• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Go in expecting a dumb action movie and you will have a good time. That bluray.com rating is right on the money as well. It's not as sharp as Dunkirk but the colours will blow you away.
I watched a steaming version of the great Wall free rental on Google play and it was a dumb fun action movie. I always thought there movie might pop in uhd HDR. Might pick it up on the cheap to watch again.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but I'll try anyway.

I've been slowly watching Best Buy to purchase a new 4K. After much consideration, I decided to roll with the Sony 900e (For the HDR, 4K and so forth). Right now, the 55" is going for $1200 (usually $1400), but I feel like it could drop down to $1000. Considering that we're a month out for the Super Bowl and how there is a good chance that the price will drop by that time, should I consider waiting to see? or jump on it now while it is lower?

While I'm sure there are better TVs out there, I've decided to settle on this one with Best Buy (since I have established a credit with them).

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
As someone going for an interview at Sony tomorrow, I'm struggling with this question that I think will come up...any help greatly appreciated;

"what are the benefits of Sony TVs other other brands?"

Whilst I can appreciate thier TVs and am indeed a big fan of Sony products (I used to always own Sony TVs in the old tube days), I'm struggling to think of any USPs or anything else to answer this question...it's not even like plugging in a PS4 will give advantages!

As a former Sony employee I'd also point out how they strive for their TVs to achieve accurate colors without blending them together and losing detail. I remember the marketing guys used to love comparing demos between Sony sets and competitor sets to show how competitor TVs would lose detail when there were subtle color variations but the Sony sets would show everything just hunky dory (both TVs on factory defaults, of course)

I might also mention how Sony strives to be at the forefront of display technology. They had the first consumer OLED TV (even if it was 11") and are big in the professional OLED display market, they demo'd their Crystal LED micro LED tech years ago and have commercialized it with their CLEDIS displays. I'd even mention the acoustic surface tech used on the consumer OLEDs as a USP as last year LG was just showing it off as a prototype while Sony was showing it off in a consumer product.

Others have already mentioned their image processing and upscaling, I'd definitely mention those.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
As a former Sony employee I'd also point out how they strive for their TVs to achieve accurate colors without blending them together and losing detail. I remember the marketing guys used to love comparing demos between Sony sets and competitor sets to show how competitor TVs would lose detail when there were subtle color variations but the Sony sets would show everything just hunky dory (both TVs on factory defaults, of course)

I might also mention how Sony strives to be at the forefront of display technology. They had the first consumer OLED TV (even if it was 11") and are big in the professional OLED display market, they demo'd their Crystal LED micro LED tech years ago and have commercialized it with their CLEDIS displays. I'd even mention the acoustic surface tech used on the consumer OLEDs as a USP as last year LG was just showing it off as a prototype while Sony was showing it off in a consumer product.

Others have already mentioned their image processing and upscaling, I'd definitely mention those.

Many thanks!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Motion. Their motion flow is arguably the best at improving clarity without making things look like a soap opera. Even though they use LG panels for their OLEDs I would consider a Sony purely for their video processing. Also they innovate still - look at the A1 using the screen display surface as a big speaker.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland

You have gotten some good answers so far, but I can add one more: The aesthetics of their TVs are, IMO, second to none. This is particularly true on their high end TVs. As trivial as it sounds, it's one of the main reasons I buy their TVs. The A1 OLED just dominates a room before you even turn the thing on.

I've been slowly watching Best Buy to purchase a new 4K. After much consideration, I decided to roll with the Sony 900e (For the HDR, 4K and so forth). Right now, the 55" is going for $1200 (usually $1400), but I feel like it could drop down to $1000. Considering that we're a month out for the Super Bowl and how there is a good chance that the price will drop by that time, should I consider waiting to see? or jump on it now while it is lower?

While I'm sure there are better TVs out there, I've decided to settle on this one with Best Buy (since I have established a credit with them).

I'm not sure how it works in the US, but here in Europe their TVs are usually at their lowest price now as they are all about to be replaced with the 2018 models in the coming months. Unless you get it on clearance, it probably won't go any lower.

If you can afford it at the current price just go for it.

Last edited:

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017

Wait until then or wait until its successor the X900F releases...

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how it works in the US, but here in Europe their TVs are usually at their lowest price now as they are all about to be replaced with the 2018 models in the coming months. Unless you get it on clearance, it probably won't go any lower.

If you can afford it at the current price just go for it.

Wait until then or wait until its successor the X900F releases...

The thing about waiting for the successors is if I do that, the costs will probably double while I miss out on getting the best TV I can for now. I think I heard that at around March-April, that is when TVs get rotated out. Still, it is good to know that waiting is a feasible option (as long as it isn't too long of waiting if I miss out). Thanks for the responses guys. ^_^

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
HDMI 2.1 spec coming out so late really did put a spanner in the works for TV's this year. These high end panels are all 120Hz native (and have been for years) just issue of the lack of bandwidth over HDMI spec lagging behind.

I honestly expect Sony to release successor to the Z9 late this year with HDMI 2.1 since that will be available for roll out mid this year. The original Z9 was released very late into the year and took people by surprise. Hopefully Sony plan to do the same with the successor.

That 10,000 Nit demo by Sony is stunning. Samsung microLED demo was stunning too. And, OLED keeps getting better while coming down in price. 2019-2020 is gonna be exciting as hell.

The biggest Meh moment for me was the Nvidia display showcase that monitor not only is using some outdated tech when it comes to the actual panel, but I don't expect it to be ready for sale till late this year and knowing Nvidia they'll make sure to overprice it. I was disgusted at how bad the local dimming algorithm was in the demo Linus showed off. Gross.

Last edited:

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, last time Sony showed off a monster FALD prototype they released the ZD9 in the same year, so... ZD10 this year with HDMI 2.1 would be very tempting.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, last time Sony showed off a monster FALD prototype they released the ZD9 in the same year, so... ZD10 this year with HDMI 2.1 would be very tempting.

Yup, it was def a sneak peak. I expect Z10 to use the X1 Extreme and prob push way higher native light output. Along with VRR, Native 120Hz 4K input, and Low input lag mode of the spec implemented should provide a compelling product.

Also, props to Samsung for pushing 15ms input lag on their new QLED this year along with VRR over older HDMI spec. They did the best they could within current available spec.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
so LG OLED owners..for SDR Game Mode what do you have these set to?

Contrast? Default is 95 in SDR game mode.
Color? Default is 65 in SDR game mode.
Color temp? Default is way too cool; i'm thinking around W35.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
so LG OLED owners..for SDR Game Mode what do you have these set to?

Contrast? Default is 95 in SDR game mode.
Color? Default is 65 in SDR game mode.
Color temp? Default is way too cool; i'm thinking around W35.
For SDR game content, you're much better off switching to isf Expert Dark/Bright and changing your input icon to PC. Best of both worlds: low latency and far more accurate colors. Just make sure to change the input icon off of PC if you will also be playing/viewing HDR content on that input, as HDR PC is broken right now and adds a severe yellow tint to the picture.

Last edited:

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017

Some debate about this earlier but the AF8 OLED does come in below the A1E on the product line.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017

Some debate about this earlier but the AF8 OLED does come in below the A1E on the product line.

I hope it doesn't artificially hike up the price of A1E, because as of now it's around €2500 for 55 and €3500 for 65, which is quite cheap when you think about the launch prices in the Netherlands.
Graph of 65 inch:

i

Ideally, it should be around 1500-2000 for the 55 inch, which would make it really competitive when compared to LG.
Dream scenario, sadly..

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, if a 10,000 nit LCD with excellent local dimming hits the market anytime soon, I may find myself backing away from OLED. I'd love to experience that.

That wording "coming in just below" makes me feel like the savings won't be significant, unfortunately

Well, the A1 is priced as a competitor to the LG E series. At minimum this should fall between the LG C and E, hopefully closer to the C.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta say, if a 10,000 nit LCD with excellent local dimming hits the market anytime soon, I may find myself backing away from OLED. I'd love to experience that.

I don't think it will be out any time soon, sadly. Still waiting for Sony's 4000 nits prototype from 2016 to hit the market.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
USPS lied. Nolan collection didn't arrive tonight. Still out for delivery tho, lol

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it will be out any time soon, sadly. Still waiting for Sony's 4000 nits prototype from 2016 to hit the market.

Figure the 65" Z9D hit about 45% of the advertised 4,000 nits so if it's eventual successor does the same here, we're still talking 4,500 nits on a 65" model. Imagine playing something like Horizon Zero Dawn on a 4,500 nit display.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say by 2021-2022 we'll see a display that meets the following spec:

10,000Nits, Full Rec 2020, 8K 120Hz Input, VRR, Input Lag 15ms or lower.

Hardest thing will be Full Rec 2020 coverage but already some promising advancements have been made the past few years.

Hell even now it blows my mind how stunning these high end sets look.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Figure the 65" Z9D hit about 45% of the advertised 4,000 nits so if it's eventual successor does the same here, we're still talking 4,500 nits on a 65" model. Imagine playing something like Horizon Zero Dawn on a 4,500 nit display.

It'd look a lot better than my 180 nits full field OLED...

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
arite so, I don't think game of thrones is gonna come out on 4K blu ray.

the other day, I was trying to watch game of thrones via hbo go on Ps4 pro on the e7, but...a lot of the scenes practically all of them seemed very dark. No matter what pictur emode I changed it to it seems that way. I'm guessing that's because a. hbo go doesn't go up to 4K, b. streaming just doesn't look nice on the e7, or c. I need to calibrate things?

so I figure, if I buy game of thrones season 7 on blu-ray, is the Ps4 pro gonna upscale it? Or does 4K upscaling on blu ray discs have to be through a 4K blu ray player?

Xliskin

Oct 28, 2017
Want to buy a new TV and I have zero experience with the new tech in tv realm

Want a tv have a good mixed usage 4k with really good vivid colors HDR10 and would be cool if it is smart the size range is between 32-43

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
So Sony told Vincent he was wrong about how many local dimming zones the biggest ZD9 has.
I wonder why the numbers aren't just published.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
So Sony told Vincent he was wrong about how many local dimming zones the biggest ZD9 has.
I think these manufacturers don't want an arms race when it comes to full array local dimming. It would benefit us, however would cut into their bottom line.

Any word on whether Samsung's new QLED really does have 10000 local dimming zones?

That was the Q9S (85" 8k) set that was said to have over 10000 dimming zones. According to what they told the press. However, the showroom floor is full of 2017 Samsung models while they are showing the new FALD set(s) for this year behind closed doors.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I recently purchased the Sony XBR900E back in late November. Loved every aspect of the tv but it did start developing dead pixels in various spots, around 6 total and it also had certain areas of the screen that developed a stain it seems on the outside coating. Tonight me and my wife returned the tv to BestBuy with their extended holiday return period and just as of an hour ago got the new set onto the stand...and then...disappointment set it. As I am screwing in the back screws of the tv to the base my wife says "babe their is a problem on this side". She knows how OCD I can be so I figured she was just messing with me but as I got around to the front there it was plain as day. The top portion of the frame about 8-10" across was not properly assembled which formed a bridge type buldge. You could run your hand across and feel the difference from screen to frame and then when you get to that part its just flat.

Out of curiosity I turned it on and no surprise all the light reflecting on the screen was drawn to that portion of the screen and on top of that along the top it was pinched so it gave the appearance as if you pressed your finger on the screen and it pushed the picture outward. With ALL that said, I really dont know what to do. I will be heading back to best buy to either exchange it, get a refund, or swap it out for a different tv altogether. Problem being I only spent $1000 on it during the black friday event for the 55" so I am not really sure I am going to find a tv with this picture quality and size for this price but I am totally open to suggestions. I am kinda getting over the Bravia series at this point but I feel I should give it one more try...

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I'll say it again, use a credit card with price protection and get a 55" OLED for $1000

Or save a little money and get the TCL 607

Honestly though, if I were in your situation and I had already had my heart set on the Bravia, I would just keep trying. That's just some bad luck. No way the majority of screens out there have some kind of defect.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'll say it again, use a credit card with price protection and get a 55" OLED for $1000

Or save a little money and get the TCL 607

Honestly though, if I were in your situation and I had already had my heart set on the Bravia, I would just keep trying. That's just some bad luck. No way the majority of screens out there have some kind of defect.

Yea, not sure where to find a OLED for $1000? Unless I am misunderstanding something. I do understand that I have only in house owned two of this particular set and it's probably just dumb (bad) luck on my part. I REALLY want to keep this tv cause I loved everything about it picture quality wise and it felt right having it hooked up to my PS4 Pro. Gonna go first thing in the morning and swap it out, just hoping they dont try and say we did something to cause it. Although not even sure how in the hell I would bend the frame and not crack or break any part. I did own the TCL by the way but noticed quite an improvement with this particular Sony tv. I never had them side by side though so who knows, maybe their isnt that big of a difference.

Deleted member 12177

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any word on whether Samsung's new QLED really does have 10000 local dimming zones?

It's Samsing and CES...so....

Until you see the q9s in the hands of reviewers, it's going to be hard to just go by what samsing tells you.

Also those expecting a 55-75inch mircoled 4K in the next couple of years at a competitive price should probably have other options ready.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Yea, not sure where to find a OLED for $1000? Unless I am misunderstanding something. I do understand that I have only in house owned two of this particular set and it's probably just dumb (bad) luck on my part. I REALLY want to keep this tv cause I loved everything about it picture quality wise and it felt right having it hooked up to my PS4 Pro. Gonna go first thing in the morning and swap it out, just hoping they dont try and say we did something to cause it. Although not even sure how in the hell I would bend the frame and not crack or break any part. I did own the TCL by the way but noticed quite an improvement with this particular Sony tv. I never had them side by side though so who knows, maybe their isnt that big of a difference.

No I'm sure there is a big difference. Just didn't know the level of quality you desired

Regarding the lower price: buy tv from Beach Camera or bhphotovideo.com, use credit card with price protection benefit, price match it to the tv at ebuyusa.com and receive a check for 500$ in the mail. Enjoy

Or wait a little bit for the B7 to drop in price maybe once the B8 are out

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Sony typically have fewer dimming zones than the competition, but greatly superior dimming algorithms that give them better performance overall. That seems like the main reason they would avoid listing numbers.
Could you actually even look at a 10000 nit full field 65" light source?
I don't think the HDR spec permits it, even if the display could do it.
Sony have - at least on previous models - also included an optional ABL that you could set the strength of, if preferred. It's off by default.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Sony typically have fewer dimming zones than the competition, but greatly superior dimming algorithms that give them better performance overall. That seems like the main reason they would avoid listing numbers.

This. It would just give Samsung marketing fodder when in reality, Sony gets more performance out of less zones

sector4

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched Vincent from HDTV tests video on the Sony 10,000nit 8K prototype. Holy moly that thing is a beast. As an owner and huge advocate for the Z9D, the prospect of Sony following it up with something even better is so exciting! Damn, I'd love to check it out O.o

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
tv.jpg

It is here MOFO!!!!

I have not unboxed yet. I am waiting for my wall mount to come today. I will finish the gaming room this weekend, install the wall mount, connect my brand new receiver, adjust my 5.1 setup, do cable management for the surround system.

My reclining sofa is coming today, so hopefully I can get everything done by next week.

I will post pictures later once it is finished

Last edited:

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
I don't think the HDR spec permits it, even if the display could do it.
Sony have - at least on previous models - also included an optional ABL that you could set the strength of, if preferred. It's off by default.

It's in the spec for Dolby Vision tho, right? 4,000 today and 10,000 "in the future" or something like that, if i'm remembering the white paper correctly.

It is here MOFO!!!!

I have not unboxed yet. I am waiting for my wall mount to come today. I will finish the gaming room this weekend, install the wall mount, connect my brand new receiver, adjust my 5.1 setup, do cable management for the surround system.

My reclining sofa is coming today, so hopefully I can get everything done by next week.

What new AVR? FYI the X7 LG's support Atmos via ARC back out to your AVR, which is used in some Netflix stuff now, so you could potentially do Atmos, assuming your AVR has the free amplifier channels to support it.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
tv.jpg

It is here MOFO!!!!

Naisu. Hopefully everything goes smoothly with setup.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's in the spec for Dolby Vision tho, right? 4,000 today and 10,000 "in the future" or something like that, if i'm remembering the white paper correctly.
Maximum peak brightness is not average or full-screen brightness. The spec does not permit a full white screen blasting at 10,000 nits.
10.000 nits? I guess i need welding glasses for this!
It's like looking out a window on an overcast day.
We do not perceive luminance linearly. 10,000 nits does not appear 100x brighter than 100 nits.

Here are a couple of examples of real-world values:
023017-hdr-image-with6okje.jpg

real_world_luminance_hckhz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.