Status
Not open for further replies.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
According to Vincent, the X900F seems to be Sony's highest end LED/LCD this year with FALD and X1 Xtreme. Sales of the X930E and X940E probably weren't much and the X900E probably cannibalized some sales so they just combined the two.

Likewise, it seems the X850F will come in a 43" with the 4K X1 regular chip so we could see at least better than midrange at that size again after a lacklustre IPS X800E 43" in 2017.

makes sense. companies have way too many damn skus

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe this... pretty sure I'll be swapping my 65" C7 with the 85" 900F. I want a big TV damnit. Saw pics off angle showcasing the bloom that made me "hellno.jpg", but will wait for the HDTVtest review. Why can't Sony confirm whether a ZD9 successor is coming out, jeez.

I want to see your current setup

Deleted member 4246

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is everyone else's banding?
vwkyTui.jpg

Mine shows up kinda nasty in some shows (I'm looking at you mindhunter)

That's not too bad. All the 2017 LG panels have some degree of banding.

I own both a 2016 LG OLED and a 2017 OLED. The 2016 has virtually no banding, but major image retention issues and some permanent burn in spots already. The 2017 set has some fairly significant banding (little worse than your set), but no major image retention issues and no permanent burn in spots (yet).

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe this... pretty sure I'll be swapping my 65" C7 with the 85" 900F. I want a big TV damnit. Saw pics off angle showcasing the bloom that made me "hellno.jpg", but will wait for the HDTVtest review. Why can't Sony confirm whether a ZD9 successor is coming out, jeez.
That's an unfixable side-effect of local dimming, unless someone invents a new type of LCD panel that doesn't lose contrast/brightness when viewed at an angle.
The issue is that the LCD panel loses brightness/contrast at a much higher rate than the LED array behind it, so the zones stand out.
This type of image is often used to prove the "inferiority" of FALD LCDs, but it really has no bearing on image quality when viewed on-axis, or when viewed off-axis in a bright room.
Same thing for over-exposed photographs. You can always make FALD look bad in an over-exposed photograph. Judge it from a properly-exposed photograph - or better yet, see it in person yourself.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Why can't Sony confirm whether a ZD9 successor is coming out, jeez.

lol, it'd cut into their sales so that'll never happen. It doesn't take much to realize that a Z9 successor is coming in the second half of the year, we just have to wait for it. New chipset they're showing off as a prototype, new uber tv they're showing off as a prototype... yeah, we're getting something new.

I am very curious to know how close Sony are to bringing CLEDIS into the realm of a consumer level product though. It's not like I'm expecting a CLEDIS TV this year, but from what we know they seem to have been working on the tech longer than Samsung has (at least from what they've shown the world), so I have to wonder how relatively close they are to a real product.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't make a blanket statement here. The KS8000 doesn't have good local dimming. I had (actually still have) a Panasonic plasma and went to a 900e and have had no issues with it. All things being equal, sure, get an OLED. But, if you're talking 65" good LED vs 55" OLED, it's a more interesting conversation.

I also think people overrate how good the blacks actually were on Plasmas. LCDs of the time had horrible black levels, so plasmas looked amazing, but they weren't OLED black. My Panasonic plasma doesn't get anywhere near that black without crushing blacks (maybe the Pioneers were better?). I'd say I'm actually overall more happy with the black levels on my 900e.

If you look at the measurements, this is provably false. 2011 Panasonic plasmas had a slightly better black level than the Sony Z9D and comparable to the best LCDs. The last two years of Panasonic and Samsung plasmas, and in particular the 9G Pioneer Kuro and the VT60/ZT60, have better black levels than any LCD to date. Now that said, I have both a 9G Kuro and a 65B7. The Pioneer is voltage-tweaked and looks amazing, a slight glow in a black room, but inky black on mixed content. It's only aside the OLED that you notice much of a difference.

The Pioneer plasmas actually crush black more than Panasonic ones. Panasonic has great black detail, probably even above reference? OLED crushes black a little too. That never stopped the Kuro from being the industry's consumer reference display for like 5 years running, or OLED for the last 3, but it is notable as a flaw for these displays.

They'd cannibalize lots of their own sales for the first half of the year. But yeah, it might be worth waiting unless you are trying to swap inside a return period or something...

Ayrtonsenna84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you used to be a Plasma owner,OLED is the way to go. Never look for an LED Panel.I made this mistake but you shouldn't:)

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
lol, it'd cut into their sales so that'll never happen. It doesn't take much to realize that a Z9 successor is coming in the second half of the year, we just have to wait for it. New chipset they're showing off as a prototype, new uber tv they're showing off as a prototype... yeah, we're getting something new.

I am very curious to know how close Sony are to bringing CLEDIS into the realm of a consumer level product though. It's not like I'm expecting a CLEDIS TV this year, but from what we know they seem to have been working on the tech longer than Samsung has (at least from what they've shown the world), so I have to wonder how relatively close they are to a real product.

CLEDIS is currently at 1000 nits right? Can it go higher? MicroLED would be much brighter than that.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
CLEDIS is currently at 1000 nits right? Can it go higher? MicroLED would be much brighter than that.

Yup, the displays shown last year (and the year before, IIRC) were 1,000 nits and 120Hz. If or when Sony makes a consumer product though, they won't be using the same panels as the professional/business CLEDIS units. We know they have the technical know-how to produce smaller segments with a higher PPI, they had those 5 years ago. Anyones guess where the nit level would be when or if they come out with a product for consumers though

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I'm curious, do you think a 4 or 8k panel capable of 10,000 nits would be enough to make you consider a LED?

I think everyone here needs to see such a thing in person to see exactly what super high peak brightness does for PQ.

Myself included since OLED seems plenty bright to me.
I really hope that Sony display is demoed around the US.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Huh? Plenty of 2018 models were shown off
???

Every manufacturer has announced their 2018 lineup.

Then show me something that can be called "new" for this year. HDM2.1? HDR12 or Dolby Vision + over 2000 of nits (GT Sport supports TVs up to 10000 nits in case some don't know) and dynamic Metadata?
If you tell me 8K TVs or MicroLEDs from Samsung then those are prototypes even beyond science fiction for now. I am talking the ground breaking techs supposed to see the light this year. If none of those is scheduled for this year then they are reintroducing their old models with a rebranding.

Yep. Zero mass market appeal right now, a lot of people have eggs on their face thinking manufacturers would implement it this year, it was all the talk during CES in this thread and same ol stuff this year.

This is what I am tlaking about. 2018 is almost screwed.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Does it matter?
HDMI 2.1 wasn't ready in time.

Well for some who are planning to get a TV set this year, yeah this matters a lot. People can't get TVs each year, you know, and especially people who want to play in 4K + HDR.

If such TVs are out so late then they will miss the PS4 Pro and XB O X (which already has support for HDMI 2.1). So such persons need to wait for next-gen consoles instead, to buy new sets.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Well for some who are planning to get a TV set this year, yeah this matters a lot. People can't get TVs each year, you know, and especially people who want to play in 4K + HDR.

If such TVs are out so late then they will miss the PS4 Pro and XB O X (which already has support for HDMI 2.1). So such persons need to wait for next-gen consoles instead, to buy new sets.

Alright, so they wait.
Just like they waited last year, and the year before that, and the year before that...

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious, do you think a 4 or 8k panel capable of 10,000 nits would be enough to make you consider a LED?

For me, no. Black is the foundation of good picture quality, and LCD hasn't solved its issues with black level yet. Also, LCD performs poorly in HDR when it has to do spectral highlights against a black or dark background. It either dims the highlight or elevates the dark portion... may be minimal with the top-tier LCDs with hundreds of dimming zones, but I know that I'd be watching a movie in the dark at some point, and there would be a star field or highlight that would make the issue pronounced. I'll move on from OLED and plasma once MicroLED is ready for consumers.

The only HDR content that I've watched on my OLED that left me wanting more brightness was Planet Earth II. There are so many near-full field scenes of brightness that it does disappoint a bit IMO, would probably be better on LCD, but that's not typical of the content that I consume...

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm looking at getting a 4k player.

Not sure which to get, preferably Sony.

But I did see they announced a 4k player with Dolby Vision on there. Worth waiting for that?

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Can anyone recommend a 4K screen that's less than 50"? I want the best possible quality at that size, not too price sensitive. It's to be used at a desk (so the viewer will be very close to the screen). Is there anything on the market that stands out?

Madness

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone recommend a 4K screen that's less than 50"? I want the best possible quality at that size, not too price sensitive. It's to be used at a desk (so the viewer will be very close to the screen). Is there anything on the market that stands out?
49" Sony X900E, possibly the 49" Samsung Q7F. But the Sony has better blacks and peak brightness whereaa the Samsung has near perfect color accuracy and better input lag. I personally would go with the Sony.

But since price is not an issue, wait to see whst the 2018 sets all have first.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

I tried to search for one since last year and I couldn't find any good one. All the good models in 2017 were 55" and over which are overpriced. The only last 49" model you could get is the KS8000/9000 from 2016 or its equivalents in other companies (eventhough the KS8000/9000 were the best in 2016) and those models aren't found on the markets anymore.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I think everyone here needs to see such a thing in person to see exactly what super high peak brightness does for PQ.

Myself included since OLED seems plenty bright to me.
I really hope that Sony display is demoed around the US.

Agree. At first I thought "who wants 10,000 nits?" let alone anything way beyond current sets. My C6 was Bright enough... and sometimes too bright.

But with the way the guy from HDTV Test on Youtube (forget his name) but I liked his video on the Sony 10k nits TV. The way he described the benefits gave me the impression that it has more to do than just "Brightness"....when it improves the overall picture.

Correct?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Agree. At first I thought who wants 10,000 nits let alone anything way beyond current sets. My C6 was Bright enough... and sometimes too bright.

But with the way the guy from HDTV Test on Youtube (forget his name) but I like his video on the Sony 10k nits TV. The way he described the benefits made understand that it has more to do than just "Brightness".

Correct?

What? When did Sony release a 10000 nit TV? The highest nit TV they released was around 1900 nits. Can you specify this person and what TV?

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
If you look at the measurements, this is provably false. 2011 Panasonic plasmas had a slightly better black level than the Sony Z9D and comparable to the best LCDs. The last two years of Panasonic and Samsung plasmas, and in particular the 9G Pioneer Kuro and the VT60/ZT60, have better black levels than any LCD to date. Now that said, I have both a 9G Kuro and a 65B7. The Pioneer is voltage-tweaked and looks amazing, a slight glow in a black room, but inky black on mixed content. It's only aside the OLED that you notice much of a difference.

The Pioneer plasmas actually crush black more than Panasonic ones. Panasonic has great black detail, probably even above reference? OLED crushes black a little too. That never stopped the Kuro from being the industry's consumer reference display for like 5 years running, or OLED for the last 3, but it is notable as a flaw for these displays.

They'd cannibalize lots of their own sales for the first half of the year. But yeah, it might be worth waiting unless you are trying to swap inside a return period or something...

All I can go on is what my eyes see and, without crushing blacks, my Panasonic ST30 is nowhere near "inky" blacks, unless someone can suggest some better settings than I've been able to figure out over the years I've had it.

Let's put it this way: If I turn the TV on to a black screen, I can very much tell the TV is on.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
No If i need to be honest. The picture quality on a self emmissive Panel is simply unbeatable by any LED based Panel.

You can make a case for SDR content but HDR? Not even close. OLED can't compete with 10000 nits which is the maximum HDR luminance spec. There would be zero tonemapping required by the LED. It wouldn't even be a contest, actually. Vincent Teoh was really excited for a reason.

Only MicroLED/CLEDIS could possibly compete with a 10000 nit LED monster for HDR picture quality.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I can go on is what my eyes see and, without crushing blacks, my Panasonic ST30 is nowhere near "inky" blacks, unless someone can suggest some better settings than I've been able to figure out over the years I've had it.

Let's put it this way: If I turn the TV on to a black screen, I can very much tell the TV is on.

The ST30 has a similar or better black level as the Z9D. But that's still high enough to produce a definite "glow" in a dark room. The VT60/ZT60 and the 9G Kuro panels, particularly the 50" ones, have less of a glow. OLED is the spoiler for these, still- once you see true absolute black with consistency across all content, it really is an eye-opener.

You can make a case for SDR content but HDR? Not even close. OLED can't compete with 10000 nits which is the maximum HDR luminance spec. There would be zero tonemapping required by the LED. It wouldn't even be a contest, actually. Vincent Teoh was really excited for a reason.

Only MicroLED/CLEDIS could possibly compete with a 10000 nit LED monster for HDR picture quality.

I disagree, and in 2017 OLEDs won just about every major display shootout, including those with HDR content, so there doesn't seem to be consensus on what you are saying.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I disagree, and in 2017 OLEDs won just about every major display shootout, including those with HDR content, so there doesn't seem to be consensus on what you are saying.

There's no 10000 nit LED available for a shootout, so I'm not sure what you mean. And even the shootout host didn't agree with the results when the LED in question was at 1800 nits.

Matarick

Nov 11, 2017
https://slickdeals.net/f/11146935-y...ce-varies-by-location?src=catpagev2_catnav_tv

40" Samsung MU6000 series for only $170, YMMV, but if you need a second smart tv or 4k television, it is okay. No real wide color gamut or good HDR but still.

Thank goodness that I found one of these since I really want to view some 4k content despite using a Panasonic 42" TC-P42S30 for about 6 years. I cannot afford an OLED right now and I have a PS Pro and XBOX One X. I will set it up this weekend and I will move the Panasonic plasma in the bedroom when I get a rotating stand. I also got an extended warranty too.

Ayrtonsenna84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

OLEDs still the best HDR Performer imo. Around 750nits combined with Infinite contrast,made my eyes bleed in a dark room.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
XF90 will probably be the mid-range TV to get this year. It's using the X1 Extreme processor now. Last year's equivalent was on the X1 only, so I'm expecting a good improvement in picture quality, particularly Dolby Vision support being the notable addition.

That's quite promising. Wondering what the price will be. If Samsung's TV's don't end up doing much for me then I may end up going for the XF90. I was set on an OLED TV but, I just can't justify the price. Still using a 1080p LED TV from 2013 though, so anything will be a pretty big improvement.

Nightwing

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

OLEDs still the best HDR Performer imo. Around 750nits combined with Infinite contrast,made my eyes bleed in a dark room.

Have you guys actually seen it in person and compare it? Just like Vincent Teoh?

Not released. But a prototype demoed for CES attendees.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017

Looks like the 900f replaces the 900e and they carry over the 930e 940e and Z9D while stocks last. Makes sense if 2019 is the big year.

900f also has some interesting motion resolution tech. Still it's hard to jump on a new 900f in 2018. Shame if wasn't out a year ago. I was in that limbo land of 900e and 930e.

I'm guessing Polyphony Digital is handling the DV update. Coming soon.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
According to Vincent, the X900F seems to be Sony's highest end LED/LCD this year with FALD and X1 Xtreme. Sales of the X930E and X940E probably weren't much and the X900E probably cannibalized some sales so they just combined the two.

Likewise, it seems the X850F will come in a 43" with the 4K X1 regular chip so we could see at least better than midrange at that size again after a lacklustre IPS X800E 43" in 2017.
Interesting development.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
With 2018 being the year of the World Cup is hecking disappointing that most of the lineup is 2017-redux (aside maybe Samsung that apparently showed new stuff behind closed doors)

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
How is everyone else's banding?
Mine shows up kinda nasty in some shows (I'm looking at you mindhunter)

Roughly on par with mine. I noticed a bit when watching mind hunter. I also get a bonus very faint yellow bar that's obvious every time I boot up Destiny 2. Other than that, mine doesn't bother me (but I'll probably still get it swapped this year).

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
So what's the equivalent OLED at CES?
The next bar for HDR for OLEDs to pass is being able to hit 1000 nits in certain HDR scenarios to reduce the need for tone-mapping for HDR10 content and hit a level of brightness similar to what the 2016 and 2017 TV sets were able to achieve. This most likely will not happen with the 2018 sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.