• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
deathfists does only 50% the regular dmg

gray dont tell people to play shaheen you want them retire

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Deathfist does 10 damage, demo man is a special mid, shredder has no extensions and is -20 on block and df1~b is also -20

Fair and balanced

;) Only when Asukas b+3 is a taunt at -50, f+2 doesn't launch and makes her BT automatically, uf+3 is a high and minus 15 on hit, 1+4,2,4 whiffs at wall and all sweeps give -25 staggers.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
He drank through your 50$ in one evening and Idolmaster is a different type of jerker. He has those idolmaster pillowdolls a plenty, no need for the game ;).
full

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks guys! I ended up buying the Deluxe edition and wow I really like the game. The core gameplay fits me much better than SFV and DBZ. There are stuff I will have to get used to like sidestepping, but yeah it plays great.
I didn't see your replies until now but so far I've only played as Claudio. Is he considered good? Because he sure feels nice to play. I'll check out the characters you guys mentioned as well.

It's so weird seeing characters I used to play in Tekken 3, so much nostalgia.

Also you should always play top tier especially if you have no shame like sasuke_91
Don't remove chips from your table
Heh, I do usually pick high tier characters but only after I've learned the basics of the game with someone less high tier.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys! I ended up buying the Deluxe edition and wow I really like the game. The core gameplay fits me much better than SFV and DBZ. There are stuff I will have to get used to like sidestepping, but yeah it plays great.
I didn't see your replies until now but so far I've only played as Claudio. Is he considered good? Because he sure feels nice to play. I'll check out the characters you guys mentioned as well.

It's so weird seeing characters I used to play in Tekken 3, so much nostalgia.

Heh, I do usually pick high tier characters but only after I've learned the basics of the game with someone less high tier.
shameless

Also its good to learn with a high tier character unless they have specific stuff the rest of the cast doesnt have
What makes them good is that they have more of the good options in the game and less weaknesses

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
So... Claudio can do a fff2 move, which according to the "guide" I am reading is a really good move. Is fff2 something everyone can do? I can't seem to get it to work, is the fff supposed to be done super fast or slower paced?

shameless

Also its good to learn with a high tier character unless they have specific stuff the rest of the cast doesnt have
What makes them good is that they have more of the good options in the game and less weaknesses
Is there an up to date tier list?

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
As fun as it is to joke around, just pick whoever you like. Tekken 7 is legit well balanced enough that just picking whoever looks cool is a very legitimate way of playing a good character. That might sound weird but remember that this is a game of legacy skill where characters have been ported almost as is from past games and get further and further refined so the balance is MUCH closer than modern 2D games.

So... Claudio can do a fff2 move, which according to the "guide" I am reading is a really good move. Is fff2 something everyone can do? I can't seem to get it to work, is the fff supposed to be done super fast or slower paced?
fff2, as it implies is done by three forward motions then 2. Alternatively you can also do it while simply running at the opponent and pressing 2, hence why it's also called a WR2 (While Running 2).

The ideal way is to do a forward motion then quickly do a double forward motion and press 2.

It's a VERY good tool for Claudio because it can avoid low attacks, has a solid hitbox of his arm outstretched, is VERY + oB, on hit leads to a safe starburst activation and wallsplats near the wall.

The only downside is that it hits high so the opponent can duck it. And like most WR moves, it's also fairly linear so it can be side stepped rather easily. Though Claudio has other tools to use instead of fff+2 to counter these situations.

That's also why Dragunov's WR2 is so fucking insane, because it hits mid (so no ducking allowed), leads into a full blown combo on Counter Hit and it's not as straight forward to sidestep as some other WR moves. Still doable but just not as easy as others.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017

Is there an up to date tier list?
Tekken is pretty balanced and top changes person by person(the top tournament players that matter)
If you care about Aris he recently did his. Top tier players look the same

aristekken7tierlistmay2018.png

The only people in S and S+ that are really hard to pick up are Ling,DJ,Bryan and steve. And even then its still good. Except Ling
The idea is to have a pool of characters you wanna play and pick the toppest tier and also easiest
full

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Good to hear the game is somewhat balanced!

fff2, as it implies is done by three forward motions then 2. Alternatively you can also do it while simply running at the opponent and pressing 2, hence why it's also called a WR2 (While Running 2).

The ideal way is to do a forward motion then quickly do a double forward motion and press 2.
Yeah I can do it while running but the guide said it was pretty much instant with fff2 and something you must use. I did manage to hit it once. Could be because I am using a stick and still getting used to it... I'll try the forward then quickly ff2.

Oh and... Can I hit someone lying on the ground? I tried use a low kick but nothing... But I'm pretty sure the AI hit me when I was lying down.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Ground game here is...
Deep

giphy.gif

ill see myself out
im still mad about mokujin

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It's way more complex in my case than Numb likes to admit.

I picked up my characters when they were low-mid tier in TTT2 and they all became top tier in Tekken 7. It was all calculated. I'm already preparing for Tekken 8 by picking up Lucky Chloe, a character that is considered low tier in this game.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still don't understand the low tiernes of Chloe. Not with that damage output. She's not that terribly unsafe either. Every character has launch punishable moves. She has launch punishable hopkick but visually it looks the same as others and it's hard to react to.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
I actually love this game, it feels fantastic to play. Why did I not buy this sooner?
Starting to get a few fff2 now but still need to work on it. Overall, I just need to get used to how Tekken plays because I barely play fighters and when I do it's been Street Fighter. Also combos, right now I use very simple combos but hey gotta start somewhere.
AND WTF ON GRAB RANGE!? I'm not used to such long grab range.

Started to play ranked just to train on the stuff I learn in a competitive setting and just got to 1st DAN with a 64% winrate (20 matches played) which is crazy to me because the only fighters I've done well in is Smash and Pokken. In SF games, and now DBZ, I always lose even in the lowest rank and have to grind training like crazy to climb.

One thing though, can you reset your rank or do the game reset it now and then? I went up against some players with Platinum trophy of the game from a year back and they did crazy long combos and played really well for people below 1st DAN. Or they never play ranked and just started.

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I still don't understand the low tiernes of Chloe. Not with that damage output. She's not that terribly unsafe either. Every character has launch punishable moves. She has launch punishable hopkick but visually it looks the same as others and it's hard to react to.

She has lots of moves at -14 and is honestly rather gimmicky. Her hopkick, ws+1,4 and FC d/f+4 are all launch punishable and good players will launch you for that.
She also has some gimmicky stuff that is hard to make use of at a certain level. Her d+3+4 is basically considered useless by a lot of players.
She's also vulnerable to sidesteps.
Her damage output is insane though, so I guess that's how they balanced her.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually love this game, it feels fantastic to play. Why did I not buy this sooner?
Starting to get a few fff2 now but still need to work on it. Overall, I just need to get used to how Tekken plays because I barely play fighters and when I do it's been Street Fighter. Also combos, right now I use very simple combos but hey gotta start somewhere.
AND WTF ON GRAB RANGE!? I'm not used to such long grab range.

Started to play ranked just to train on the stuff I learn in a competitive setting and just got to 1st DAN with a 64% winrate (20 matches played) which is crazy to me because the only fighters I've done well in is Smash and Pokken. In SF games, and now DBZ, I always lose even in the lowest rank and have to grind training like crazy to climb.

One thing though, can you reset your rank or do the game reset it now and then? I went up against some players with Platinum trophy of the game from a year back and they did crazy long combos and played really well for people below 1st DAN. Or they never play ranked and just started.

So who did you chose to play?

Glad you're liking the game.

Platinum doesn't mean anything in this. You basically get it without any effort. Don't worry.

Game doesn't reset ranks. There are so called "smurfs" though. Players that have got certain higher rank and they make new PSN accounts to pretend like they're beginners and go beat low rankers to feed their empty egos. Common internet scum.

That doesn't mean you met them. This series is 24 years old. Some characters didn't change much in a decade. It's not uncommon that people just know how to play more or less. It's 100 times easier to just adjust to T7 system after playing the series for decades rather than to start anew from T7. Things you saw may be basic play.

She has lots of moves at -14 and is honestly rather gimmicky. Her hopkick, ws+1,4 and FC d/f+4 are all launch punishable and good players will launch you for that.
She also has some gimmicky stuff that is hard to make use of at a certain level. Her d+3+4 is basically considered useless by a lot of players.
She's also vulnerable to sidesteps.
Her damage output is insane though, so I guess that's how they balanced her.

Gimme that Chloe deathmatch. Like 25 matches minimum. I only have experience with "1 and run" dudes, so none.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
So who did you chose to play?

Glad you're liking the game.

Platinum doesn't mean anything in this. You basically get it without any effort. Don't worry.

Game doesn't reset ranks. There are so called "smurfs" though. Players that have got certain higher rank and they make new PSN accounts to pretend like they're beginners and go beat low rankers to feed their empty egos. Common internet scum.

That doesn't mean you met them. This series is 24 years old. Some characters didn't change much in a decade. It's not uncommon that people just know how to play more or less. It's 100 times easier to just adjust to T7 system after playing the series for decades rather than to start anew from T7. Things you saw may be basic play.
Loving it more and more. Still only played as Claudio but only because the game is somewhat overwhelming. I have very few hours played in more hardcore fighters but I'm getting there. There are a lot of characters I want to try though so will start with that soon.

I just got smacked around a bit by some players and felt confused when they were the lowest rank but clearly not smurfs because of the plat, but guess they just haven't played ranked that much and know some nice combos. And yes, most probably basic play because I realised that if someone puts pressure on me and won't back off I get destoyed. For example if they just jab pressure me I can't get out. But that's me not knowing what to hit them with, guessing jab but maybe there is something else?

I have gone up against 3-4 smurfs or Tekken veterans (only Tekken 7 played and first trophy from today and just dominates me haha) but I just don't rematch them and move on. I do not care about wins though and rematch everyone else but most people decline.

SquirrelSoup

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Went out to Fight Session 8 in Amsterdam today. Tourney performance was pretty ass at 2-2, but i had a fantastic time overall. Super friendly crowd and i got a ton of casuals in. Character crisis also sorted, Asuka is main and Leo is sub.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the nicest smurf before I went to bed last night. I was apparently the first loss he had and he gave me some pointers. My offense was apparently good but defense lacking tons... Which I know. I'm finding defense to be really tough in Tekken because you can't just block low and be safe. I also have problem reading throws and rarely get the tech. And I keep pressing buttons when I think it's safe just to get hit... I also use Claudios Hopkick waaaaaay too much and get punished hard by better opponents. Trying to tone down on that move.

He mentioned backdash and how important it is to use so guess that's something I will learn as well. I just feel so slow on my backdashing and watching better players they move around so smoothly, which is because they cancel it I suppose?

I also gave Noctis a go and he feels super nice as well but really different. Will definetly play him more! Also thinking of looking into Paul as suggested, he was actually my "main" in Tekken 3 the few times I played it.

Btw, this game does a horrible job at teaching us noobs the game. Good thing there is so much content from the community.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Beat the nicest smurf before I went to bed last night. I was apparently the first loss he had and he gave me some pointers. My offense was apparently good but defense lacking tons... Which I know. I'm finding defense to be really tough in Tekken because you can't just block low and be safe. I also have problem reading throws and rarely get the tech. And I keep pressing buttons when I think it's safe just to get hit... I also use Claudios Hopkick waaaaaay too much and get punished hard by better opponents. Trying to tone down on that move.

He mentioned backdash and how important it is to use so guess that's something I will learn as well. I just feel so slow on my backdashing and watching better players they move around so smoothly, which is because they cancel it I suppose?

I also gave Noctis a go and he feels super nice as well but really different. Will definetly play him more! Also thinking of looking into Paul as suggested, he was actually my "main" in Tekken 3 the few times I played it.

Btw, this game does a horrible job at teaching us noobs the game. Good thing there is so much content from the community.

Don't call everyone you fight a smurf. You didn't understand what it is. At your beginner phase you wouldn't even recognize a real smurf.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
^^^ Though I can't see you play to give specific help, here are some general tips:

- Defense in Tekken is as simple or as involved as you can handle. Either way can be effective in the majority of situations against average-skilled opponents. However, you should "master" a simple approach at first because advanced defense requires a TON of system and character knowledge to work well.

You mention crouch blocking, so I assume you are coming from a 2D fighter background. As best as you can, try to get used to stand blocking in most Tekken scenarios. If you can, try to only block low if you see a slow sweep. Combine that with being aware to tap a punch button to break most throws when a character's arms reach out and you will avoid a lot of damage in this game.

That's the "simple" approach to defense. Add in other techniques as you feel more comfortable. For instance, you mention back dashing. Right now, don't worry too much about excessive back dashing until you get a feel for how to do it fluidly.

Instead, concentrate on throwing in a single back dash from time to time and then hold back as you read what the opponent does (i.e., two poke attacks~backdash and block). If they try to interrupt an expected third poke, you can try to whiff punish them. Just spamming back dash (unless you can master KBD) can keep you from being ready to retaliate in a split moment.

Also, it is critical that you eventually work in side stepping and walking. That is perhaps the single biggest weakness I see when comparing solid players to really good ones. It takes a long time to get a feel for this aspect of the game as it will probably feel random at first, but put it on your list of long-term goals to improve upon.

Last edited:

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Thank you!
Not sure when to do side steps though except when they come running at you. When I do it in a fight I just get hit.
I know this might anger some Tekken vets but sidestepping in this game is probably the least intuitive of all 3D games because for a lot of moves/characters, you can't just sidestep in any direction and avoid it. Different moves track to different directions depending on the move's preset properties and things like which leg/hand it is. So knowing which direction to track against a specific character or a specific move/string is also important.

I remember someone posted a list back on GAF (maybe it was me!???) from reddit that showed which characters to prefer sidestepping right to avoid their attacks and which to sidestep left.

Almost all running attacks can be sidestepped if you react to em coming, (which is part of how they're balanced else it'd be really broken to have a move that leaves you at point blank and like +7 or something).

Also worth noting that different characters have different sidestepping speeds. Ranging from complete Garbage like Gigas(s) to absolutely bonkers good like Lili. I think Claudio's is good-ish, not exceptional but not bad in any way either.

SquirrelSoup

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I know this might anger some Tekken vets but sidestepping in this game is probably the least intuitive of all 3D games because for a lot of moves/characters, you can't just sidestep in any direction and avoid it.
I'm not angry, i just think you're completely wrong =D

I do think VF is better in this regard, but SC is about the same, DoA is worse, and don't even get me started on some old dead 3D fighting games.

SquirrelSoup

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Nah, Soul Calibur's lateral evasion is better than Tekken's if solely because of 8-way run.
The evasion is better overall, obviously. But that's not the question here, it's "can you tell intuitively whether evasion to a certain direction is going to work or not", and in that regard it's about the same. SC absolutely has horizontals which don't track so well and verticals that track much better than they look like.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because of E3 no one noticed but World Tour Poland just run. I didn't know myself.

Knee, Qudans, LowHigh, Joey Fury, Kkokkoma, Super Akouma, Blackbeard and more were there. How did they even know where Poland was? lol

Knee was crazy, he picked different character against every opponent. Like he wanted to show he can beat everyone with anyone. Even picked DJ against Qudans DJ. You know it was on purpose.

This channel has fresh matches.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
The evasion is better overall, obviously. But that's not the question here, it's "can you tell intuitively whether evasion to a certain direction is going to work or not", and in that regard it's about the same. SC absolutely has horizontals which don't track so well and verticals that track much better than they look like.
But tracking verticals (and non-tracking horizontals) are usually exceptions in SC.

In Tekken there is no logic to the track-ability of moves whatsoever. A player has to learn what moves can be laterally dodged one character at a time. And even then, what works for one character that's doing the dodging does not necessarily work for another (i.e. Lili's effective step vs. Capo's pitiful step). There are even non-homing moves in the game than seem to track 300 degrees around the player for no obvious reason.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
So now Namco is saying there won't be any Tekken announcements at E3 because it's a show for announcing "new titles". I figured that awhile back, but their comments over the last week or so hinted they would reveal something tomorrow morning. Hmmm.

SquirrelSoup

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
But tracking verticals (and non-tracking horizontals) are usually exceptions in SC.In Tekken there is no logic to the track-ability of moves whatsoever.
I don't really agree, there are definite patterns to be found in what tracks well and what doesn't in Tekken and to what side it is. There's some really weird stuff sure, but that's in SC too.

And yeah, i didn't expect news at E3 (because EVO would be a much better place for it), until i saw this: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfKamjdX0AAU0A0.jpg
Bamco needs to get their ducks in a row with the messages they send out.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So now Namco is saying there won't be any Tekken announcements at E3 because it's a show for announcing "new titles". I figured that awhile back, but their comments over the last week or so hinted they would reveal something tomorrow morning. Hmmm.

I didn't expect anything but seeing that this E3 might be the one of the biggest, most important ones in recent years by sheer game announcements, it is a shame they have nothing to show. At least Harada could make up shit again about TxSF, lol.

But really, you have nothing?

I hope DOA6, MK11 will make them to do something. Again it's a shame that VF is dead. Only competition with that game forced them to push Tekken higher.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Yes, because Fated Retribution Akuma reveal at E3 2016 was a "new title."

I've stopped following Harada and Murray twitter accounts because it seems like they're trolling half all the time when it comes to game announcements.

Last edited: