Votes: 151 19.8%
  • Victor

Votes: 123 16.1%
  • Reina

Votes: 488 64.0%

• Total voters

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Hitting the ground and just being stun kicked while you're down preventing you from doing anything seems to a thing in this game, sometimes I can't even get a block in to get up.

Instead lf holding back or up to get up, mash Square or X(Playstaion Buttons) to do a quick roll.

Holding back will sometimes allow opponents to loop you, especially at the wall, since it doesnt have iframes like the quick rolls.

Max says to leave it on standard. I don't know who to believe at the moment. Has anyone tried both?

If you're playing someone on a good connection then Prioritize Respone will be fine. However, if the connection starts having issues you will see them start to skip frames and have 'jumpy' animations.

Standard smooths that out by adding a frame of delay to allow the rollback to catch up.

I was using prioritize response but the frame skipping became annoying and made it harder to recognize animations on otherwise good connections. Switching to Standard fixed that. And it still feels much better than T7 online.

Source:Someone who's played more than 5k matches in T7 across PC and Playstation.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I think execution wise Tekken is probably the easiest of the big fighting game franchises. The hard part of Tekken is awareness and matchup knowledge. Which is why despite having a really high ceiling it still is greatly appealing to casual audiences.

In pure execution? Yes. Its tapping buttons with a pretty loose idea of frames and timing jungles.

But the memorization required is nuts, lol.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Downloading now - my first Tekken game coming from the SF series.

I have a HitBox, how should I arrange the buttons? Sorry if this has already been discussed. So excited to dive in shortly
Depends what you are used you. Default hitbox movements were designed with 2D fighters in mind, and leaning towards charge characters. The movement buttons for Up/ Down are presented inverted as default. Where in 2D fighters, this affects crouching and jumping, for 3D fighters this affects moving In/ Out of the 3D playfield as well. You can reinvert this using Steam Input or system level controller mapping on PS5. If your hitbox has a Pico encoder, you can directly do this on the controller itself with a button press modifier to change the inversion for Up/ Down.

For the 4 action buttons:

1 = left arm
2 = right arm
3 = left leg
4 = right leg

Traditional arcade layout with left and right sides in sync:

[1] [2]
[3] [4]

I prefer the below in a curved arc layout, still with the left and right sides in sync:

[3] [1] [2] [4]

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
Been swapping between Azucena and Asuka. I usually don't gel that well with rushdown (although I guess I currently play Kim in SF6, lol) and the defensive playstyle of the latter feels fun and fresh to me. But man, her visual design is beyond horrible in T8. The only costume I like is the hakama one.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
The main menu character should change to Jin once you complete the story. Feels weird seeing Kazuya's face.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I think the fact that Tekken beat MK1 on the steam charts is a damn good sign that it's doing just fine. Regardless of how people feel about MK1, the franchise usually does big numbers, so a Tekken game with actual casual content winning out is great
Tekken 8 did well but comparing it to mk on steam to determine that, isn't a good idea. MK1 did about the same in terms of peak CCU as MK11 - zero growth. MK just isn't that strong on PC, as current player numbers show (lower than 2 and a half years old Guilty Gear Strive).

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this got already asked but how can I rotate the camera in Arcade Quest (and the character customization / editor) on stick? SF6 has a button combination that helps with that, I couldn't find one in Tekken 8 sadly.

Deleted member 35618

Dec 7, 2017
I'm playing the story on speed run. The faster I beat it, the sooner I can forget it.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Sorry if this got already asked but how can I rotate the camera in Arcade Quest (and the character customization / editor) on stick? SF6 has a button combination that helps with that, I couldn't find one in Tekken 8 sadly.
Usually, your arcade controller will have a mode to switch the 'D-pad' to L-stick or R-stick for analogue controls for camera. I don't usually bother as it is awkward on a stick controller.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Usually, your arcade controller will have a mode to switch the 'D-pad' to L-stick or R-stick for analogue controls for camera. I don't usually bother as it is awkward on a stick controller.

I seriously forgot about that option since I never really bothered with it. Thank you! Big shame that it seems they didn't think about including a button input to access the camera like SF6 did.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
This is the first Tekken game that I've REALLY gotten into, besides dabbling in the past.

Coming off my Soul Calibur replays, I gotta say I'm loving this. Feels old school with the amount of content, very pleased so far.

Also, stage design is second to none IMO.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I tried some King and I am able to cheese put some wind but I can tell this is harder for me than just using Hworang. I think I will spend some more time with Azucena and Law next.

Oct 27, 2017
I am loving the presentation of the character episodes. Especially Reina's.

Speaking of, I'm loving my theory that this could be the first Tekken with a heavy narrative update to go along with the typical "[x]R" update. Reina absolutely deserves front cover status and a story mode update to solidify some of the story elements would be quite neat. Maybe some chapters following her time before, during and after the main story events as well as some (all?) of the season pass characters as a taste for folks who havent purchased it.

The main menu character should change to Jin once you complete the story. Feels weird seeing Kazuya's face.
Absolutely. Or selectable.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny to see people say "what's with this story?" in a series where a dude threw another dude into a volcano and he turned out fine.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
In pure execution? Yes. Its tapping buttons with a pretty loose idea of frames and timing jungles.

If you're doing optimized damage sure. But In general most people can figure out how to hit a launcher into a simple string for some easy damage.

silentq15

Aug 15, 2022
It's crazy because the theme was playing at a point during the arcade quest mode
I gotta say though ultimately what they let you do with the jukebox is kinda crazy. I was shocked to find placing Tekken Tag 1 School theme as the main theme for the stage and making the climax round Tekken Tag 2 School theme remix it like perfectly transitions into the Final Round. Just amazing stuff from the Tekken Team with the music.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yep. I had that conversation with a buddy yesterday. Players new to the series can do combos (and even juggles) after an hour. The lack of DPs or QCFs make it easier to do the attack, but the laundry list of strings, animations to watch out for and the 3D movement is where it gets dense.

Especially with the 30+ characters that will only increase.

Gambit61

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, jumped over to Raven and its crazy how much easier it is to win when your normals actually have range lmao. It's so much easier to punish mashers with him vs King.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember back when T7 released, there was a really good ressource with the best 15 moves per character. Have someone here saw this for T8 ?

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say though ultimately what they let you do with the jukebox is kinda crazy. I was shocked to find placing Tekken Tag 1 School theme as the main theme for the stage and making the climax round Tekken Tag 2 School theme remix it like perfectly transitions into the Final Round. Just amazing stuff from the Tekken Team with the music.
Haha yes, I was doing exactly that in 7. Also fun one was arcade -> arranged or T5 -> DR

I'm still miffed at no Headahaker (still) so I'll be ignoring jukebox for a while. I want the new songs to really sink in anyway. I want to form new memories with the new game, not relive old ones.

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
This game desperately needs an option to make the opponent always have the default look. I know that it will never come (but SF6 did it, so maybe?), but some costumes can be seriously distracting. Was up against a Jack, I don't think it was their intention (there seemed to be some kind of theme at work), but he had a big white overcoat that flapped around, made it harder to see what he was doing.

silentq15

Aug 15, 2022
Haha yes, I was doing exactly that in 7. Also fun one was arcade -> arranged or T5 -> DR

I'm still miffed at no Headahaker (still) so I'll be ignoring jukebox for a while. I want the new songs to really sink in anyway. I want to form new memories with the new game, not relive old ones.
Yeah what is very exciting to me is they fixed it so now if a theme has no final round and you just make it the same theme it doesn't start over. This fixes the glaring weakness of Tekken 7's Jukebox. So happy it was fixed!

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
I remember back when T7 released, there was a really good ressource with the best 15 moves per character. Have someone here saw this for T8 ?
yeah, i need something like that for jin. just some really basic bread & butter stuff. looking at the move list is not really helpful and all of the youtube videos seem to be aimed at tekken pro's.

the arcade tour is also kinda trash. it teaches the absolute basics and then skips ahead (at least thats what it feels like) to very advanced stuff. it teaches you stuff, yes. but it doesn't really do a good job of explaining things.

Last edited:

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
yeah, i need something like that for jin. just some really basic bread & butter stuff. looking at the move list is not really helpful and all of the youtube videos seem to be aimed at tekken pro's.

the arcade tour is also kinda trash. it teaches the absolute basics and then skips ahead (at least thats what it feels like) to very advanced stuff. it teaches you stuff, yes. but it doesn't really do a good job of explaining things.
Not sure if this is exactly what you mean but there's this:

jin-kazama-quick-guide-updated-v0-g8s1qjngjfdc1.jpg

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is exactly what you mean but there's this:
Yeah that one is great, the guy did the 4 chars of the demo i think so far. But here is what i was talking about :

Lo34hkw.png

A list of the best moves for every char (Devil Jin here for instance), explaining why they are good. It helped me a lot to learn characters in T7, and to apply a basic gameplan

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Tekken since Tekken 2 and been playing every single entry in the series. Yet, I haven't purchased Tekken 8 and I dunno if I should. I've realized I'm never getting good at these games as I button mash and the closest I've gotten to any progress was Tekken 7 with Josie and memorizing one of her combos. I don't know if Arcade Quest can push me a little further.

In the Fighting Lounge, is it possible to watch others fight in their matches?