• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the right thread for this (if not, I'd love the be pointed in the right direction), but is Mad Max Fury Road 4K worth checking out? I have the normal Blu-ray and I LOVE the film, but I've read some bad things about the 4K version. Does anyone have any experience with this?

It has a different color grade than the Blu-Ray release which was more aligned to the theatrical release so it can be jarring to watch the 4K release at first. Aside from that, the UHD is an upgrade in every way.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Im glad I'm not the only one thinking that way! I've already prepped my wife for the inevetable "Honey, we need a 85" mLed now" discussion for 2022 (and the launch of FF7r)

lol

Just had that conversation to get all the gear for my Atmos system (after getting the 65C7 last year).

I think mLED is probably the big one to wait for. I have to imagine if some of the banding/vignetting on my C7 irks me a bit (and it does) that stretch that out to 85" and it would probably drive me nuts. Same for the typical uniformity issues w/ FALDs when bright areas are shown against a dark background.

Seems like mLED should hopefully be the holy trinity of brightness, blacks and uniformity...

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
lol

Just had that conversation to get all the gear for my Atmos system (after getting the 65C7 last year).

I think mLED is probably the big one to wait for. I have to imagine if some of the banding/vignetting on my C7 irks me a bit (and it does) that stretch that out to 85" and it would probably drive me nuts. Same for the typical uniformity issues w/ FALDs when bright areas are shown against a dark background.

Seems like mLED should hopefully be the holy trinity of brightness, blacks and uniformity...

Honestly I still think CLEDIS would have been the holy grail had it not been so damn expensive to make.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I got a serious problem on my B7 now.

I constantly switch the input in and out of PC mode for games. PC mode for SDR gaming as it lets me set the color gamut to the proper setting, then out of PC for HDR gaming.

All of the sudden Color Gamut has become greyed out in PC mode, and fixed to Wide. Nothing I do is fixing it. What happened?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I have tended to go a really, really long time without replacing a TV. Like decades..

Then my 2005 Pioneer died, so that made sense to replace with OLED in 2016. I have no idea how I'm gonna get that next hotness, but I will really want to upgrade for VRR.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
C6 is absolutely capable of downgrading, I done it myself. The process isn't too difficult, gotta get a copy of the old firmware though which might be difficult. I found the new HDR tone mapping to look incredibly disappointing compared to the old one so I've been much happier since. I'd suggest seriously looking into downgrading your firmware if it's upsetting you too much, I doubt LG is going to be releasing any big firmwares for the 2016 models and the new firmware doesn't really add much besides HLG so you should be good if downgraded.
Which version are you running? I'm guessing you don't have a copy handy?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Okay, I got a serious problem on my B7 now.

I constantly switch the input in and out of PC mode for games. PC mode for SDR gaming as it lets me set the color gamut to the proper setting, then out of PC for HDR gaming.

All of the sudden Color Gamut has become greyed out in PC mode, and fixed to Wide. Nothing I do is fixing it. What happened?
What picture preset is it on? You can still set it to game mode in PC mode I think, which would grey out that option.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
I was selling Fujitsu plasmas at $15k. The picture quality now available at the $1500 range (sale prices, but hey) is astonishing.
Holy shit I totally forgot about Fujitsu! God the processing on those things was just incredible.

It's a little bit sad that you can't see as many mom and pop type places make a go of it as you can on the audio side. Fujitsu, Pioneer, Oppo, (sort of) Hitachi.

Sad.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
XKhrkRT.png

blu-ray.com updated their specs section to include what type of HDR is on the disc, and whether it's a 4K DI or upscaled 4K. That's handy!

Bout a page and a half late

Last edited:

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait

Just leaving this here, haven't even watched it yet.

EDIT: Seems like there's some error in lookup table and LG offers fixing this even after warranty for 2017 models? Quite nice if they actually do this.

It's good to hear that it was not a burn in issue.

Should we make a new thread about it?
Just so we can warn people who don't check this thread.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

That was not the conclusion that I came to from that video.

The 25% window issue was fixed with a change to the LUT, but the burn-in from the CNN logo was not.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017

That was not the conclusion that I came to from that video.

The 25% window issue was fixed with a change to the LUT, but the burn-in from the CNN logo was not.
Yeah, the CNN is still apparent on those TVs, figures, but at least the TV that had FIFA on was fixed to completely free of.. "burn-in".
Doesn't really change much, 10 weeks of 20/7 Gaming not leaving burn-in is enough to ease my mind at least, but people who love to fear monger will still linger to that CNN example.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
I watch a lot of news channels (including CNN) and game on my B6 non-stop. The set gets super heavy use on the weekend by multiple people. Still no burn-in almost 2 years later... Surprised this fear mongering is still going on, but then also not surprised at all.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Honestly the main reason I don't game on my OLED.

I still have the Destiny 1 HUD burned in to my Panasonic plasma, all these years later.

Yeah i burned D1 and Overwatch into my Panasonic plasma. Have played D2 and Overwatch about as much if not more on my C7 (D2 in HDR also) and no IR anywhere. Seems to be highly variable by panel (with 7s generally fairing better than 6s)

Bitsmurch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's tedious, I game on my oled tv, I watch movies, I watch news channels.

The damn thing is never off, not a sniff of retention anywhere

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Yeah, the CNN is still apparent on those TVs, figures, but at least the TV that had FIFA on was fixed to completely free of.. "burn-in".
Doesn't really change much, 10 weeks of 20/7 Gaming not leaving burn-in is enough to ease my mind at least, but people who love to fear monger will still linger to that CNN example.

There is burn in on the Fifa one, but its pretty reasonable. Still enough that it would drive me nuts, but I'd like to think I'd be more responsible with the screen than 10 weeks of Fifa :p

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
There is burn in on the Fifa one, but its pretty reasonable. Still enough that it would drive me nuts, but I'd like to think I'd be more responsible with the screen than 10 weeks of Fifa :p
You're right, pretty miniscule and true, I hope most OLED owners know better than do stuff 10 week straight. Also I'm not sure if its IR or burn-in since someone said actual burn-in would appear darker rather than lighter.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit I totally forgot about Fujitsu! God the processing on those things was just incredible.
I know! And I loved their industrial design on those early panels - they didn't care about the looks of the frame, just giving you the best damn flat panel you could buy.
Seems to be highly variable by panel (with 7s generally fairing better than 6s)
Weird, you addressed the unlikely-but-possible issue of burn-in/image retention without acting like anyone who brings it up is an idiot, or telling someone who has experienced it that they are "making it up." Are you sure you belong in this thread? ;)

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Just tried to downgrade my C6 firmware and it was working. I cancelled it though as I want to take some before/after pics. We'll see.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
I know! And I loved their industrial design on those early panels - they didn't care about the looks of the frame, just giving you the best damn flat panel you could buy.

Yeah, weren't they just a super simple rectangular cubic frame? Like most of NECs commercial stuff?

Weird, you addressed the unlikely-but-possible issue of burn-in/image retention without acting like anyone who brings it up is an idiot, or telling someone who has experienced it that they are "making it up." Are you sure you belong in this thread? ;)

tbh I have made the statement about Overwatch, Destiny, and my panasonic plasma probably no less than ten times in this thread. As i've said previously, this whole thing would be easier to probably just start responding with "yup, if you're concerned, don't buy one" instead of putting my two cents in. I should probably just stop responding to those all together...

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017

Realistically, it's those responses that bother me SO MUCH MORE than the actual question. Yes it's in the OP, yes you can do your own research, but man, if I'm spending $2000+ on a television and my use case is mostly gaming, I'd be asking the same questions of actual users. If everyone handled the questions like Ronin, we'd be way better off.

jordn613

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone post a link to the actual firmware and a guide to downgrade a C7 to the "good gaming mode" version? I'm in the US.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I was selling Fujitsu plasmas at $15k. The picture quality now available at the $1500 range (sale prices, but hey) is astonishing.
Agreed. I am blown away by the value you can get on the 55" to 65" inch sets for $1500-2000. You can get the 2nd tier of best LCDs and OLEDs at a very reasonable price, pretty much have your pick of the litter. That's why right now (last year, 2017 models) are the way to go for the majority of average consumers. It's finally the ideal time to upgrade to 4K for most enthusiasts. It's certainly not going to get any cheaper.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i burned D1 and Overwatch into my Panasonic plasma. Have played D2 and Overwatch about as much if not more on my C7 (D2 in HDR also) and no IR anywhere. Seems to be highly variable by panel (with 7s generally fairing better than 6s)
Image retention was very severe on my C7.

Playing the witness in 4k HDR, it would take a while for the letters of the opening (black letters on a white background) splash screen to fully disappear.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, weren't they just a super simple rectangular cubic frame? Like most of NECs commercial stuff?
Yup! Usually silver (at least the ones I remember) with no adornment, and a tiny little logo.

As i've said previously, this whole thing would be easier to probably just start responding with "yup, if you're concerned, don't buy one" instead of putting my two cents in. I should probably just stop responding to those all together...
Nah, your responses give super-helpful context: you've experienced it with previous tech, you haven't experienced it with your current set, but it's out there and varies by year.

Realistically, it's those responses that bother me SO MUCH MORE than the actual question. Yes it's in the OP, yes you can do your own research, but man, if I'm spending $2000+ on a television and my use case is mostly gaming, I'd be asking the same questions of actual users. If everyone handled the questions like Ronin, we'd be way better off.
A-yup. The compulsion to defend a TV tech so with such vigor is alien to me, but then again I never got into the console wars either.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis

Playing the witness in 4k HDR, it would take a while for the letters of the opening (black letters on a white background) splash screen to fully disappear.
I keep meaning to check what I have brightness/OLED light at to see if it's way lower than other people who have those issues. Maybe that's why (though i still think it's well documented that variability in panels is high)

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
A-yup. The compulsion to defend a TV tech so with such vigor is alien to me, but then again I never got into the console wars either.

I think many people's problem with the question and following debate isn't the content so much as the fact that it seems to occur every week or so and sometimes it carries on for multiple pages. It's like the previous pages of this thread don't exist, the statements in the OP don't exist, and there isn't a search function. It's just very frustrating to the helpful people who frequent the thread daily to participate and answer questions, etc.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I think many people's problem with the question and following debate isn't the content so much as the fact that it seems to occur every week or so and sometimes it carries on for multiple pages. It's like the previous pages of this thread don't exist, the statements in the OP don't exist, and there isn't a search function. It's just very frustrating to the helpful people who frequent the thread daily to participate and answer questions, etc.
I agree, but the point being made here is there's a reasonable way to respond: "yeah, this comes up, it's mentioned in the OP but here's a one-sentence summation," and so on. The reason it tends to drag is that there are a few posters that simply cannot let the topic be brought up without making sure that their perfect experience isn't shouted the loudest, when the worst-case scenario is someone buying a TV that uses different technology than theirs.

I'm in the same boat: I post in this thread regularly, check it daily, and attempt to help when I've got relevant information (or silly gifs). At this point, I'm with Bumrush: I only get frustrated with the hyperbolic responses, not people asking questions.

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017

How long is "a while"?
Several seconds, minutes, days, weeks, months?

I have some retention with the yellow boxes on the Amazon app, but it disappear after a couple of seconds.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the table is meant to show the various broadcast standards (for the US at least). Looks like there's a two phase approach for the UHD Forum, and then ATSC 3.0 (we'rd on 2.0 now). Looks like Phase B should include DV, as well as ATSC 3.0 including it. Also, love to see that object based audio looks like it will be standard as well.

(others feel free to chime in; hardly my area of expertise, just trying to interpret what i'm seeing here)
Actually there never was a switch to ATSC 2.0. Broadcasters still use ATSC 1.0.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but the point being made here is there's a reasonable way to respond: "yeah, this comes up, it's mentioned in the OP but here's a one-sentence summation," and so on. The reason it tends to drag is that there are a few posters that simply cannot let the topic be brought up without making sure that their perfect experience isn't shouted the loudest, when the worst-case scenario is someone buying a TV that uses different technology than theirs.

I'm in the same boat: I post in this thread regularly, check it daily, and attempt to help when I've got relevant information (or silly gifs). At this point, I'm with Bumrush: I only get frustrated with the hyperbolic responses, not people asking questions.

Couldn't have said it better myself

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Now we're talking about how much people talk about the burn in, instead of talking about the burn in.

I'm not ready for how meta this is getting.

=P

Was the switch to digital the 2.0 one? That's what I thought. As said previously, it's hardly my area of expertise.
The digital switch was to ATSC 1.0. NTSC was the analog standard in North America in use prior to ATSC 1.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.