• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Eh guess. I dunno most of the characters who are Spirits don't seem like they would've been made playable to begin with.

Like I know this is going to seems super biased but Rex and Spring Man seem like the most likely to be upgraded to playable character for this pass but Spring Man has his AT complicating his chances along with Rex's Mii Costume

I think the main reason why people are going with Spirits deconfirm characters method is that most of them don't seem like candidates for this batch of DLC to begin with.
As unlikely as it is, at least Spring Man has the easiest way out.

YpLFQeZ.png

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Personally, I think Spirits do kind of deconfirm characters. They were introduced as "characters other than fighters" thing. Only alter egos of playable characters exist and Fighter Spirits are way different from normal.

I wonder if "upgraded" characters are possible in potential future Fighter Passes. It seems like there is a lot of demand. You could probably make a good DLC list from Assist Trophies, Spirits & Mii Costumes.

I'm still shocked people want Shadow unironically. I know he is second most popular Sonic character, but I thought memes about him and bad reputation from his game didn't make him wanted for Smash. I guess Shadow was always deconfirmed early and easy clones being acceptable now really helped him.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of "leaks", Vergeben is now retroactively claiming that Cadence of Hyrule was the 2D Zelda he was talking about months ago. Which is weird...

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I think Spirits do kind of deconfirm characters. They were introduced as "characters other than fighters" thing. Only alter egos of playable characters exist and Fighter Spirits are way different from normal.

I wonder if "upgraded" characters are possible in potential future Fighter Passes. It seems like there is a lot of demand. You could probably make a good DLC list from Assist Trophies, Spirits & Mii Costumes.

I'm still shocked people want Shadow unironically. I know he is second most popular Sonic character, but I thought memes about him and bad reputation from his game didn't make him wanted for Smash. I guess Shadow was always deconfirmed early and easy clones being acceptable now really helped him.

In terms of ATs I feel like Spring Man is the only one that really warrants an upgrade. Most of the other characters that got assist'd were either because they just don't work well as a fighter, like Andross or the Moon, or because they're not particurly relevant/important enough for it, like Waluigi, Lyn...and Isaac (sorry).

Spring Man on the other hand just got screwed because of ARMS coming too late.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of ATs I feel like Spring Man is the only one that really warrants an upgrade. Most of the other characters that got assist'd were either because they just don't work well as a fighter, like Andross or the Moon, or because they're not particurly relevant/important enough for it, like Waluigi, Lyn...and Isaac (sorry).

Spring Man on the other hand just got screwed because of ARMS coming too late.
It's unfortunate, but that happens with smash sometimes. Dixie has had bad luck. Some gens of pokemon missed out, etc. Springman should be good for smash 6.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The dumbest part about the "leak" is claiming that all of the characters would be revealed by E3. That should've been enough to kill it immediately.

I didn't buy it for that reason, and because of Doomguy.

Ice climbers and captain falcon were even better examples than pacman. Iceclimbers literally just jump and hit their hammer. Captain falcon sits in a car.

Sure, and I'm not saying that all of those games heavily increased Pac-Man's capabilities either. I'm just saying that he was given more abilities than just what he does in the arcade game. :P

The biggest change in most of them was that he was given the ability to jump, and I also brought Pac-Man up as a character that had little "moveset potential" just looking at the things he does in his games, which is true. But it's not just the arcade game stuff.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Sakurai has taken a lot of liberties with characters, which while good for them, seems hypocritical if he would call out on bad moveset potential.

Mr. Game & Watch literally didn't even exist, he is just a bunch of references.

At this point he could almost literally work on anything and make it work. The only question is if it would really be worth it. Like, would a Tetris Blocks really be worth it as character?

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Klonoa is that it's more obscure than even the smallest Nintendo series represented in Smash Bros. Even Ice Climber outsold it. Sakurai has said countless times that not just any third-party character would get into Smash, and there's nothing remarkable about Klonoa's legacy. There are literally dozens of more appropriate guest characters.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
The problem with Klonoa is that it's more obscure than even the smallest Nintendo series represented in Smash Bros. Even Ice Climber outsold it. Sakurai has said countless times that not just any third-party character would get into Smash, and there's nothing remarkable about Klonoa's legacy.

He's remarkably adorable.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
klonoa is remarkable because the ending made me sad :(

and also remarkably less relevant than bubsy, of all things

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Tetris Blocks would definitely work if tried really hard. Transforming into different shapes, like I Tetromino could be up-tilt or up smash. T-spin would be neat neutral aerial, O as down aerial. J & L as down smash, S & Z as forward or backwards aerials.

But like… is that really a good character to be playable? If we discriminate Minecraft to not have playable character, honestly Tetris kind of is too.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Tetris Blocks would definitely work if tried really hard. Transforming into different shapes, like I Tetromino could be up-tilt or up smash. T-spin would be neat neutral aerial, O as down aerial. J & L as down smash, S & Z as forward or backwards aerials.

But like… is that really a good character to be playable? If we discriminate Minecraft to not have playable character, honestly Tetris kind of is too.

Tetris Block has a deep back story with aliens and space and Russia and stuff though.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's unfortunate, but that happens with smash sometimes. Dixie has had bad luck. Some gens of pokemon missed out, etc. Springman should be good for smash 6.
Yeah, I'm sure Spring Man will get his chance next time around. The problem is that the next Smash game is so far out. But hey, I waited until Ultimate for the Inklings, so I can wait a bit longer for Spring Man.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sakurai has taken a lot of liberties with characters, which while good for them, seems hypocritical if he would call out on bad moveset potential.

Mr. Game & Watch literally didn't even exist, he is just a bunch of references.

At this point he could almost literally work on anything and make it work. The only question is if it would really be worth it. Like, would a Tetris Blocks really be worth it as character?
To be fair Game and Watch and the other surprise characters are chosen with the intention of being batshit insane and being unconventional.

This was the same man who was convinced he couldn't make a Space Dragon work until people kept bugging him about it but made a Toy Robot work.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tetris is one of the biggest games of all time. Everyone and their grandma know what Tetris is (and saying it's literally everyone and their grandma would probably be fairly accurate). Plus, you can make a very quirky moveset out of it by playing around with the different block shapes and the mechanics of the game. You could have the "Hold piece" mechanic repurposed as a teleport Up B, the line clear as a sort of beam projectile, stuff like that. There's really cool ways you can make Tetris work as a character.
You can give something faceless like a Tetris piece a character by making it wacky and silly and even if on a base level, it'd probably be kind of basic, its presentation is so weird and unique that it would be interesting regardless.

And while you certainly could make an interesting gimmick around building shit with Minecraft, there's also the fact you'd still have a humanoid punching or swinging weapons and it'd have bland aspects to it. Steve still would have the iconic "punching a tree" thing going, have a sword or pickaxe attack (perhaps even both), probably have a bomb or dynamite stick of sorts, maybe have a bow. Aside from the building gimmick, there'd be very little charm to it.
I dunno.

That said, Sakurai has made me like characters I never was interested in before like Snake or Corrin, so for all I know Steve would end up amazing to play.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Lukewarm take: I've always thought a Tetris block was a dumb idea. It's not even a character by definition. People act like it would be akin to Mr. Game & Watch or R.O.B., but those two are sentient. A tetromino is the equivalent of a Super Mario ? Block or a Poké Ball. It's an object.

A Tetris stage or assist trophy would be cool, though.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Lukewarm take: I've always thought a Tetris block was a dumb idea. It's not even a character by definition. People act like it would be akin to Mr. Game & Watch or R.O.B., but those two are sentient. A tetromino is the equivalent of a Super Mario ? Block or a Poké Ball. It's an object.

I agree. Seeing a tetris block just literally running and jumping around is really...yea. anything can work technically, but not into that one.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA

I mean, Mr. Game & Watch and ROB didn't really en exist as characters until their introduction either.

The answer is obviously Mr. Tetromino, a character made out of all 7 blocks.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm sure Spring Man will get his chance next time around. The problem is that the next Smash game is so far out. But hey, I waited until Ultimate for the Inklings, so I can wait a bit longer for Spring Man.
Honestly telling Spring Man fans to wait for Smash 6 isn't going to make them feel better when they're still making characters and when the next Smash game is probably going to be super far away.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Text leaks have been credible before, but only from "trusted" people and even that can go south (loz18).
The saga of Loz and Vergeben were definitely some for the leak history books, thats for sure
Speaking of "leaks", Vergeben is now retroactively claiming that Cadence of Hyrule was the 2D Zelda he was talking about months ago. Which is weird...
well that aat least makes sense sense to do, unlike when he claimed minecraft was in as a boss in WoL.......like 3 days into the datamine of the early leaked copies that determined every boss.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Mr. Game & Watch and ROB didn't really en exist as characters until their introduction either.

The answer is obviously Mr. Tetromino, a character made out of all 7 blocks.
What do you mean? Mr. Game & Watch is an amalgamation of the characters (characters!) in the Game & Watch games, and R.O.B. is a cute robot with eyes and limbs. They existed long before Smash Bros.

w4XIFY5.jpg
sVDyViB.jpg

The Tetris blocks aren't meant to be characters. They're blank tiles.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly telling Spring Man fans to wait for Smash 6 isn't going to make them feel better when they're still making characters and when the next Smash game is probably going to be super far away.
It won't, but like, it's still the best thing to possibly say about it now. Some games just time bad with smash unfortunately. Sakurai even said sorry.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That's just the way it is, especially due to the Assist Trophy being a thing. Some games just have bad timing in relation to Smash.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Using the genre breakdown found on Nintendo UK's site, I was curious what genre(s) are not yet represented with a fighter. I'm only considering the primary genre for each series, otherwise Mario pretty much ticks everything.

Action- Kid Icarus, Metal Gear, Mega Man, Bayonatta, Castlevania
Adventure- Zelda, Metroid
Arcade- Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, Wario Ware, Pac-Man
Fighting- Street Fighter
Health & Fitness- Wii Fit
Music-
Party- Mii
Platformer- Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Kirby, Sonic
Puzzle-Dr Mario, ROB. Punch-Out (though some would consider it sport)
Racing-F-Zero
RPG- Pokémon, Earthbound, Xenoblade, Final Fantasy, Persona
Shooter-Star Fox, Duck Hunt, Splatoon
Simulation- Animal Crossing
Sports-
Strategy- Fire Emblem, Pikmin

Why they split action and adventure I have no idea, but overall I think that covers it. Hopefully I didn't forget a series. I consider Miis for party cos that seemed to cover their general 'goes with anything'ness.

So what we have left is music (or rhythm as most would call it) and sport (if we're not including Punch-Out - which you shouldn't cos it's totally a puzzle game).

And so, for full genre coverage I'm proposing Bamco's Haruka Amami* for music and Konami's Power Pro-kun for sport.

Imas-PV-Haruka_06-21-16.jpg
latest

Absolutely sound reasoning.

*I'll accept Don-chan as an alternative.

Last edited:

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It won't, but like, it's still the best thing to possibly say about it now. Some games just time bad with smash unfortunately. Sakurai even said sorry.
He just said sorry they couldn't make the roster from day 1. There was probably expectation for them to make base roster and Sakurai explained why they didn't because he was probablu going to be asked about it

I think extrapolating that him saying sorry for them missing base roster to them not being playable in Ultimate is incredibly presumptuous when we don't even know the full extent of what DLC is going to be

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Using the genre breakdown found on Nintendo UK's site, I was curious what genre(s) are not yet represented with a fighter. I'm only considering the primary genre for each series, otherwise Mario pretty much ticks everything.

Why they split action and adventure I have no idea, but overall I think that covers it. Hopefully I didn't forget a series. I consider Miis for party cos that seemed to cover their general 'goes with anything'ness.

So what we have left is music (or rhythm as most would call it) and sport (if we're not including Punch-Out - which you shouldn't cos it's totally a puzzle game).

And so, for full genre coverage I'm proposing Bamco's Haruka Amami* for music and Konami's Power Pro-kun for sport.

Imas-PV-Haruka_06-21-16.jpg
latest

Absolutely sound reasoning.

*I'll accept Don-chan as an alternative.
Rhythm Heaven could easily fill the Music category.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
What do you mean? Mr. Game & Watch is an amalgamation of the characters (characters!) in the Game & Watch games, and R.O.B. is a cute robot with eyes and limbs. They existed long before Smash Bros.

w4XIFY5.jpg
sVDyViB.jpg

The Tetris blocks aren't meant to be characters. They're blank tiles.
I mean they had no characterization or even a real name. Mr. Game and Watch is still just an amalgam of the hundreds of different characters that they originally made up for Melee and ROB is still just the Famicom Robot even though the character has a bunch of abilities made up to fit into Smash.

A literal Tetromino would be a dumb character, but if we can personify the robot we can make up an identity for those too. I'm just saying, it's all possible.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
He just said sorry they couldn't make the roster from day 1. There was probably expectation for them to make base roster and Sakurai explained why they didn't because he was probably going to be asked about it

I think extrapolating that him saying sorry for them missing base roster to them not being playable in Ultimate is incredibly presumptuous when we don't even know the full extent of what DLC is going to be
I guess you could make that argument for Rex since he's only a Mii Costume (it's damning, yes, but a sliver of hope still exists if we get a Season 2), but the Spring Man Assist Trophy is pretty clear-cut as to it killing his chances at ever getting in Ultimate.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
He just said sorry they couldn't make the roster from day 1. There was probably expectation for them to make base roster and Sakurai explained why they didn't because he was probablu going to be asked about it

Him saying that combined with springman AT and ribbongirl costume paints a pretty clear picture...at least to me. Just my opinion though.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I guess you could make that argument for Rex since he's only a Mii Costume (it's damning, yes, but a sliver of hope still exists if we get a Season 2), but the Spring Man Assist Trophy is pretty clear-cut as to it killing his chances at ever getting in Ultimate.
Literally based on what? Like give me concrete proof that Assist Trophy means that they won't be playable at all during any point of the game getting new fighters?

Spring Man missed out on base and was given an AT to make up for it but with that said it doesn't disqualify him from being playable in Ultimate

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
why would he pick this and not Link's Awakening Switch????
Because he said "there's a 2D Zelda game coming this year, and it has nothing to do with Link's Awakening" right before the direct lmao

He later said that there's an eshop only Zelda game, he was the first one to publicly talk about it, even if it was already known by other insiders. Most clearly knew that it was actually an indie title, not a Nintendo game.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Literally based on what? Like give me concrete proof that Assist Trophy means that they won't be playable at all during any point of the game getting new fighters?

Spring Man missed out on base and was given an AT to make up for it but withstand doesn't disqualify him from being playable in Ultimate
You could make that argument the other way around, when has an Assist Trophy ever been promoted to playable?

With that said, I recall the Brawl interview with Sakurai mentioning Assist Trophies mainly being for characters who won't be playable, but I keep forgetting which one (I remember linking it a few months back).

Because he said "there's a 2D Zelda game coming this year, and it has nothing to do with Link's Awakening" right before the direct lmao

He later said that there's an eshop only Zelda game, he was the first one to publicly talk about it, even if it was already known by other insiders. Most clearly knew that it was actually an indie title, not a Nintendo game.
Can we all just ignore Vergeben? He's not worth our time.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
In hindsight its actually kind of annoying how Sakurai says that character must display personality & do something only it can do (minus clones), when he literally just creates characters out of nowhere. How many are there?

- Fox gained a lot of moves unique to Smash, only vaguely resembling Arwing Moves, like Fire Fox & Reflector
- Luigi just does awkward things like that Green Missile, Forward Smash stab
- Ness is just Earthbound the character, he uses Paula's moves for specials
- Literally everything for Captain Falcon, except that his high speed was probably inspired by him being racer lol
- Ice Climbers shooting Ice because they are ICE Climbers harhar
- Mr. Game & Watch
- He literally just creates shit for Meta Knight, like ok he created him, but when did he ever summon 4 wings?
- Pit completely reimagined, only afterwards when another game was out was he made more accurate
- Just invented those rocket boots for ZSS
- Lucas also just gets the unique stuff from party members by having Duster's Rope Snake
- Lucario's Aura making him stronger when he is damaged
- ROB
- Pac-Man just steals other games stuff with trampoline. Not to mention really bizarre usage of fire hydrant
- Koopalings just have "mass produced" Clown Karts
- Duck Hunt just uses other Zapper games as well

Obviously, all of these turned out pretty great, but there really should be no excuse for anyone if he just does whatever with characters loosely being based on games rather than characters themselves.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
A literal Tetromino would be a dumb character, but if we can personify the robot we can make up an identity for those too. I'm just saying, it's all possible.
R.O.B. has always been personified, though. That's my point. He has a face, limbs, a "father," he can literally carry out physical tasks, and Nintendo of America gave him a human name way back in 1985. He's not an original creation of Smash Bros. Neither is Mr. Game & Watch. The name was created for Smash Bros., like Zero Suit Samus and Villager, but the imagery and spirit of the character are taken directly from real games. Tetris was not designed as a character-based game. Tetris blocks are literally just that -- blocks -- so a hypothetical "Mr. Tetris" would have to be a completely original character the likes of which Smash Bros. has never seen.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Spring Man missed out on base and was given an AT to make up for it but with that said it doesn't disqualify him from being playable in Ultimate

I've been trying to argue in a similar fashion a while back, it's not worth it lol. They won't be backing down.

Status
Not open for further replies.