• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can you please, please stop with this way off topic discussion in this thread? Open a thread (or exchange PMs) about this if you absolutely need to continue discussing this.
Huh, seems like I forgot what thread this was. Sorry about that.

Regardless, I don't think the Paper Mario series is in danger at all. It'll get announced/leaked eventually. IS is already very busy on Three Houses, whenever that releases.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
Sorry, really took it off topic. Overall, to everyone I was discussing this with, you are entitled to your decision. I personally don't think any sort of good Paper Mario game will come again. I expect the inevitable next entry on the switch to be similar to SS/CS, which I think we can all agree were sub-par. I would love to see a game that follows in the path of any of the first 3 games.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Can you please, please stop with this way off topic discussion in this thread? Open a thread (or exchange PMs) about this if you absolutely need to continue discussing this.
I swear I was ready to write this post myself, I don't get why people have to keep running these stupid arguments:

Paper Mario TTYD is considered the best in the series. Does it mean Sticker Star or Super sold poorly ? No, they sold better. End of the story.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
A few days ago ZhugeEX said to expect several more first-party Wii U ports this year aside from NSMBU Deluxe.
Sorry if we talked about this earlier, didn't see it in the archive.
It's pretty much a garuntee they will be used a fillers for months they don't have a new release planned like 2018. For every new Kirby and Mario tennis there were months where DKC TF, Bayonetta 1+2, or captain toad had to be the big release but because of that Nintendo had pretty much a game a month for the Switch at retail which is why they were the number one publisher.

Apr 21, 2018
A few days ago ZhugeEX said to expect several more first-party Wii U ports this year aside from NSMBU Deluxe.

Tokyo Mirrage Sessions
3D World
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Wonderful 101
TWW HD
Twilight Princess HD
Fatal Frame V?

Anything I'm missinf?

I'd be disappointed if Pikmin 3 was brought to switch without a Pikmin 4 announcement. I also think Super Mario Maker deserves a big sequel/upgrade.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to assume we'll get Wind Waker HD sometime soon, most likely July at the latest, going by that tease from.... I can't remember his name, haha.

I'm down for WWHD, at that point of its release I was so checked out on the Wii U. The dream of course is the "Triforce HD Collection" of WW, TP and SS in one bundle. Will never happen.

Hopefully Pikmin 3 gets the treatment as well. It deserves a much larger audience.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would kill for a Pikmin 3 remaster, but only if it meant we're still getting Pikmin 4. Pikmin is one of my favorite Nintendo franchises alongside Zelda and Animal Crossing, and I desperately need some form of Pikmin on the Switch.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Lol. They are not going to port Paper Mario. They know most people dislike it. Also the game depends too much on the GamePad.

So if you disqualify games that have already been ported, have a direct sequel on the Switch (like Splatoon and Woolly World), heavily relied on the GamePad, or just were generally poorly received, the only remaining options are:

Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Wind Waker HD
Super Mario 3D World
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Super Mario Maker
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Twilight Princess HD

... That's actually more games than I expected.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Lol. They are not going to port Paper Mario. They know most people dislike it. Also the game depends too much on the GamePad.
Color Splash is great and without gamepad it would be even better.

You guys can not discard Paper Mario Color Splash seriously and believe that The Wonderful 101 in Switch will exist, when they have practically the same reviews, sold much less and uses even more the gamepad.

(I can not even imagine the reaction of certain people if there is port and it sells well thanks to being in Switch)

Last edited:

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I hope Xenoblade Chronicles X and Tokyo Mirage Sessions come. I'd really like to check the latter out especially.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Color Splash is great and without gamepad it would be even better.

You guys can not discard Paper Mario Color Splash seriously and believe that The Wonderful 101 in Switch will exist, when they have practically the same reviews, sold much less and uses even more the gamepad.

(I can not even imagine the reaction of certain people if there is port and it sells well thanks to being in Switch)
Yeah, I don't get the logic behind dismissing a Color Splah port. It's a WiiU game nobody played because it came out when the poor thing was dead and buried, and the game reviewed well...for many people it would be a brand new HD paper mario on switch, sequel to a game that sold well on 3DS with a decent install base.

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017

jpv_13

Oct 30, 2017
Could see it being a Zelda HD Collection. Package up Windwaker and
So if you disqualify games that have already been ported, have a direct sequel on the Switch (like Splatoon and Woolly World), heavily relied on the GamePad, or just were generally poorly received, the only remaining options are:

Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Wind Waker HD
Super Mario 3D World
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Super Mario Maker
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Twilight Princess HD

... That's actually more games than I expected.

Based on that list I feel like Pikmin 3, or some type of Zelda Gamecube HD Collection of Twilight Princess and Wind Waker could make some sense.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Nintendo would be better off leaving Color Splash where it is and not port it. Now they can go back to true Paper Mario RPG on Switch.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could see it being a Zelda HD Collection. Package up Windwaker and

Based on that list I feel like Pikmin 3, or some type of Zelda Gamecube HD Collection of Twilight Princess and Wind Waker could make some sense.
I'd love Zelda HD but I just don't see it with a 2D Zelda this year. Wind Walker HD was actually one of my very top reasons for buying a Switch, but I'm happy to be patient.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
In true Nintendo-post-Federation-Force fashion we could get an announcement of a new, more traditional Paper Mario RPG along with a Color Splash port announcement.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yeah, I don't get the logic behind dismissing a Color Splah port. It's a WiiU game nobody played because it came out when the poor thing was dead and buried, and the game reviewed well...for many people it would be a brand new HD paper mario on switch, sequel to a game that sold well on 3DS with a decent install base.
Also, graphically it is fantastic, they would only have to change the combat and without the gamepad it would be better.

Not to mention that Paper Mario Switch will probably use the same engine.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This would be fine too. Port Color Splash, but also announce a real Paper Mario RPG game at the same time.

It's been a pretty good strategy so far.

"Hey, we know some of you hate X and love Y, well we're here to tell you that we will indeed be developing Y but while you're waiting for it why not give X a try?"

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been a pretty good strategy so far.

"Hey, we know some of you hate X and love Y, well we're here to tell you that we will indeed be developing Y but while you're waiting for it why not give X a try?"
Yeah it is a good strategy. Nintendo has done a better job this gen.

I bet if they announced Federation Force for Switch it'd be received better now.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Okay well, I believe a new Paper Mario has more sales potential than a Color Splash port, especially if they ditch the card mechanics and include buddies/more classic Mario Kingdom characters.

That's comparing apples and oranges. Porting a Wii U game is done because it's fast/safe/cheap to do, and Nintendo knows the end product. Developing a new product is much more expensive, takes longer time and the quality of the end product is unknown when the project starts.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I think they dont have more "big" games to porst aside from Mario 3D world and Mario Maker (and it would be weird to have 2 2D mario wiiU ports the same year).

There are more games that could be ported (TW101, Paper Mario, TMS and XCX) but I dont thing those rise much interest.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I think they dont have more "big" games to porst aside from Mario 3D world and Mario Maker (and it would be weird to have 2 2D mario wiiU ports the same year).

There are more games that could be ported (TW101, Paper Mario, TMS and XCX) but I dont thing those rise much interest.
A lot of people would probably get pretty excited about those HD Zelda remakes(though they'd be missing the Miiverse and gamepad menu features that were so good)

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
A proper fresh start could do 10 million.

haha, I love the Paper Mario franchise, and even I know that no Paper Mario would do near those numbers.

This is a case where both could work well. Color Splash was a legit great game and 2nd best of the franchise to me. It deserves to have more sales than the dead Wii U gave it. It could also fill a spot and gain some interest while they worked on a brand new game in the series which is still 2-3 years off because they are still wrapping up Three Houses.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see Nintendo porting 3D World or Mario Maker this year considering we've just had NSMB U Deluxe.

When looking at potential WiiU to Switch ports, games that don't have another instalment due this year are far more likely to be ported to diversify 2019's line up so since top down Zelda is rumoured I don't see Skyward Sword, Wind Waker or Twilight Princess releasing this year for Switch.

Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Fatal Frame: MoB and Paper Mario: Colour Splash are all strong contenders for Switch ports in 2019 imo.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
haha, I love the Paper Mario franchise, and even I know that no Paper Mario would do near those numbers.

This is a case where both could work well. Color Splash was a legit great game and 2nd best of the franchise to me. It deserves to have more sales than the dead Wii U gave it. It could also fill a spot and gain some interest while they worked on a brand new game in the series which is still 2-3 years off because they are still wrapping up Three Houses.
Paper Mario isn't 2-3 years off. Intelligent Systems has people working on multiple games. Color Splash released in 2016. We could see the next Paper Mario game next year.

Oct 27, 2017
Really hoping for a Tokyo Mirage Sessions port. Include the dlc, improves it's peformance, give it an English dub, add some costumes. This would be enough. If Atlus wants to add another dungeon, that's fine too.

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
Paper Mario isn't 2-3 years off. Intelligent Systems has people working on multiple games. Color Splash released in 2016. We could see the next Paper Mario game next year.

Truth be told, neither of us know for certain but I hope you are right. I'd love a new entry.

I still think a port would sell well and the game deserves more sales.