• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
You know, all that Crash talk earlier was pretty pointless

we all know Arthas will be the Activision Blizzard rep.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I completed Miitopia the other day (I may have bought it because I heard the tracks in Ultimate).

They could have thrown a whole lot more from the OST in Smash, it's that good.

Even the regular battle music is great.

Time to push for a sequel.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I completed Miitopia the other day (I may have bought it because I heard the tracks in Ultimate).

That's my favourite battle theme from that game and I'm kinda bummed it didn't get in

Atleast the Event Battle one did, that one's alright too

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
We've got Shulk, now I want Reyn for Smash.

And that is entirely so he can have an event battle where it's one of him versus seven of Joker.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
We've got Shulk, now I want Reyn for Smash.

And that is entirely so he can have an event battle where it's one of him versus seven of Joker.
It'd be a great Classic Mode round, that's for sure.

You know, Joker having two variants of All-Out Attack to represent the Phantom Theives properly just makes me wish that Shulk also had an alternate FS with Reyn, Sharla and Melia.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny looking at old threads and seeing people tell me Joker was extremely unlikely and the only Atlus character they could see coming was Jack Frost.

A lot of early Ultimate talk has aged like milk.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Last edited:

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just stick Final Fantasy in 'Other' and we can use the epic Miitopia and Streetpass Quest music on its stage.
Imagine if you can play Ring a Ding on every stage in the game, ESPECIALLY Midgar.

I'll only accept a sequel if there's text to speech like Tomodachi Life. That was part of what made Tomodachi Life so fun, and to not have it in Miitopia was a bit of a letdown.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
It's funny looking at old threads and seeing people tell me Joker was extremely unlikely and the only Atlus character they could see coming was Jack Frost.

A lot of early Ultimate talk has aged like milk.

Extreme, comedic amounts of skepticism and pessimism will always be a staple of Smash speculation, lol.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I've been thinking about echo DLC, and I think the only situation where we'd get them would be near the end of DLC, if they have finished up everything and are on time for February 2020, at that point (Decemberish, I assume) they would put together a few to release in the final wave of DLC.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah speculation from pre-E3 2018 has been completely blown out. "Everyone is Here" is something only a few people seemed to have gotten right, and it also led to the smallest newcomer roster at launch for a Smash game.

Then around half of the character choices were entirely picked from fan-demand rather than relevancy, which seems like a significant contrast from Smash 4. It's kind of comical how riskier picks like K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie are in while safer picks like an ARMS or Xenoblade rep got snubbed.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, Nakoruru is such a weird character choice to me. Samurai Shodown was dead for decades before the recent revival, and Nakoruru herself has never been the most popular SNK pick in the crossovers. It feels like her recent push is extremely opportunistic instead of genuine.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I've been thinking about echo DLC, and I think the only situation where we'd get them would be near the end of DLC, if they have finished up everything and are on time for February 2020, at that point (Decemberish, I assume) they would put together a few to release in the final wave of DLC.
I wouldn't mind echos. Would like a Proto Man, Tails, Dixie, Impa, and so on.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, Nakoruru is such a weird character choice to me. Samurai Shodown was dead for decades before the recent revival, and Nakoruru herself has never been the most popular SNK pick in the crossovers. It feels like her recent push is extremely opportunistic instead of genuine.
I feel like part of it is just people wanting an SNK character but thinking they can't get Terry because he was in FEXL.

Which is dumb but whatever.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't think Nakoruru has any chance. If SNK got a rep it would be Terry.

SamSho having bomb written over it isn't a good sign. They honestly should've taken the Epic money for the PC version to recoup some costs.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like part of it is just people wanting an SNK character but thinking they can't get Terry because he was in FEXL.

Which is dumb but whatever.
I think it's that, the fact that there's a new Samurai Shodown in the works, and people just wanting more female reps. The latter part which I get, but the rest makes me iffy about her inclusion.

Deleted member 52093

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2019
I think Kyo is more likely than Terry, honestly. KOF is still an ongoing series while Fatal Fury retired and folded into the series, similar to how Final Fight is now part of the Street Fighter series. Also, Sakurai was a KOF player back in the day with many mechanics in Smash borrowing heavily from KOF.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think people really overestimate how big SNK games are around these parts.

(Before people tell me how small Ninja Gaiden is, I am aware. I stan for it. And the whole basis for that is built on Nintendo treating the original NES game as iconic. And even then I fully admit it is a long shot now and in the future.)

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
1. I want Digimon (Agumon) in Smash.

7UtfO1b.png

2. I don't believe the color theory. It's just illogical they choose the character on base of the color. The color of the background it's just significant for the character but not limitant or determinant.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

7UtfO1b.png

2. I don't believe the color theory. It's just illogical they choose the character on base of the color. The color of the background it's just significant for the character but not limitant or determinant.

My view on colour theory as it were is more that the characters were chosen in part due to how they visually complement one another, and we're unlikely to get another character who falls into the exact same style.

As an example, let's say Lloyd Irving was super beloved to the point of being on par with K.Rool. I still don't think he'd get in because we already have two teenaged anime swordsmen in the game, and he'd be redundant.

Last edited:

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
I gotta ask this question to everyone here, cause it's driving me fucking nuts.

When you play Smash against the CPU and do random, does it seemingly constantly pick the same characters over and over from a pool of like 15-20 that you never play? This is something I've been noticing a ton and it's making me pretty crazy.

I do 1v1 LV9 CPU fights on whatever jobsite I'm on where I have no wifi and I always choose random and I ALWAYS get the same characters.

Ice Climbers, Fox, Greninja, Palutena, Peach/Daisy, Pikachu/Pichu, Shiek, Bowser Jr, Kirby, Metaknight, Pac-Man and all the FE characters except Ike. What this group has in common is that I've never used most of them and the ones I have has been a fight or two and nothing else.

I'll rarely get anyone outside that group as a random pick and even weirder I've almost NEVER fought a character I use a lot, so Lucas, Diddy, Zelda, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Piranha Plant, K. Rool, Joker, Duck Hunt.

Has anyone else noticed this? Am I just going nuts from mathematical probability or something? Am I just sour because for whatever reason I loathe facing a bunch of these characters as a LV9 CPU? HELP

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My view on colour theory as it were is more that the characters were chosen in part due to how they visually complement one another, and we're unlikely to get another character who falls into the exact same style.

As an example, let's say Lloyd Irving was super beloved to the point of being on par with K.Rool. I still don't think he'd get in because we already have two teenaged anime swordsmen in the game, and he'd be redundant.
I mean we already have two teenaged "swordsman" next to each other on the Pass preview and even then I don't think Lloyd for example would be that similar to the current ones we have now. He already boasts a completely different color scheme and uses a different fighting set.

Not to mention looking at Color Theory he could still have a different color to compliment him. Such as light blue or light green which is used in Symphonia's box arts and it could be used tangentially just like on how yellow was used tangentially for Banjo and Kazooie. Even the dark red is kind of tangential for Joker and does more to reference P5's color theme

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017

7UtfO1b.png

Same here man, same here man. I would be so happy if we got Agumon in Smash

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that she took this long to make it to NT is more proof that she'd be overlooked for anybody else if a second potential FFVII rep was ever chosen, however.
I dunno, one could argue that the very reason they're adding her there (riding the wave of Remake Tifa hype) is the same reason they'd choose her as a second rep for Smash.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

When you play Smash against the CPU and do random, does it seemingly constantly pick the same characters over and over from a pool of like 15-20 that you never play? This is something I've been noticing a ton and it's making me pretty crazy.

I do 1v1 LV9 CPU fights on whatever jobsite I'm on where I have no wifi and I always choose random and I ALWAYS get the same characters.

Ice Climbers, Fox, Greninja, Palutena, Peach/Daisy, Pikachu/Pichu, Shiek, Bowser Jr, Kirby, Metaknight, Pac-Man and all the FE characters except Ike. What this group has in common is that I've never used most of them and the ones I have has been a fight or two and nothing else.

I'll rarely get anyone outside that group as a random pick and even weirder I've almost NEVER fought a character I use a lot, so Lucas, Diddy, Zelda, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Piranha Plant, K. Rool, Joker, Duck Hunt.

Has anyone else noticed this? Am I just going nuts from mathematical probability or something? Am I just sour because for whatever reason I loathe facing a bunch of these characters as a LV9 CPU? HELP

I always set up 32 man 1v1 tournaments against lvl 9 CPUs. There's a lot of variety that way. Also you can shuffle the bracket if you don't like the draw

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean we already have two teenaged "swordsman" next to each other on the Pass preview and even then I don't think Lloyd for example would be that similar to the current ones we have now. He already boasts a completely different color scheme and uses a different fighting set.

Not to mention looking at Color Theory he could still have a different color to compliment him. Such as light blue or light green which is used in Symphonia's box arts and it could be used tangentially just like on how yellow was used tangentially for Banjo and Kazooie with Yellow. Even the dark red is kind of tangential for Joker and does more to reference P5's color theme

I should probably stop calling it colour theory (who even started that? Was it Brock? It was probably Brock) because I think it's more about visually coding and aesthetic similarity than the actual background colour.

I feel like the Fighter's Pass is going to be sold as its own mini roster, and you don't want to load it up with just the same kind of character. Joker and Hero are differently in a lot of ways and only linked together by being in the broad term of "teenage anime blade wielding hero", but I think adding another one like Lloyd Irving or Byleth/Edelgard tips the balance and explicitly ties them together as "the three anime sword guys."

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

Random Algorithm is pretty messed up. My friends and I usually play random matches quite a lot and random always give us repeated characters (like I got Falco, Lucina, and few characters 3-4 times) then another days, it's different characters getting their moments from random button.

Sometime two or three of us would get same characters from random (ONLINE ARENA, IMAGINE THAT) And sometime two of us getting that character, and another two of them getting that character. It just feel so weird as if the algorithm were based on days and time to decide certain characters to happen.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
They're absolutely not adding more Final Fantasy. They could barely get one character with only 2 songs, didn't even get any spirits or anything

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that "trope overlap" is at least considered. They likely want every pass character to be dissimilar from eachother (I don't consider Joker and Hero to be similar beyond both being like, anime JRPG dudes).

Colors specifically, though? Nah, I don't think that's a clutch. Otherwise I'd be stanning Phoenix (blue) even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.