking Crew Medley, Bath Time, Life on the Island (BY THE SAME GUY), Wild World's Title theme, Pikmin's main theme, Lost in Thoughts All Alone

There might be one or two others, it's maddening

By some miracle Ultiamte is the only time they did not ad a new Island Swing
Sakurai said he wanted Ultimate arrangements to be more engergetic, to suits the chaos that happens in Smash, so may have decided to redo some tunes that already have arrangements. However, what I want to know is, who was complaining about the Light Plane and Bath Time arrangements from Smash for. Those were two of the best in the game. If you hated them, I'm sorry, but you suck.

I think Sora is the "true golden unicorn" that's really left out of all the other Japanese IPs honestly. We don't know how Disney will negotiate (I don't think it's too hard, others here will disagree) but it's fair to call it a big question mark. The other big companies seem a lot more willing to work with Nintendo on this too.
That said, if they actually managed to do it with the DQ franchisee (the one whose IP rights are tangled up with a whole lot of people), then it "may"not be impossible.
Sorry, but until Disney allows Nintendo to release Unirally again Sora is never getting into Smash. Those are the rules.

Remind me to never put time or effort into a post in this thread again. People will just ignore it and keep talking about Crash Bandicoot, lmao.
You started your post with three of the silliest ideas this thread has come up with. People just glazed their eyes upon reading those.

It has been two weeks. Go nuts.
It's not been two weeks. It's just been over a week. Don't be weak and put that avatar back on.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Pfft imagine if Sakurai were to be really boring and give Kirby brown colored Android 17 hair

Imagine that

When there's three other alts with way more interesting head pieces

Imagine

Flat brown hair

Because a character needed to promote a video game with an alternate costume

I really hope for Erdrick Helmet but I have a doubt that it might be it.

Remind me to never put time or effort into a post in this thread again. People will just ignore it and keep talking about Crash Bandicoot, lmao.

It's the normal. Saying something controversy would get yourself the attention pretty fast. (or just shitting on another people's favorites). Most of time, people just ignored some good posts because it's not provoking! :P

I am taking this fucking thing off now.
It has been two weeks. Go nuts.

Actually it has been 10 days but I will let you go early since you seems to be cranky more often with the avatar. :P Gartooth ShinobiBk and another people who had to wear the avatars are being good sportsmanship about it are free from the avatars. So feel free to change it.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Nah it's not Nakoruru. The guy clearly says "like a fighting game character" and uses projectiles. We know if the source is real that the character is quite obscure as they can't recognize her from a faceless 3D model. I think she'd be very recognizable, personally.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Nah it's not Nakoruru. The guy clearly says "like a fighting game character" and uses projectiles. We know if the source is real that the character is quite obscure as they can't recognize her from a faceless 3D model. I think she'd be very recognizable, personally.

Nakoruru isn't even well known character. Not even close. I'm pretty sure that many people wouldn't even know who she is when she got in Smash Bros (only people that has become familiar with her because of the leaks and smash community discussions).

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I bought up Bonk ages ago and got completely no sold.
I mean, if I'm going for Crash and Master Chief to get the PS1 and Xbox mascots in, we might as well get the TurboGrafx weird ass card game system mascot too

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I'm not sure about Nakoruru, but I wouldn't be shocked to see a SNK rep of some kind eventually; being in this Season Pass or not.

SNK has been present on Switch basically since launch with constant Arcade Archives.. which in the first months, were basically what people had to play other than Zelda, Bomberman and Blaster Master

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Bonk is like one of three TurboGrafx games random people can name. It's not that nobody knows the character... it's just that nobody cares.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Nakoruru isn't even well known character. Not even close. I'm pretty sure that many people wouldn't even know who she is when she got in Smash Bros (only people that has become familiar with her because of the leaks and smash community discussions).

I'm sure she's known in Japan and considering the source is Japanese I really feel they'd recognize her. Japan is huge in fighting games.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Not saying Bonk is getting is, I just thought I'd throw a random character into the thread cos the thread is in a loop literally talking about the same characters over and over and variety is the spice of life.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I don't think anyone who isn't familiar with Nakoruru (and would not able to name her) would easily be able to identify her as a fighting game character.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Not saying Bonk is getting is, I just thought I'd throw a random character into the thread cos the thread is in a loop literally talking about the same characters over and over and variety is the spice of life.

Might be worth starting with a character people actually care about.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Nakoruru is probably more known for her presence in Capcom vs. SNK than in Samurai Shodown games.

I mean, she was among the few in CvS that were not from Street Fighter or The King of Fighters (at the time..); so she stands out!

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I don't think anyone who isn't familiar with Nakoruru (and would not able to name her) would easily be able to identify her as a fighting game character.

I mean I don't want to humour that guy much as he might be fake but he said from the model alone it's not Reimu and that's without a face according to the "faceless 3D model"

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Yeah, we need some more variety in here.

So about Shadow Nightmare...

I know you guys are all afraid of my crazy good idea for the next Zelda rep, but you can't tell me that a character morphing into different Zelda enemies and bosses for each attack wouldn't be great. Probably infeasible, sure, but still cool.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nakoruru is probably more known for her presence in Capcom vs. SNK than in Samurai Shodown games.

I mean, she was among the few in CvS that were not from Street Fighter or The King of Fighters (at the time..); so she stands out!

We'd probably get DOA's Kasumi before we get Nakoruru. Samurai Showdown is small time.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
At least among Japanese Smash fans he is pretty popular and requested.

Top five from official Japanese magazine:

1. Bandana Dee
2. Rex
3. Sora
4. Geno
5. Crash

I imagine you would probably have a hard time getting people under 20 to recognize who Crash is though.
I don't doubt that Crash stands the greatest chance out of all the western 3rd parties (excluding minecraft), but since western characters are still a super minority it's fair to take a more pessimistic stance on it. Through I don't think they care too much about age groups when Banjo made it in.

being characters that got support both in the west and Japan, I'd say yes.. but we should consider other factors, like, say... a character like Doomguy that got a big vocal audience in the west but no one requesting in Japan (they would be more happy with a Skyrim character, I suppose); he would have almost the same merits of Crash and Sora imo.
See that's the thing...the argument that states that a FPS rep has to be added in because the genre is new doesn't hold too much water since you can replicate that argument with a lot of things. For example -

"We should get a DOTA rep in smash because not only is it a worldwide phenomenon with millions of dollars as a competitive e-sport, it will bring over a brand new audience to smash and its a rep for mobas! Also Gaben mentioned that he is 100% ok with HL2 being in smash so why not dota"

a899b0b8.jpg

257200ea.jpg

87158a94.jpg

f5a1f56c.jpg

02617b1e.jpg

e7088592.jpg

Someone can't tell the difference between a bird and a weapon.
emot-allears.gif

Also something something too small of a series (sorry if I was being really snarky. But the chances of SS making it in is so small we shouldn't take it too seriously)

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Find me someone else in this thread who wants Bonk in Smash.
Someone got out of bed on the wrong side this morning lol

I don't even want Bonk in Smash. As I said, I just thought I'd chuck a name in no one ever mentions in this thread despite Bonk being a reasonably well known character (for those who have a reasonably broad gaming knowledge).

Heck, I didn't even know someone isn't allowed to discuss a character in this thread unless someone else wants them. I'll keep that in mind in future.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'd say she looks like someone from a fighting game.
Eh, I don't agree.

If they could easily identify them as a fighting game character but not know who they are, I think it would need to be very clear in the design; like a karate gi or something.

Not that I believe that rumor; just playing into the scenario.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing Trials of Mana. Maybe we could get a Mana chara-

I can't even finish that sentence without bursting out laughing, lol.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Someone got out of bed on the wrong side this morning lol

I don't even want Bonk in Smash. As I said, I just thought I'd chuck a name in no one ever mentions in this thread despite Bonk being a reasonably well known character (for those who have a reasonably broad gaming knowledge).

Heck, I didn't even know someone isn't allowed to discuss a character in this thread unless someone else wants them. I'll keep that in mind in future.

I'm pretty sure when you originally posted Bonk most people assumed it was a joke and kept scrolling, though. My point is you can't really expect much discussion from a character nobody really wants and is very unlikely. Nothing saying you can't post any character you want, but I can't imagine you were very surprised when nobody bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.