Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Anybody happen to have the rtings settings laying around without having to watch the YouTube? Changed inputs to use arc with a new rec and removed my old setup when I removed the input it looks like.

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody happen to have the rtings settings laying around without having to watch the YouTube? Changed inputs to use arc with a new rec and removed my old setup when I removed the input it looks like.
Here are mine from watching that youtube video when I got mine:

Picture Mode: Movie
Local C Off
Dynamic C Off
Cool
Then use Roku app and expert setting. Set Gamma to 2.2

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
The 75" 6-series is available to pick up at my local BB. $1,799 is a bit in the high side though, imo.

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
All of a sudden I no longer get the HDR notification when watching 4k movies on ps4 pro. notifications is on and hdmi is at 2.0

stryfee

Apr 30, 2018
Here are mine from watching that youtube video when I got mine:

Picture Mode: Movie
Local C Off
Dynamic C Off
Cool
Then use Roku app and expert setting. Set Gamma to 2.2

Thanks for this. What's everyone else's settings for gaming? I'll post mine later when I get home.

I wish Vincent teoh would drop his but he has limited time the tv due to region.

RedFury

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here play Destiny 2? Cant get HDR settings to look decent. Looks washed out and to dark in some areas.

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
In the division 2 they have an hdr setting that asks for hdr peak brightness. Default was at 1000. What should it be set to for this display?

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
So my 1X informed me this afternoon that I should be able to turn on some advanced video settings, and sure enough, it looks like my P-series auto-updated to version 9 today.

The X now allows me turn on Dolby Vision and, surprisingly, auto game mode. I haven't done any testing as XBL seems down for me, but I'll report back when I can.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Vision didn't work for me on X1. I enabled it, and went to Netflix but it was SUPER WASHED OUT. Turned it off and stuck with HDR10.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My R617 updated and it also supports auto game mode and Dolby Vision on Xbox One! Don't really play games on my One anymore, but it'll be nice to set the TV to the 48hz mode without having to forget to turn it off when I do play games! Had a time when I played Far Cry 5 with it on for an embarrassing amount of time before I realized game mode was off!

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
So my 1X informed me this afternoon that I should be able to turn on some advanced video settings, and sure enough, it looks like my P-series auto-updated to version 9 today.

The X now allows me turn on Dolby Vision and, surprisingly, auto game mode. I haven't done any testing as XBL seems down for me, but I'll report back when I can.

Thanks for the heads up, got the update too! Wish that 4K BR had DV though.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hey guys, I got a p607 and Xbox one s

Any recommendations for settings, to look best without hdr, and with hdr?

Would the hdr settings work good for both games on Xbox and movies on Xbox? Thanks

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Bought a 65DP660 the other day. Did some quick calibration yesterday and I really like the picture quality. Haven't tried gaming on it yet. I have tried finding calibrated settings for the DP660 or other European versions but have not been that lucky. Gonna try the THX Tune up android app some day and see if it give me something.
I wanted to buy the LG C9 weith HDMI 2.1 but not worth the cost until receivers get HDMI 2.1 and GPU:s as well. So this will do until HDMI 2.1 becomes standard.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else come to the conclusion that this TV just does not do HDR well? I have a 55P605 and just disabled it altogether for gaming. I just don't think it looks any better, sometimes worse. I have gone through every possible setting/config option I've seen online trying to make it wow me, and sell me on HDR, but it has not.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Anyone else come to the conclusion that this TV just does not do HDR well? I have a 55P605 and just disabled it altogether for gaming. I just don't think it looks any better, sometimes worse. I have gone through every possible setting/config option I've seen online trying to make it wow me, and sell me on HDR, but it has not.

I've got that set, looks gorgeous on Forza Horizon 4 and MK11(beta). Tetris Effect looks great also.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I've got that set, looks gorgeous on Forza Horizon 4 and MK11(beta). Tetris Effect looks great also.

Have you flipped beteern HDR on/off and compared? I've tried all of those and like others, everything just look duller to me regardless of settings. I'm satisfied with the set in SDR, but honestly can't see a positive difference with HDR to make me want to use it. Do you have Injustice 2 by any chance? That one does some funky stuff w/ Black Manta's eye color in HDR.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Have you flipped beteern HDR on/off and compared? I've tried all of those and like others, everything just look duller to me regardless of settings. I'm satisfied with the set in SDR, but honestly can't see a positive difference with HDR to make me want to use it. Do you have Injustice 2 by any chance? That one does some funky stuff w/ Black Manta's eye color in HDR.
I just can't understand this, the difference to
me is the biggest leap since set to HD. I mean it's a world of difference. The wide color gamut alone is amazing.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

I'll install it tonight and check it out.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I've never gotten that effect on my 55P605. The lighting is better, but nothing pops anymore with HDR.

It's weird. On both Injustice 2 and MK11 beta, enabling HDR causes the colors to look off. I'm not expecting more saturated colors, just not the colors looking off/worse in HDR. Look at the yellow health bars in MKX or the yellow color in the lifebars with damage in Inj2 when switching HDR on/off. Also with default Black Manta, his red eyes on the placeholder pic on the select screen turn washed out cream color when the real time model loads in. Both on PS4 and Xbox. There's definitely some weirdness happening.

I really would love to see two of this same set next to each other w/ the same content to compare directly because as much as I want this set to look awesome w/ HDR on, something seems off.

I do have HDMI 2.0 selected on my TV for these inputs, and it's repotting functioning HDR capability on the systems.

I'll install it tonight and check it out.

Thanks. Check out the Black Manta thing above when his model loads in. When I set the HDR brightness setting higher in game via the cofig, his default costume eye color change is more pronounced.

Last edited:

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
It's a shame the TVs TCL releases in Australia aren't the same. Makes finding proper review and comparisons really difficult.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I have to question whether or not the TV is broken every time I see someone say the HDR is bad and makes colors look washed out on the TCL. It's a huge step up to my eyes. I agree with Liquidsnake that it's the biggest leap since HD. I do notice sometimes that games will wash colors or lights out when transitioning into or out of dark areas but it's always short lasting (like seconds) which makes me curious if something gets stuck in that loop. Certainly some games have poorer implementation of HDR but basically across the board, games have FAR better lighting and much more realistic colors. Perhaps that why too; those that say things look washed out only perceive it that way because they're used to, and prefer, a setting like "vibrant" which to my eyes looks like shit but certainly "pops" color wise

I don't mean to dismiss anyone not seeing the difference though. I just don't think it's possible unless something is wrong

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
HDR generally makes mine look really washed out too, but I've had nothing but problems with mine since I got it so it might just be a lemon. It got stuck in an update loop, and I was forced to do a factory reset. It won't update anymore. It also turns on randomly, and I have to turn it off two to three times just to get it to stay off. My settings also get reset randomly when using a game that has HDR enabled on the XBX.

Always bought Sony TVs until this one, and loved my experiences with them. Will probably avoid bargain TVs in the future. Maybe I just got unlucky for once with this one though.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I have to question whether or not the TV is broken every time I see someone say the HDR is bad and makes colors look washed out on the TCL. It's a huge step up to my eyes. I agree with Liquidsnake that it's the biggest leap since HD. I do notice sometimes that games will wash colors or lights out when transitioning into or out of dark areas but it's always short lasting (like seconds) which makes me curious if something gets stuck in that loop. Certainly some games have poorer implementation of HDR but basically across the board, games have FAR better lighting and much more realistic colors. Perhaps that why too; those that say things look washed out only perceive it that way because they're used to, and prefer, a setting like "vibrant" which to my eyes looks like shit but certainly "pops" color wise

I don't mean to dismiss anyone not seeing the difference though. I just don't think it's possible unless something is wrong

I know what you mean. I feel like a crazy man because everyone usually says it looks good. On my set, the colors lose all pop and everything dims. Not pleasing to the eye at all. I've seen other HDR content on the YouTube app that looks great. With games on X1, it's just not pleasant. They look wonderful with it off though.

Just tried HDR on the YouTube app and it's gorgeous. Really bums me out because the tv can clearly show it well in other applications.

Last edited:

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Whenever HDR looks washed out, almost always on a game, because UHD movies look great, I just dial my brightness down to 48 and that 'fixes' it to my eyes.

Last edited:

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
That makes NO sense to me unless you guys are playing some of the few games that have broken HDR. RDR2 and Monster Hunter World are two games that have fake/broken HDR implementation and WILL cause the image to wash out. But most of the other games are a huge step up with HDR enabled vs off.

I don't even use my 55P605 much anymore, it's the bedroom set now (living room set is a 65" XBR 900f) but when I did use the TCL a lot, the HDR was a great entry into HDR.

Just the expanded color range is cool, but the peak highlights were a treat too.

Are you guys sure it's set up correctly in the TV settings for the HDMI input and stuff? Cause in proper games and movies there shouldn't be any reason why HDR doesn't look leaps better than SDR on that set.

Note: Dolby Vision I remember being dimmer than normal HDR on this set too unless you used one specific DV preset if I remember correctly. But that was for Dolby Vision content, which games don't support so yeah, for games, again unless it's one of the messed up HDR games, no reason why they don't look better than SDR.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't make sense to me either which is why it's so frustrating and I've stopped enabling it at this point...unless I do have a lemon, but I know I'm not alone in this.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I know what you mean. I feel like a crazy man because everyone usually says it looks good. On my set, the colors lose all pop and everything dims. Not pleasing to the eye at all. I've seen other HDR content on the YouTube app that looks great. With games on X1, it's just not pleasant. They look wonderful with it off though.

Just tried HDR on the YouTube app and it's gorgeous. Really bums me out because the tv can clearly show it well in other applications.
Yeah as others have said if YouTube is working well for you it's either the game or maybe another reason. Perhaps the HDMI cord is bad or possibly a bad set up on the console. No reason it would look nice through YT but not the X1

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone notice 9.0 took away our ability to see what resolution is being displayed on Xbox One? I used to hit settings and upon exiting it would show resolution such as 4K 60hdr
That's all gone now, can someone else confirm?

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah as others have said if YouTube is working well for you it's either the game or maybe another reason. Perhaps the HDMI cord is bad or possibly a bad set up on the console. No reason it would look nice through YT but not the X1

I would think so, but I'm just not seeing it.

If the HDMI cord is bad, wouldn't it just not have a signal or have the image noise that hapoens with bad cables?

My Xbox reports the right support in the settings and the picture has no other artifacts or issues.

I'll try a different cable, but the ones I'm using are Amazon basics that were listed as supporting the latest standard. If for some reason they were mislabeled and had the wrong bandwidth, what would be the expected behavior if you had a 4k60 hdr signal. Wouldn't it just not display?

Oct 26, 2017
Man I cannot get Sekiro to work with HDR at all without it looking washed out. Tried resetting my tv, set to defaults picture settings and re-adjusted. This is the second game (RDR2) I've played where HDR fails

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

This has been my experience on my 605 as well. YouTube hdr is the only hdr that really pops. Those lg deep black demo videos look phenomenal, but most games do look washed out and ditto for anything hdr on Netflix or Prime. Also 4k Blu ray hdr on my X looks whatever. The only game that looked like an improvement to me was Shadow of the Tomb Raider and that was only in dark areas that it really stood out. But nothing that really screamed "next gen tech!" like so many responses we see.

I do wonder if we have lemon sets, or maybe it is due to me being used to vibrant presets. The brightness is just SO much higher and colors richer on vibrant than hdr it makes me think the latter is busted on my set.

edit: So for the umpteenth time I went to the youtube Roku app to compare between hdr and sdr 4k content, again there are some hdr videos that look great and not washed out and seem to retain good brightness levels, but at the same time I had a non hdr 4k video play and my TV was on the low power preset and it was night and day in terms of higher brightness and colors that pop. It makes me want to indulge in a ridiculous theory that somehow my TV shows hdr when it says hdr is off and vice versa xD

Last edited:

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, sometimes HDR implementation is ass. RDR2 is one of the main offenders, along with MonHun World.

I've tried AC Origins, Forza Horizon 3/4, Horizon ZD, Spider-Man, etc the same results, not using HDR on the confirmed broken ones.

For those running with HDR and their games loking great, have you just been running HDR by default enabled or have you flipped back and forth to compare? If you've always had HDR on, perhaps you may not be aware of the differnce because if you haven't seen the SDR, the HDR still looks good in general, just oddly duller where you wouldn't expect it.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I would think so, but I'm just not seeing it.

If the HDMI cord is bad, wouldn't it just not have a signal or have the image noise that hapoens with bad cables?

My Xbox reports the right support in the settings and the picture has no other artifacts or issues.

I'll try a different cable, but the ones I'm using are Amazon basics that were listed as supporting the latest standard. If for some reason they were mislabeled and had the wrong bandwidth, what would be the expected behavior if you had a 4k60 hdr signal. Wouldn't it just not display?
Honestly I'm not sure. You're probably right that it wouldn't display as I've had that happen on old HD sets with the cables. I can do some decent deep dives into sets but I'm far from an expert. It may be worth it to either return, if possible, or get it calibrated. Problem is a professional calibration cost at least $100 as far as I know.Sometimes even more. If it were me I'd think it was worth the cost but I could see someone else deciding against it.

I think we've established, with Youtube, that you can notice and appreciate HDR with YouTube so there's no reason you shouldn't be enjoying the same benefit in your gaming.

I can't search well right now from mobile but I'm almost certain I read about this same problem before (Xbox, YT and all) either way back when in this thread or on the old sites version. Not sure if Gaf still has it up but it may be worth it to check because I'm about 75-80% sure I've seen this before and there's a chance someone chimed in with a solution

Edit: a quick rudimentary search of neogaf found some similar issues. Don't have time to check it all but it seems some people think it's just not used to being HDR but others said it was improper settings or lemon. Not sure if it was resolved. I don't know if you have the Rtings calibration settings but if not here's the link
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p-series-2017-p607/settings make sure to input these. I know on the wrong color temps it can have a pretty detrimental effect in my opinion. I'd also check out AVS forums. I know there's some more discussion over there about this issue

Last edited:

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm not sure. You're probably right that it wouldn't display as I've had that happen on old HD sets with the cables. I can do some decent deep dives into sets but I'm far from an expert. It may be worth it to either return, if possible, or get it calibrated. Problem is a professional calibration cost at least $100 as far as I know.Sometimes even more. If it were me I'd think it was worth the cost but I could see someone else deciding against it.

I think we've established, with Youtube, that you can notice and appreciate HDR with YouTube so there's no reason you shouldn't be enjoying the same benefit in your gaming.

I can't search well right now from mobile but I'm almost certain I read about this same problem before (Xbox, YT and all) either way back when in this thread or on the old sites version. Not sure if Gaf still has it up but it may be worth it to check because I'm about 75-80% sure I've seen this before and there's a chance someone chimed in with a solution

Edit: a quick rudimentary search of neogaf found some similar issues. Don't have time to check it all but it seems some people think it's just not used to being HDR but others said it was improper settings or lemon. Not sure if it was resolved. I don't know if you have the Rtings calibration settings but if not here's the link
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p-series-2017-p607/settings make sure to input these. I know on the wrong color temps it can have a pretty detrimental effect in my opinion. I'd also check out AVS forums. I know there's some more discussion over there about this issue

Thanks. I appreciate the response. Unfortunately, I was first made aware of the set on the old board, and got it shortly after release. Unfortunately I've been through all that troubleshooting and scoured the net as well, with no conclusive results. It's a bit too late for me to do anything with the set physically so, I'm just chalking it up to being an entry level one that doesn't do it well and/or just bad TV software (even if that shouldn't be it) and rolling with SDR.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I appreciate the response. Unfortunately, I was first made aware of the set on the old board, and got it shortly after release. Unfortunately I've been through all that troubleshooting and scoured the net as well, with no conclusive results. It's a bit too late for me to do anything with the set physically so, I'm just chalking it up to being an entry level one that doesn't do it well and/or just bad TV software (even if that shouldn't be it) and rolling with SDR.
You're updated to the latest firmware etc? Even if we can't figure it out you should at least consider calibration. I wouldn't push for it usually since some people truly just don't like HDR but given what you've said about YT it's worth considering

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
You're updated to the latest firmware etc? Even if we can't figure it out you should at least consider calibration. I wouldn't push for it usually since some people truly just don't like HDR but given what you've said about YT it's worth considering

I just checked the firmware last night and I got updated to v9 a couple days ago. I'm going to download a few HDR demo videos to a USB stick and see how they look. I'll try fiddling little more today and maybe trying the cables that came with the Xbox and/or forcing 1080p output and see if that changes anything. Apart from that, I'm probably just going to move on.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried AC Origins, Forza Horizon 3/4, Horizon ZD, Spider-Man, etc the same results, not using HDR on the confirmed broken ones.

For those running with HDR and their games loking great, have you just been running HDR by default enabled or have you flipped back and forth to compare? If you've always had HDR on, perhaps you may not be aware of the differnce because if you haven't seen the SDR, the HDR still looks good in general, just oddly duller where you wouldn't expect it.

Are you sure your non HDR settings aren't just exxagerated with pumped up color setting or something?

Switching between HDR and SDR isn't as simple as toggling off HDR and SDR and comparing. They use different setting presets.

Maybe your SDR preset has some setting that isn't accurate to begin with but you like it more? Or maybe it's on a vivid preset? I know this was the case with a couple users before, they just liked their custom SDR with pumped up color saturation and cool color temp vs the more accurate HDR Rtings settings and such.

If you want probably the most drastic change in game, try FFXV. Turning on HDR in THAT game, if you still think SDR pops more than HDR in FFXV, then there's something truly wrong. FFXV has the biggest HDR in your face implementation I've seen yet. The colors are on a whole 'nother level and the skybox peak brightness with the sun is bright AF.

Edit: or you can just try the Xbox one insects demo, that's a super obvious change too and you can toggle HDR on/off in real time with a button press and see the differences clear as day.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
I recommend checking the TV's HDMI settings per input, and forcing it to 2.0 instead of auto.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I recommend checking the TV's HDMI settings per input, and forcing it to 2.0 instead of auto.

That was one of the first things I did. Xbox reports all modes supported except the 50hz option.

I tried the cable that came with the X and same result.

Either my TV doesn't do HDR well or something out of my control is fundamentally not working.
If you want probably the most drastic change in game, try FFXV. Turning on HDR in THAT game, if you still think SDR pops more than HDR in FFXV, then there's something truly wrong. FFXV has the biggest HDR in your face implementation I've seen yet. The colors are on a whole 'nother level and the skybox peak brightness with the sun is bright AF.

Edit: or you can just try the Xbox one insects demo, that's a super obvious change too and you can toggle HDR on/off in real time with a button press and see the differences clear as day.

I don't have FFXV to try, but I have the Insect demo. The only thing is even with the HDR on/off toggle in the app, the feed to the TV is always showing an HDR signal, so it's not really doing any source type switching, so who knows if it's just a fake HDR off simualtion. I guess I can try running the app with HDR disabled via the system and check how the images compare, but for pretty much every game I've tried HDR on the colors in general do seem to take a hit.

As far as Injustice 2, (and MK11), I have no idea was going on with NetherRealm's implementation, but I'm leaning toward it being busted, because in addition to the colors in general taking a hit, this happens:
(below taken with my camera, so you can't really see the general color vibrancy hit, but what's going on with Manta's eyes reflect what I see):

HDR on (and in-game HDR adjustment made per the white box matching)
HDRon.png

HDR off:
HDRoff.png

The big model is the actual in-game model loaded. When the placeholder is there initially it looks like it does in the selection box.
The HDR setup in game is one of those where there's a dark grey box at '0' and you're supposed to increase the value until it's white and matches the surrounding box.
However, the closer you get to matching it, the more it blows out the eye color. Only way to get the proper eye color is to leave it at a minimum where it's not actually configured properly. Same result on both PS4 and Xbox.
It's so bizarre. Definitely running HDR off on NRS games because the UI just takes too much of a hit too.

Last edited: