• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Feichaw

Oct 27, 2017
I thought they were killing the franchise, like pretty much anyone else, but apparently they just meant that they are not supporting DOA 5 anymore...

I wonder when we'll see DOA 6...

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I really do not like Team Ninja making that kind of an announcement at the end of that tournament.

Suuuuuuuuuuper disrespectful.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Genuinely felt sad for the DOA competitive scene, they were really hoping for something to revitalize the community. The commentators were on about better online play, new character or a DOA x VF crossover to merge the two communities. They got a funeral instead that buried the scene.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So the answer was Dead the whole time. Now where will the displaced Virtua Fighters go? Soulcalibur? FEXL?

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I think DOA makes them too much money for them to not be actively working on 6 right now.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
tenor.gif

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of DOA but I even tuned in hoping for an announcement of some sort. When i realised that it was going to be nothing i couldnt help but think of all the salt the actual fans must be feeling lol. Then again would they announce a new game at NEC?

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a disaster. Why say that you were going to announce something when what you really meant was that you had a message for fans? Why be so vague? They made it sound like DoA is dead or on permanent hiatus while the DoA team works on 3rd party games like presumably Dissidia. They should have just said (with no prior announcement) 'This is the end of the line for DoA5, unfortunately DoA6 is not currently in production but we'd love to do it someday.' Would have been super disappointing but people would have understood.

I've been waiting for DoA6 for years, though. One of my all-time most anticipated games. I didn't really believe they'd announce it at a tourney like this but I thought we'd get something. Not a funeral.

I don't get it, why is this tweet proof of anything? What's the source? We all saw the announcement vid from NEC, after all. Is he saying he has further info?

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
I mean, they really didn't suggest anything to give the impression it was still alive. Just that the Dead or Alive team was working hard on anything but Dead or Alive, and that DOA itself is going away for a while. That, coupled with the almost oppressively depressing tone of the stream's end reeeaally makes it feel like DOA is truly dead.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If true then that was one dumb way to present the announcement.

Damn right it was. You have a dude on stage basically saying it's probably his last time being there and telling the community to stay strong among other things... like what the hell was their intent? lmao

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I thought that was obvious? It was the way the announcement was made, coupled with fans' expectation of a new DOA title, that made it so depressing.
Pretty much. We knew before that the dlc ended for 5. They also ended the support for tournaments, which means if 6 happens that it's so far off that the make a loss if they continue til it arrives. Dude at the end almost cried. They gonna work on Nioh 2.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Withdrawing support and cutting ties is not a good look. Most companies just lets their games die in silence, or announce a new one to shift the attention. They don't just put the axe on it.

The fuck was even the point ? One part of the video can't even be heard properly because there was a train moving nearby. A hack job it was, just straight up buried any community left for the series.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

What he's saying is what Hayashi stated

Hi, everyone, I'm Team Ninja's brand manager, Yosuke Hayashi. Thank you for your continued support of Dead or Alive. It's been five years since Dead or Alive 5 hit the market, and thanks to your undying love, the franchise has grown much bigger during this period. I'd also like to express my gratitude to Big E for all the tournaments you organized for our game over the years. Dead or Alive 5 has finally come to an end, but the Dead or Alive team is very active. Looking forward, I hope you'll continue to support Dead or Alive]. Thank you!

https://gematsu.com/2017/12/team-ninja-says-goodbye-dead-alive-5-looks-forward-future-series

It's why I was confused when I clicked this thread and saw that people got the impression that they were killing the franchise.

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
With the dude at the end tearing up and the devs stating that they will be gone for a while....what did they expect? Also I fairly sure tecmo made a lot of money from the costumes etc...

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have been WAITING for ERA to come back up just for this thread.

I'm just baffled yo, I honestly don't understand what they were thinking with this. Why did they announce it like that? They could have said something along the lines of "please tune in as we say farewell to DOA 5." but I don't think they should've announced this in the first place.

After 5 years and making money hand over fist in DLC I'm sure much more than they could have anticipated, and yet they come up with this? I'm still waiting for the surprise DOA 6 announcement. I'm so disappointed, I can't imagine how the hardcore fans feel.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
*coming back to era after the maintenance*
giphy.webp

An incredibly heartfelt message for the doa community but man team ninja should have been clear about this "announcement" just say you want to address the community about something.

Of course DoA as a franchise is not dead but the big take away is that after telling people about the end of the content support for doa5 and end of the battle royal tournament series... Team Ninja could not tease a DoA6 there or even just tell people to look forward to news in 2018.

I have no doubt DoA6 is in development in some form but it sure ain't coming or even getting announced any time soon.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
*coming back to era after the maintenance*
giphy.webp

An incredibly heartfelt message for the doa community but man team ninja should have been clear about this "announcement" just say you want to address the community about something.

Of course DoA as a franchise is not dead but the big take away is that after telling people about the end of the content support for doa5 and end of the battle royal tournament series... Team Ninja could not tease a DoA6 there or even just tell people to look forward to news in 2018.

I have no doubt DoA6 is in development in some form but it sure ain't coming or even getting announced any time soon.

This. For me it bascically translates to "we're busy with other projects now, don't expect news about DOA6 for like a couple of years."

If DOA6 was getting announced in 2018 they wouldn't have bothered with this.