Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Is the ps2 content even worth it? Wild since Dolphin can run this at 1080p 60fps on a 5 year old cell phone at this point.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
The fact that you could emulate the Gamecube game at a better framerate and resolution on a Series S is kind of silly. They really couldn't do any extra work on this remaster to at least up the framerate and resolution?

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I can even understand changing the framerate being too much of a hassle if it's too ingrained in the programming and they don't have the code for the GC version. But I played this at 4K on a GTX 970 in 2017.

There is no excuse for 1080p.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
It seems like the only point of this "remaster" is to make money without costing Bamco too much. Disappointing because it's a favorite among many 'Tales of' fans.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand the "I'd rather die than play something under 60fps" crowd. I mean, 60 looks fantastic, of course. But acting as if anything less is unplayable is snobbish horse shit.

Is the ps2 content even worth it? Wild since Dolphin can run this at 1080p 60fps on a 5 year old cell phone at this point.
iirc the major differences were some new standard artes, new mystic artes for party members that didn't have them before, and a post game dungeon with some new optional bosses. It's up to you whether that's important, I personally wish we could have the best of worlds, but that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
iirc the major differences were some new standard artes, new mystic artes for party members that didn't have them before, and a post game dungeon with some new optional bosses. It's up to you whether that's important, I personally wish we could have the best of worlds, but that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon
Unless I'm mistaken it's not even a post-game dungeon, but a handful of rematches in the evil book in the library.

Sure. And I get that some people can be more sensitive than others, but 30 has always felt solid to me. I would say Hyrule Warriors: AoC was a title where I was like Okay, this framerate is really bad.
30 is fine I've just played this game over a dozen times at 60.

I'll never understand the "I'd rather die than play something under 60fps" crowd. I mean, 60 looks fantastic, of course. But acting as if anything less is unplayable is snobbish horse shit.
Tales is an action based game, the original gamecube version ran at 60. 30 fps doesn't make the game unplayable, but it's absolutely understandable why people are frustrated about this.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I guess they're using a single spec across the board because I don't know why it's capped at 1080p on everything when the PC version can go higher without third party fixes from what I remember. Suppose it's basically a "just get it working" port job, unfortunately.

I see on the site they added a cutscene skip feature which is kinda nice and I don't think has been added to any version of the game until now. I wonder if they'll update the PC version with that or if they've just completely abandoned it.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
At this point I am almost sure they lost the source code for the NGC version, and that's why they keep using the PS2 version.
Is that, or they don't really want to work into adding the PS2 content into the NGC version and then remaster that version.

Sure, but this game was actually designed and first released at 60fps.

The PS2 porting effort could potentially fuck everything up when they made it 30fps. Given that this is based on PS2 it is somewhat expected. It would take some amount of effort to fix it* up to 60fps depending on how fucked up the code is, though maybe considerably less than some PS2 native 30fps games.

*: I mean every module in the game and make it QA proof quality

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
To be fair, the game's original release was 60fps. I know this is based on the 30fps PS2 version, but if you played on the GameCube, the change is going to be jarring.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Its perfectly reasonable to not want to play action games at 30 fps when you've grown used to 60. It feels smoother, looks better and you absolutely can tell the difference when you play. It's not easy to go back. Two of my favorite games of all time are Breath of the Wild and Bloodborne, but I find them difficult to go back to nowadays after picking up a gaming PC and PS5 and getting used to 60 FPS. There's nothing snobbish about having a preference.

The problem here though is not just that it's 30 FPS, it's that there already is a version that's 60 FPS and this remaster doesn't even hit that.

MoxManiac

Nov 17, 2017
On top of everything else said in this thread, wasn't the ps3 release also 40 and included the (awful?) sequel?

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017

It's not us being snobbish about 30 versus 60, it's us being used to 60 (which was achievable on a plastic lunchbox in 2005) and then all of a sudden the game looks like a slideshow on more powerful hardware.

It's us wondering why the fuck a remaster on modern hardware can't do something we could do 20 years ago.

Is it unplayable at 30? No. But it's also not worth playing because I can get an objectively better experience with the Gamecube version through Dolphin, with all the bells and whistles.

Also they are massively overcharging. For this price on PS3, the sequel was included.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
On top of everything else said in this thread, wasn't the ps3 release also 40 and included the (awful?) sequel?
Yeah. You could buy them individually for $19.99 (digitally) or together for $39.99 (digitally or physically). The game is also $19.99 on PC when it isn't on sale. This is double the price with minimal gain.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I'll buy this when it's $10 then, what a joke.

I'm actually going to buy it anyway, 30 FPS is fine, still dumb though that we can't get 60 in 2022.

Last edited:

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that it's unplayable, it's that this is a very poor value proposition.
You can say that about a lot of remasters of older games. Especially series with as many entries as Tales. Personally, I find that older games tend to get left in the dust in terms of features; both game mechanics and quality of life stuff. Symphonia was one of my favorites, but I already bought it on two platforms and don't really have the desire to do it again.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I usually don't really care if a game is 30fps or 60fps, but I don't understand why it would be downgraded to 30 on much more powerful hardware and with no significant upgrades to the game from what I can tell.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
You can say that about a lot of remasters of older games.
And? It's not like whatever those are would be free from criticism.
I usually don't really care if a game is 30fps or 60fps, but I don't understand why it would be downgraded to 30 on much more powerful hardware and with no significant upgrades to the game from what I can tell.
It's based on the PS2 version which tied game logic to framerate.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
So wait, is this an actual Remaster, or is it a port of a Remaster?
It seems to be a straight a port of the PS3 version, which was a $20 remaster that came first in a bundle of both a remaster of Symphonia and a remaster of its sequel Dawn of the New World for $40. Said remaster was also ported to the PC long ago for a standard price of $20. You can get it from GamesPlanet right now for $5 if you're interested and we have no reason to think the new console versions will be any different. I highly recommend doing so and using the Tales of Symphonia Fix mod rather than supporting Namco for charging double the price for the same game 10 years later. Emulating the Gamecube version is also arguably the best experience if you value 60fps in your action battles.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Just remake the game at this point Bamco, I guarantee you will make back what you spent, and then some.
If they did it in the Arise engine, I'd buy it day one. Sure, I used to shit all over the game back in the day since I accurately predicted the whole plot within the first two hours of playing, but Arise's combat is fun as shit.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yeah. You could buy them individually for $19.99 (digitally) or together for $39.99 (digitally or physically). The game is also $19.99 on PC when it isn't on sale. This is double the price with minimal gain.
I don't remember how much I paid for the physical copy that I bought later, but I got the digital version of both Symphonia and Dawn of the New World for $10 (not $10 each; $10 for both games) in the Golden Week sale on PSN in 2014, barely 6 months after release. $40 for just Symphonia now is insulting.

Last edited:

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
That 60fps video is the funniest thing I've seen in a good while.

It's quite frankly appalling that this is being served up, the game has a huge following and deserves much better treatment.

Holmes

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So far this is all I found in the Japanese Website so it's not looking good:

- You can skip cutscenes now
- Improved controls for Elemental Cargo (the ship you use in Tethe'alla)
- The save menu/screen has been changed
- 30 FPS (Yes I'm not kidding they are advertising this as a good point of this game)

Source: https://tosre-nowagain.tales-ch.jp/
Well…. skipping cutscenes is huge for trophies hunters. 4 playthroughs and all.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're obviously just taking all the time they had for this game for Tales of Abyss right guys........ right??