• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
There aren't really any left. Ryu, Doomslayer, Edelgard, Sylux, and a Dark Souls character have been thrown around but nothing serious.

People are mostly focusing on Capcom and Namco franchises.
There aren't really any rumored fighters now. If the Mii Costume Theory holds up, we can probably expect Capcom & Bandai Namco reps (maybe Tekken for Bamco). Otherwise, we're mostly in the dark.
Thanks!

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
Oh I don't disagree, I don't think Sans is likely at all. Partially because he, indeed, is not the main character.
But I also think that you're underestimating just how big Undertale is, and how popular it is in Japan - especially for an indie title. It and Shovel Knight are in essence the only indie games that have any serious shot at ever getting added to Smash (at least, as it currently stands).

Sans being one of the two really big and popular indoe series with nintendo histories across both the U.S. and Japan is why i'm so confident in him.

Smash represents almost every single part of Nintendo triple A gaming really well, but barley represents indie games at all. Inide games where huge for nintendo with the Wii U and switch (especially at launch) and Nintendo has done LOADS of indie outreach programs (between the nindie directs and even nintendo indie game humble bundles). Imagine having your original character coming to smash bros? its the indie dream come true.

While mose indie characters would accomplish this, Sans is the most likely IMO because of the Cloud effect, even if it doesnt make the most sense consistency wise, he is the one with the popularity. its also noticable just how much Miiverse fanart was of Undertale, which nintendo surley noticed.

I'm not saying hes a guarentee or anything, but saying stuff like "not the main character from an indie game lol" just seems wild to me after Cloud and Bayonetta

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
I think it has a better chance of getting in that other, much better selling, franchises because of how character driven it is and how fan requested Nick is. But like... even if you got a Capcom character Resi and Dante would probably make more people happy and would sell more.
;_;

I feel like Nick would make people more happy but maybe that's because I'm mostly in Nintendo environments

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
When will Ace Attorney be dominating the discussion ;_;

You think you have it bad, my first personal choice would be professor Layton and that's not got a chance of happening, despite effectively being a Nintendo exclusive series (the mobile titles didn't seem to do well) that really encapsulated the DS generation, and being one of the most successful series to originate there.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
hi_e319_twtr_chiefonboard-510e4975ef9347bc91656918dbed71d8.gif
Literally my dream. Opens with the piano note from the Halo 3 Reveal trailer.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Crash has to happen, and he has to debut like this.

eYqigvu.jpg

I love this picture so much, but it can't stop here. Throughout the trailer, he's doing each step of his dance in separate clips in between gameplay, and each clip adds more characters beside him imitating it.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Resident Evil is going to be the new Dragon Quest of speculation where we talk about the franchise forever until it eventually happens. It's now the biggest Japanese IP not in Smash.

Tekken, Devil May Cry, and Kingdom Hearts all feel like worthy picks too.

For the west, I feel like the biggest picks are Halo, Crash Bandicoot, and DOOM.

I think "the west" has gotten plenty of reps this cycle, I would be surprised to see another one come to Ultimate. DMC, RE, or Tekken all seem much more likely

You have my sword, my axe, and my skell.

1469796758330.gif

Thank you soldier

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
And also because he's more commonly portrayed as a mage instead of a magic knight in artwork.
I don't think he's portrayed as a mage, he's a traveler. The cane isn't supposed to be a magic staff.
He also doesn't have the stats of a mage, nor does he have the spells to be a real mage, it's mostly support spells or spells that are used outside of battle. Fun fact: he learns less spells than DQIV Hero for example.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but I'm still firmly rooting for Heihachi and Jill.

"Clash of Thunder"
Incineroar makes quick work of Villager, Bowser Jr., and King K. Rool, and then Pikachu (preferably Libre) jumps into the ring. After the two fight for a bit, Pikachu emerges victorious, and as it celebrates, someone else drops down into the ring. The camera pans up to reveal Heihachi as he begins charging electricity. Pikachu stores up electricity and the two rush at each other.

"Survival Horror"
Luigi frantically runs out of Dracula's Castle and through a forest before coming upon a mansion in a clearing. He cautiously enters the mansion and a zombie appears, and he fires a plunger at it just like he did to the mummy. The plunger is ineffective, but the zombie is suddenly blasted away with an explosive, and the camera pans around to reveal Jill standing behind Luigi with a grenade launcher.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand the want for Halo in Smash, it's such a bland series. Now Crash, Crash would be good.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For Microsoft characters I'd personally rather get Joanna Dark now that we got Banjo, but I do feel like Master Chief has a better chance due to the demand and hype it would create.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Crash has to happen, and he has to debut like this.

eYqigvu.jpg

I love this picture so much, but it can't stop here. Throughout the trailer, he's doing each step of his dance in separate clips in between gameplay, and each clip adds more characters beside him imitating it.
Yeah, can we not have ahegao in this thread please.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
It's an Oaken Staff. It's classified as a wand in IX and X.

Plus, his personal ultimate weapon in V is the Dragon Staff.
The staves that the hero of V use are different from the magic wands used by mages in the franchise though. They are high attack power bludgeoning weapons. There are magic wands in DQV, and the protagonist can't equip them. The protagonist's staves are closer to the martial arts staves that appear in DQIX.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I used to think characters like Banjo would look goofy in smash, but compared to Crash, they look like the "fancy-Winnie-the-Pooh" meme

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Crash is honestly more likely than people think. He's worldwidely known and is considered a Sony icon (that's not associated with Sony, ironically enough).

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Sorry, but I'm still firmly rooting for Heihachi and Jill.

I will say this over and over until Tekken eventually gets a character, Heihachi and Jin are the two most boring characters in the franchise

I still don't understand the want for Halo in Smash, it's such a bland series. Now Crash, Crash would be good.

A lot is subjective when it comes to taste, and I've heard a lot of criticism of Halo over the years, but calling it "bland" is a new one.

Also, Spyro >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Crash.

Deleted member 6223

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Despite what I've said, I'm absolutely gonna use Hero since on their own they look really fun and crazy. May as well.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
The staves that the hero of V use are different from the magic wands used by mages in the franchise though. They are high attack power bludgeon ing weapons. There are magic wands in DQV, and the protagonist can't equip them. The protagonist's staves are closer to the martial arts staves that appear in DQIX.

Which is all irrelevant anyway because the point is that he's not that associated with swords.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Whatever the Halo stage is, it needs to have a Halo ring in the background.
Wether in a space station looking at it or in the ring and seeing it rise in the horizon.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Would pepole be upset if we got a Namco rep but it was Agumon that could Digivolve instead of a Tekken Rep

I would be the opposite of upset. I would be ecstatic. Agumon (well Wargreymon, but I know that's unlikely) is my number one most wanted Bandai Namco rep. It would be incredible to have Digimon and Pokemon exist in the same game.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm imagining the opening level of Happy CE after you've crashed on the ring. Now I'm trying to think of other settings that would represent the series well.

What about a travelling stage where you use Pelicans to go through the Silent Cartographer? Then, you get the sense of a large scale Halo battle happening around you

Or maybe the Scarab battles from 3?

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
What about a travelling stage where you use Pelicans to go through the Silent Cartographer? Then, you get the sense of a large scale Halo battle happening around you

Or maybe the Scarab battles from 3?

I think a Cairo Station stage similar to the one we got DOA4 would be the coolest. Seeing UNSC and Covenant ships fly around outside the hangar doors would be amazing.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I want Crash, I feel like he'd have to be the last one and somehow have the fact that he used to be Sony's mascot emphasized in his reveal for maximum impact to happen though. From a "Smash is about gaming history in crossover form" perspective, Crash makes a LOT of sense, considering he took over Sonic's role as Mario's competitor back in the day.

Of course I can see complaints about too many JRPG and Platformer mascots if he happened...

But damnit I want another 3D platformer rep (I have no shame).

Status
Not open for further replies.