Where do you think Challenger #5 would be revealed at?

• During Terry's Promo Video

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • During the Game Award

Votes: 194 57.7%
  • During the next Nintendo Direct

Votes: 44 13.1%
  • During a special stand-alone live stream

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Welp, Sabi confirmed this is in fact the one they were talking about. Notably she said that she's not 100% confident in it, but there's something about it that makes her believe in it's legitimacy.

God looking at the post-pass list honestly I'd wish we had stopped after the fighter's pass if this is true. I cannot fathom Sakurai picking Claire and Maxwell specifically, they're the biggest red flags easily.

It's literally a bullshit leak designed to piss off as many people as possible. There is no way this random person has this info.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My point is that getting sequel after sequel of NMH feels completely unnecessary. Travis as a character is already explored in a very thorough way in the manner that he handles sex and violence in the first game, and any further inspection of him as an individual is a bit like retreading old ground.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to him in Smash , even if I believe his moveset would be very derivative.
I mean, like I said, NMH2 didn't convince me there was more to go with the character, but TSA proved me wrong.

Being a deconstruction of toxicity is absolutely one of NMH1's biggest strengths, but with that element of the character having been shed, the thing TSA did such a good job exploring was pathos and legacy through his character and his relationship to the escapism. It posed the tough question of what it is that drives creators and the connection we have to their work. When Suda pointed out that TSA was made as a tribute to video games, that in retrospect felt a bit like his traditional attempts at subterfuge given that the full product basically felt way more like it was a reflection of the experiences that got him, and most likely many other similar creators, to the point that they are. It's an extremely poignant story which Travis serves as the perfect protagonist for because of how much games dominated his life, and it had the most believable depiction of growth in the process that proved to me the character is absolutely worth keeping around.

A character doesn't end just because their first outing had a sharp point behind it. If it can prove its worth, it's far from unnecessary and I'd say said worth has absolutely been proven. If I hadn't known any better after beating the game, I would have thought that TSA could easily serve as Suda's retirement game, but it's clear he still has a lot more to give.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

Welp, Sabi confirmed this is in fact the one they were talking about. Notably she said that she's not 100% confident in it, but there's something about it that makes her believe in it's legitimacy.

God looking at the post-pass list honestly I'd wish we had stopped after the fighter's pass if this is true. I cannot fathom Sakurai picking Claire and Maxwell specifically, they're the biggest red flags easily.

Again: Lmao Sabi

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be honestly excited for a Fortnite character if they had this outfit:

tumblr_pri9mcfQLK1xinfpio1_250.gifv

It's so... creepy cute. And imagine the Donkey Kong screenshots.

It sucks that you have more than 20-30 good costume designs so it's harder to pick only 8 characters or 8 costumes. However, I think it would be great if they actually went with 8 default costumes with their best costumes so we would get good chucks of diversity.

Like this:

b9MZwCU.png

2 Asians
2 White
2 Black
2 Hispanic

Also it comes with M/F

It's pretty much checked few boxes on a huge check list for some ERA members who want more diversity.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
lol at people having info on specific gameplay mechanics for a character that is coming in Fall 2020. Not even Sakurai knows yet.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PapaGenos literally said that the 4chan post contradicts with what he heard of the person who initially gave them that same link and called this one out for being fishy. Telling you straight up, someone is getting fucking played like a fiddle and let me tell you it's not the anons browsing /v/. Sabi is a fucking buffoon for giving this rumor any air.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would definitely stick with the "black lady with short hair" Fortniter outfit. Frankly they're all pretty good designs for generic avatars.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
just imagine it

all those months of talk about how hard it is for western third party characters to get into Smash, and one of the very first ones to make the cut is the Scribblenauts Boy

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
No one knew about Joker or Terry, yet Sabi knows stuff about characters releasing in mid 2020. Lol

Unless her reason is just "Ryu Hayabusa as fighter 5", which I'm pretty sure is her only reason to believe it, which is dumb since Ryu Hayabusa was put in that rumor just because he's seen as the most likely for fighter 5. So the 4chan dude hopes that Ryu Hayabusa is the last fighter in order that people keep talking about this for months lol

Or the other reason would be that Sabi has talked with the facebook guy who "knew" about Piranha Plant, since it's apparently confirmed that it's actually him who posted that 4chan post (Sabi says so)

Aug 12, 2019
Fortnite is the one thing I will relentlessly rage against and hate with a fiery passion. I'll accept basically everything else. But fuck Fortnite. Fuck everything it stands for on its own as a game. It's an average and incredibly repetitive game that happens to be stupidly accessible and have caught on with younger kids. I've played more of it than I care to admit, and I've watched Epic do nothing but constantly fuck up their product and desperately try to "innovate" with shit loads of additions and edits that mean nothing and make it an even less consistent experience than it already is.

To go from Dragon Quest to FUCKING JONESY would be the most tragic fall in video game additions I think I could ever imagine. I know I'm hot on this, but no, this is my one fucking character and idea I have no patience for and would be absolutely livid about. Steve is fine. Something stupidly specific like Mach Rider is fine. I'd even take goddamn Call of Duty's Captain Price and be OK. But everyone gets one, and Fortnite is my one to hate.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Yeah... don't know why Sabi is believing this one. Feel like she's definitely getting bamboozled.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
It's again just a random fake 4chan leak being shared around for no particular reason. There's one every day, each as credible as this one.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks that you have more than 20-30 good costume designs so it's harder to pick only 8 characters or 8 costumes. However, I think it would be great if they actually went with 8 default costumes with their best costumes so we would get good chucks of diversity.

Like this:

b9MZwCU.png

2 Asians
2 White
2 Black
2 Hispanic

Also it comes with M/F

It's pretty much checked few boxes on a huge check list for some ERA members who want more diversity.
You've brought this up beforeand I was thinking about it when I first read this current "leak". The fact the default avatar has eight skins is almost too perfect not to use for Smash's eight alts so the leak claiming there will only be one alt is one of the reasons I'd be reluctant to believe it.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Time to make my fake leak featuring hard lock hayabusa to give it legs until the first character afterwards dunks on it.

- the first character of pass 2 after Ryu is the coupe from stunt race FX, this is why the game is part of the initial switch SNES wave
It will have the same low poly look as the SNES game and move at an eye wretching FPS

- Patches from the souls series is fighter 2, he's a trap based character with an obnoxiously durable shield for turtling play.
Down b is a begging for mercy counter that builds a merchant meter which can supply you with random items

- there's only one more character, the final addition is a long requested new Zelda rep.
Kaepora Gaebora

Would you like to read this post again?
- no
- yes

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
A brief history of fighter pass leaks:
DLC 2 is Ryu Hayabusa, trust me.
…OK, my bad. But DLC 3 is definitely Ryu Hayabusa!
…E3 wasn't really the best place so clearly DLC 4 is Ryu Hayabusa.
Fine. Ryu Hayabusa's DLC 5. The perfect ending!

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How are we going to act like Sabi doesn't have a crazy good track record? People like Zhuge thought Sabi had to have hacked some site to be as accurate as she was during E3. Then she proved it again during Gamescom and several nintendo events. No amount of revisionist history will take away the literal dozens of things sabi has predicted.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
How are we going to act like Sabi doesn't have a crazy good track record? People like Zhuge thought Sabi had to have hacked some site to be as accurate as she was during E3. Then she proved it again during Gamescom and several nintendo events. No amount of revisionist history will take away the literal dozens of things sabi has predicted.

Yeah she accurately leaked events right before they happened because she had a direct source who saw the marketing material. There's a big difference between that and Maxwell from Scribblenauts in mid 2020. Inbetween legit sources, Sabi just kind of throws out whatever sounds plausible with lots of qualifiers. In this instance, I'm blown away that someone talked enough bullshit to convince her Maxwell sounds plausible. They must have told her that Scribblenauts is having a AAA reboot launching in the next six months or something.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
The GC PR site was also hacked, it was literally just game titles, with no details at all.
The E3 leak was the same, and it was really easy to check (seriously).

There's also dozens of things Sabi predicted wrong or was so vague about that anybody could have predicted it (similar to DrCupcakes or Vergeben, that some people think have good records too).
But sure, let's say that Sabi is right by saying a bad 4chan leak is right.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I joked earlier but Claire alone proves this is fake. There's no way it'd be anyone besides Chris, Jill, or Leon.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
That post looks like a lineup specifically designed to light this thread on fire

Aug 12, 2019
I mean, yeah, it's obviously fake. The only thing that actually gives me pause is that apparently Sabi is supporting the Fortnite idea, and that's the absolute worst part of it. I could almost accept the other three (I mean Claire Redfield over the other options for RE is really kind of ass backwards, Maxwell is meh in character form, and Chosen Undead is what happens when you decide to ignore every cool and popular character option from the Souls series for the protagonist of nothingness...), but Fortnite in Smash would legitimately break me as a person. It's the only thing in the world that could do this with regards to Smash and it's the singular character option I would actually consider not buying for Smash.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
People need to remember the Sakurai Has Good Taste Rule. Fortnite will never happen because that would be awful, and Sakurai would never do that to us.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I genuinely think the only reason Sabi is giving this the time of day is Hayabusa. The leak could say the first post-Pass character is Kratos and as long as Hayabusa was the final Fighters Pass character, well, then it's a lock.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Maybe Sabi received confirmation that one of those is true (Ryu or Fortnite?) and is pointing to this obviously fake leak because of the one lucky hit

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
You've brought this up beforeand I was thinking about it when I first read this current "leak". The fact the default avatar has eight skins is almost too perfect not to use for Smash's eight alts so the leak claiming there will only be one alt is one of the reasons I'd be reluctant to believe it.

Yeah, But again Jonesy and Ramerez were most popular characters in Fortnite so I can see why someone went with just two but I just prefer the idea of 8 defaults because that's what people originally started with, and probably remember them by that way.

1nek86v.gif

EoeVNEa.gif

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely want to know the reasons why some people really despise Fortnite here. I know some people are completely out of touch with some modern games, and I don't really to become one of those people who just hate the games for no reasons and shouts at the cloud.

Feel free to share your reasons why you hate the game and at least be articulate about it. I never really sit down and discuss with anyone on subjects why people hate it because I usually avoided it because it always comes down to two: EPIC and how it's for the kids.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely want to know the reasons why some people really despise Fortnite here. I know some people are completely out of touch with some modern games, and I don't really to become one of those people who just hate the games for no reasons and shouts at the cloud.

Feel free to share your reasons why you hate the game and at least be articulate about it. I never really sit down and discuss with anyone on subjects why people hate it because I usually avoided it because it always comes down to two: EPIC and how it's for the kids.

It's new and played by those young people and it scares me.

More seriously I hate those multiplayer MTX laden Skinner Box games.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes Maxwell from the mega popular Scribblenaut series that still has games from 5th cell to come.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Hayabusa is Challenger pack 5. He comes with his original NES Alt costume. Will be reveal after Terry's release.

The first character after the fighter pass is confirmed to be Doomguy. He was actually suppose to be Pack 5 but Nintendo were told of the Doom delayed and push him back. He comes with 9 tracks, 4 are remixed. He's called Doomslayer and his stage is Hell

Geno is in Smash in some form. My sources aren't clear.

Chris is the Resident Evil Rep. he's base off his RE5 design. He moveset is "snake like". Jill is a spirit.

100% legit. Trust me.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also anytime a leak details specific dates for character reveals, especially reveals for next year, something is up.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Hayabusa is Challenger pack 5. He comes with his original NES Alt costume. Will be reveal after Terry's release.

The first character after the fighter pass is confirmed to be Doomguy. He was actually suppose to be Pack 5 but Nintendo were told of the Doom delayed and push him back. He comes with 9 tracks, 4 are remixed. He's called Doomslayer and his stage is Hell

Geno is in Smash in some form. My sources aren't clear.

Chris is the Resident Evil Rep. he's base off his RE5 design. He moveset is "snake like". Jill is a spirit.

100% legit. Trust me.

giphy.gif

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017

I'm completely neutral on Fortnite. I tried it out when it released cause a friend of mine bought the crazy stupid expensive edition that came with a couple gift copies (yes before Battle Royale mode was a thing). The gameplay just was super average to me. The shooting felt average, the building felt average, the story came off as less annoying Borderlands. It just seemed like it was designed by a committee and not a real passion project for anyone. It's not bad, it's not great. It's just kind of default. Flavorless. I'd rather spend my time on other stuff.

If Fortnite in Smash happened, I would not be mad, I would just be kind of confused, lol. Just does not seem like Sakurai's jam.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was first time I have seen those term for the game so I presume that it applied to Overwatch, PUBG, Fortnite and any games that comes with Lootboxes or micro-transaction for costumes?

Pretty much, yeah. I'm averse to multiplayer as is because my fragile ego can't take losing I enjoy beating a game and putting it down at some point, but the way games are becoming some rigged carnival trick for sucking up wallets is scary to me. I've got an addictive personality as is so I don't ever want to touch that stuff.

Just last night my 8-year old niece was arguing with my sister for more allowance so she could buy robux or whatever that shit's called, and that is profoundly weird to me.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
you could show me any random xbox avatar and tell me it's a Fortnite character and I'd believe you

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I don't understand the idea of leak bait for Smash.

Are they making people work on fake characters? Are they telling employees a list of characters are in who have no reason to know about that list? Are they only, in this example, putting Geno out there? Wouldn't that make it hard to figure out who leaked it if you only used one character?

If anything they would have a giant list of possible characters kind of like what they did with the announcer guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.