• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Why are people praising Q9F so much when it doesn't have Dolby Vision. Do they just not care or is it not as important as I thought it is. Isn't Netflix HDR content in Dolby Vision only? How else are you watching HDR stuff? Theres not that many Bluray releases yet and most of them suck in terms of 4K HDR

It's a gaping flaw in Samsung's TV's not having DV, but it is what it is, Netflix do HDR10 and DV, I think they will backtrack and add DV at some point tbh, HDR10+ has a big ole hill to climb.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Watching Vaiana for the first time on my (still uncalibrated) LG B7 I bought for my own christmas gift...drool. It's not even 4k, but compared to my 10 y/o Sharp LCD and the cheapo LED I had in my dorm room, phew.

Now I just need calibration thingies and a 4k player. That might have to wait till PS5, though.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
I got my C8 set up at last. was waiting for a new shiny stand to turn up but the delivery was delayed to Monday. So first. I only have my PC to plug in right now (I recently moved and things are messy) and yes, it is a little dimmer. However it's not horrendous and I haven't knocked the OLED light up to 100 to compensate. in fact it's at 65 right now. Better to get used to a slightly less glaring display. Played some Destiny 2 in HDR. The difference between this C8 and my KS7500 was immediate. Better blacks, better colour, better definition, better motion. Yes I know about burn in and yes it is a pain. This means that yes, I need to pay attention to what I'm doing which is kinda' not what you want to do when you're having fun. But it just means I have to be a bit more circumspect. In the end it's a fabulous display and very, very impressive.

Now as for Apple tv, do films I've redeemed from UHD discs like Logan which I can download on my iPhone show up on Apple TV?

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty interesting, thought I'd have a look at the Rtings burn in test results, didn't realise that OLED's peak brightness is going up and up over time, in 1000 hours, it's gone up over 100nits in some cases, I wonder when it'll level off? We could be at 4000nits this time next year! ;)

screenshot_20180414-19eqft.png
For any LG owners concerned that this will eventually lead to too much brightness, I'll be happy to sell you the Arduino device I built to fix my old Panny plasma's picture.

I mean, it was to revert the rising black levels to their factory state, but I'm sure all you'll need to do is reverse the polarity! ;)

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I much prefer the Apple TV UI, control, and interface than any of the generally shitty smart TV ones I've tried, in terms of speed, general look, and ease of use. But mileage may vary.

Can't wait to try it out!

Maybe the ATV4K is doing some processing, or my receiver (though it should jsut pass through), but Hulu in particular looks better on the ATV 4K than the native TV LG app. Less noise and artifacts. The difference is very slight though. I had taken personal comparison pics a while back. Other apps I can't confirm, but many ATV apps don't do 4K or HDR so I still use the TV app (like Vudu).

Nice, thanks!

Last edited:

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Don't really see a point in buying a 7 series OLED now unless you absolutely need a TV. It's already April, wait 3 months and the C8 will have dropped in price by about 30%. Furthermore, the B8 be available by then and have a (likely) better panel and higher peak brightness than last year's B7/C7. If you can wait to buy, I think you should at this point.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Don't really see a point in buying a 7 series OLED now unless you absolutely need a TV. It's already April, wait 3 months and the C8 will have dropped in price by about 30%. Furthermore, the B8 be available by then and have a (likely) better panel and higher peak brightness than last year's B7/C7. If you can wait to buy, I think you should at this point.
No, I don't think you understand

If I have to watch my old tv another week I might die, Chamber

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
Why are people praising Q9F so much when it doesn't have Dolby Vision. Do they just not care or is it not as important as I thought it is. Isn't Netflix HDR content in Dolby Vision only? How else are you watching HDR stuff? Theres not that many Bluray releases yet and most of them suck in terms of 4K HDR
Still a excellent set.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
I know I know, it's just funny how impatient people can be. Not saying I haven't been there myself too.

Just important to zoom out sometimes. Gotta remember the important things in life.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
For any LG owners concerned that this will eventually lead to too much brightness, I'll be happy to sell you the Arduino device I built to fix my old Panny plasma's picture.

I mean, it was to revert the rising black levels to their factory state, but I'm sure all you'll need to do is reverse the polarity! ;)

How much so I can use it on my Panasonic? Lol

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
...sadly, I honestly don't know where it is anymore. I'm also pretty sure that I bent one of the pins while using it.

But this site has how to make one! It was was super-easy, even for someone who had never used that platform before. Totally worked on my G10.

I had purchased the arduino board a while back but lost it when I evacuated my apartment from a bed bug incident (luckily I'm 2 years free). I just want it to be easy and not have to assemble lol

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

The new tv's aren't going to be ANYWHERE near the price of the 2017 models as they are being phased out for the new ones except for maybe a Black Friday deal, and even then that's hoping for a lot.

Daxter01

Nov 3, 2017
Ok guys after messing around with hdr gamemode settings on a lg led and upping in game brightness I actually prefer it to hdr standard. Its more natural

Last edited:

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
The new tv's aren't going to be ANYWHERE near the price of the 2017 models as they are being phased out for the new ones except for maybe a Black Friday deal, and even then that's hoping for a lot.

I know how the price cycle works. Question being asked is whether to buy last year's model or wait, I think the best idea is to wait at this point unless you don't have a choice. The 8 series offers a pretty good performance increase from the 7, more so than the 7 was vs. the 6. The C8 is $3,800 now, if it drops in price at the same rate as the C7, it'll be $2,700 in 3 months and $2,200 for Black Friday and the B8 should be even cheaper.

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
.... I just realized the new TCL sets won't be out until May and I NEED a 4k TV right now for God of War! What should I do???

Would it be wrong of me to buy a set from Best Buy, use it until the TCL's come out and than return it? Would I even have enough time with their return policy? Do they even have one for TV's Am I evil? :/

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
.... I just realized the new TCL sets won't be out until May and I NEED a 4k TV right now for God of War! What should I do???

Would it be wrong of me to buy a set from Best Buy, use it until the TCL's come out and than return it? Would I even have enough time with their return policy? Do they even have one for TV's Am I evil? :/

Best Buy moved to a 15 day return policy a few years back unless you hit their minimum yearly purchase amounts for 30 day and IIRC 45 day return limits. It's utter shit. So you're limited to 15 days. Too risky IMO.

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Best Buy moved to a 15 day return policy a few years back unless you hit their minimum yearly purchase amounts for 30 day and IIRC 45 day return limits. It's utter shit. So you're limited to 15 days. Too risky IMO.
So I'd have 2 weeks to finish GoW..... Man, I think I could swing that.... Just gotta decide if it's worth the hassle.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
I just ordered one of these, the impatient wait for it to arrive is gonna kill me!

I've just been reading xb1x doesn't support dolby vision however... What crap!
Just bought a 930E from Sony.

Any tips or tricks from current owners, or stuff I need to know?
Disable Samba, upgrade to the Dolby Vision firmware, use cinema pro on everything, enable Motionflow: Clear for SDR video sources (and compensate by setting brightness at max), use a wired connection if possible, change the colour setting from neutral to expert1 for Dolby Vision, use smooth gradation at low for basically everything except Dolby Vision. That's mostly it, I think :)

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Disable Samba, upgrade to the Dolby Vision firmware, use cinema pro on everything, enable Motionflow: Clear for SDR video sources (and compensate by setting brightness at max), use a wired connection if possible, change the colour setting from neutral to expert1 for Dolby Vision, use smooth gradation at low for basically everything except Dolby Vision. That's mostly it, I think :)
Thanks, I'll screenshot and refer to it later. Very excited!

Any other tips/tricks are welcome

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017

Turbo, I would honestly just wait a few weeks. Do what you need to do, but that seems like a hassle when you could just wait for like 15 days.

RedlineRonin :) :) :)

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, I'll screenshot and refer to it later. Very excited!

Any other tips/tricks are welcome
You're welcome. Check out hdtvtest's written review and rtings review/settings page for more insight on the set. It's relatively hasslefree though. You can't really go wrong.

I'll advise you not to use other people's/website's colour calibration though. Every panel is different, and youre better off just setting it to cinema pro and leaving it at that.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Elite Plus (45 day returns) isn't hard to get because purchases outside of Best Buy on their credit card count towards the minimum yearly purchase ($3500). I just pay some monthly bills on it and all restaurant purchases.

Nov 18, 2017
Looking to upgrade over the next couple of months - any recommendations on the best 55" 4K HDR set one can buy for under £1,000 ($1,500)?

Last edited:

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Was walking around looking at TVs (and their prices) earlier due to reading the 4k thread on the font page.

I only own a 3 year old cheap but decent enough sony 1080p tv and I have a Pro and a fairly decent PC that is not really 4k ready.

I was looking at the 4k tvs but due to how these tvs are on the showfloor, I know the settings are messed up and the content being shown is not going to be on par of actually playing a real time game (I did not see any tv running a game). I can't also judge if what I am viewing is HDR content (Some of the 4k tvs were obviously showing non 4k content which is a bit obvious to me) Would really like to see if the difference is worth a purchase.

Reading about the TVs that I browsed through. I noticed that there is upscaling for non native 4k content (1080p). Let's say that the size is irrelevant or equal. My question is if a 4k display would output the 1080p content better than my 1080p tv?

Is my 1080p tv showing a comparable or equal image than 4k for downscaled visuals (higher resolution modes on the Pro)?

Also saw the 8k tv from Sharp. The content they were showing was blurry as hell when looking at a close distance which was disappointing. The size of the tv felt like I'll get easily sucked into it and have a amnesiac bear bite me on the other side. And I am not a small man.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Was walking around looking at TVs (and their prices) earlier due to reading the 4k thread on the font page.

I only own a 3 year old cheap but decent enough sony 1080p tv and I have a Pro and a fairly decent PC that is not really 4k ready.

I was looking at the 4k tvs but due to how these tvs are on the showfloor, I know the settings are messed up and the content being shown is not going to be on par of actually playing a real time game (I did not see any tv running a game). I can't also judge if what I am viewing is HDR content (Some of the 4k tvs were obviously showing non 4k content which is a bit obvious to me) Would really like to see if the difference is worth a purchase.

Reading about the TVs that I browsed through. I noticed that there is upscaling for non native 4k content (1080p). Let's say that the size is irrelevant or equal. My question is if a 4k display would output the 1080p content better than my 1080p tv?

Is my 1080p tv showing a comparable or equal image than 4k for downscaled visuals (higher resolution modes on the Pro)?

Also saw the 8k tv from Sharp. The content they were showing was blurry as hell when looking at a close distance which was disappointing. The size of the tv felt like I'll get easily sucked into it and have a amnesiac bear bite me on the other side. And I am not a small man.
It depends on how good the TVs upscaler is. The mid-high range of TVs should all have decent upscalers. On my KS8000 and OLED 1080p looks great, and just the general panel enhancements of a modern display alone will make your games look better.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I got my C8 set up at last. was waiting for a new shiny stand to turn up but the delivery was delayed to Monday. So first. I only have my PC to plug in right now (I recently moved and things are messy) and yes, it is a little dimmer. However it's not horrendous and I haven't knocked the OLED light up to 100 to compensate. in fact it's at 65 right now. Better to get used to a slightly less glaring display. Played some Destiny 2 in HDR. The difference between this C8 and my KS7500 was immediate. Better blacks, better colour, better definition, better motion. Yes I know about burn in and yes it is a pain. This means that yes, I need to pay attention to what I'm doing which is kinda' not what you want to do when you're having fun. But it just means I have to be a bit more circumspect. In the end it's a fabulous display and very, very impressive.

Now as for Apple tv, do films I've redeemed from UHD discs like Logan which I can download on my iPhone show up on Apple TV?
0 burn in on my B6 and Im not having any special precaution (I even disabled the auto dimming with a service remote), 0 problems.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017

Only TV I've seen running game footage was the Sony 930e. Was just a separate part of the overall demo reel of course, remember seeing U4, Horizon and Days Gone.

But yeah idk what settings they use.

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL

When I was on the prowl for an oled the store allowed me to come back later on a tuesday morning and bring my ps4 pro to test sets. I just explained my predicament, explained my intentions thoroughly and asked for permission kindly.

Apr 14, 2018
This is my first post on the site (yay). Are there any fellow sony a1e users? There seems to be a problem where the last update has caused a dimming issue where the tv gradually dims after a minute or two. This isnt eco mode or ABL, it seems to be a bug, hopefully not a feature they implemented but it is awful and has ruined the tv for me and a bunch of people on AVS as well. Any recomendations on what I should do? I even tried to reset to an older firmware by resetting the tv and it didn't work :( im sad buds

Status
Not open for further replies.