• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Going to ask here. One TV i got my eye on is the TCL S425, yeah a 4 series. Pretty sure other series are better, but just wondering a few things, considering i dont want the absolute best in terms of 4K ( will stream Netflix, Cable like at Standard quality ,720p , gaming in 1080p, not ready to upgrade yet to 4k for that ). I want to upgrade from an old LCD LG tv i got like +10 years ago, max res was at 1080i.

- Hows the reliability of the S405? ( S425 is an upgrade for the look i think ). Is it a tv that could have problems in 2-3 years?
- Is this TV going to be a visual upgrade compare to my old +10 years LCD tv, for definition of brightness, black levels, input lag?
- The soap effect iv read on it cannot be turn off, is this the same effect we see on old plasma, 120hz true motion like LG have?

Overall, i just want a cheap upgrade, and at 400$ CND, i think its exactly where i want to put money on a new TV, so want to make sure im going to see an upgrade.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Going to ask here. One TV i got my eye on is the TCL S425, yeah a 4 series. Pretty sure other series are better, but just wondering a few things, considering i dont want the absolute best in terms of 4K ( will stream Netflix, Cable like at Standard quality ,720p , gaming in 1080p, not ready to upgrade yet to 4k for that ). I want to upgrade from an old LCD LG tv i got like +10 years ago, max res was at 1080i.

- Hows the reliability of the S405? ( S425 is an upgrade for the look i think ). Is it a tv that could have problems in 2-3 years?
- Is this TV going to be a visual upgrade compare to my old +10 years LCD tv, for definition of brightness, black levels, input lag?
- The soap effect iv read on it cannot be turn off, is this the same effect we see on old plasma, 120hz true motion like LG have?

Overall, i just want a cheap upgrade, and at 400$ CND, i think its exactly where i want to put money on a new TV, so want to make sure im going to see an upgrade.
TCL upscaling sucks so if you're getting it for mainly low res content I'd look at a Sony

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Well, does it suck if i would compare to an old 10 years old LCD, or i could expect it to look at least the same?
Can't really say without knowing what it is but 1080p and 720p content doesn't look great on the 2018 TCL to me. That said if your TV is 1080i max I would wager the TCL has gotta be a major step up regardless.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Can't really say without knowing what it is but 1080p and 720p content doesn't look great on the 2018 TCL to me. That said if your TV is 1080i max I would wager the TCL has gotta be a major step up regardless.

Ok. I just hope its not like "stretch and blurry" like some old first HD tv's SD content were cable look like crap, but the HD sources look very nice. As example, SD cable content were looking 3 time better on an old CRT tv than those new HDTV.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both my TV's are working like crap. Was there some new update that screwed them up? One keeps flickering when ever you move around the screen. The other is super slow. Wtf?!!!

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Here are the specs of my old tv

https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-42lb4d/

10000:1 contrast ratio
500 cd/m2 brigtness

If im comparing to rtings, the TCL S405 deliver
4171:1 contrast
191 cd/m2 brightness

Does that freakin mean my 10+ years old tv will deliver better visual? God, everytime i look and try to find a TV to replace my old LG, and i see the specs and there is always something stopping me making the move.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
So I picked up a 65" TCL 4 series over the weekend, and I REALLY want to know if the $300 price difference in the 6 series is really worth it. For people with experience in both I need to know what I'm getting myself into. The HDR on the 4 series is ATROCIOUS, ugly and I don't ever want it on again. I had to find the secret menu on the TCL tv through inputting a remote control combo in order to turn it off, which is insane that option isn't front and center to begin with. TBH I don't care about HDR anyway and if that's the only thing that's better about the 6 series I don;t want to spend the extra money. But does the 6 series offer other benefits?

Another issue I noticed when the TCL is turned off, it takes a very abnormally long time to turn on. I can tell it turns on, but the display doesn't come up for like 20-30 seconds. I understand there's a power state I can leave it in so it's always in sleep mode instead of fully powering off, but is this good for the tv? Or my electricity bill for that matter?

One last concern, is this TV really 120hz? Is the 6 series? It's 120hz cmi which tells me it's faking it. I love smoother experiences and would rather have a real 120hz tv, but I suppose my eyes can adjust. Is the 6 series completely the same as the 4 series in this regard?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer any of these questions.
I have 14 days to decide if this is the TV for me and I'm running it through the gauntlet.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I picked up a 65" TCL 4 series over the weekend, and I REALLY want to know if the $300 price difference in the 6 series is really worth it. For people with experience in both I need to know what I'm getting myself into. The HDR on the 4 series is ATROCIOUS, ugly and I don't ever want it on again. I had to find the secret menu on the TCL tv through inputting a remote control combo in order to turn it off, which is insane that option isn't front and center to begin with. TBH I don't care about HDR anyway and if that's the only thing that's better about the 6 series I don;t want to spend the extra money. But does the 6 series offer other benefits?

Another issue I noticed when the TCL is turned off, it takes a very abnormally long time to turn on. I understand there's a power state I can leave it in so it's always in sleep mode instead of fully powering off, but is this good for the tv? Or my electricity bill for that matter?

One last concern, is this TV really 120hz? Is the 6 series? It's 120hz cmi which tells me it's faking it. I love smoother experiences and would rather have a real 120hz tv, but I suppose my eyes can adjust. Is the 6 series completely the same as the 4 series in this regard?

I have 14 days to decide if this is the TV for me, and I'm running it through the gauntlet.

if you don't care about hdr, then the lack of local dimming would probably be the biggest factor. look into that and then decide if you think it's worth the price difference to you.

and yeah, these are 60hz panels.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, I got a p607 and Xbox one s

Any recommendations for settings, to look best without hdr, and with hdr?

Would the hdr settings work good for both games on Xbox and movies on Xbox? Thanks

Here are my settings and I've been very happy with it.

Picture mode: movie
TV brightness: normal for SD, brightest for HDR
Picture size: auto
Local contrast: high
Backlight: 20 for SDR, 100 for HDR
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 0
Color: 45
Tint: 0
Color temperature: warm

Under 'Expert picture settings' in the smartphone Roku app I have noise reduction turned off and gamma around 2.2.

Anyone else come to the conclusion that this TV just does not do HDR well? I have a 55P605 and just disabled it altogether for gaming. I just don't think it looks any better, sometimes worse. I have gone through every possible setting/config option I've seen online trying to make it wow me, and sell me on HDR, but it has not.

I've tested multiple games, even more recent titles like RE2 and the HDR works great. Can't say I've ever seen games look more dull and the brightness levels don't wash out the color the same way it does with HDR off. Look at the neon signs at the gas station in the beginning of RE2 or the hologram consoles in the caves of HZD.

500 cd/m2 brigtness

191 cd/m2 brightness

Does that freakin mean my 10+ years old tv will deliver better visual? God, everytime i look and try to find a TV to replace my old LG, and i see the specs and there is always something stopping me making the move.

Not sure how these two manufacturers compares but some companies do measure contrast ratio differently.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017

500 cd/m2 brigtness

191 cd/m2 brightness

That 10000:1 contrast ratio is the "dynamic contrast ratio" aka manufacture's measured bullshit with tricks to pump out a higher number to make it look better in bullet points. It's REAL contrast ratio at BEST is probably around 1000.

That brightness spec for it too is 100% bs as well.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Are you sure your non HDR settings aren't just exxagerated with pumped up color setting or something?

Switching between HDR and SDR isn't as simple as toggling off HDR and SDR and comparing. They use different setting presets.

Maybe your SDR preset has some setting that isn't accurate to begin with but you like it more? Or maybe it's on a vivid preset? I know this was the case with a couple users before, they just liked their custom SDR with pumped up color saturation and cool color temp vs the more accurate HDR Rtings settings and such.

If you want probably the most drastic change in game, try FFXV. Turning on HDR in THAT game, if you still think SDR pops more than HDR in FFXV, then there's something truly wrong. FFXV has the biggest HDR in your face implementation I've seen yet. The colors are on a whole 'nother level and the skybox peak brightness with the sun is bright AF.

Edit: or you can just try the Xbox one insects demo, that's a super obvious change too and you can toggle HDR on/off in real time with a button press and see the differences clear as day.

Late reply here but thought I'd chime in on your suggestion to use the Insects demo as a good benchmark for seeing if hdr is working properly. So I used the splitscreen comparison mode on my 605 and while it did show certain things like flower colors looking more vibrant and also the sun source being brighter it wasn't a huge difference, and there were some points where it seemed like the non hdr side of the screen looked better or the difference seemed negligible xD

So I'm pretty certain hdr is busted on my set, and clearly way out of warranty at this point so I suppose it's something I'll have to deal with until the next set purchase which probably won't be for years anyhow. Come to think of it the brightest thing I've seen in hdr in a game was probably the city lights in Infamous First Light. Other than that most everything else has looked eh :shrugs

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Late reply here but thought I'd chime in on your suggestion to use the Insects demo as a good benchmark for seeing if hdr is working properly. So I used the splitscreen comparison mode on my 605 and while it did show certain things like flower colors looking more vibrant and also the sun source being brighter it wasn't a huge difference, and there were some points where it seemed like the non hdr side of the screen looked better or the difference seemed negligible xD

So I'm pretty certain hdr is busted on my set, and clearly way out of warranty at this point so I suppose it's something I'll have to deal with until the next set purchase which probably won't be for years anyhow. Come to think of it the brightest thing I've seen in hdr in a game was probably the city lights in Infamous First Light. Other than that most everything else has looked eh :shrugs

Kind of a bummer. Too late to do anything about mine.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017

It could also be your expectations? HDR doesn't mean every frame of every scene is going to show a big jump 24/7. Some scenes will not look very different just because HDR is enabled. Some scenes will.

The point is, you should not be getting a WORSE image or washed out image with HDR unless there's something wrong (crappy/broken game implantation like RDR2, or an incorrect setting).

I like the insect demo, but it's also a good and not so good way to compare HDR on/off. Because while yes, it is technically showing you the HDR on/off in real time...it's not changing your TV inputs from HDR input to SDR input. It's still running in the HDR preset even when you toggle the HDR mode off. And normally you wouldn't want to use the HDR preset with SDR content (it jacks up the contrast and brightness and stuff which is needed for proper HDR but would make SDR content too bright and make the entire SDR picture overly bright)

So it's a little misleading, but still cool.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
It could also be your expectations? HDR doesn't mean every frame of every scene is going to show a big jump 24/7. Some scenes will not look very different just because HDR is enabled. Some scenes will.

The point is, you should not be getting a WORSE image or washed out image with HDR unless there's something wrong (crappy/broken game implantation like RDR2, or an incorrect setting).

I like the insect demo, but it's also a good and not so good way to compare HDR on/off. Because while yes, it is technically showing you the HDR on/off in real time...it's not changing your TV inputs from HDR input to SDR input. It's still running in the HDR preset even when you toggle the HDR mode off. And normally you wouldn't want to use the HDR preset with SDR content (it jacks up the contrast and brightness and stuff which is needed for proper HDR but would make SDR content too bright and make the entire SDR picture overly bright)

I think the issue for some of us is we can test HDR on the YouTube app, get a beautiful picture, then get a washed out image on the Xbox immediately after. I thought my expectations were simply off, but from what I saw within the app, it looked great. Go to any game with HDR and it's dark and washed out.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue for some of us is we can test HDR on the YouTube app, get a beautiful picture, then get a washed out image on the Xbox immediately after. I thought my expectations were simply off, but from what I saw within the app, it looked great. Go to any game with HDR and it's dark and washed out.

Are you watching those HDR promo videos in YouTube? Those are nice for sure but they're short clips strictly designed to show off HDR and have content that tries its best to show peak highlights and color range throughout the entire 30-60 second clip. They also exaggerate it a little bit. A lot of the more wow looking clips on YouTube are actually produced by TV manufactures, helps sell and show off their TVs.

Movies/games aren't gonna have peak brightness or have wow in your face colors the majority of the time (unless it's FFXV in day hours, that game in HDR is like a YouTube show off clip lol).

Out of curiosity what are your guy's SDR settings at?

I doubt the TVs are busted to be honest.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
So, interesting thing happened with my p607. It starts up to a completely black screen now. I can hear audio when adjusting volume and stuff, but just completely black screen. I've tried power cycles, unplugging, factory resets, etc. Occasionaly the factory reset will actually fix it and I can set it up as new again. But then when I turn it off and back on - back to black screen. Anyone know how to fix this?

Edit - I've already upgraded to a 65" 6 Series which is incredible and a huge upgrade over the 55" p607 IMO. So at this point I wanna see if I can fix the p607 and sell it, or sell it for parts.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah that's a good point wrt the hdr split screen not really accounting for what sdr would really look like since the former is enabled.

For something like Forza Horizon 3 or 4 I can definitely say it looks degraded and washed out compared to sdr on my set.

I think I latched onto some random comment I read on Era about hdr making colors a lot more vibrant and that's sort of followed me around with expectations, cause I'm just not seeing that on my end. Also someone said something like The Witness showed this off the best in terms of the overall look of the game looking like a big leap in terms of color vibrancy and image pop, and that's yet another one that looks washed out to me with hdr on. Oh well!

Yeah this is the baffling thing about the youtube vids looking better for us. This video in particular just looks stunning on my set. Perfect inky blacks, though the colors in the outdoors/flowers segment look a bit washed out:

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017

Another issue I noticed when the TCL is turned off, it takes a very abnormally long time to turn on. I can tell it turns on, but the display doesn't come up for like 20-30 seconds. I understand there's a power state I can leave it in so it's always in sleep mode instead of fully powering off, but is this good for the tv? Or my electricity bill for that matter?

I have 14 days to decide if this is the TV for me and I'm running it through the gauntlet.

FWIW to me the quality difference from 4 series to 6 series is huge. I have a friend with a 65" 4 series and I just got the 65" 6 series and.... well.... wow. I'm super impressed.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
One of the biggest tragedies (and mysteries) of the modern world is TCL refusing to have these versions of the 6 series outside N. America.
The version we get in Australia is nowhere near as good.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not a 607/605 but...

I recently purchased a TCL R55617 which I am very happy with.

I mounted it on the wall with a tilting wall mount above my computer monitor. The TV is connected to my computer via HDMI acting as a secondary display - my primary display is an AOC Agon AG271QX -, though I tend to use the TV's built in apps over running directly from my PC.

So far, I have been impressed with the picture quality. The detail is sharp, colours bright (especially with HDR content) and black levels reasonable.

I have had some trouble with HDR gaming. The TV can appear washed out when enabling HDR in-game. Shadows of the Tomb Raider and Assassin's Creed: Origins both suffer from this. In the former case, enabling HDR causes the game to flicker and become unusable. Leaving the option disabled seems to be the actual HDR mode in my case. Assassin's Creed required me to adjust the brightness setting down to "30%", otherwise the screen appears washed out.

Overall, I am happy with display. It offers great picture quality and features for the price.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
So, interesting thing happened with my p607. It starts up to a completely black screen now. I can hear audio when adjusting volume and stuff, but just completely black screen. I've tried power cycles, unplugging, factory resets, etc. Occasionaly the factory reset will actually fix it and I can set it up as new again. But then when I turn it off and back on - back to black screen. Anyone know how to fix this?

Edit - I've already upgraded to a 65" 6 Series which is incredible and a huge upgrade over the 55" p607 IMO. So at this point I wanna see if I can fix the p607 and sell it, or sell it for parts.

I'm a little confused because this is what was happening to mine when it was powered off for a while, and when I'd go back to turn it on the video would take a very long time to come up. Is this whats happening in your experience? Or is it not getting a video output at all even if you let it wait 30+ seconds?

Last edited:

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Are you watching those HDR promo videos in YouTube? Those are nice for sure but they're short clips strictly designed to show off HDR and have content that tries its best to show peak highlights and color range throughout the entire 30-60 second clip. They also exaggerate it a little bit. A lot of the more wow looking clips on YouTube are actually produced by TV manufactures, helps sell and show off their TVs.

Movies/games aren't gonna have peak brightness or have wow in your face colors the majority of the time (unless it's FFXV in day hours, that game in HDR is like a YouTube show off clip lol).

Out of curiosity what are your guy's SDR settings at?

I doubt the TVs are busted to be honest.

I kind of doubt it as well. I'm gonna reset everything and start playing with some different settings.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
HA, what the hell, Amazon is charging an arm and a leg for the 607. I have the 605 and its a great TV. I'm getting LG C9 tomorrow.
Always wanted an OLED but Im still keeping the TCL in the family.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Performed a reset and tried setting up everything again and I feel crazy, but hell if it isn't working. I'm losing a just small bit of vividness now, but gaining so much more in atmosphere with the lighting. Tried it in AC odyssey, Battlefield V and Hellblade and if I turn it off now, the game looks objectively worst. I swear I've messed with this time and time again, but after resetting everything and starting over, it looks so much better. Wife agreed immediately as well. Sadly, I didn't write down my previous settings. This time, I basically adjusted it setting by setting based on what looked good.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Performed a reset and tried setting up everything again and I feel crazy, but hell if it isn't working. I'm losing a just small bit of vividness now, but gaining so much more in atmosphere with the lighting. Tried it in AC odyssey, Battlefield V and Hellblade and if I turn it off now, the game looks objectively worst. I swear I've messed with this time and time again, but after resetting everything and starting over, it looks so much better. Wife agreed immediately as well. Sadly, I didn't write down my previous settings. This time, I basically adjusted it setting by setting based on what looked good.

Hmm so how do you go about doing a reset with this TV? Are we talkin factory reset or just like a regular full boot shutdown and reset? I don't wanna brick mine lol.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm so how do you go about doing a reset with this TV? Are we talkin factory reset or just like a regular full boot shutdown and reset? I don't wanna brick mine lol.

I performed a factory reset just because I read that someone on reddit tried it. I figured it was the only thing I hadn't done. I then set it up again. I've played with the settings again and I can't get it to look as bad as it was. I'm amazed tbh.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I performed a factory reset just because I read that someone on reddit tried it. I figured it was the only thing I hadn't done. I then set it up again. I've played with the settings again and I can't get it to look as bad as it was. I'm amazed tbh.

Whoa really? Do you have a link to the thread?

I'm tempted to try this now, but a bit scared to try it. What exactly do you lose? DO you still keep your current OS version (I have 9).

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

Well damn gonna try it now thanks for the heads up!

I'm tempted to try this now, but a bit scared to try it. What exactly do you lose?

You basically gotta set up your inputs, Roku channels need to be downloaded again plus login info for those afaik. Kind of a pain but if it gets hdr working I'll take the risk!

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
You basically gotta set up your inputs, Roku channels need to be downloaded again plus login info for those afaik. Kind of a pain but if it gets hdr working I'll take the risk!

That's not too bad, really. I can't do it right away, but I'm curious to hear from those who have been having the same impressions.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

I'm tempted to try this now, but a bit scared to try it. What exactly do you lose? DO you still keep your current OS version (I have 9).

I've been through a few even going back to the old site, so I don't have the link on hand, but it was just a one off comment I remember reading where someone said a reset resolved it. I should have written down my exact settings beforehand to compare to what it's on now, but I was just kind of frustrated at the time and said to hell with it.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
So I bought the R55617 and am still not sure ive found the correct settings yet to truly be "wowed".

I copied the settings on Rtings for their review of the website but the HDR seems way too dark. I have an Xbox One X and a Ps4 PRO and anytime I start a game on them it automatically recognizes the HDR and shows a notification signifying this but everything just seems way too dark. Am I doing something wrong?

Should I have the brightness set to max for HDR? Will having the brightness set to max shorten the life of the tv?

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
So I bought the R55617 and am still not sure ive found the correct settings yet to truly be "wowed".

I copied the settings on Rtings for their review of the website but the HDR seems way too dark. I have an Xbox One X and a Ps4 PRO and anytime I start a game on them it automatically recognizes the HDR and shows a notification signifying this but everything just seems way too dark. Am I doing something wrong?

Should I have the brightness set to max for HDR? Will having the brightness set to max shorten the life of the tv?
you set TV brightness to brighter with HDR right?

maybe try normal HDR instead of dark HDR

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Anything below the 6xx series is a bargain bin 4k tv with fake hdr, the 6xx series really is worth the extra $200 and would be a true upgrade to your LG.

Well, dont care much about having all this HDR thing tbh, just want to make sure im upgrading. Well, planing to do my move next month, Best Buy got a return policy if im not satisfy, guess i will try it and see how it goes. I just want an upgrade, not the best one, but something ill notice . My tv speakers atm are doing some strange static sound, sooner or later i will need to make a move for something, just dont want to get my hand on something worst than my current tv.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
That 10000:1 contrast ratio is the "dynamic contrast ratio" aka manufacture's measured bullshit with tricks to pump out a higher number to make it look better in bullet points. It's REAL contrast ratio at BEST is probably around 1000.

That brightness spec for it too is 100% bs as well.

Well, perhaps it was the mesurment of old LCD panels and it change vs LED? Really not sure.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
For folks with the 6 series that are seeing washed out and dark hdr, try using the hdr bright setting and 2.2 gamma. You can bump the color setting up a little, too.

Just stumbled on a random Reddit comment recommending it earlier today and it definitely looks better than what I had before. It might be crushing blacks but I think it's just because I'm used to the gray blacks I was seeing before. Might try resetting sometime.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
For folks with the 6 series that are seeing washed out and dark hdr, try using the hdr bright setting and 2.2 gamma. You can bump the color setting up a little, too.

Just stumbled on a random Reddit comment recommending it earlier today and it definitely looks better than what I had before. Might try resetting, too.

I've tried all of those settings unfortunately. Still don't have an image that looks on par with SDR in terms of brightness and not being relatively washed out.

Only thing I haven't done is factory reset.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Well, dont care much about having all this HDR thing tbh, just want to make sure im upgrading. Well, planing to do my move next month, Best Buy got a return policy if im not satisfy, guess i will try it and see how it goes. I just want an upgrade, not the best one, but something ill notice . My tv speakers atm are doing some strange static sound, sooner or later i will need to make a move for something, just dont want to get my hand on something worst than my current tv.
fyi as a new owner of a tcl 4 series, the sound quality out of the built in speakers are TERRIBLE. Absolutely tingy and harsh. I immediately went and bought a sound bar. I've never heard tv speakers this bad in person and I couldn't deal with them for more than a hour until I got in the car and brought back something to fix the issue.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I took my picture in the laziest way possible, but I feel that it shows the difference I'm seeing now in the lighting without everything being washed out. The top image is without HDR and the bottom is with it on. Pretty happy with it now.

https://imgur.com/a/LcR9Ha4

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried all of those settings unfortunately. Still don't have an image that looks on par with SDR in terms of brightness and not being relatively washed out.

Only thing I haven't done is factory reset.

Yo I think it worked! Horizon looks a lot more vibrant now in hdr. Goddamn wish I thought to try this like at any point in the last year plus I've had this set lol.