• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where do you think Challenger #5 would be revealed at?

• During Terry's Promo Video

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • During the Game Award

Votes: 194 57.7%
  • During the next Nintendo Direct

Votes: 44 13.1%
  • During a special stand-alone live stream

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it might have happened recently so who knows? Also is Nier team at different studio?
Yoko Taro is freelance, kind of like Yuji Horii. Saito also produced DQXI, and Yuu Miyake, Dragon Quest's executive producer, also executive produced Nier: Automata, so I would think the same Square-Enix division responsible for handling Dragon Quest is responsible for Nier as well.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Yoko Taro is freelance, kind of like Yuji Horii. Saito also produced DQXI, and Yuu Miyake, Dragon Quest's executive producer, also executive produced Nier: Automata, so I would think the same Square-Enix division responsible for handling Dragon Quest is responsible for Nier as well.
Correct, same business division.

I really don't think there's anything to read in the Taro tweet though, Sakurai is friend with a lot of people in the industry and apparently always like to meet people. He might have wanted to talk to Taro with a while.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why are there so many people in this thread who stan Claire over Jill? What am I missing?

I think TVTropes puts it best.

Of the four main protagonists, Claire is the only one who's really capable of effective, non-groanworthy humor.

Claire, on the Tyrant in Code Veronica: "Just a big cockroach that needed to be stepped on."

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
If something does eventually transpire, I'd think Tansut would also hear something about it.
I actually asked the other day if there was anything new to discuss. I got the impression there aren't much Smash-related going-ons at SE. That doesn't mean that's necessarily the case, though, just that my source isn't involved or aware of anything.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Wait who is Jon-

Oh Fortnite.

... Meh, I wouldn't be mad.

I love all characters that get into Smash so I can't.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think literally the only person who would be happy about Scribblenauts in Smash would be ESAM

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, I don't think I've seen a single Smash leak know the details of every single character right down to their release date, and some random Facebook dude mentioning plant the day before the Direct is pretty far down the totem pole as far as "totally believe me I'm legit" stories go soooo to the bullshit pile it goes

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
So

um

This is what Sabi's talking about?

1571082578552.png

1571083653291.png
Who even cares about Scribblenauts anymore

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Cheese and Horror go hand in hand. It's always been part of Resident Evil's DNA.

shoutout to my boy Barry

Not disagreeing, but I think the protags of RE 2 are an improvement over the RE 1 protags. Leon and Claire are more like regular people (at least in RE 2). RE 2 was supposed to be Leon's first day on the job, and found himself in over his head. And Claire was a civilian who just happened to be the brother of RE 1's Chris, and found herself involved in a situation she was not prepared for.

Correct, same business division.

I really don't think there's anything to read in the Taro tweet though, Sakurai is friend with a lot of people in the industry and apparently always like to meet people. He might have wanted to talk to Taro with a while.

Honestly, I don't think Saito would tweet about having dinner with Sakurai, tag him, and then state an intention to have Sakurai meet Yoko Taro unless he is trying to entertain having Sakurai put a Smash Bros. representative. After all, Saito was pretty bummed when Nier didn't get a Fighter Pass spot back in December.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Honestly, I don't think Saito would tweet about having dinner with Sakurai, tag him, and then state an intention to have Sakurai meet Yoko Taro unless he is trying to entertain a Smash Bros. representative. After all, Saito was pretty bummed when Nier didn't get a Fighter Pass spot back in December.
Honestly, I think people are reading way too much into tweets.
Saito meeting idols and caring too much about vtubers doesn't mean he'll work on an idol game either.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Jonesy here advetising Fortnite BR Chapter 2 obviously

And potential Save The World mode coming to Switch.

I want Fortnite on Smash just to watch the meltdowns.

Well, that would be a positive net but they also would have good moveset.

I want Sakurai go wild and give a new dance animation for ALL characters when Jonesy or another defaults throwing a boogie bomb as an taunt.

9rY3Ucu.gif

Basically you could only run and jump.

Thanks for that!

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And potential Save The World mode coming to Switch.

Well, that would be a positive net but they also would have good moveset.

I want Sakurai go wild and give a new dance animation for ALL characters when Jonesy or another defaults throwing a boogie bomb as an taunt.

9rY3Ucu.gif

Basically you could only run and jump.

Thanks for that!
Do you actually want Fortnite in or do you just want to piss people off.

Just wondering seeing as you felt the need to tell me I was being a jerk the other day and I'm just wondering where this line in terms of behavior is.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Not disagreeing, but I think the protags of RE 2 are an improvement over the RE 1 protags. Leon and Claire are more like regular people (at least in RE 2). RE 2 was supposed to be Leon's first day on the job, and found himself in over his head. And Claire was a civilian who just happened to be the brother of RE 1's Chris, and found herself involved in a situation she was not prepared for.

Eh I wouldn't call it an improvement, more a matter of preference of whether you prefer the more straight-edged or the more exaggerated. (like Jill and her signature M202A1 Rocket Launcher)

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Saito is also the producer of Gems Company, Square-Enix's virtual idol group, hence why the various tweets.
Ah fair enough, I didn't know that. Still, his tweet doesn't mean much in the end.
Saito is also producer of Dragon Quest games and likely worked with Sakurai on the Hero inclusion (hell, they were on stream together), and Sakurai likes to meet people. You can see it in his pictures with composers and other industry icons, in his interviews and Famitsu columns, etc. I'm sure he'd like to meet Taro, whatever the reason.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If meeting with producers over lunch means we're getting a character in Smash then god damn Travis has basically been a hard lock for months if not longer

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Do you actually want Fortnite in or do you just want to piss people off.

Just wondering seeing as you felt the need to tell me I was being a jerk the other day and I'm just wondering where this line in terms of behavior is.

I think I'm getting a vibe from your post that you really dislike Fortnite discussion. So are you trying to shut down any Fortnite discussion because you just don't like the game or Fortnite in general or so?

Relax your claws and take a chill pill if people want to talk about Fortnite representatives here then they should allows to. It's crazy how offended you are at any fortnite suggestion Also I would recommend you to follow your own suggestion when something that you dislike popped up in the discussion.

You could just.....not respond and move on like most people tend to typically do.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Suda 51 has been friends with Kojima and Sakurai since at least Brawl.
Oh you can find pictures of Sakurai and Suda together from the Brawl era. He didn't just materialize into the special thanks credits for Brawl out of thin air, hence the "longer".

The "months" being that they did hang out back when Suda held a Grasshopper event following TSA's release earlier this year.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Oh you can find pictures of Sakurai and Suda together from the Brawl era. He didn't just materialize into the special thanks credits for Brawl out of thin air, hence the "longer".

The "months" being that they did hang out back when Suda held a Grasshopper event following TSA's release earlier this year.

I guess Sakurai is going to be that someone that everyone want to be friends with. It seems to be a general impression that Sakurai is pretty chill person that people probably like to spend time with regardless for trying to get their characters in or not.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Random thought that came to my mind: No More Heroes 1 was an amazing deconstruction about the ways in which toxic masculinity affects games and otaku to the point that it alienates them from every relationship in their lives. That I never felt the need to play any of the sequels shows how much a complete oeuvre that is.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Random thought that came to my mind: No More Heroes 1 was an amazing deconstruction about the ways in which toxic masculinity affects games and otaku to the point that it alienates them from every relationship in their lives. That I never felt the need to play any of the sequels shows how much a complete oeuvre that is.

I'm still waiting for them to port NMH1 and NMH2 over to Switch so I can finally give it a try. I was mildly disappointed that I didn't even get around to play those two games on Wii when I had a chance to.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Sakurai is going to be that someone that everyone want to be friends with. It seems to be a general impression that Sakurai is pretty chill person that people probably like to spend time with regardless for trying to get their characters in or not.
I don't really think people seek out Sakurai's friendship, I'd like to think it happens pretty organically. When you're in the creative field, talent recognizes talent pretty easily.

No More Heroes 2 was definitely a weaker game in terms of narrative, and you can tell because Suda wasn't as involved with it. He's even pointed out that he thought the story ended up really disjointed because it was spread in a few different directions, in the end it boils down to a fairly straightforward revenge story (albeit one rooted in a pretty ironic premise), though it also tries advancing Travis' character arc in a lot of ways that didn't make a whole lot of sense at the time.

Travis Strikes Again though, has a fucking fantastic narrative and in that sense is the game I wanted Suda to make for years. You can tell his influence is all over that game, and it's why I'm way more excited about No More Heroes 3 than I would've been ten years ago given that Travis feels like a much more potent character now. Recommend giving this video a watch if you never plan on playing it.

(Or if you're an insane person like me; this 2 hour analysis is the stuff of legends.)

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm getting a vibe from your post that you really dislike Fortnite discussion. So are you trying to shut down any Fortnite discussion because you just don't like the game or Fortnite in general or so?

Relax your claws and take a chill pill if people want to talk about Fortnite representatives here then they should allows to. It's crazy how offended you are at any fortnite suggestion Also I would recommend you to follow your own suggestion when something that you dislike popped up in the discussion.
I'm like 90% sure I actually don't talk about Fortnite much and usually just ignore it. I also don't believe I have ever once tried to "shut down discussion" so no idea where you got that one from. I'm not trying to stop people from talking about Fortnite, I just questioned if you actually wanted it in the game or if you were just trying to get a rise out of people. Whenever you bring it up the context is always seeming to be some attempt to irritate people, so why do you get to act like that but me expressing the desire to not see another Capcom character is "being a jerk."

Some consistency is all I'm asking for here.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Any leak saying a Fortnite character will be on the Smash roster is a liar and just wants to get people riled up.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think people seek out Sakurai's friendship, I'd like to think it happens pretty organically. When you're in the creative field, talent recognizes talent pretty easily.

No More Heroes 2 was definitely a weaker game in terms of narrative, and you can tell because Suda wasn't as involved with it. He's even pointed out that he thought the story ended up really disjointed because it was spread in a few different directions, in the end it boils down to a fairly straightforward revenge story (albeit one rooted in a pretty ironic premise), though it also tries advancing Travis' character arc in a lot of ways that didn't make a whole lot of sense at the time.

Travis Strikes Again though, has a fucking fantastic narrative and in that sense is the game I wanted Suda to make for years. You can tell his influence is all over that game, and it's why I'm way more excited about No More Heroes 3 than I would've been ten years ago given that Travis feels like a much more potent character now. Recommend giving this video a watch if you never plan on playing it.

(Or if you're an insane person like me; this 2 hour analysis is the stuff of legends.)

My point is that getting sequel after sequel of NMH feels completely unnecessary. Travis as a character is already explored in a very thorough way in the manner that he handles sex and violence in the first game, and any further inspection of him as an individual is a bit like retreading old ground.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to him in Smash , even if I believe his moveset would be very derivative.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My point is that getting sequel after sequel of NMH feels completely unnecessary. Travis as a character is already explored in a very thorough way in the manner that he handles sex and violence in the first game, and any further inspection of him as an individual is a bit like retreading old ground.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to him in Smash , even if I believe his moveset would be very derivative.
Can't say I get this frankly. I liked seeing Travis develop into the decent(well more decent) but also still kinda crazy and slightly pathetic guy between NMH1-TSA.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I'm like 90% sure I actually don't talk about Fortnite much and usually just ignore it. I also don't believe I have ever once tried to "shut down discussion" so no idea where you got that one from. I'm not trying to stop people from talking about Fortnite, I just questioned if you actually wanted it in the game or if you were just trying to get a rise out of people. Whenever you bring it up the context is always seeming to be some attempt to irritate people, so why do you get to act like that but me expressing the desire to not see another Capcom character is "being a jerk."

Some consistency is all I'm asking for here.

It just seems that you are trying too hard to make this "GOTACHA" when it's not even related with what we were talking about.

The situation with you yesterday is pretty much this: If people want to talk about Capcom characters so let it to be if they wanted them. It just seems immature to me when you posted, "Still hoping we're done with Capcom characters" (paraphrased, mind you) middle of Capcom Discussion because it just seems that you're tired of the discussion. That's why I called you out on that. Like you said, just ignore the post; then I think you should practice what you preach with that.

However, I feel like I'm a target to you like in this meme.

EQ6cQyw.png

I think I really upset you so much that you actually think that my discussion about fortnite is just trying to get under people's skins.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Guys my source says Goku will be revealed at the Game Awards then in the March Direct Sakurai will achieve godhood.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, done with Astral Chain.

Dunno how you'd make a moveset with five Stands, but what the hey. That got a lot more enjoyable, and a lot more dumb, as the game went on.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018

Welp, Sabi confirmed this is in fact the one they were talking about. Notably she said that she's not 100% confident in it, but there's something about it that makes her believe in it's legitimacy.

God looking at the post-pass list honestly I'd wish we had stopped after the fighter's pass if this is true. I cannot fathom Sakurai picking Claire and Maxwell specifically, they're the biggest red flags easily.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be honestly excited for a Fortnite character if they had this outfit:

tumblr_pri9mcfQLK1xinfpio1_250.gifv

It's so... creepy cute. And imagine the Donkey Kong screenshots.

Status
Not open for further replies.