• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Guess it's time

vkAFxOJ.png

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Team ninja is working on that marvel game right?

Anyone think they'd let platinum make the new ninja gaiden game?

Also was the hayabusa rumor posted after marvel ultimate Alliance was announced?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
With Mega Man, Simon Belmont, and Solid Snake represented, Smash has some of the most important third-party NES action games covered. Ninja Gaiden and Contra are probably the biggest ones left, and Ryu Hayabusa would be a much easier fit than Lance and/or Bill. Between the original trilogy and the revival, he has so many potential moves, and jumping over the Windmill Shuriken to keep it flying around the screen would be just perfect.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
First picture should be easier since you could figure out which games by their release date but SNES without release date. It's tougher to figure out without any Japanese knowledge.

Ninja Gaiden is called 忍者龍剣伝 in Japanese, its a grey gamepak but it seems he doesn't have it in the photo.

He has them sorted by date, if he did have it it could be in the drawer that is only partly open.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so do you guys think each new character would add like a little section to world of light, or no? it'll be weird if once all is said and done there's 80 characters but only 74 are in the adventure mode.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
so do you guys think each new character would add like a little section to world of light, or no? it'll be weird if once all is said and done there's 80 characters but only 74 are in the adventure mode.
The possible options for additions to World of Light in order of likely-hood (from most to least likely) would be:
  • They just allow you to choose the DLC characters in World of Light with no added battles or anything; they just pop up on the character select.
  • They throw in awakening battles for the DLC characters somewhere on the map(s).
  • They add a small sub-area for the DLC characters with their awakening battles and a few new spirit battles.
  • Each DLC fighter (minus Piranha Plant) gets a new sub-area with spirits from that franchise and the fighter at the end.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't believe in that rumor (the last three i mean, DQ is happening it seems like), but i think doom slayer would be an excelent choice, both as a different character to fight as and because of his relevancy to nintendo, both now on switch and for his older games on nintendo platforms.

The possible options for additions to World of Light in order of likely-hood (from most to least likely) would be:
  • They just allow you to choose the DLC characters in World of Light with no added battles or anything; they just pop up on the character select.
  • They throw in awakening battles for the DLC characters somewhere on the map(s).
  • They add a small sub-area for the DLC characters with their awakening battles and a few new spirit battles.
  • Each DLC fighter (minus Piranha Plant) gets a new sub-area with spirits from that franchise and the fighter at the end.
i really hope it's not the first one. i would love if each get's a new sub area with related spirits.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
can we get normal burn my dread instead of the final battle one

also heartful cry

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
I'm sorry, but this lineup would be a letdown to me. No first party characters? I mean, I get the marketing and all that, but I feel like the pass should've been called "Guest Fighters' Pass," or something that conveys the makeup of the DLC roster would be completely different than that of the base game.
Yeah, me too. Really hoping that's not the case. I mean, it's not a big deal because i just won't buy any of them, but i'd like some more first party characters.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, me too. Really hoping that's not the case. I mean, it's not a big deal because i just won't buy any of them, but i'd like some more first party characters.

I mean, unless rex is a dlc character, I'm not convinced there's much first party stuff left that isn't already discounted by assist trophies that I'd want either. If the doomguy leaks are real, joker would end up being the only character I care about in the dlc, so I hope it isn't correct.

3/4 dlc newcomers of smash 4 were third party characters too though, so precedent is there for it being mostly third party despite the base roster being the opposite.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Someone should check to see if he has any Ninja Gaiden titles hiding in these two pictures
3decbecc6653bd414525cb81b391ad2b1-1024x484.jpg

08-1-1024x732.jpg

Though seriously, I am curious about what 30 Super Famicom titles Sakurai has stored in that cool display.

Hey guys. I signed up just so I could give you a hand with this task (since I learn a lot from lurking, I thought I'd help out for once).
I just got home from work, so if you give me a bit of time, I can get you the names of these games. Not all of them though D: It gets a little blurry in some spots, unfortunately.

Quick note, I did not see Ninja Gaiden, but I shall double check!

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

For a BD character to happen, it would require Nintendo to go to S-E and say "Listen, we don't want a main protagonist from one of the biggest JRPG series of all time, we don't want the hero of your hugely popular Disney crossover, we don't want the cool action lady who raids tombs, we don't even want that little puppet dude that fans keep asking for. We want a Bravely Default character". I just don't see it happening, especially since it's been pretty well established that they want third-party characters who are from long running / all-time classic series.

Lordciego

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
For a BD character to happen, it would require Nintendo to go to S-E and say "Listen, we don't want a main protagonist from one of the biggest JRPG series of all time, we don't want the hero of your hugely popular Disney crossover, we don't want the cool action lady who raids tombs, we don't even want that little puppet dude that fans keep asking for. We want a Bravely Default character". I just don't see it happening, especially since it's been pretty well established that they want third-party characters who are from long running / all-time classic series.
Yeah I don't see it either, but is more fuel for the "brave" discussion.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Update for those interested in Sakurai's Nintendo and Super Nintendo game collection from the picture on the previous page.
This is the link to the post with the pictures:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...the-wild-ride-is-still-on.91979/post-16651261

Games are listed in top-to-bottom, left-to-right order.
I've included the Japanese as well, in case something I wrote in English is weird and you would like to double check.
Picture one is the same as the bottom left of picture two, just enlarged.

Picture two (Starting from purple cartridge at the top of the second column):
Second Column
ホーガンズアレイ: Hogan's Alley
ゴルフ(?): Golf
ダックハント(?): Duck Hunt
ワイルドガンマン: Wild Gunman
ピンボール: Pinball
テニス: Tennis
ベースボール: Baseball
ポパイの英語遊び: Popeye no Eigo Asobi (A Popeye game for learning how to spell English words)
マリオブラザーズ: Mario Bros.
麻雀: Mahjong
五目ならべ連珠: Gomoku Narabe Renju (Japan-exclusive Connect Five game of sorts?)
ドンキーコングJr.+JR.算数レッスン: I think this catridge comes with both Donkey Kong Jr. and Donkey Kong Jr. Math
ポパイ: Popeye
ドンキーコング: Donkey Kong
ドンキーコングJR: Donkey Kong JR

Third Column
Too blurry
Too blurry
Too blurry
Can only see half the word
スターフォース: Star Force
ハイパーオリンピック殿様版: Hyper Olympic/Sports (There are like a million versions, not sure what's what tbh)
イーアルカンフー: Yie Ar Kung-Fu
フォーメーションZ: Formation Z
バンゲリングベイ: Raid on Bungeling Bay
アイスクライマー: Ice Climber
ゼビウス: Xevious
F1レース: F-1 Race
ギャラクシアン: Galaxian
ロードランナー: Lode Runner (Not to be confused with Road Runner, as I mistakenly did)
ナッツ&ミルク: Nuts & Milk

Fourth Column
Too blurry
Too blurry
Too blurry
ハイパースポーツ: Hyper Sports (This time the Japanese says Sports. The other says cartridge says Olympics.)
Too blurry

Picture Three (Super Nintendo Games):
天地創造: Terranigma
餓狼伝説スペシャル: Fatal Fury Special
ファイナルファンタジーVI: Final Fantasy VI
悪魔城ドラキュラ: Super Castlevania IV (Number for these games is a bit wonky it seems)
バトル・マスター: Battle Master
エキゾーストヒートII: Exhaust Heat 2
スーパーロボット大戦EX: Super Robot Wars EX
決戦! ドカポン王国 IV: Kessen! Dokapon Oukoku 4 (A board game I think?)
マッスルボマー: Saturday Night Slam Masters (as opposed to the original Japanese, Muscle Bomber)
メタルマックス2: Metal Max 2
全日本プロレス: Zen-Nippon Pro Wrestling
真・女神転生: Shin Megami Tensei
真・女神転生II: Shin Megami Tensei II
ザ・ニンジャウォーリアーズ~アゲイン: The Ninja Warriors Again
ハロー!パックマン: Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures (Hello! Pac-Man in Japan)
チョップリフターIII: Choplifter 3
ザ・ファイヤーメン: The Firemen
バトルモービル: Gekitotsu Dangan Jidousha Kessen: Battle Mobile
デザートファイター: A.S.P. Air Strike Patrol (Desert Fighter in Japan)
ファイナルファイト2: Final Fight 2
トルネコの大冒険: Torneko no Daibōken: Fushigi no Dungeon (Apparently the first Mystery Dungeon game. Cool!)
イーハトーヴォ物語: Ihatovo Monogatari (Inspired by the stories of famous Japanese writer, Kenji Miyazawa)
エストポリス伝記II: Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
プリンスオブペルシャ: Prince of Persia
クロノトリガー: Chrono Trigger

The rest of the Super Nintendo cartridges are blank.
So basically... Popeye for smash?

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Or it's plausible that they want to start with third parties right away because it requires more communication with the teams to get their approvals with the characters and Nintendo characters are more likely to be slightly easier to communicate with the IP owners.
The order doesn't matter if Smash 4 DLC is anything to go by. Ryu, Cloud and Bayonetta weren't the first characters.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

The reason Bravely would be considered is mostly down to the fact that Bravely Third will in all likelyhood be a Switch exclusive, as the other two main games in the series were Nintendo 3DS exclusives. Kingdom hearts 3 might never make it to switch, tomb raider certainly won't, I'm presuming geno is out as he's already a spirit. That, combined with Nintendo purportedly having a hand in choosing the characters means I Wouldn't entirely dismiss the chances.

Plus, in an English language forum, you're going to see more of a push for Bravely than in Japanese forums,. because of how focused on Japan DQ is in terms of sales. Compare how Bravely Default did vs some of the 3DS dragon quest games to get an English release, for example the NPD numbers in launch months: (i've only included one example because I could only find the one NPD number on short notice).

In North America, Bravely Default met with strong debut sales, reaching #10 in NPD Group's sales charts and selling 200,000 copies
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/13/bravely-default-sold-200000-copies-u-s/

"Dragon Quest VII also came out in September. As for the RPG, which debuted on September 16, it also sold around 35,000 copies."
https://nintendoeverything.com/sept...vii-sales-wii-u-and-3ds-hardware-performance/

The question then is, is it worth releasing a character that only really targets one region?
Probably, when it's so popular as DQ is in Japan, but don't expect the other regions to like it as much.

(DQ11 did do better, but the sales there are still heavily biased towards being in Japan, iirc a recent article put it at 75%+ in Japan vs the rest of the world, where bravely default ended up at 40% Japan 60% rest of world, roughly).

In all likelyhood the DQ speculation/leaks are correct, and this is just playing devils advocate anyway.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I could see Dixie Kong as being a surprise semi-clone dropped without too much fanfare between fighter pass characters.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Or, maybe I'm just being hopeful, Nintendo is like "yo, we don't want to have the music of a war crime denier and someone who mocks and laughs at the deaths of young members of the LGBTQ+. So if you don't mind, we'd like to use a character from a series/division that makes exclusives for us."

But I dunno. I know I'm wrong, we're totally getting Dragon Quest guy.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Is it wrong that I have my doubts on this? The only reason why is that it feels really weird to consider that you have three M-Rated characters (Joker, Ryu and Doomguy) as apart of the fighter's pack and kind of drastically changes the tone of Smash Ultimate. Not to say "Keep M-Rated characters out of my Smash Brothers!" but it would seem weird to have all these characters from E-E10+ rated games like K. Rool, Isabelle, Incineroar and a few T Rated characters like the Belmonts (and I suppose Ridley too since it isn't like Family murdering isn't really E rated unless if you're Disney) and then suddenly be like, "Isabelle and Pichu vs DOOMGUY AND RYU THE NINJA!"

As for Minecraft... Meh... If it happens, cool I suppose but I'm not going to be touching that character after I finish Classic Mode with Steve.

Now if this does happen, then cool deal, but I'm kind of looking at Ryu, Steve and Doomguy with the same eyes as the Grinch Leak (and how I feel like the interwebs is being taken for another ride).

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
At least the Grinch leak had artwork. There's literally nothing going for the 5chan leak besides guessing a character that's been speculated to death.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm like 99 percent sure Sylux is a woman.

It seems they've hidden their gender and, well, typically when fiction does that it's a woman.
Calling it now.

Sylux is not only a woman, but is a clone of Samus. That's why she hates the Federation, because they made a clone of Samus and she's mad that she's just some clone.

Book it.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
mas8705

It's not wrong to doubt the rumors. It's sometime people forget the fact it's just a rumor; not reliable leaks.

Way the leaker entailed the information really rubbed me off wrong. No way they would know everything and dates.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
I still think someone from Rhythm Heaven has a chance. The amount of spirits from that series without a rep seems somewhat suspicious. I feel like they were cut fairly late.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I still think someone from Rhythm Heaven has a chance. The amount of spirits from that series without a rep seems somewhat suspicious. I feel like they were cut fairly late.
Rhythm Heaven was supposed to get a playable rep in Smash Wii U/3DS, if that's what you mean. With that said, a Rhythm Heaven character would be a pretty tough sell as DLC.....at least outside of Japan. At least Dragon Quest has its pedigree backing it up.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has been trying to sell Dragon Quest in the west for literally decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.