• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
Doctre81, your video showed me that the AC3 leak a month ago came from the same French retailer (WTT) that started the Witcher 3 rumors with a listing at that time... (caution: They seem to have a lot of erroneous listings too, so no reason to get excited from this fact alone)

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Doctre81, your video showed me that the AC3 leak a month ago came from the same French retailer (WTT) that started the Witcher 3 rumors with a listing at that time... (caution: They seem to have a lot of erroneous listings too, so no reason to get excited from this fact alone)

Yeah that was the reason for searching there in the first place and I found that while checking on the witcher

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
and? 10/10-2 is 40GB and 12 is 50GB on PC. the game isn't a straight port of the PS2 version
How big was the PS2 game? I thought I remembered it as a single DVD.

I bet the PC version has a bunch of alternate textures that are for video cards with different amounts of RAM. I bet the Switch only needs one set of textures. I bet they could also profile the game for unused files. Most file systems have a last accessed time for files.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What about Ridge Racer 8? The LinkedIn profile showed they were making that too. Hoping to see that announced this year.

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
No its was about Tomb raider, SQ was bringing the reboot and the second game to the switch at some point, dont know what happened after that.

Just a wild guess, but if a Switch revision/pro version is happening this year, could it be that all these rumored third party ports were moved there since they might need that extra juice?

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
Just a wild guess, but if a Switch revision/pro version is happening this year, could it be that all these rumored third party ports were moved there since they might need that extra juice?

Could be if the Pro rumors are true, yet AC3 seems to be announced for the normal Switch. The other explanation could be memory. 64GB cards have been announced for 2019 and have not been seen in the wild yet, they may still be too expensive, and many of the rumored third party ports seem to demand bigger cards than 32GB.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How big was the PS2 game? I thought I remembered it as a single DVD.

I bet the PC version has a bunch of alternate textures that are for video cards with different amounts of RAM. I bet the Switch only needs one set of textures. I bet they could also profile the game for unused files. Most file systems have a last accessed time for files.
About 5GB on PS2. And textures aren't stored multiple times for various video cards. Resolution is scaled on the fly, so there is only one set of textures in the game

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not a juice problem since thosr games ran on X360 I think.

Like many other games, file size was the big issue.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

First both those games were on Xbox 360 so Switch shouldnt have any problems running them, second what you are saying means that those games couldnt run on current Switch that buy time revision come out will have install base of more than 40m, and hardly 3rd parties would want to release game that couldnt be played buy such a huge part of Switch install base.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
First both those games were on Xbox 360 so Switch shouldnt have any problems running them, second what you are saying means that those games couldnt run on current Switch that buy time revision come out will have install base of more than 40m, and hardly 3rd parties would want to release game that couldnt be played buy such a huge part of Switch install base.
This. I think a Switch Pro would improve the performance and resolution of third-party ports, but nobody would want to make games exclusively for the Pro, even if Nintendo doesn't have a parity clause or something..

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
3rd parties would not release a Pro only version of any of their games anyways. It's possinble a few may have pro-enhanced versions so they could launch along with the hardware and get extra sales, but to be honest, I'm doubting a Pro is launching this year based on what's been said by insiders here.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
No, it sold I think twice as much as the others.

For statistics, there must be more people with nostalgia for Super Paper Mario.

Look at the systems that the games sold on. For the GCN, TTYD sold well (#9 best seller on the system). In terms of wii performance, SPM didn't sell that well (#21 best seller on the system). Besides no one has nostalgia for a game that is so sub-par.

Honestly, this is like saying that 3D mario should've returned to mario galaxy style, just because the game "sold more." That doesn't mean it was a better game, but rather the status of the Nintendo system at the time. This isn't a casual crowd like it was on the wii. Most wii games had a target of a casual audience.

EDIT: Adding part about galaxy.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Look at the systems that the games sold on. For the GCN, TTYD sold well (#9 best seller on the system). In terms of wii performance, SPM didn't sell that well (#21 best seller on the system). Besides no one has nostalgia for a game that is so sub-par.

Honestly, this is like saying that 3D mario should've returned to mario galaxy style, just because the game "sold more." That doesn't mean it was a better game, but rather the status of the Nintendo system at the time. This isn't a casual crowd like it was on the wii. Most wii games had a target of a casual audience.

EDIT: Adding part about galaxy.

SPM outsold TTYD handily. Comparing best selling rank as opposed to actual units is dumb.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
SPM outsold TTYD handily. Comparing best selling rank as opposed to actual units is dumb.
Not really, because there's no way that TTYD would have out sold SPM considering the systems they were on. The system also matters because for the GCN, TTYD was a pretty big hit, but for the wii, SPM was a mediocre seller.

Also, I have literally never heard anyone say that they want a paper mario game like SPM. There's a massive group that wants a more traditional, turn-based combat, story and character driven paper mario.

EDIT: In fact, if you look at US sales, SPM sold less than half a million more than TTYD. For a wii game, SPM should have sold outrageous numbers.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
Mario kart wii is the best selling Mario kart game by far.

Does that mean it's the best Mario kart game? Or that everyone wants Mario kart to be more like Mario kart wii?

No, it means it was on a ridiculously successful system, the Wii. It's very naive to think system install base doesn't have an effect on software sales.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Not really, because there's no way that TTYD would have out sold SPM considering the systems they were on. The system also matters because for the GCN, TTYD was a pretty big hit, but for the wii, SPM was a mediocre seller.

Also, I have literally never heard anyone say that they want a paper mario game like SPM. There's a massive group that wants a more traditional, turn-based combat, story and character driven paper mario.

EDIT: In fact, if you look at US sales, SPM sold less than half a million more than TTYD. For a wii game, SPM should have sold outrageous numbers.
But Metroid Prime 3 sold less than 1.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
But Metroid Prime 3 sold less than 1.
Well that's some cherry picking right there haha. Metroid Prime is as hardcore focused as Nintendo gets. The Wii crowd didn't go for that kind of stuff. Mario is much more casual friendly. I think you'd struggle to find a game with Mario in the title that sold less on Wii than its gamecube equivalent.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Well that's some cherry picking right there haha. Metroid Prime is as hardcore focused as Nintendo gets. The Wii crowd didn't go for that kind of stuff. Mario is much more casual friendly. I think you'd struggle to find a game with Mario in the title that sold less on Wii than its gamecube equivalent.
Anyway, I think that in cases like Paper Mario it is easy to fall into echo chambers and not take into account what the majority of the market may really want outside of enthusiastic forums.

Making statements like "It's what most want" is risky.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Does that mean it's the best Mario kart game? Or that everyone wants Mario kart to be more like Mario kart wii?

No, it means it was on a ridiculously successful system, the Wii. It's very naive to think system install base doesn't have an effect on software sales.

If you want to talk about game quality then just talk about that. But when you talk about sales both SPM and Sticker Star are better selling games and there is no reason to pretend like that isn't the case using dumb stuff like rank.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
If you want to talk about game quality then just talk about that. But when you talk about sales both SPM and Sticker Star are better selling games and there is no reason to pretend like that isn't the case using dumb stuff like rank.
Nobody is debating sales numbers or pretending games sold better. Just adding context and showing that success is relative and install base has a big impact on software sales numbers.

The point is really that taking a surface glance at sales figures without context and making judgements and decisions based on that won't always work.

Edit: Probably taking this too far off topic. Better to discuss in a different thread I think.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

Yeah, I agree. Popularity and quality do not always correlate.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Neither of which will be the basis of the Switch version (thank god) because the PS4 version was further enhanced from the PS3 version (and the Vita version is just straight up SD).
The game will be tailored to the console and the file size will likely be in line with the PS3 version. It's definitely not going to look or perform like the PS4 version even if that's the basis of the port.

Nov 23, 2017
No, it sold I think twice as much as the others.

For statistics, there must be more people with nostalgia for Super Paper Mario.
That doesn't mean anything at all as to what you said originally, which is that the paper Mario fan base prefers a game like super paper Mario. Even if it's well liked the fans overwhelmingly prefer the first two.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game will be tailored to the console and the file size will likely be in line with the PS3 version. It's definitely not going to look or perform like the PS4 version even if that's the basis of the port.
it will be the basis in that it will start from the high quality source files and scale from there. it won't be as high quality as PC/PS4, but it will be better than PS3/Vita

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at what they did with Skyrim and Diablo 3, they'll port the games coming from the PS4/X1 versions.

It'll be closer to those versions than the PS3/Vita ones.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at what they did with Skyrim and Diablo 3, they'll port the games coming from the PS4/X1 versions.

It'll be closer to those versions than the PS3/Vita ones.
Right but ultimately this is speculation about the file size and I doubt it's going to be that different from the PS3 version in that regard.

I'm guessing like 12-15GB each for FFX and FFX-2 and something closer to 20GB for FFXII

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Right but ultimately this is speculation about the file size and I doubt it's going to be that different from the PS3 version in that regard.

I'm guessing like 12-15GB each for FFX and FFX-2 and something closer to 20GB for FFXII
Sounds like reasonable guess.

Dont forget that the PS3 had this weird thing that made the file size two times biggers than it needed to be.

Very often, like with FFXIII for example, the games are 2x bigger on PS3 than on X360.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like reasonable guess.

Dont forget that the PS3 had this weird thing that made the file size two times biggers than it needed to be.

Very often, like with FFXIII for example, the games are 2x bigger on PS3 than on X360.
I just don't understand why people seem to think Square Enix would have trouble fitting either port on a Switch card.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand why people seem to think Square Enix would have trouble fitting either port on a Switch card.
There was no game on a 32GB cart in the West because they are too expensive.

So if it was a 2017/2018 release, they would have needed to fit those games on a 16GB cart.

Now people are just happy to see that 32GB cart are apparently on the table, and that bigger games could make their way into the system.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I wonder if the retailer meant Thronebreaker but put Witcher 3 out of confusion. A Thronebreaker port makes sense to me. A Witcher 3 port, not as much. (Probably expensive, questionable return on investment)

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

SPM wasn't a mediocre seller AT ALL. It was one of the best selling Wii games in 2007. It sold a lot and way above every other Paper Mario game.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im pretty sure the PC version will be the basis of the port. They'd talked about the difficulties they had getting the file size down and they've also talked about how it is a previously PC version feature. There's no reason performance wise why Switch can't run the PS4 version.

Looking at your last comment it seems your point is just that they can shrink the games down from 50GB to 32GB and I agree. But they won't be using the PS3 version as the basis. They'll just compress the game more without compromising the graphics (as they've already mentioned).