• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Gave in and downloaded Japanese demo.

Questions.

What does red and blue dots mean? Can you stroke with either hand whenever? I get blue seems to be hitting side of drum. Any difference with motion controls?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Gave in and downloaded Japanese demo.

Questions.

What does red and blue dots mean? Can you stroke with either hand whenever? I get blue seems to be hitting side of drum. Any difference with motion controls?
Yeah, (based on the arcade game) Red means hit the drum center, blue means hit the edge, large dot means hit with both sticks at the same time. Aside from large drum you can hit with either hand.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So the OP is right and English is confirmed in the Japanese version with the day one patch? No need to wait for SEA version? Well I'm hyped.

Randroid

Oct 28, 2017
Shame that the motion controls don't seem to work so well. I bought the PS4 version with the drums last year but that thing barely works. So I don't play it as much as I'd like to because of all the missing notes. Was hoping motion controls would fair better but I guess not?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The motion controls feel great...when they work. The game has two motions you need to do, swipe down to hit the center of the drum, swipe diagonally down and to the side to hit the edge. That one is hard as heck to do reliably, especially with your off-hand. I've gotten used to it, but it's still hard. I can do the center hit with a light flick, but for me the edge hit needs a forceful side-swipe, which is hard to do quickly. I'll likely never be as good as in the arcade; in arcade I can do Evangelion on hard difficulty, this, not so much. Still fun though, and a good work out.

Note, if you are playing on tv, don't forget to adjust the timing to fix video lag; I had to set mine to -25 to match the audio.

ladyluthien

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a blast with the game so far, can't wait for the English patch.
Love the joy-con use, but I feel like I have to flick my wrist a bit too much to get the hits recognized. I definitely won't be able to play this for more then a few songs at the time. Don't want to risk damaging my wrists from the flicks lol!
I'm hoping with future updates, they can iron out some of the joy-con connectivity, so then I don't have to flick so harshly.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What's the best way to get this? I heard that non-JP credit cards don't work anymore on the JP eShop ???

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
What's the best way to get this? I heard that non-JP credit cards don't work anymore on the JP eShop ???
I set my default Amazon Japan address to a forwarding address (tenso.com can provide these if you don't already have one) and bought the digital download. I was a little surprised that it doesn't even give a code, but all I had to do was log out of my US Nintendo Account and log into my JP one, then click through the link provided in the email/at the end of checkout.

If you don't mind paying a little more over the exchange price in yen, you can always buy eShop wallet codes from a reputable seller as well.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I buy eshop cards from Play-Asia. Only problem there is you will have money left over in the account forever. The other option is to buy the physical version of the game from like Amazon.

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what this guy does differently, to explain his perfect run?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA_nkh-i5Q

Any idea?
You mean the motion controls? He still drops some notes so it's not perfect (still crazy impressive) but after I tried the demo I'm pretty sure the motion controls are assisted. If the note you're trying to hit is red, ambiguous motions will register as red and vice versa for blue. So he's basically hitting however he wants and as long as his red hits are somewhat straight and his blue hits are a bit off center it works because the game knows what note he's trying to hit to begin with

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I played the demo for a bit, the joycons seemed to not always to register my beats, sometimes not even getting feedback and I was drumming on top of my switch, also used the screen itself which is also a bit unpredictable.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Buying the game code for less money using Amazon JP *Dont since the Amazon Strike*
No money left in your account, you get the game and a DLC

oh.
The payment went through, now I'm supposed to wait for play asia CS to call me for a verification... should have went with amazon.

EDIT: They finally called. It's really difficult to understand their english tho. Anyways, I'm currently downloading the game! See ya on the other side :)

Last edited:

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought it.

So either there's an easy timing mode or something that I'm missing or the tv lag for the PS4 version has been messing with my timing this whole time, because this was my first time playing this song ever:

QIcCRqu.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought it.

So either there's an easy timing mode or something that I'm missing or the tv lag for the PS4 version has been messing with my timing this whole time, because this was my first time playing this song ever:

every playable character except don-chan and katsu-chan have some kind of play assist. kirby makes timing easier. as far as i hear there's no way to turn it off, unfortunately

Yari

Oct 25, 2017

I think this is the first vid I have seen with the switch drums. Although they probably look just like the PS4 ones.

PockyWitch

Oct 27, 2017
This is fun! Just wish the motion controls weren't so wonky. Not sure if it's my joycons but I do keep getting hits where it registers a single "swipe" as two hits.
Had the same issue with gal metal, although not as bad as here. (And no, i don't actually swing all that crazy)

Oct 27, 2017
With the rumors that this is coming to the west, I might hold off.

But there it sits, in my amazon.co.jp shopping cart....

ALSO -- If (really, when) I do import this, how do I download DLC? Will it take my USD credit, or do I have to jump through hoops in order to purchase DLC?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
fyi, there's once again an official survey for people who purchased the game. you need your access key to access it, which you can get from the options screen for the game on the switch home menu.

if you have performance issues, features you'd like to see or song requests, definitely let them know! the survey is in japanese, but an english response is still better than nothing.

http://enq.bandainamcoid.com/spn/enq.php?id=taiko_sw

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it. With the dang drum. I have to have this. (English version possibly coming is fine, since the tracklist will most likely be completely different. Might buy that one as well just for that difference alone.)

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not feeling the joycon controls. It's very unresponsive. Especially the right hand one(?) very weird. Also is it me or does this not have a latency setting, I remember for most rhythm games you would be able to set a ms delay after hitting notes a few times. Rockband and Guitar Hero had this, for TVs and such.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not feeling the joycon controls. It's very unresponsive. Especially the right hand one(?) very weird. Also is it me or does this not have a latency setting, I remember for most rhythm games you would be able to set a ms delay after hitting notes a few times. Rockband and Guitar Hero had this, for TVs and such.
That's worrisome.

Oct 25, 2017

there's offset options in the settings, you just have to set it manually

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
The motion controls feel great...when they work. The game has two motions you need to do, swipe down to hit the center of the drum, swipe diagonally down and to the side to hit the edge. That one is hard as heck to do reliably, especially with your off-hand. I've gotten used to it, but it's still hard. I can do the center hit with a light flick, but for me the edge hit needs a forceful side-swipe, which is hard to do quickly. I'll likely never be as good as in the arcade; in arcade I can do Evangelion on hard difficulty, this, not so much. Still fun though, and a good work out.

Note, if you are playing on tv, don't forget to adjust the timing to fix video lag; I had to set mine to -25 to match the audio.

Adjusting the setting definitely helps