• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I expect some hiccups, it'll run better than xb2 for sure though. I also expect handheld to have some resolution issue like the PS3 had. But will probably run smoother than that version.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If FighterZ can run at 60FPS undocked on Switch, they shouldn't have any problems with Vesperia.
Not sure if that's a good comparison. Shining Resonance and Ys VIII are probably closer in proximity and run 30 fps with occasional frame drops below that. That's more along the lines I'm expecting. It's a four player RPG with multiple enemies on the screen, not a 3 v 3 tag out fighting game.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if that's a good comparison. Shining Resonance and Ys VIII are probably closer in proximity and run 30 fps with occasional frame drops below that. That's more along the lines I'm expecting. It's a four player RPG with multiple enemies on the screen, not a 3 v 3 tag out fighting game.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking and why I asked. Hopefully the switch will run just fine but it's also having problems maintaining 60 fps with dead cells, so I feel like it's possible there will be some compromises on the switch unless BandaiNamco optimizes the hell out of it and I don't see that in the cards.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
You really replied to me just to bitch about my question?
Yeah, that's what I was thinking and why I asked. Hopefully the switch will run just fine but it's also having problems maintaining 60 fps with dead cells, so I feel like it's possible there will be some compromises on the switch unless BandaiNamco optimizes the hell out of it and I don't see that in the cards.

How dare you post a question about Switch based on prior hardware history?

Raijinken

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly do not see the Switch running battles smoothly if Rita is in the party, mainly because of the amount effects her spalls have. I know Tidalwave spam caused some issues on the 360 but not on the PS3.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The OG Vesperia ran at 60 fps in battles on the XB360. Switch should easily do similarly in handheld. Overworld might still be 30 fps.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I'd be surprised if this isn't 30 fps for the most part on Switch - did the battles on PS3 ran at 60? But who cares as long as I get my portable JRPG fix.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot to preorder this on Amazon UK and now both the Switch and PS4 versions are currently unavailable. Xbox is still available though.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The OG Vesperia ran at 60 fps in battles on the XB360. Switch should easily do similarly in handheld. Overworld might still be 30 fps.
The Naruto Storm games are early PS3 gen games and run significantly worse on handheld. Like 30 fps and 540p or something ridiculous like that. So there's a precedent for Switch not running games at optimal conditions, even from last gen games.

Oct 26, 2017
My guess is for Switch:

900p 60fps docked
720p (maybe 540p) 60fps portable.

I'm using BN's previous Switch games as a comparison, since Xenoverse 2 and Naruto were exactly these in res.

1080p 60fps docked would be pretty damn impressive IMO. But how many PS360 games do this on Switch?

I guess the RE Revelations games? But those are actually more based on their PS4 and XBO counterparts and are definitely not super good in performance/consistency IIRC.

Oct 29, 2017

Overworld will probably be 30FPS on all platforms, going by Namco's past history with Tales ports (gameplay is always tied to FPS, so they never improve the framerate when porting).

Switch should have absolutely no issues running this game at 1080p/720p (60FPS in battles, 30FPS in overworld). It's an early 360 game that didn't even push the boat out on that hardware back then. If they don't manage it on Switch, then Namco are doing something very very wrong.

1080p 60fps docked would be pretty damn impressive IMO. But how many PS360 games do this on Switch

That wouldn't be impressive at all. Going from 720p to 1080p docked with Wii U ports at at least the same FPS is the standard performance delta; and Wii U is already a notable leap over PS360 anyway.

Dark Souls Remastered actually does more than this, going from sub HD to full 1080p, with significantly improved performance. RE:R 1 & 2 also have a res bump to 1080p with improved visuals and frame rate too. Skyrim Switch also runs circles around the PS360 versions as well.

Last edited:

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Overworld will probably be 30FPS on all platforms, going by Namco's past history with Tales ports (gameplay is always tied to FPS, so they never improve the framerate when porting).

Switch should have absolutely no issues running this game at 1080p/720p (60FPS in battles, 30FPS in overworld). It's an early 360 game that didn't even push the boat out on that hardware back then. If they don't manage it on Switch, then Namco are doing something very very wrong.
You say that, but as stated above, this is the same company that made another early PS3 game run 900p/540p on Switch, so who knows. I hope for the best, but I'm expecting the worst right now.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
You say that, but as stated above, this is the same company that made another early PS3 game run 900p/540p on Switch, so who knows. I hope for the best, but I'm expecting the worst right now.

I think back in the day and this was based of the demo the ps3 was running at 1280 x 576. The xbox 360 they added some kind of blur filter

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
1080p 60fps docked would be pretty damn impressive IMO.
Impressive for a low-effort port. Smash, Mario Kart, Arms... are all 1080@60 and look far better than Vesperia.

Unless the game has lots of graphics improvements compared to 360/Ps3, and the E3 trailer didn't show anything new, I don't see why Switch can run it at 1080@60 fps docked, aside from lack of real effort.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I think using the Naruto Storm games as reference for performance barometer on Tales Vesperia Definitive Edition is a bit poor.

For one thing Tales of Vesperia was developed in-house by Namco themselves so they have more quality control over the end result, keep in mind the Naruto UNS games were developed by CC2 and they tend to favor more visual spectacle over framerate. While Vesperia is the best looking Tales game it still pushed to maintain 60 FPS during combat.

Keep mind the Definitive Edition is based on the PS3 version going by it's content and if the past of other Tales re-releases are to be considered (Tales of Symphonia), then I expect a similar result here.

The PS3 Tales of Vesperia had a native res of 1280x576, Xbox 360 is 1280x720. Both were 30 FPS outside of battle and 60 FPS in battle.

It is not some insurmountable effort for the Switch to at least maintain parity with the 360 version in terms of resolution and framerate in handheld mode. Bare in mind, the Wii U had slightly more hardware grunt over the 360, and the Switch is slightly more powerful over the Wii U, so hardware capability should not be consideration here.

Of course the biggest question of all is who is doing the porting work for Tales of Vesperia DE. If it's in-house Namco, good they shouldn't screw this up. If it's some outsourcing company, then it good reason to be concerned and one would hope they actually put enough care into the project that performance for ANY of the current platforms isn't an issue.

Oct 26, 2017
Of course the biggest question of all is who is doing the porting work for Tales of Vesperia DE. If it's in-house Namco, good they shouldn't screw this up. If it's some outsourcing company, then it good reason to be concerned and one would hope they actually put enough care into the project that performance for ANY of the current platforms isn't an issue.

Wild guess is Tri-Crescendo. They've worked on most recent entries and did the Symphonia HD collection.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Namco Tales Studio wasn't in-house actually. And plenty of Vesperia's staff didn't join Bandai Namco Studios when the former was dissolved.

It was Team Symphonia that developed Vesperia.

I wasn't talking about Namco Tales Studio but rather Namco proper.

In the context of an IP which Namco has direct hands on with some of their actual internal staff as opposed to being outsourced to an outside developer that is completely independent from Namco entirely. Such is the case with CC2 with the Naruto Storm games or Level 5 with Ni No Kuni.

If Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition is also handled in the same manner and isn't outsourced to a porting house, being that a level of quality control is achieved that results in the re-release not having issues. At least that is what one would hope.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
It was Team Symphonia that developed Vesperia.

I wasn't talking about Namco Tales Studio but rather Namco proper.

In the context of an IP which Namco has direct hands on with some of their actual internal staff as opposed to being outsourced to an outside developer that is completely independent from Namco entirely. Such is the case with CC2 with the Naruto Storm games or Level 5 with Ni No Kuni.

If Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition is also handled in the same manner and isn't outsourced to a porting house, being that a level of quality control is achieved that results in the re-release not having issues. At least that is what one would hope.
"Team Symphonia" was development team #1 at Namco Tales Studio. There were three development teams there. Until its dissolution at the end of 2011 Namco Tales Studio, while fully owned, was physically and legally separate from Bandai Namco. Part of the staff was first absorbed by Bandai Namco Games, then in April 2012 by the newly formed Bandai Namco Studios. Until then the only Tales game developed in-house at Namco proper was Tales of Legendia.

Most late Tales ports were outsourced anyway.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Can't wait to try the battles on PC

If you can unlock the frame rate, Tales combat at 165hz with g-sync should be amazing. It's an older game so most dedicated GPUs will probably be able to get over 60fps I'd guess

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Are they going to have to recast Yuri to voice the new stuff or will they be able to get Troy Baker?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
"Team Symphonia" was development team #1 at Namco Tales Studio. There were three development teams there. Until its dissolution at the end of 2011 Namco Tales Studio, while fully owned, was physically and legally separate from Bandai Namco. Part of the staff was first absorbed by Bandai Namco Games, then in April 2012 by the newly formed Bandai Namco Studios. Until then the only Tales game developed in-house at Namco proper was Tales of Legendia.

Most late Tales ports were outsourced anyway.

I wonder how this will effect Tales of Vesperia DE then.

I'd think because Tales of Vesperia DE is releasing simultaneously on all platforms it shouldn't have performance issues.

I mean Tales of Berseria and Zestiria had a simultaneous console and PC release and because of that support and patches of any issues rolled out equally.

There doesn't seem to be a case like what happened with Tales of Symphonia re-release. At least that is what I'm hoping for. Even so I don't really forsee the Switch having issues running this game.

There isn't any other Tales-like game on the Switch outside of Shining Resonance I compare to at least.

Are they going to have to recast Yuri to voice the new stuff or will they be able to get Troy Baker?

Troy said the lines of the PS3 content were already recorded just were never used. There is a video interview floating around in which he confirmed the extra dialog was recorded years ago and it just was never used.