Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 9, 2018
Persona 5 is more niche than Undertale, according to this resetera thread, persona 5 has sold around 2.2 million copies as of may 2018 while undertale on steam has sold anywhere from 2-5 million, so lets be generous and say it has sold ~3 million copies, which is still more than persona 5 alone but also doesn't take in account any console sales. Shovel knight has in total sold around 2 million copies according to this post by yacht club games. Undertale is huge and has had a cultural impact to the point where there are symphonies, undertale themed wrestling intros, and a SHIT TON of undertale fanart on miiverse before it was shut down.

Everytime people suggest characters from a popular game, sakurai has always gone for the popular choice for third party characters rather than the one that would make the most "sense". Cloud over Terra/ any other FF character, Joker over Jack Frost, which is why I think it's sans bois.

n2nZPRH.gif

You took the words straight out of my lazy mouth! Undertale is HUGE! Sans enjoys widespread name recognition even if some of that is derision. Mindshare is mindshare, punks.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I know right? How stupid would you have to be to ever consider Geno as a possibility for Smash?
ifMiWiT.png

Brawl came out in 2008 so Sakurai was probably thinking that in 2005-2006 when Super Mario RPG was 10 years old, and even then it seems it was ultimately decided that he wasn't a good fit for the roster. It's been 22 years now, it ain't happening.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
n2nZPRH.gif

You took the words straight out of my lazy mouth! Undertale is HUGE! Sans enjoys widespread name recognition even if some of that is derision. Mindshare is mindshare, punks.
Undertale is honestly the only indie game I could see having a chance at playable representation in Smash if Shovel Knight couldn't get in.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
This render is about how I imagine he'd look. Not as dirty/messy as his in-game appearance.

Aw1YDTS.png

As for music, Minecraft music is way too slow-paced and chill for a battle but they could make for some great remixes. I'd love to hear an upbeat Smash take on this:

edit: Found a perfect example of such a remix:

They still look like a blocky mess through. There's no salvaging that design tbh. If he's in its because of the recognizability.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
GIVE ME TETRIS MAN! Each Tetrimino is a body part! T-Block for the head, I-Block for the body, S and Z-Block for the arms, and J and L-Block for the legs! DOOOOO IIIIIIT!

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Persona 5 is more niche than Undertale, according to this resetera thread, persona 5 has sold around 2.2 million copies as of may 2018 while undertale on steam has sold anywhere from 2-5 million, so lets be generous and say it has sold ~3 million copies, which is still more than persona 5 alone but also doesn't take in account any console sales. Shovel knight has in total sold around 2 million copies according to this post by yacht club games. Undertale is huge and has had a cultural impact to the point where there are symphonies, undertale themed wrestling intros, and a SHIT TON of undertale fanart on miiverse before it was shut down.
Persona is a multimedia, long running franchise owned by company with close ties to Nintendo, it has had multiple animes and spin-offs and shit, so it is by definition, especially in Nintendo's eyes, monumentally bigger than a single indie game made by one guy.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I know right? How stupid would you have to be to ever consider Geno as a possibility for Smash?
ifMiWiT.png

Geno's biggest hurdle is that Nintendo and SE literally don't give a damn about him and aren't going to play ball with each other over him as he does nothing for either company compared to literally any other major character SE has. He only gets a spirit and a costume last game because Cloud is in and came as a bonus.

Its not that no one wants him in. Its just that those who have most say in the decision more than likely won't.

But hey stranger things have happened

Undertale is honestly the only indie game I could see having a chance at playable representation in Smash if Shovel Knight couldn't get in.

I agree and I don't even care about that game. Though imo, I don't feel it's happening with these 5 characters

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck Sans.

Not because I don't want Undertale in Smash but because I'm both tired of the memes as well as the Undertail fans being incapable of doing anything without him.

Anyone besides the MC gets in it should be Undyne.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
Persona is a multimedia, long running franchise owned by company with close ties to Nintendo, it has had multiple animes and spin-offs and shit, so it is by definition, especially in Nintendo's eyes, monumentally bigger than a single indie game made by one guy.

yeah and after 20 years of history its massively hyped game still was outsold by an indie game by 1 dude. By quite a lot. And its popular enough to get and orchestrated version of its soundtrack played on Japanese T.V. here.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to believe the leak for the last 3 characters simply due to the fact that announcing the 2 final characters at E3 so they can be released 5 and 7 months from then doesn't seem like a Nintendo thing to do. Release DLC 2 right after the E3 Direct and announce DLC 3 at the end of it for release in August/September. Then have a Smash direct in October to announce DLC 4 (November) and 5 (February) and both release dates.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
GIVE ME TETRIS MAN! Each Tetrimino is a body part! T-Block for the head, I-Block for the body, S and Z-Block for the arms, and J and L-Block for the legs! DOOOOO IIIIIIT!

Would be more interesting a Tetrimino that changes shapes for specials since they are all made of 4 blocks so they can be rearranged easily

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
yeah and after 20 years of history its massively hyped game still was outsold by an indie game by 1 dude. By quite a lot. And its popular enough to get and orchestrated version of its soundtrack played on Japanese T.V. here.
You're comparing a $15 PC game with a massive install base to a $60 PS3/4 game. I bought it for $2 on Steam during a sale. Not shit it sold more.

Also, Persona 5 seems to be getting an updated Switch port this year. What is Undertale getting on Switch this year that would make Nintendo consider it? Fucking nothing.

JGCD

Oct 25, 2017
I always figure Sans chance were nil since Shovel Knight is the big indie star and he is an assist (which is still really amazing)

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Brawl came out in 2008 so Sakurai was probably thinking that in 2005-2006 when Super Mario RPG was 10 years old, and even then it seems it was ultimately decided that he wasn't a good fit for the roster. It's been 22 years now, it ain't happening.
Everyone knows that Geno would never make it in as a relevant pick (obviously), that isn't the thing holding him back (if anything, it's probably just Square not wanting him). He would be a pure 100% fan pick, regardless of his only major appearance being 22 years ago. Sakurai himself considers him an "older character" but I think his fan support could get him in eventually regardless.
Masahiro Sakurai said:
He's very popular. When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests.
But his time definitely won't be in Ultimate. I suppose he'll get his chance another day.

Last edited:

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
My three most wanted characters are Arle, Shantae, and Phoenix Wright.

Give me ONE of those three and I won't ask for anything else.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
You're comparing a $15 PC game with a massive install base to a $60 PS3/4 game. I bought it for $2 on Steam during a sale. Not shit it sold more.

Also, Persona 5 seems to be getting an updated Switch port this year. What is Undertale getting on Switch this year that would make Nintendo consider it? Fucking nothing.
cloud didn't get his game on Nintendo until sometime this year (we still don't know when). What are Simon and Richter getting on switch this year? assuming all the characters are being added to advertise an upcoming game/series. Also there is a very realistic chance that the deltarune demo gets added to the undertale console ports sometimes this year as well.

its real easy to just dismiss sans as a meme, but honestly there are many signs pointing towards him at the very least being possible. Especially after Joker and Cloud.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Who do you guys think Brave is? I'm going with 85% Erdrick and 15% Yuri Lowell (who runs Brave Vesperia in Tales of Vesperia).

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
cloud didn't get his game on Nintendo until sometime this year (we still don't know when). What are Simon and Richter getting on switch this year? assuming all the characters are being added to advertise an upcoming game/series. Also there is a very realistic chance that the deltarune demo gets added to the undertale console ports sometimes this year as well.

its real easy to just dismiss sans as a meme, but honestly there are many signs pointing towards him at the very least being possible. Especially after Joker and Cloud.
Simon and Cloud don't matter in this circumstance. They were Sakurai picks, Joker is a Nintendo pick.

And Nintendo would totally pick a DLC character to promote a free demo that you can already play on PC right this minute. Suuuuure they would.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
This render is about how I imagine he'd look. Not as dirty/messy as his in-game appearance.

Aw1YDTS.png

As for music, Minecraft music is way too slow-paced and chill for a battle but they could make for some great remixes. I'd love to hear an upbeat Smash take on this:

edit: Found a perfect example of such a remix:

I like it. Both the look and the music. Thanks for sharing!

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018

popularity my dude.
Simon and Cloud don't matter in this circumstance. They were Sakurai picks, Joker is a Nintendo pick.

And Nintendo would totally pick a DLC character to promote a free demo that you can already play on PC right this minute. Suuuuure they would.

This is going of the assumption that all the characters are made to promote an upcoming game, which we still don't know if that person game is coming to switch in the first place

If you believe the rumor in the first place, then obviously Sans is not in (barring a fighters pass), so why bother implying every character is there to promote an upcoming game?

and again, popularity and whether Nintendo is okay with it is basically all it takes to get in smash (along with legal rights, but i highly doubt Toby Fox would not let Sans in smash)

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
Joker
Edrick
Clash of Clans Barbarian
Mobile Strike Soldier
Camilla (FE Fates)

Perfect rage-inducing roster list right here.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
EA0315771770CF34C15928056753B78AB2C5A42E
tumblr_p2be2yENcC1x1t4m1o1_400.gif
tenor.gif

tumblr_p9vq7gbXU71qlh9h7o3_500.gif
PhonyBelovedArawana-size_restricted.gif

033.gif
tumblr_op56ygqZnv1qh1rfpo1_400.gif

AKL.gif
lanky-kong-gif-6.gif

Okay, I had a few more but that might be too many images. I'm rooting for ALL OF THESE!
tumblr_p62cddkoNt1wfqkg8o3_400.gif
tenor.gif
tumblr_mhzinwqNiz1rmu6i5o1_500.gif
tenor.gif

Some other good ones!

Throw in Bandana Dee & replace Lanky w/ Funky, & you got a deal.

Fuck Sans.

Not because I don't want Undertale in Smash but because I'm both tired of the memes as well as the Undertail fans being incapable of doing anything without him.

Anyone besides the MC gets in it should be Undyne.

Would you settle for Papyrus?

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Dixie plz.

Too lazy to post the picture three times, someone else do it.

If no Dixie, Doomguy plz.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The ride never ends!

Come on, Ayumi! If freaking Joker from Persona 5 can make it in, so can a Famicom Detective Club rep!

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
"he's popular" =/= "there are many signs pointing to him be included"
literally cloud. he only got in because he was popular. no final fantasy games came out on wii u. There where reps that represented nintendo final fantasies better than cloud, but he was the most popular one so he got in. Characters being popular across Japan and America are somewhat rare, and its why no one discusses shit like subzero Arle and Jibanyan, because they are popular in only one country and have zero or little presence in the other. undertale being everywhere in miiverse and undertale got its own announcement trailer in a direct for a 3 year old port. i'm not saying he is a sure thing, im just saying its a real possibility.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I don't believe the Doom Guy rumor until further evidence appears, but the more I see of Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive, the more I think Hayabusa would be a good addition to Smash. Unfortunately, he doesn't bring the hype the way a DLC character should.

Besides, wouldn't another Bandai Namco rep be better? People love Tekken, Dark Souls, and Tales of. Better yet, let's get another Capcom rep. The only potential dlc fighter I'm invested in right now is the Monster Hunter.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Would be more interesting a Tetrimino that changes shapes for specials since they are all made of 4 blocks so they can be rearranged easily
Perfect! Do it, Sakurai!

And if you can't... GIVE US A TETRIS STAGE! There's an empty space right there once all the fighters pass stages are added!

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Sakurai said he had Ninja Gaiden on his Wii VC about a decade ago!

That must mean Hayabusa really is in!

/s
Someone should check to see if he has any Ninja Gaiden titles hiding in these two pictures
3decbecc6653bd414525cb81b391ad2b1-1024x484.jpg

08-1-1024x732.jpg

Though seriously, I am curious about what 30 Super Famicom titles Sakurai has stored in that cool display.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Someone should check to see if he has any Ninja Gaiden titles hiding in these two pictures
3decbecc6653bd414525cb81b391ad2b1-1024x484.jpg

08-1-1024x732.jpg

Though seriously, I am curious about what 30 Super Famicom titles Sakurai has stored in that cool display.

First picture should be easier since you could figure out which games by their release date but SNES without release date. It's tougher to figure out without any Japanese knowledge.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
As of now, characters who are female by default make up 20.513% of Smash Ultimate's current roster (counting DLC). If the rumor pans out, that percentage goes down to 19.512%. Even at its current percentage, Smash Ultimate's ratio is only better than MvCI & DBFZ.

I hope Nintendo helps fix this. Even adding one more female-by-default character would have the percentage surpass that of Smash Wii U/3DS (20.690%).

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.