• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I don't know, do people look at this year's slate and say that we aren't seeing the benefits of combined console output?

This year almost matches 2013's Wii U+3DS title for title.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
2019 from June onward looks great, but January 2018-June 2019 is/was kinda rough. It used to be an unpopular opinion and seeing the opinions slowly shifting was pretty funny.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
edit: ah sorry, I didn't know that the stand alone didn't exist as a digital download. That's quite dumb.

No problem, just doublechecked right now because I thought I was being stupid when I saw your initial response :D. Maybe they want to sell all physical copies before they offer it digital as a stand-alone. Or they are being dumb and never do it. I want a seperate icon and all.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This year is the one where the consolidated software departement really takes effects and it makes total sense considering it's been two years since Switch is out and that's on average the normal development length for a mid tier game. This year has a lot of games that would otherwise be on 3DS if the Switch wasn't a thing.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, do people look at this year's slate and say that we aren't seeing the benefits of combined console output?

This year almost matches 2013's Wii U+3DS title for title.
The many recent delays aren't helping, so I'd say we have to consider 2019 and 2020 together to make a final judgment imo.

If nothing else gets a major delay for 2019, and 2020 ends up with stuff like a possible Zelda, Mario, and more,
then that would certainly point in that direction.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
For 2020 I have

-3D Zelda (hinted by King Zell)
-Bayonetta 3
-Paper Mario
-Pikmin 4
-F-Zero
-Monolith Softs new IP
-2D Metroid
-Mario + Rabbids 2 from Ubisoft
-Kirby
-Mario Golf from Camelot
-Mario Kart team with a new IP or ARMS 2
-Retro's game (could be F-Zero)

I'm not as confident in 3D Mario. I could see 3D Mario as an early 2021 title. Nintendo always wants 3D Mario and 3D Zelda at E3 for hands on play. So one or both would have to be playable at E3 2020. I think Nintendo wants to spread their release out. I have 3D Zelda holiday 2020 and 3D Mario early 2021, possibly holiday 2021.

3D Mario team could be working on another's game besides 3D Mario so it'll be fine if 3D Mario is saved for holiday 2021.

I totally expect Nintendo to sit 2020 out. They always do that for the fourth year of the console. No big stuff. Only second party games. And some space to third parties to breathe. My guess:

- 3D World port
- Pikmin 4
- "Salvaged game". It's time to Nintendo and EA join powers to revive that Star Wars game
- More games with Disney Team up (Armada of The Damned is a good option)
- Out of nowhere 2nd party sequel. I think this is either Pandora's Tower 2 or Reginleiv 2
- Ubisoft Montreal project that's definitely NOT another Starlink. New IP, most likely
- MercurySteam project. Could be another 2D Metroid but I'm hoping for a 3D Kid Icarus game.
- Pokkén 2, though I expect this not to be only Namco/Nintendo project
- Bayonetta 3 as the year's biggest release.

Third party stuff:
- Rare games from Microsoft. Banjo Trilogy and Perfect Dark games are perfect for start
- More Microsoft games. I think Fable Trilogy is a perfect fit for Zelda crowd.
- Assassin's Creed side project for Switch. I think it's time. Vita got one, why can't Switch?
- Brand new Tales game from Namco
- Something from Capcom that uses Switch as a base platform. MML3? Dino Crisis? Power Stone?
- More remasters from Capcom. RE5,RE6, Dead Rising games
- New project from Octopath guys. Not a nostalgia ridden crap, more modern looks
- Brand new Crash game from Activison. Surprisingly good.
- SMT5. Before that a Nocturne HD remaster.
- Rune Factory 5 is a full 3D sequel
- More support from Take Two and WB Games, but what could they be? I literally can't make any guesses. XCOM 2 is a good option but I'm expecting it for this year, not for 2020.

After a light 2020, I expect 2021 to explode. Odyssey 2, Let's Go 2, DP remakes (yes I expect 2 Pokémon games, something for everyone), Monolith medieval RPG, new Fire Emblem and of course Prime 4. Third party wise, we'll see that KH side project exclusively for Switch.

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana
I would really like to have Torna also digital as stand-alone, I think it would enhance its value. I would like to be able to play it without the cart of the original inserted. Same for the Octo Expansion although that is not even stand-alone physical.
edit: ah sorry, I didn't know that the stand alone didn't exist as a digital download. That's quite dumb.
No problem, just doublechecked right now because I thought I was being stupid when I saw your initial response :D. Maybe they want to sell all physical copies before they offer it digital as a stand-alone. Or they are being dumb and never do it. I want a seperate icon and all.
I don't know what you guys are on about, it's right there in the eShop with a $39.99 price.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
...it just started tho?

Nah i doubt it just started and actually I think part of Retro's pitch was probably that they could do it sooner rather than later. If they started when I think they did (late 2018) they could probably have the game out by the end of next year and that would still be the same dev time as their other prime games.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Also, From not releasing anything on switch besides an ok-ish port of DS1 is one of my biggest disappointment.

What realisticly they could port to Switch?
We could easily see DS2 port also, but anything else is not looking good for porting.

2019 from June onward looks great, but January 2018-June 2019 is/was kinda rough. It used to be an unpopular opinion and seeing the opinions slowly shifting was pretty funny.

Currently (and we still dont know hole lineup until June, Labo Kit 4 announcement proves that), only February was/looking weak, March-June look at least OK for now.
Actually I seeing opposing trend, after announcements last two months, more people think that January-June will not be bad like they thought it will be few months ago.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
What realisticly they could port to Switch?
We could easily see DS2 port also, but anything else is not looking good for porting.

Currently (and we still dont know hole lineup until June, Labo Kit 4 announcement proves that), only February was/looking weak, March-June look at least OK for now.
Actually I seeing opposing trend, after announcements last two months, more people think that January-June will not be bad like they thought it will be few months ago.

Sekiro not being on Switch is disappointing when a small studio like Ninja Theory can port the better looking Hellblade. There has been rumors for freaking Witcher 3 to release on the system and those were not dismissed as unrealistic unless by the usual console warring people (it happening would still surprise me though).

Regarding the change of opinion, I'm referring to 2018 which in a hindsight does appear to many people as a slow year (the polite way to say it kinda sucked). As for early 2019, I'm enjoying it quite a bit but certainly not thanks to Nintendo releases, at least until Mario Maker comes out. After that it's gonna be nothing short of awesome.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Sekiro not being on Switch is disappointing when a small studio like Ninja Theory can port the better looking Hellblade. There has been rumors for freaking Witcher 3 to release on the system and those were not dismissed as unrealistic unless by the usual console warring people (it happening would still surprise me though).

Regarding the change of opinion, I'm referring to 2018 which in a hindsight does appear to many people as a slow year (the polite way to say it kinda sucked). As for early 2019, I'm enjoying it quite a bit but certainly not thanks to Nintendo releases, at least until Mario Maker comes out. After that it's gonna be nothing short of awesome.

Yeah, you are right, Sekiro maybe could be ported to Switch, but again,
Sekiro develpment started in 2015. so around 2 years before Switch was even released, and around 3 years later when Switch proved it will be successful story,
so actually Sekiro announcing like Switch game with other versions would be huge suprise.

Yeah even early 2019. generaly looks stronger than early 2018.,
only thing we lack is some Nintendo release in May and Pikmin 3 port or MPT HD would perfectly fit like May release.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

lol...comparing Sekiro/Witcher3 to Hellblade in terms of the hardware resources needed.
From is busy as hell with their current projects already - unless we are talking about a Nintendo x From exclusive dont expect them to just drag and drop their current-gen titles to Switch, its not that easy.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
lol...comparing Sekiro/Witcher3 to Hellblade in terms of the hardware resources needed.
From is busy as hell with their current projects already - unless we are talking about a Nintendo x From exclusive dont expect them to just drag and drop their current-gen titles to Switch, its not that easy.

Hellblade looks better than Sekiro, runs at 30fps on base hardware, and more importantly, is made by a much smaller team with obviously more limited resources. I don't see the "lol".
As for Witcher 3, you probably didn't read my message, or didn't understand it. But ok, "lol".

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Hellblade looks better than Sekiro, runs at 30fps on base hardware, and more importantly, is made by a much smaller team with obviously more limited resources. I don't see the "lol".
As for Witcher 3, you probably didn't read my message, or didn't understand it. But ok, "lol".
"looks better" doesnt mean alot when you are talking about rendering a single charachter and limited environment.
Comparing it to something like Sekiro is ridiculous. Hellblade doesnt mean that every PS4/XBO title can be brought to Switch easily.

Anyhow - no need to keep the discussing going since i dont think that is the point of this thread.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the MHW situation other way around? A porting studio (it was Iron Galaxy, I believe) trying to reach out to Capcom to give the porting job to them over Twitter, iirc.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
February
-[15th] GoNintendo claims that the next Labo kit will have VR support (Source)
-[15th] NWR through Emily's voice believes that Nintendo could make its first VR-related announcement as early as this year, also "a small, select number of traditional first-party software titles may receive VR support in the not-so-distant future" (Source) (Era thread)
The GoNintendo rumour is confirmed, while Emily's rumour is now partially confirmed at least.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Sekiro has a lot more going on in terms of AI, physics, collision, mechanics, basically everything outside of visual effects. Also while I haven't played Hellblade yet I assume Sekiro is a lot less linear.

I don't doubt Sekiro could make it over at some point but I doubt it would be the easiest game to port. I think Dark Souls 3 will also make it over at some point. But Hellblade is a simpler, shorter and more linear game, making it generally easier to port. It helps that it's on UE4 which is natively supported by the Switch, whereas From's games are likely on their custom engine that changes slightly with each game.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's a whole bunch of confirmed rumors with the Labo Kit juste being announced but:

That one got deconfirmed by Capcom:
https://www.shacknews.com/article/1...er-world-on-nintendo-switch-will-never-happen

*shrugs shoulders*
I'm still playing Generations Ultimate and was ultimately disappointed with the 70 hours I put into world. I'm approaching 400 hours on Generations. I don't think I'd play World on the Switch. I'm more interested in a Monster Hunter built specifically for Switch. Keep the Arts and Styles.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Wasn't the MHW situation other way around? A porting studio (it was Iron Galaxy, I believe) trying to reach out to Capcom to give the porting job to them over Twitter, iirc.
Yup. Capcom said "There's no way we could ever get MHW running on the Switch," and Iron Galaxy said "Hold my beer." Capcom should just say there's no chance in hell of ever seeing MHW on the Switch because of "business reasons" instead.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Capcom said "There's no way we could ever get MHW running on the Switch," and Iron Galaxy said "Hold my beer." Capcom should just say there's no chance in hell of ever seeing MHW on the Switch because of "business reasons" instead.

IIRC that's essentially what they said. They never said it was hardware related, they used some Japanese word which translated to something like "grown up reasons". Which suggests business reasons.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to double post but I found a new rumor about a second 2D Zelda coming this year: https://www.nintendo-insider.com/rumor-second-2d-zelda-game-out-on-nintendo-switch-in-2019/

It originates from Vergeben, are we still giving him space in this archive? Since he's not the most trustworthy source I didn't think this deserved its own thread. Anyway it seems like it's going to be a smaller eShop only game and it'll release before Link's Awakening, according to the rumor.

I do recall someone else talking about a smaller eShop only Zelda game happening before Link's Awakening was revealed in the Direct but I can't remember who.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to double post but I found a new rumor about a second 2D Zelda coming this year: https://www.nintendo-insider.com/rumor-second-2d-zelda-game-out-on-nintendo-switch-in-2019/

It originates from Vergeben, are we still giving him space in this archive? Since he's not the most trustworthy source I didn't think this deserved its own thread. Anyway it seems like it's going to be a smaller eShop only game and it'll release before Link's Awakening, according to the rumor.

I do recall someone else talking about a smaller eShop only Zelda game happening before Link's Awakening was revealed in the Direct but I can't remember who.
His track record is big but inconsistent and that's why I think we should keep his rumors imo.

Thanks skittzo0413 !

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like random speculation riding on the coattails of the Link's Awakening remake.

I do remember some outlet or podcast telling people to lower their expectations about the Zelda title being announced in the last Direct since they thought it was going to be a smaller eShop only title. So either Vergeben has also heard that or he's just climbing on that bandwagon. I'll see if I can find the source of that from the pre-Direct thread.

EDIT: Hmmm this is the only thing I could find via text search-

i mean its one of the last things to be confirmed on that message Verge sent me
the May-June rumors from that reputable guy (who got Zelda wrong from that direct, now saying it was for the eShop 2D Zelda)

I thought I remembered someone talking about a predictions video or podcast where people were trying to lower the expectations for the 2D Zelda but I can't seem to find it. Maybe someone else will remember it.

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

don't care who the rumor is from but a 2nd 2D Zelda this year is utterly ridiculous lol

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Sounds like random speculation riding on the coattails of the Link's Awakening remake.
I won't give any credibility to the rumor, but it's really reasonable for Nintendo to use that engine to remake several older zelda games. I would love to see Original Zelda, Oracle of Ages, and Oracle of Seasons remade in that.

Same note, I'd love to see a port up of Link between Worlds and LTTP in the Link between worlds engine on Switch.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After the success of Tetris 99 we're going to see Legend of Zelda 99 Swords Adventure.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC that's essentially what they said. They never said it was hardware related, they used some Japanese word which translated to something like "grown up reasons". Which suggests business reasons.

It sounds more like "we're doing something else for Switch, no need for that" instead of "We don't want to support Switch at this time". Knowing Capcom, they would never miss a chance like that. There has to be something else planned.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I won't give any credibility to the rumor, but it's really reasonable for Nintendo to use that engine to remake several older zelda games. I would love to see Original Zelda, Oracle of Ages, and Oracle of Seasons remade in that.
Sure, but I'd imagine they would save that for another year. Link's Awakening is almost enough to be a holiday tentpole IMO, even if it is a straight remake.