thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
$40 for 1080p and so that I don't have to turn on my PS3 and use my rickety ass PS3 controllers.

I guess but only because I'm a huge fan and sort of a chump.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
At this point I am almost sure they lost the source code for the NGC version, and that's why they keep using the PS2 version.
Is that, or they don't really want to work into adding the PS2 content into the NGC version and then remaster that version.

Sometimes these old games are designed around frame rates so it's not easy to bump it up to 60FPS.

Sure, but this game was actually designed and first released at 60fps.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Just remake the game at this point Bamco, I guarantee you will make back what you spent, and then some.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I could live with it being the PS2 version once again, but what baffles me is that PS3 got Symphonia and Symphonia 2 for similar pricing that they are trying to sell one.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Just absolutely embarrassing to release a "remaster" of a GCN game that runs at half the frame rate on the damn PS4.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Well, looks like they just lost the sale, then. I was very excited to finally have a remastered version running at 60fps with the expanded content from the Playstation version.

Bamco, what the fuck?

ditusjack

Oct 26, 2017
So, how much are people betting on this version fixing things the Tales of Symphonia "Fix" patch remediate?

image.png

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I'd have to imagine the engine code is a big enough mess (For example, Symphonia PS2 had two extra anime cutscenes because Bamco straight up said PS2 was having having issues doing certain scenes in-engine) that they don't even want to put the extra time and effort into sorting it out. Abyss PS2 runs on a modified version of the same engine (and does have 60fps combat, hilariously enough) but is a veritable mess under the hood from what I understand, so I guess that checks out.

Still disappointing since Vesperia's remaster was honestly pretty great across the board in those regards. Should've just done a remake at this point, honestly.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
If there's any slight changes to the game hopefully they get patched into the PC version at least. Would like to play it but the special k release that "fixes" some of it's issues also gave me nothing but a black screen whenever an anime cutscenes showed, including the opening so it more or less made it even worse.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
So, how much are people betting on this version fixing things the Tales of Symphonia "Fix" patch remediate?

image.png
So far this is all I found in the Japanese Website so it's not looking good:

- You can skip cutscenes now
- Improved controls for Elemental Cargo (the ship you use in Tethe'alla)
- The save menu/screen has been changed
- 30 FPS (Yes I'm not kidding they are advertising this as a good point of this game)

Source: https://tosre-nowagain.tales-ch.jp/

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I knew it was going to be a slapdash port of the PS3 version. The texture work does appear to be a little better, though.

PS3 version:

tos-ps340drk.jpg

PS4 version:

tos-ps4oicad.jpg

Not sure if they just went over the textures with a sharpening filter, or if it's just due to the higher screen resolution, but the building in the back looks a lot sharper. One thing I noticed is that the PS3 version removed the thick black outline from the character models that was in the Gamecube original version, but there was a bug where weapons still had that thick outline. You can see that bug is still in the PS4 version. I would wager to guess the god-awful buzzing of the roller coaster in Altamira won't be fixed, either.

This was helpful to see, thank you. I wasn't sure if there was a reason to consider getting this version if I owned the PS3 version already.

That said, as much as I loved this game back in the day I'm not sure if the character models gel with me anymore, lol. Not to sound snobbish by any means. I just thought they looked super weird this go around in the reveal when I didn't have any issue with them years ago. Maybe it wouldn't matter as much on a smaller screen if I got it on Switch and played in handheld with the OLED screen.

I think I'll wait for a sale though. Now if we could just get a nice remaster of Abyss I'd likely bite on it immediately.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
30FPS... this is really sad for a Remaster, game was good in its time but I dunno if it aged well enough.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
I guess we will only get the superior version if it ever releases in the future GC NSO. Why does it have to be like this?

Oh. Haha. Oh well then.
The remaster is based of the PS2 port of the gamecube original, which was limited to 30fps. Unfortunately even the PC version of Symphonia can't be increased to 60 because supposedly the game logic of the PS2/remastered version is very tied to the framerate. Someone tried and it caused a lot of weird bugs like NPC models in the overworld making freaky flailing movements constantly.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
The remaster is based of the PS2 port of the gamecube original, which was limited to 30fps. Unfortunately even the PC version of Symphonia can't be increased to 60 because supposedly the game logic of the PS2/remastered version is very tied to the framerate. Someone tried and it caused a lot of weird bugs like NPC models in the overworld making freaky flailing movements constantly.
I remember that here's an old video about it:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QPBSeIvJt8

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
LOL, if a PS2/Gamecube game, can't be running at 4k/ 60fps, THREE console generations later, than it isn't remastered. Also LOL considering I bought this same product (also packaged with Symphonia 2 ) for like $5 back on PS3 which I can still play today.

I mean... I guess there are low effort ports and now with this there are NO effort ports.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
out of all the remasters of japan-only tales games they remastered a game that already has a remaster.

this is not what remasters are supposed to be about..

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
out of all the remasters of japan-only tales games they remastered a game that already has a remaster.

this is not what remasters are supposed to be about..

Symphonia is by far the most popular Tales game worldwide. IIRC it's the only one that's broken a million copies across its releases. Which is why they keep going back to it.

It stinks especially given that Graces really deserves a remaster more.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Symphonia is by far the most popular Tales game worldwide. IIRC it's the only one that's broken a million copies across its releases. Which is why they keep going back to it.

It stinks especially given that Graces really deserves a remaster more.

Your numbers are definitely off quite a bit, 11 games in the main series have sold over a million (4 of which have passed 2 million), and Vesperia is actually the highest selling one so far.

Mar 11, 2020
Is it bad i'd rather have Legendia at this point?

I really wouldn't mind it and have it redubbed so it actually has the voice-acting the whole way through the game.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Bamco only having their source code to the PS2 version...too bad GC is the only one that has the 60fps. Would have enjoyed picking this up. Probably will eventually