Where do you think Challenger #5 would be revealed at?

• During Terry's Promo Video

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • During the Game Award

Votes: 194 57.7%
  • During the next Nintendo Direct

Votes: 44 13.1%
  • During a special stand-alone live stream

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm not expecting Ryu or Crash. Fully expect another unexpected swing like Terry.
Honestly expecting another "Wait what" addition that's technically not asked for.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope everyone else is able to find this shit funny.

I'm just really confused and can't keep up at this point.

All I really care about is the Mii costume leak, and as far as I know nothing's come to debunk that other than the possibility that PapaGenos was lying about it.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't Heihachi still be more likely from Bamco?

The gameplay design is the main obstacle in Heihachi's path and I don't think that has changed. He'd need unique custom juggling mechanics, and even if they can implement that I'm not sure Sakurai would want a character with that focus in Smash, while Soulcalibur isn't nearly as tied to juggling.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Found the unexpected Tecmo rep that is not requested
GttIL.png

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Would Reimu be such a surprise? I mean, there are a number of people who doubt her inclusion, but she's also become a pretty notable topic of conversation for much of Smash speculation too and would be a "Oh yeah, that makes sense" to a number of people too.

Yes, because it's an insane pick and the only reason people are "taking it seriously" is because the smash fan base can get delusional with self think. It's the same reason people think the secondary female character from an obscure visual novel has a serious chance in smash in 2019, or that mach rider was a serious considering in 2018.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
So what's the situation with Crash now? Why are we doubting him if he's comin from the Mii costume leak guy?
This seems to be the situation (working back from the present; as his chart explains it):

PapaGenos received the Mii Costume list recently, alongside the info about Crash. Back in July, other insiders had already seen and received this Mii Costume list; Crash info appears to be new, however. The whole situation is pretty much a game of telephone, with PG receiving the info from one user (their identity not mattering here), who received it from a "source at IGN", who received it from their own sources.

Essentially; we don't know if the Mii Costume and Crash info came from the same source.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems to be the situation (working back from the present; as his chart explains it):

PapaGenos received the Mii Costume list recently, alongside the info about Crash. Back in July, other insiders had already seen and received this Mii Costume list; Crash info appears to be new, however. The whole situation is pretty much a game of telephone, with PG receiving the info from one person, who received it from a "source at IGN", who received it from their own sources.

We don't know if the Mii Costume and Crash info came from the same source.

That sounds fine then. Crash isn't verified but the Mii costume stuff he reported on still seems legit unless he flat out lied about it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, because it's an insane pick and the only reason people are "taking it seriously" is because the smash fan base can get delusional with self think. It's the same reason people think the secondary female character from an obscure visual novel has a serious chance in smash in 2019, or that mach rider was a serious considering in 2018.
You're bitter.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

You know, it's about time we had a third party villain as a fighter...

This was a pretty solid video! I'll have to check out the other ones in this series, I love it when people put some thought and effort into a fantasy pick.

I'm super into Nightmare - I think he'd have to be my top Bandai-Namco character. It's between him and Agumon... or maybe Ms. Pac-Man. I know he's a remote second behind Heihachi but hey, there's been stranger picks.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
lol

Aug 12, 2019

I don't really see how Reimu is an insane pick given that's she is a Japanese Indie icon in the Japanese made video game crossover that focuses on Japanese gaming in general. If anything, she's one of the Indies that makes the most sense, if not the most sense when you really think about it, and she's by far the oldest and most consistent indie character I can think of.

I've got nothing against Ayumi or Mach Rider (They're niche first party characters, so that hurts them both, but they're also cool options if Sakurai ever returns to that line of thinking), but I also think they're "considered" less than Reimu, who I think has considerably more that could result in her finally being the Indie to breakthrough into Smash. The only issues with her inclusion is that I don't think any of the Touhou games have ever technically be localized (does that matter to Sakurai? Who the hell knows, but it does speak to her more limited Western appeal... not that it has mattered too much) and I'm not sure what Sakurai thinks of ZUN and the games in general...

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm a supporter of different Nightmare, personally.

Still working on a moveset breakdown + list of other content that could be included with it.

Jan 9, 2018
yall were talkin about digimon and didn't tag me? smh

this needs to happen
Digimon-WarGreymon-Amplified-Figure-rise-Standard-Model-Kit
I was just tweeting about how much I want WarGreymon (Amplified) as a canon Digimon now lol. Right in between classic and WarGreymon X, and the figure even allows you to attach two of the Dramon Killers on one hand so it's like a dragon mullet man flying around with a three-pronged pile bunker in one hand and a regular fist to backhand you if the time calls for it. And that's without mentioning how cool the Brave Shield redesign is.

Anyways, I see I missed you guys posting some great Digimon World (mostly 3) tracks. I'm a huge fan of Masafumi Takada and Cyber Sleuth tracks so usually I'd take any chance to post some of those tracks, but here's some Digimon World remixes via Next Order:

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not expecting Ryu or Crash. Fully expect another unexpected swing like Terry.
Honestly expecting another "Wait what" addition that's technically not asked for.
Hayabusa fits what you're talking about.

The only reason he was ever brought up was because of a fake 4chan leak that stuck until E3. He was rarely asked for and would totally have been an unexpected swing for DLC.

Now it's the only one people are latching on to because of KT. It's more of a educated guess at this point from everyone and a couple of hopeful people.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
That would have been Ryu Hayabusa if it wasn't for the "leaks."
Hayabusa fits what you're talking about.

The only reason he was ever brought up was because of a fake 4chan leak that stuck until E3. He was rarely asked for and would totally have been an unexpected swing for DLC.

Now it's the only one people are latching on to because of KT. It's more of a educated guess at this point from everyone and a couple of hopeful people.

I mean he's definitely not a top pick. But even on WiiU he was always the first to be brought up for a KT pick.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I mean he's definitely not a top pick. But even on WiiU he was always the first to be brought up for a KT pick.
It's not like he had a ton of discussion on Wii U either. But if mentioned Any company for Smash, people will go straight to the mascot/biggest icon.

The Wii U is irrelevant anyways. We're talking about Ultimate DLC which went from "we're getting only Nintendo stuff" to "we are going all 3rd party guests". Hayabusa would've been written off as a "best as a base pick" or "not big enough" to end the pass.

I don't what you expect from "no one asked for". I think we've covered almost all the bases at this point. Hell, I talked about King of Fighters before the SNK Leak.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
it's very simple: the hierarchy of Third Party NES Games Kids Talked About On The Playground goes Mega Man > Castlevania > Ninja Gaiden

then you have your Contras and Metal Gears bringing up the rear, with a healthy dose of DuckTales

Aug 12, 2019
it's very simple: the hierarchy of Third Party NES Games Kids Talked About On The Playground goes Mega Man > Castlevania > Ninja Gaiden

then you have your Contras and Metal Gears bringing up the rear, with a healthy dose of DuckTales

I do think Ninja Gaiden gets downplayed too often for being technically below Mega Man and Castlevania just because it didn't manage to have as successful of a future as those titles, but goddamn is that game forever going to be one of the titles most associated with the NES. It always comes up when people talk of hard as hell, action games from the NES era.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It's not like he had a ton of discussion on Wii U either. But if mentioned Any company for Smash, people will go straight to the mascot/biggest icon.

The Wii U is irrelevant anyways. We're talking about Ultimate DLC which went from "we're getting only Nintendo stuff" to "we are going all 3rd party guests". Hayabusa would've been written off as a "best as a base pick" or "not big enough" to end the pass.

I don't what you expect from "no one asked for". I think we've covered almost all the bases at this point. Hell, I talked about King of Fighters before the SNK Leak.

I'm sure at this point every character with any sort of chance has been talked about by someone somewhere. I'm definitely not saying I think the character will be someone that has never even be thought of. I just think it'll probably be a surprise to even those really into the conversation and leaks/rumors.

I feel like a lot of the current fighter pass has followed that, where even if someone was expected there was a twist to it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Nobody was talking about Dragon Quest because kids literally played hooky from school to buy it on release.

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
And to think, after Fighter 5 we don't even know how many more characters there will be.

We're going to destroy ourselves.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure at this point every character with any sort of chance has been talked about by someone somewhere. I'm definitely not saying I think the character will be someone that has never even be thought of. I just think it'll probably be a surprise to even those really into the conversation and leaks/rumors.

I feel like a lot of the current fighter pass has followed that, where even if someone was expected there was a twist to it.

We're getting Layton, and we're going to like it, lol.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually really down with Nightmare (SoulCalibur) being Fighter #5, partly because no one is really talking about him much (yet).

Maybe if we talk about a character enough, they'll get mentioned in "leaks".

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I'm not sure what you want from me exactly. The "popular" picks tend to be characters I have little to no interest in and I really do think people put to much stock into what there "sure" will happen.

Again I'm not sure what you want other then for people like me to just not talk in these threads I guess.

Almost nobody in this thread will root for Master Chief, Spike from Ape Escape, or Kite from .hack with me. Root for who ya wanna root for.

I've been stanning Ryu Hayabusa in these threads since before DLC was even announced, and I've run the full gamut from "no way such an obscure character happens" to "he's totally expected at this point" and everything in between.

It's been fucking exhausting.

Lol, if he's not DLC 5, he'll happen before DLC development ends. Stay strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.