Status
Not open for further replies.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the panels are very hit or miss in terms of uniformity. i had to take 2 sets back. sounds like you got one of the bad ones.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Inevitable!!! Mwa ha ha! Who are these people who buy 4K TVs to watch a lot of CNN (or other static logo channels)? :)
Normal people? I used to "watch" a lot of Sky news, then I got hit in the knee with an OLED.
I wouldn't go that far. I don't actively avoid anything on mine, and have zero issues. My OLED is used as a PC monitor like 70 percent of the time too.

IMO there's a bit of a panel lottery in regards to how susceptible your set might be to burn in.
Yeah some variance exists but after a time the same content will degrade the pixels faster and result in burn-in.
Could you define "a lot" and "inevitable" because honestly this is starting to get a little annoying - honestly, it's anecdotal, but I would say my TV is displaying something with a logo (Disney, inevitably) for the majority of its usage-hours for standard TV and I've not had anything across either plasma (ST30, VT30) and OLED (930v, C7).

Burn in IS real, but it's so overblown a concern as to by hyperbolic, which was my point to B7 Bigot guy. I'm not denying it exists, it absolutely does. I'm also not saying LED doesn't have it's benefits - not least of all brightness - but it really feels people are stretching to justify their purchases and it shouldn't be like this, it should be gamers and AV aficionados helping each other and looking out for one another, not spreading absolute rubbish because they regret purchasing XXX model of TV.
People need to know that some content isn't advisable to be viewed on OLEDs. CNN is a big no no.
I heard the same thing when I bought a RPTV. I heard it again when I bought a plasma. The mantra never ends, but I've yet to experience it and I just use my TV's. I don't baby them.

The ridiculous thing is that people feel the need to drag it up again and again in this thread. And no doubt, it'll drag out for several pages like it always does.
A guy got burn-in and then the defense force rolled in. Are we the heathens not allowed to participate in discussion?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Blooming is by far the worst aspect of the Sony 900s and 930s. On a black screen you'll notice large blooming every time text pops up or if volume levels or a hub appears at the bottom of the screen. It's glaringly obvious. On the other hand, it's not noticeable whenever there is a color picture on the screen.

Every television set has its own drawbacks. You have to decide what you can live with and what you can't.
Doesn't local dimming help? I've learned to accept blooming on my Samsung ks9000, where you get full height pillars of bloom so anything is pretty much an improvement if I ever decide to get a new TV

Last edited:

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
In terms of panel uniformity/vertical banding, are there any examples of good or bad uniformity that people have pictures/video of? I have a C7 and I still find mine distracting to the extent where I'm still considering swapping it. But I don't want to bother if I'm just going to get another panel that's the same or worse.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
In terms of panel uniformity/vertical banding, are there any examples of good or bad uniformity that people have pictures/video of? I have a C7 and I still find mine distracting to the extent where I'm still considering swapping it. But I don't want to bother if I'm just going to get another panel that's the same or worse.

there's a thread on avs dedicated to that over at avs

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...uniformity-discussion-banding-vignetting.html

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Normal people? I used to "watch" a lot of Sky news, then I got hit in the knee with an OLED.

Yeah some variance exists but after a time the same content will degrade the pixels faster and result in burn-in.

People need to know that some content isn't advisable to be viewed on OLEDs. CNN is a big no no.
A guy got burn-in and then the defense force rolled in. Are we the heathens not allowed to participate in discussion?
So you changed your viewing habits instead of buying TV that fits your needs?! That's INSANE!

Also, doesn't sky have transparent logo? Your whole situation is weird...

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
For those with an X900E TV, when using a device like a PS4 Pro (or any PS4 for that matter), when you press the Display button on the remote and it gives you the resolution, does it also say if it's an HDR signal? It doesn't for me and I'm guessing it's not supposed to, but thought I'd ask anyways.

Bitsmurch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks! I'll get some hands on time at Magnolia, but it sounds like if I plan on using Apple 4K I should be ok

No problem at all. Like I say I've got a streaming box and tend to use the tvs apps instead because it's easier. I only really use the Roku for hdr YouTube

From what I can gather the early android tv was a mess but the latest firmware on this TV is fine.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you changed your viewing habits instead of buying TV that fits your needs?! That's INSANE!

It sounds more 'made up' than weird. You ain't gonna get burn in watching Sky News.

The thing I always appreciate about these burn-in discussions, is how we who have gamed for years on these sets, without issue, are constantly dismissed yet a rtings video where a panel is deliberately abused is somehow used as a bar of what to expect with normal usage. If I were looking at buying a TV, I would want to know real life experience of owners, not base all my understanding on stress test videos.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I use low for regular HDR content as the effect of DC is lessened in that state and I personally think it does harm the overall image for movies and TV content. It's only on in the first place for that content to enable the active HDR ability.

For HDR gaming, I really can't tell the difference. I went back and forth between my game setting where it was on High and my Techincolor setting where it was off and didn't really see a difference. Probably because the Game setting is so damn dim by default but either way Far Cry 5 looked solid on both settings.

Low (for gaming) will cause serious black crush, try switching it on and off, whilst on a dark scene, it's very aggressive.

Rudiano

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Has the recent Samsung KS8000 update made Youtube worse? I mean before I could play any video on the app and when it loaded/pressed pause it would tell you the resolution/if its HDR at the top right, but now it no longer does that. Instead I have to click on those 3 dots and click on Quality to see what resolution it is playing at, and it doesnt even state HDR anymore :-/

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017

It wasn't exactly viewing, just liked to leave the channel on for background noise.

I think the little sky news logo at the top is red and there's also the yellow scrolling bar at the bottom of the screen. And the huge "breaking news" thing is red like every other news channel.

Manac0r

Oct 30, 2017
UK
In regards to dynamic contrast for gaming- ideally set to off with in game options modified for best PQ.

Note: changing from low to medium will require rebalancing in game options.

Test: Gears 4 HDR setting menu - adjust DC and you will see how it affects both whites and blacks.

If however if you need to use DC just recalibrate in game darkness to compensate. Also might be worth increasing colour as it has a tendency to wash colours out, 57 is what I have seen recommended.

Each game will need a little tweaking to find the sweet spot.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
That's cool man, enjoy the new set! Upgrading to UHD is a dream come true. The 900E is the best value to performance around and the ideal temporary upgrade if you think you'll be looking at 2.1 in a couple years.
Well shit, guess I'm getting an xe93 after all. Cancelled the x900e order because I could upgrade to a refurb xe93 for 150,- more. Hyped as hell!

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
No problem at all. Like I say I've got a streaming box and tend to use the tvs apps instead because it's easier. I only really use the Roku for hdr YouTube

From what I can gather the early android tv was a mess but the latest firmware on this TV is fine.

Thanks again, very helpful. If they have any massive FW updates or you have more comments (positive or negative), could you let me know? Thank you!

Manac0r

Oct 30, 2017
UK
New LG update is for GDPR terms and conditions. Which are ridiculous but anyway . Also added placebo affect of syncing EU to korea and US while simultaneously 'fixing' HDR game mode.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Would you guys consider this level of tint okay? This is from my 55" C7 that had a full panel replacement recently, was then tested for hours and deemed "fixed" before being sent back to me. It's specifically the blue running across the top and bottom that is bugging me...

Whit_Replacement.jpg

kyTAMc

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Would you guys consider this level of tint okay? This is from my 55" C7 that had a full panel replacement recently, was then tested for hours and deemed "fixed" before being sent back to me. It's specifically the blue running across the top and bottom that is bugging me...

Whit_Replacement.jpg

kyTAMc

While no set is ever going to be perfect we're talking about an item you spent over $1000 on. If it's bugging you (in real world content) I would get it replaced or fixed. In pictures it doesn't look too bad though.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Was playing Sea of Thieves tonight on my new LG B7. I was sailing with my lights out and it was both nighttime and cloudy, so it was super dark in the game. Suddenly I see tons of vertical bands across my screen, like super noticeable in this dark scene.

Is this normal? Anything I can do?

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Was playing Sea of Thieves tonight on my new LG B7. I was sailing with my lights out and it was both nighttime and cloudy, so it was super dark in the game. Suddenly I see tons of vertical bands across my screen, like super noticeable in this dark scene.

did you take a picture of it? I havnt played Sea of Thieves yet, but some games (Witcher 3, GTAV) who render their skies with a slow dissolving gradient produce banding at certain low light levels. That would be on the actual game side and not on the display side. But not having played Sea of Thieves yet that is just a guess.

Manac0r

Oct 30, 2017
UK
5% grey test? I ll pass...hmm not going down that route.. there in lies madness.

Also Master of Anima might be perfect game to take advantage of dat OLED if it has HDR??!!?

Trailer:

Last edited:

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017

Normal. Some sets of the same brand/model have more or less banding. What you are seeing is one of the challenges with OLED and LED. On a LED it is noticeable in a lot of different scenarios. While on the OLED it can also appear in different scenarios based on how bad it is. The situation you are seeing, where is was dark in the game and saw the bands is exactly how i first noticed banding on my set. When I bought my OLED, I specifically looked for banding and felt it was great on my set. But it was not until months later when watching a movie with a dark scene, plus panning that i saw it. Sea of Thieves in certain lighting conditions will show it exactly as you see it. On my set it is not too bad and I can live with it, but it is irritating. My ZD9 however is free of these issues.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
For those with an X900E TV, when using a device like a PS4 Pro (or any PS4 for that matter), when you press the Display button on the remote and it gives you the resolution, does it also say if it's an HDR signal? It doesn't for me and I'm guessing it's not supposed to, but thought I'd ask anyways.

No but I wish it could though. You have to do something like action menu -> picture settings, and a HDR tag pops up at the top of the menu if HDR is on. Kinda convoluted.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
The guy says picture quality overall on the Q9 better than a OLED. That's odd considering rtings pretty much said the exact opposite.

I do think it's possible for folks to "prefer" one brand's look over others. That reviewer does seem to be high on Samsungs in general (and this year's Q9FN moreso). I mostly trust Rtings and Vincent these days, but I would always base my purchase on a combination of dozens of respected reviews.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017

You said the only way to avoid burn-in is to actively avoid static content. That's not the case at all, as many here can attest to.

If you're going to play 500+ hours of a HUD heavy game with lots of red and yellows an not mix in other content, prob not a good idea. I also wouldn't leave my OLED on CNN all day every day.

My OLED gets static content all of the time though, seeing as it's my PC monitor. 9 months and thousands of hours later everything is fine.

I've played tons and tons of hours of games with bright yellow HUD elements, like Destiny 2 and Overwatch too.

Will some people get burn? Absolutely.

Saying it's inevitable and spreading FUD about it is ridiculous though.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
You said the only way to avoid burn-in is to actively avoid static content. That's not the case at all, as many here can attest to.

If you're going to play 500+ hours of a HUD heavy game with lots of red and yellows an not mix in other content, prob not a good idea. I also wouldn't leave my OLED on CNN all day every day.

My OLED gets static content all of the time though, seeing as it's my PC monitor. 9 months and thousands of hours later everything is fine.

I've played tons and tons of hours of games with bright yellow HUD elements, like Destiny 2 and Overwatch too.

Will some people get burn? Absolutely.

Saying it's inevitable and spreading FUD about it is ridiculous though.

Ditto on this. Heard the same things about plasma when I got mine 9 or 10 years ago.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
The guy says picture quality overall on the Q9 better than a OLED. That's odd considering rtings pretty much said the exact opposite.

I looked for blooming and saw none. Pure White next to pure black produced no noticeable bloom which really IMO makes the q9f the first to have a true OLED look to the picture. Blacks where OLED like jet blacks as best I could tell (being out on the main floor).

comeon.png
Yeah right, I ain't buyin it fam.

Status
Not open for further replies.