• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which month do you predict the next Nintendo Direct to happen? (Direct as The General Direct)

• August

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • September

Votes: 219 76.8%
  • October

Votes: 51 17.9%
  • November

Votes: 11 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
The Brawl roster seems so tiny now.

hqdefault.jpg

Like what is this? A roster for ants?
man I remember looking at this and thinking "how are they gonna top this?!"

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I like how each column has a clear theme

Mainline Mario series
Extended Mario universe/spinoffs
Zelda series
Various NES era series
Small sized cosmic characters
Sci-Fi vehicular based series
Pokemon
RPG series
Third Parties + Mr. Game & Watch because why not

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I like how each column has a clear theme

Mainline Mario series
Extended Mario universe/spinoffs
Zelda series
Various NES era series
Small sized cosmic characters
Sci-Fi vehicular based series
Pokemon
RPG series
Third Parties + Mr. Game & Watch because why not

Star Fox and F-Zero both debuted on the SNES as well.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why the series is so bad with character selection UI.

9DTo8PS.png

This monster looks unfinished and disheveled. Could they not think of anything better for the clones' icons except putting them misaligned next to their base characters? Their order is quite awkward too.

Nearly 20 years later and we have a bare flat grid that doesn't even try to look organized. No attempt at any symmetry or any sort of stylistic arrangement and shapes. It's like they just threw in a template and didn't bother to change anything from the default settings.

The stage selection is bad too. It will look unfinished until the Pass is fully out there and the icons are way too small.

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Toon Sheik isn't really more of an original character than Twilight Princess Sheik and Breath of the Wild Sheik are.
But like; despite the design difference, the character is still 'Sheik' (and they are at least based on scrapped concept art/in-game clothes). Toon Sheik would just be an OC created out of thin air.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I just realised that I'm going to have to buy a NSO sub solely to complete the online portion of the challenges when that's all that's left to 100% the game.

Ya got me Nintendo.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Literally nothing Sakurai said indicated they're behind schedule. There's no reason to expect a delay

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Saying the characters would be delayed was the thing when it was early July and we still had no sign of Hero, but it really looks like things are progressing smoothly.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's possible Hero could have been released earlier in July but Nintendo didn't want overlap with Marvel and Fire Emblem.

Just... don't expect the last fighter before mid-late February, lol.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
So DLC wise.

Joker has the cooler stage and songs
Hero as a fighter is more fun to play as.

and i haven't done any of the spirit battles.

I think Banjo might be a character I like to play as more. He seems more of a standard fighter. No arsene or MP spells. Well I hope hes more standard.

Different scenario. Smash 4 had no set schedule and was basically wild west. The fact that this is a set pass and set schedule limits things.
its really not that different.

And Cloud, Corrin and Bayo in a way were scheduled.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
"I'd like to apologize to everyone... the final newcomer for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will not be released before the end of February 2020...

because we've begun working on more fighters beyond Challenger Pack 5!"

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why the series is so bad with character selection UI.

9DTo8PS.png

This monster looks unfinished and disheveled. Could they not think of anything better for the clones' icons except putting them misaligned next to their base characters? Their order is quite awkward too.

Nearly 20 years later and we have a bare flat grid that doesn't even try to look organized. No attempt at any symmetry or any sort of stylistic arrangement and shapes. It's like they just threw in a template and didn't bother to change anything from the default settings.

The stage selection is bad too. It will look unfinished until the Pass is fully out there and the icons are way too small.

I love the Melee CSS :(
Especially how you can tilt the menus with the stick (which can also be used to nod on netplay) and the darker menu colours are like night mode compared to Brawl/4.

The series progression with menu style has been very strange.
64 had this kinda funky almost grafiti like quality
Melee was a flashy but pretty well organized menu system
Brawl is where it started to look like a completely different style altogether but the CSS was one of the better ones
4.... I don't even know what happened here
Ultimate is better but still really weirdly composed shapes and layout

Last edited:

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't think "Toon Sheik" was going to be Tetra, but literally a toon version of Sheik. Considering Sheik's Brawl model was an unused design for Twilight Princess, I'm sure they could've gotten the teams working on the Wind Waker branch of the series to make a variant for Sheik.

That said, I'd kill for Tetra as a semi-clone or even Echo of Toon Link at this point. Sadly it seems Nintendo is starting to back away from the Toon style.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I still think Toon Sheik is super dumb, regardless of what the original intent was.

Since creating a semi-unique moveset for Tetra was probably too much to ask for at that point in development; giving Toon Zelda a different Down-B and creating a stronger version of Zelda that isn't reliant on transforming into Sheik would've been neat.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Tetra in smash with her HW Gun

But super realistic so it shatters the already flimsy "no realistic guns" rule ;)

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Very interesting... though very rough and/or early, it seems. I can't see that older Link interacting with most of the WW humanesque cast unless the whole style would change to match.
Yeah, it's pretty hard to imagine. There's more concept art of "Toon Adult Link", but I still can't imagine this guy returning to early-game locations like Outset or Windfall (though I guess the growth and difference was what they were going, so maybe it would've worked?)
YwiE3JZ.jpg
6855359487_8295e7a2fe_o.jpg

Last edited:

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have a special pair with same name but extremely different mechanics? Because a Down-B Counter which would count down to something sounds like my type of screwy.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
But like; despite the design difference, the character is still 'Sheik' (and they are at least based on scrapped concept art/in-game clothes). Toon Sheik would just be an OC created out of thin air.

Hyrule Historia claims that the TP Sheik concept art was drawn specifically for Brawl. It was never intended to be used in Zelda itself.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hyrule Historia claims that the TP Sheik concept art was drawn specifically for Brawl. It was never intended to be used in Zelda itself.

Wait, you mean Toon Sheik wasn't a codename for Tetra and we almost got a fucking "original character do not steal" for a Brawl?

Nqtz70G.gif

Edit: Why did I misread "TP" as "Toon"? LOL nevermind

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, Brawl's development seems like a disaster

64 seems like the hardest part was just convincing Nintendo that it was a viable idea. Other than that, I get the impression it was more of a hobby project.
Brawl's development was difficult but the biggest issue with the game was iirc the amount of outsourcing that had to be done. That's the main reason Subspace Emissary became such a shitshow, like most games on the Wii they were unable to render cutscenes in-engine and had to resort farming out pre-rendered CG cutscenes, and due to how plot driven the game was, that did a huge number on development time.

That said, they were still able to delay Brawl. They didn't have that luxury with Melee. Brawl might've been bad but Melee was straight up destructive.

Status
Not open for further replies.