Status
Not open for further replies.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai said he wanted Ultimate arrangements to be more engergetic, to suits the chaos that happens in Smash, so may have decided to redo some tunes that already have arrangements. However, what I want to know is, who was complaining about the Light Plane and Bath Time arrangements from Smash for. Those were two of the best in the game. If you hated them, I'm sorry, but you suck.
Most of the ones re-arranged where already fairly energetic or had a redo that had about the same energy, so I don't think that's the case at all. If there were a bunch of redone animal crossing tracks (instead of just the one), then I'd see it. But Roost is untouched.
He said he lets composers have free reign of what they make, which is what I think the actual problem is. Sakurai probably should've put some limits in place, honestly, and that applies to Smash For too. There's so many songs I'm sure that a composer could find a second or third song.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
The answer to both of these questions has always been Sephiroth.
H7SyPyW.gif

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
Random Algorithm is pretty messed up. My friends and I usually play random matches quite a lot and random always give us repeated characters (like I got Falco, Lucina, and few characters 3-4 times) then another days, it's different characters getting their moments from random button.

Sometime two or three of us would get same characters from random (ONLINE ARENA, IMAGINE THAT) And sometime two of us getting that character, and another two of them getting that character. It just feel so weird as if the algorithm were based on days and time to decide certain characters to happen.
Ok, so it's not just me going bananas. That's super weird that you guys were going random and getting matching characters. That seems like such a longshot with the size of the roster.
I hate how random seems to be biased towards default alts and also Miis are not in the random pool
I find random CPU is pretty equally an alt. I almost always face female Corrin when they're on random, but maybe there's different weight given to the male/female alts than like, red Ridley or whatever. I also find I rarely fight Bowser Jr. and instead fight one of the Koopa Kids.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Ok, so it's not just me going bananas. That's super weird that you guys were going random and getting matching characters. That seems like such a longshot with the size of the roster.

I find random CPU is pretty equally an alt. I almost always face female Corrin when they're on random, but maybe there's different weight given to the male/female alts than like, red Ridley or whatever. I also find I rarely fight Bowser Jr. and instead fight one of the Koopa Kids.
Yea, I think it treats gender and alt character costumes the same as defaults, but I play random vs random CPUs often and the game seems to almost never pick an alternate color if it can help it.

It's been that way since Smash 4, when I first noticed it happening

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
That Etika news hit like a punch to the gut. I knew it was coming and still it feels like shit

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
I feel like I'd be more confident in Crash if there'd been a bigger push before now for him. His big re-entry into the scene happened after the ballot, so he didn't get to benefit from that, and more recently it seemed like a lot of people held back until the western barrier got broken to support him.

I don't think there's been enough of a big push for him yet, and I feel like he's a character that would require that. I can't really see Sakurai going and seeking Crash out on his own. I still think he's possible but I hesitate to give him much more than that. He makes a lot of sense but for whatever reason the demand for him feels pretty tepid. It's weird.

GarudaSmash

Sep 12, 2018
I feel like I'd be more confident in Crash if there'd been a bigger push before now for him. His big re-entry into the scene happened after the ballot, so he didn't get to benefit from that, and more recently it seemed like a lot of people held back until the western barrier got broken to support him.

I don't think there's been enough of a big push for him yet, and I feel like he's a character that would require that. I can't really see Sakurai going and seeking Crash out on his own. I still think he's possible but I hesitate to give him much more than that. He makes a lot of sense but for whatever reason the demand for him feels pretty tepid. It's weird.
While probably not a primary reason for his lower demand, it's astonishing how many people say that he shouldn't be in because "he's a Sony character".

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

It's been noted before but it should be stressed how much Ultimate has already done for third-parties.

We got the Belmonts, Joker, Erdrick, and Banjo. We got Bomberman and Shovel Knight as ATs. Rayman and Shantae are very well represented through Spirits, and Monster Hunter has Rathalos as an AT and boss.

We're not exactly swimming in dream picks right now and people are scrambling. It's why we're seeing Sora and Crash pick up in steam, among others.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While probably not a primary reason for his lower demand, it's astonishing how many people say that he shouldn't be in because "he's a Sony character".

Right? He's no more Sony than Snake, Cloud, or Joker. Crash may have been created by Naughty Dog, but they haven't touched the character since the 90's. He's Activision's property now.

It's kind of like how people still associate Banjo with Nintendo, despite the series being Microsoft owned for much, much longer.

I...actually am feeling this as well? I don't remember seeing much Crash talk during the ballot. Obviously because the franchise was still dormant at the time. The biggest push I remember was during the March 2018 direct...when the N-Sane trilogy was announced for Switch.

As much as I want Crash Bandicoot, I'm having my doubts that he's actually going to make it this time around. Then again, Doom Slayer's push was entirely kickstarted by the Doom 2016 port announcement.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm sure this had been discussed, but is there anything stopping Captain N from becoming a character (besides how obscure he is)

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
All it takes for people to support a character being in Smash Bros. is for them to have a game released on Switch

That's kinda where a lot of the support for Doom Slayer and a Bethesda rep in general came from. If you'd suggest that during the Wii U/Smash 4 era, you'd be laughed off the site lol

I'm sure this had been discussed, but is there anything stopping Captain N from becoming a character (besides how obscure he is)

The fact that he's a not a video game character. His awful cartoon wasn't even aired in Japan.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crash, like Banjo and Geno, didn't really pick up until recently. I figure the only thing really standing in his way is that they might not want two cartoon animal mascot characters on the pass.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
That's kinda where a lot of the support for Doom Slayer and a Bethesda rep in general came from. If you'd suggest that during the Wii U/Smash 4 era, you'd be laughed off the site lol
To be fair, DOOM wasn't really a lively franchise during the era of Smash 4.

Regardless, it's not like Doom 2016 was the first Doom game on a Nintendo platform (it's the fifth), so I honestly think his inclusion could've been argued for at the time.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, DOOM wasn't really a lively franchise during the era of Smash 4.

Regardless, it's not like Doom (2016) was the first Doom game on a Nintendo platform (it's the fifth), so I honestly think his inclusion could've been argued for at the time.

Well, the DOOM reboot came out in early 2016, which was shortly after Smash 4's DLC period ended and also the twilight years of the Wii U.

But yeah, Doom Slayer didn't really take off until Bethesda announced support for Switch at its unveiling, and when DOOM 2016 was announced for Switch back in fall 2017.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
All it takes for people to support a character being in Smash Bros. is for them to have a game released on Switch

Also a fairly well made fake leak also gets people demanding the character be added

I doubt Rayman support would be anything more than a niche if it wasn't for the well made fake leak back in the Smash 4 days

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Geno didn't pick up until recently? He's had a consistantly large following of people wanting him since before Brawl. Its just that he's one of the few long requested characters to still not be in.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Geno didn't pick up until recently? He's had a consistantly large following of people wanting him since before Brawl. Its just that he's one of the few long requested characters to still not be in.

How I've had it described to me is that Geno support was big in the Brawl days, fell off during Smash For, and only picked up for Ultimate due to his Mii costume and Sakurai's interview where he talked about how he liked Geno, wanted to include him as far back as Brawl, and that he received tons of requests.

The weird thing to me, though, is that during the alleged down period where Geno support was small and everyone had given up during Smash For, that's when Sakurai included the Mii costume. That, to me, means that Geno support was actually still fairly consistent during Smash For, because otherwise I can't think of a reason why Sakurai would bother including a costume for a character everyone had given up on.

Actually speaking of his chances to be included, I had it pointed out that there's not a lot of Mii costumes that could go along with Geno, unless we get something crazy like Mario RPG party members as costumes.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I can't think of a reason why Sakurai would bother including a costume for a character everyone had given up on.

Here's the specific quote:

"When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests. He didn't appear as a fighter, but I was able to achieve something kind of close to that as a Mii Costume."

This tells me two things specifically:

-Geno is popular among "older characters," not necessarily in general.
-The term "always" is used, which I interpret as Sakurai acknowledging the demand as early as the Brawl era.

I don't think Geno was a no show on the ballot, but I have my doubts he was especially popular. Probably enough to get the nod through the costume, like Krystal got an Assist Trophy, Shantae got the Spirit, etc.

There's also this:

"To tell the truth, it's because I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand, and I think he fits in really well with Smash. During Brawl, I thought it would be great if I could add him, but in the end it didn't become a reality."

So I think Sakurai has wanted to put Geno in Smash already since Brawl, so the costume is a reflection of that.

(Side note, why is SourceGaming's format messed up? All I get is a white background.)

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Geno's been floating around as semi-popular since the Brawl speculation days, but his demand went into overdrive after Sakurai mentioned that he had considered adding him in the past

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
While its certainly not the most accurate metric for things, looking at Smashboard's old character topics and how large they got for certain characters can give a bit of insight. Outside of the missing Ridley topics (Not a hundred percent sure what happened there) Geno's has what appears to be the highest in Brawl's for characters who didn't make it in, then had a moderate amount for Smash 4 (I believe K. Rool has the highest it looks like, with Ridley's having been removed) and currently seems to have the most for Smash Ultimate. I have a very poor memory of the pre-Melee Smashboard days, and I don't even know if they are properly archived, so I don't know what to say there. I was on Nintendo and Mario sites back then though so I saw a lot of Geno stuff then, but that was probably a side effect of being in one of the few story driven Mario games of the time. Heck, maybe that's what sort of birthed it all, because while he's probably my most wanted character at this point, there's not that much too him.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the specific quote:

"When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests. He didn't appear as a fighter, but I was able to achieve something kind of close to that as a Mii Costume."

This tells me two things specifically:

-Geno is popular among "older characters," not necessarily in general.
-The term "always" is used, which I interpret as Sakurai acknowledging the demand as early as the Brawl era.

I don't think Geno was a no show on the ballot, but I have my doubts he was especially popular. Probably enough to get the nod through the costume, like Krystal got an Assist Trophy, Shantae got the Spirit, etc.

There's also this:

"To tell the truth, it's because I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand, and I think he fits in really well with Smash. During Brawl, I thought it would be great if I could add him, but in the end it didn't become a reality."

So I think Sakurai has wanted to put Geno in Smash already since Brawl, so the costume is a reflection of that.

(Side note, why is SourceGaming's format messed up? All I get is a white background.)

"Older characters" in this context would put Geno in the same age bracket as the likes of Banjo and K.Rool though, right (not saying he's as popular as those two, natch)? And it seems that those characters tend to be asked for, since on top of Banjo and K.Rool, Ridley and Simon got in due to the ballot.

But yeah, it's totally possible that the Mii Gunner in the costume is as far as Sakurai wants to go, and that between Mega Man, Samus and Mii Gunner his niche is filled.

While its certainly not the most accurate metric for things, looking at Smashboard's old character topics and how large they got for certain characters can give a bit of insight. Outside of the missing Ridley topics (Not a hundred percent sure what happened there) Geno's has what appears to be the highest in Brawl's for characters who didn't make it in, then had a moderate amount for Smash 4 (I believe K. Rool has the highest it looks like, with Ridley's having been removed) and currently seems to have the most for Smash Ultimate. I have a very poor memory of the pre-Melee Smashboard days, and I don't even know if they are properly archived, so I don't know what to say there. I was on Nintendo and Mario sites back then though so I saw a lot of Geno stuff then, but that was probably a side effect of being in one of the few story driven Mario games of the time. Heck, maybe that's what sort of birthed it all, because while he's probably my most wanted character at this point, there's not that much too him.

IIRC the Ridley thread was locked down after his reveal as a stage hazard in Pyrosphere, which caused the thread to go into a huge meltdown.

And yeah, Geno has always had that kind of diehard cult fanbase. The reason he got that cameo in Superstar Saga in the first place was Chihiro Fujioka noticing his popularity even as far back as 2003.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
At some point sourcegaming had like the entier website break and in the attempt to fix it there's now the white background and the normal background and which one you get seems entirely random. I'm guessing its either a mobile version that gets loaded instead sometimes or the formatting for the blog breaks and defaults to the white one?

Also some of their quick links broke (for example, the famitsu column) which means you have to use their search function which is a miserable experience any time I need to search for something

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Crash, like Banjo and Geno, didn't really pick up until recently. I figure the only thing really standing in his way is that they might not want two cartoon animal mascot characters on the pass.
I don't know about that, it's not that different from calling Hero and Joker two anime JRPG characters.
Crash won't get in for other reasons tbqhfam.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about that, it's not that different from calling Hero and Joker two anime JRPG characters.
Crash won't get in for other reasons tbqhfam.

I dunno. They're both lumpy with cartoonishly big hands and even share the same kind of nose.

I think they have more shared quirks between them than Joker and Hero do as "anime JRPG characters" when one is a black cloaked masked thief wielding a knife, while the other is as traditional a fantasy hero as it gets.

Nakoruru and birb for companion theory

This is from the special bonus SS64 costumes, right?

I feel bad for Samurai Shodown. Went from "buy the game new to get the Season Pass" to "here is the Season Pass for free for everyone."

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
You know what I miss about the pre-release cycle? The stupid crazy impossible lists on 4chan and other places. They weren't believable, but they were fun.

I haven't seen anything like the Robobot Kirby/NES Athlete/Steenee leak happen since launch.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, Nakoruru is such a weird character choice to me. Samurai Shodown was dead for decades before the recent revival, and Nakoruru herself has never been the most popular SNK pick in the crossovers. It feels like her recent push is extremely opportunistic instead of genuine.
I want her because she's one of the coolest characters in a fighting game and she's "justifiable" enough.

If they wanted more women, Mai's right there.
No thanks!

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
You know what I miss about the pre-release cycle? The stupid crazy impossible lists on 4chan and other places. They weren't believable, but they were fun.

I haven't seen anything like the Robobot Kirby/NES Athlete/Steenee leak happen since launch.
on the other hand there was a ton of lists with the same 8 or so characters repeated ad nauseium with a token "wtf"

you could literally track character discussion like rings on a tree stump by how characters appeared and disappeared from fake 4chan leaks

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Low poly is such a great aesthetic that I wish was embraced more. If we can romanticize ugly 8 bit games we can do the same with ugly 32 bit games!
I've been waiting for a true N64 style graphics indie game for awhile

All of them try too hard to look "low poly" which just ends up looking like modern graphics set to a lower graphics setting

I want blurry ground textures and 2D sprite trees!

Status
Not open for further replies.