Status
Not open for further replies.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Not gonna lie, Nakoruru is such a weird character choice to me. Samurai Shodown was dead for decades before the recent revival, and Nakoruru herself has never been the most popular SNK pick in the crossovers. It feels like her recent push is extremely opportunistic instead of genuine.

Huh? I mean, she appears as the sole SS rep in the first CvS for starters. Also:

Wikipedia said:
As an iconic[87] Samurai Shodown and SNK character, Nakoruru has been well received worldwide,[71] becoming especially popular in Japan.[88][89][90][91] According to The King of Fighters XIV producer Yasuyuki Oda, this surprised even the company as no one at SNK had "expected that Nakoruru would become a popular character to that extent."[92] Her great popularity has made many in Japan interested in the modern Ainu people.[93]

Japanese arcade gaming magazine Gamest named her as the best character of 1993,[94] later also placing her sixth in 1995 and 1996, 13th in 1997, and tenth in 1998.[95][96][97][98] Japanese Sega Saturn Magazine ranked her as the eight best female character on the Sega Saturn in 1997, with her sister Rimururu placing 31st.[99] Japanese magazine Neo Geo Freak ranked her as the fifth best character on the Neo Geo in 1998, where Rimururu was eight;[100] Nakoruru and Rimururu have been also voted as respectively first and third most popular female characters by the male readers of Neo Geo Freak in 1997.[101]Retrospectively, Japanese magazine Famitsu declared Nakoruru as overally the 37th top video game heroine of the 1990s, with her being one of the only three non-Capcom fighting game characters on this list.[102] Nakoruru was added to 2016's KOF XIVdue to her enduring popularity.[103] In a 2018 Famitsu poll for the most popular Neo Geo character, Nakoruru was voted third in general and first among the female ones (noted as ahead of the likes of Mai Shiranui or Athena Asamiya).[104]
I feel like part of it is just people wanting an SNK character but thinking they can't get Terry because he was in FEXL.

Which is dumb but whatever.
I mean, I wouldn't say it's ironclad, but it seems like a trend

EXL=Terry
Arcana Heart=Iori
DOA= Mai (and now Kula)
Tekken=Geese

It just seems natural they'd go with someone new for Smash.

I want her because she's one of the coolest characters in a fighting game and she's "justifiable" enough.

No thanks!

Preach!

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think my favorite fake 4chan leak was this one that had like, all these random M-rated third party series on it like Doom, Ninja Gaiden, can't remember what else. Basically no other Nintendo characters. It was post-E3, and basically posited that the rest of the roster would be those characters...

...and Simon Belmont and King K. Rool. Even on such a crazy-ass leak, those two were still the poster boys for "please believe my fake leak guys." It also said that K. Rool was "slow as shit" and his Final Smash was summoning KAOS. Wish I saved it.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Metroid spirits, does anyone have a good idea why they only put in 2 of the hunters from Hunters? And if so, why those 2?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
You know, the idea of giving Kirby his Copy Ability hats is cool on paper, but it probably wouldn't work well with neutral-B.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
You know, the idea of giving Kirby his Copy Ability hats is cool on paper, but it probably wouldn't work well with neutral-B.

I assume those copy hats would only be temporary while his neutral-b would be present during general movement. That or it'd only appear when he's doing neutral-b.

That said, I think it'd look bad. Visually, I don't think it'd transition as well as G&W's animations.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for a true N64 style graphics indie game for awhile

All of them try too hard to look "low poly" which just ends up looking like modern graphics set to a lower graphics setting

I want blurry ground textures and 2D sprite trees!

I want more low polys crowds or blurry cardboards crowds. They were fun to looks at.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Nakoruru has a lot going for her that would make her both a fun Smash character and a viable pick for the roster.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I have not seen the end of it

so dont know the implication

but I hope blood stain sticks with the same characters for a while and doesn't jum0 around into the timeline

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm sure memoryman is happy that Mario Land is being acknowledged in another main series Mario game.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
If you're gonna use community threads you want to count unique posters rather than posts.

I mean, I could have single handedly made the Haruka appreciation thread the biggest on Smash Boards…

…though obviously I'd never want to join Smash Boards.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still find it pretty funny to think of how character requests have changed since Smash 4. Doomguy was one of my for fun predictions for a 3rd party fighter, and now he's in speculation for a new western pick.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that at one point we thought there would only be one rep per third party and never see Fighting Game characters in Smash.

While Cloud cemented how crazy Guest characters can be, Ryu would've also started some shit if it weren't for him being leaked.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I still find it pretty funny to think of how character requests have changed since Smash 4. Doomguy was one of my for fun predictions for a 3rd party fighter, and now he's in speculation for a new western pick.

Ridley speculation was so controversial people would be at each other's necks for it. The huge megathread for Ridley on SmashBoards constantly devolved into flame wars and whatnot. Now he's in and... nobody really cares that he's too big?

I know it's Waluigi but this comic sums it up pretty well:

We9xI6.jpg

Some characters just thrive on speculation and controversy. This will for sure be Waluigi's fate going forward. People will argue with each other incessantly over him. Then if he gets in everyone will forget about the arguments in a couple of months.

It's just hard to imagine what the speculation scene will look like in the future. So many of the Never Evers are in and it feels both wide open and narrow at the same time.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So they're seemingly already pledging their bets on Astral Chain being a full blown series

Now I kinda wonder if that potentially resulted in Nintendo picking the ACs characters as one of the Fighters Pass characters.

(Imagine Astral Chain getting a rep before ARMS lololol)
I've entertained since day one that Astral Chain has a decent shot at being represented. We're lacking Nintendo IPs in the fighters pass, and with ARMS / Xenoblade 2 out for the count, Astral Chain is a prime candidate, especially if Nintendo capitalize on the once brought-up notion of using a character to boost the profile of one of their franchises.

They also seem to provide a wholly unique gimmick; people joke about Joker's mechanics being Jojo-esque but Astral Chain is basically that concept taken to the full. Also, it'd be good news for those vying for a female rep, they've been using the female version of the protag the most for marketing, so this might be an Inkling case where the female version is the default.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Still think it's too soon for an Astral Chain rep (though i'd love to be proven wrong here). Nice to know that the franchise will probably have a future though, which just makes it's inevitable Smash slot even more likely.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love an Astral Chain rep.

Cool that they have plans for the IP. I hope it pays off.

Anyway let's wait for Neoxon to show up and tell us about how that's unlikely.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

To be fair actual roster speculation and DLC speculation is completely night and day.

Nobody would buy a Hanafuda Deck dlc, but it has chance of being a wtf roster pick for the next game

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair actual roster speculation and DLC speculation is completely night and day.

Nobody would buy a Hanafuda Deck dlc, but it has chance of being a wtf roster pick for the next game

Wouldn't a Hanafuda Deck character basically be equivalent to Spongebob or Goku due to, you know, not being from a video game?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Wouldn't a Hanafuda Deck character basically be equivalent to Spongebob or Goku due to, you know, not being from a video game?

Not exactly because spongebob and goku are not the reason Nintendo is what it is today.
And in 1889 it was the closest they had of a videogame xD

edit: and lots of nintendo games references hanafuda cards, like mario maker 2 which is released this week ;D

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
R.O.B. isn't from a video game. Going from a Nintendo video game accessory to a Nintendo non-video game product wouldn't be the biggest jump.

Not that I think a Hanafuda Deck will actually happen either.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
R.O.B. isn't from a video game. Going from a Nintendo video game accessory to a Nintendo non-video game product wouldn't be the biggest jump.

Not that I think a Hanafuda Deck will actually happen either.

Deep down I don't think it will happen either, but it was a good example of a character that only have a minimum chance on a new game and ZERO CHANCES on dlc

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I haven't been around the thread for a while. Any new "leaks" or developments? Any clues on when Hero will drop? I wanna go online as Erdrick and Kamikazee some fools already

Status
Not open for further replies.