Status
Not open for further replies.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Okay this is a bit offtopic but for some it might still be interesting.

In early June, Philips added a gaming mode for its Hue lamps. Now you can build a kind of Ambi Light with the Hue lamps. That effect really blew my mind. It reminds a bit of Microsoft's IllumiRoom.

For the installation you need Philips Hue lamps, and a Pc or Mac with the Hue software. The software tracks the colors of your monitor and displays them with the lamps. With a little trick you can not only play PC games on your monitor or TV with Ambilight, but also with the Xbox and Ps4 thanks to remote. You simply stream from the console to your computer and it sends the signal to the lamps at your TV.

I made a little video of my Ps4 interface last night. I'm gonna do another one tonight playing.

https://youtu.be/n1Yys9Zs2KY

I think it's really good and it strengthens the immersion.

At my parents I set them up with a Kodi because we had like 600 Blu Rays and I got tired of digging through them.

Since it was on PC I made an ambient lighting setup for it that's pretty similar. It was hella cool but prone to updates breaking it so it only got used for a couple years.

https://youtu.be/LWfGlxsE-J4 (6:35 for the demo)

Eventually I may rip my 4K Blu Rays and make another Kodi box and do the same but for now I'll just have to be content with a Blu Ray player until I'm more moved in.

Hell I'm getting my TV and 5.1 setup before my bed gets moved in lol.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC 1440p HDR never worked for me until the April Windows update. Now, it works but Windows keeps rendering at 3840x2160 and gives me a smaller box instead of a scaled, fullscreen 1440p display when in HDR. I believe this only affected exclusive, fullscreen games.

Same issue for me on my C7. Ultimately, I just gave up with HDR on PC.

Byron Hinson

Nov 14, 2017
UK
Have you tried a side by side comparison of the same film? I didn't think they looked that different to be honest. Sound is where the big improvement is on disc.
Easy one was Lego Movie - lights and cars etc were brighter with identical settings on the UHD Disk compared to streaming. Close encounters was miles better on UHD too - pretty poor 4k version on iTunes right now

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
For me games edge it, as you can pretty much count on true blacks, whereas so many films deliver a shitty grey instead of black, and that just ruins the experience.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
It all works fine. You just can't have all kinds of customized settings for bit depth and chroma in NVCP. Need to leave all that shit at NV defaults
The only reason I do not like leaving defaults to nvidia is it always forces my GPU to display in limited black level when connected to my TV, but custom resolutions will force it to display in full black level. Other than that, I don't think having default or customized settings made a difference with the Windows 10 April update and screen scaling with HDR and fullscreen games. The update in fact makes it easier to get HDR to work since you could even do RGB now and it will still work (forces RGB dithered in this case). It's just the scaling problem that was a major issue for me, but I haven't used HDR on my PC for a while so maybe Windows fixed this by now?

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
The only reason I do not like leaving defaults to nvidia is it always forces my GPU to display in limited black level when connected to my TV, but custom resolutions will force it to display in full black level. Other than that, I don't think having default or customized settings made a difference with the Windows 10 April update and screen scaling with HDR and fullscreen games. The update in fact makes it easier to get HDR to work since you could even do RGB now and it will still work (forces RGB dithered in this case). It's just the scaling problem that was a major issue for me, but I haven't used HDR on my PC for a while so maybe Windows fixed this by now?
Okay, so, I actually figured this out literally this past weekend.

When you select the bubble to customize stuff, you can change whether you want limited or full, and then when you select the bubble back to "leave as NV defaults" or w/e it says, I've actually found that it still adheres to w/e you selected for the color space, either limited or full. Maybe try and select full, and then flip it back to "leave as NV defaults" and mess around with some games and see if that helps?

And yes, HDR has gotten way better in windows over the last 12 months for sure.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I ordered the Q6 65" fam. Went in store and compared the Q6/7 and while I do think the Q7 looks slightly better overall and I like the central wire box I realized that's not enough to justify the cost difference for me.

But man it looks good. I'm excite.

Hit me with those calibration guides / setup tips.
Congrats bro!! I finally did the same today too! PLEASE share with us how your panel is after kicking the tires a little. I find out tomorrow how I did the in the panel lottery. I ended up going with the 55" Q8FN. Unfortunately Q8s/Q9s seem to have more QA problems then Q6/Q7 so I'm hoping for the best.

Quick setup guide.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q6fn-q6f-q6-2018/settings

Went back and fourth between Q7,Q8 but what put me over the edge was the Full Array Local Dimming over the edge lit and the backlighting differences. Q8 backlight runs at a 480hz refresh rate, the Q7,Q6 run at 240hz, (Q9 higher then Q8.) All the 2018 Q Panels have a 120hz RR, just the backlight hz difference. EVERY Q also has the VRR and silly low input lag, really looking forward to playing some games again!

Haven't really wanted to play on my old 1080p set after using the LG C8 for a month lol. Decided to replace broken C8 with a QLED. Been waiting to start ROTTR on XB1X in 4K HDR and my friend let me borrow his God of War, heard it's REALLY nice in 4K HDR! (checker boarding or whatever it actually is.)

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Movies easily. HDR in games still comes off like developers are in the early learning stages.

After watching the Horizon Zero Dawn tech interview it appears that things like disc space, bandwidth and current 4K TV adoption all played a part in what they could and couldn't do with their HDR implementation. This stuff should improve and get better when we enter next-gen.

You can watch the video here if you haven't already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsxnNgRRTKI

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After watching the Horizon Zero Dawn tech interview it appears that things like disc space, bandwidth and current 4K TV adoption all played a part in what they could and couldn't do with their HDR implementation. This stuff should improve and get better when we enter next-gen.

You can watch the video here if you haven't already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsxnNgRRTKI

Just tried out HZD on my new TV and it seems like one of the better HDR games out of the ones I've tried so far.

If this is HDR with limitations, then I can't wait for what next gen brings.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
My experience has been the other way around, what games do you reccomend? I feel like games never utilize true blacks of oled.

Some of the very best I'd say are:

Hellblade
GT Sport
Homefront The Revolution
Infamous First Light
Injustice 2
Mass Effect Andromeda
Shadow of the Colossus
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Gears 4
Horizon ZD
God of War
Ratchet and Clank

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC 1440p HDR never worked for me until the April Windows update. Now, it works but Windows keeps rendering at 3840x2160 and gives me a smaller box instead of a scaled, fullscreen 1440p display when in HDR. I believe this only affected exclusive, fullscreen games.
I have the same issue.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
Any E6 owners who were sticking on 04.31.00 firmware or prior before upgrading to the new firmware? I'm too scared to do it, I love HDR Game Mode in the way it was before LG messed is up making it too dim, I don't trust they actually fixed it to be the exact same way it was before. Anyone who has gone from the old version of HDR Game Mode to this third version?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I have the same issue.
I'm actually surprised that there isn't a lot of other people asking about this. I tried googling the exact issue and barely found anyone else talking about it. Either people just don't bother to ask online or they know how to get around it (run in windowed mode or run in native resolution)

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Okay this is a bit offtopic but for some it might still be interesting.

In early June, Philips added a gaming mode for its Hue lamps. Now you can build a kind of Ambi Light with the Hue lamps. That effect really blew my mind. It reminds a bit of Microsoft's IllumiRoom.

For the installation you need Philips Hue lamps, and a Pc or Mac with the Hue software. The software tracks the colors of your monitor and displays them with the lamps. With a little trick you can not only play PC games on your monitor or TV with Ambilight, but also with the Xbox and Ps4 thanks to remote. You simply stream from the console to your computer and it sends the signal to the lamps at your TV.

I made a little video of my Ps4 interface last night. I'm gonna do another one tonight playing.

https://youtu.be/n1Yys9Zs2KY

I think it's really good and it strengthens the immersion.
That's pretty cool. How's the latency of the lights? Also how well does the effect work with movies?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Finally decided to start playing my day one copy of Horizon: Zero Dawn. What do you guys with a B7 set the brightness slider to in HDR?

Also, what's up with the level of detail and anisotropic filtering in this game? The ground 5 feet in front of me is soup and it aggressively loads in higher quality textures as I move, it is super distracting. This normal? A google search suggests a patch from late last year did it? Sorry if this is off topic, I was asking about the HDR brightness slider so figured I'd just ask about this too.

OP
OP
Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
You have a C7, right? What are your TV and RE7 settings?

Yeah will do when i get the chance. Have to move the PS4 since I've moved over the to the C8.

Finally decided to start playing my day one copy of Horizon: Zero Dawn. What do you guys with a B7 set the brightness slider to in HDR?

Also, what's up with the level of detail and anisotropic filtering in this game? The ground 5 feet in front of me is soup and it aggressively loads in higher quality textures as I move, it is super distracting. This normal? A google search suggests a patch from late last year did it? Sorry if this is off topic, I was asking about the HDR brightness slider so figured I'd just ask about this too.

I used 70 in-game brightness for my play through. And the filtering is kind of distracting. It is noticeably improved in the DLC area i found.

Tadie

Nov 6, 2017
That's pretty cool. How's the latency of the lights? Also how well does the effect work with movies?

The lamps react very quickly to the screen colours. Unfortunately, the Netflix and Amazon Prime Apps do not work with remote Ps4 and Xbox one. But I used Zattoo and Twitch. And it worked very well.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit did the bottom left and right hand corner stickers on my new B7 make a fucking mess coming off, so much sticky residue. The others came off fine but those two were terrible. Slowly trying my best to remove it. Anyone else have this?

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
I finally have a real salary and are in the market for an OLED TV, I thought I'd get the threads opinion on this, as you're probably all much more knowledgable about this. If I'm wanting this to last 8-10 years (which is how long my last TV lasted me). Should I a) get one of this years range? Or b) wait till next year for HDMI 2.1 compatible sets?

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
I finally have a real salary and are in the market for an OLED TV, I thought I'd get the threads opinion on this, as you're probably all much more knowledgable about this. If I'm wanting this to last 8-10 years (which is how long my last TV lasted me). Should I a) get one of this years range? Or b) wait till next year for HDMI 2.1 compatible sets?
Wait

Also, congrats on the real salary!

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

To be honest I think the smarter move would be to buy a 2017 model now or wait until Black Friday and buy a 2018. It will cost you a fraction of what a 2019 sets will cost when they release. The 2019's are not guaranteed to have HDMI 2.1 either. A lot of people were saying "wait for 2018" about HDMI 2.1 last year.

Buying the previous year's model every 4-5 years is going to give you better technology on average than buying the current year's model every 8-10 years will. And I guarantee you there will be some technology that makes the 2019 TV look dated in 4-5 years, be it MicroLED, 8K, peak brightness, AI features, or whatever. And if you are buying every 4-5 years, the previous TV is probably still good enough to be used in another room in your house or given away / sold.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Question: would an IPS panel have both better vertical viewing angles as well as horizontal or just horizontal?

Oh no JB...what are you thinking now?

To be honest I think the smarter move would be to buy a 2017 model now or wait until Black Friday and buy a 2018. It will cost you a fraction of what a 2019 sets will cost when they release. The 2019's are not guaranteed to have HDMI 2.1 either. A lot of people were saying "wait for 2018" about HDMI 2.1 last year.

Buying the previous year's model every 4-5 years is going to give you better technology on average than buying the current year's model every 8-10 years will. And I guarantee you there will be some technology that makes the 2019 TV look dated in 4-5 years, be it MicroLED, 8K, peak brightness, AI features, or whatever. And if you are buying every 4-5 years, the previous TV is probably still good enough to be used in another room in your house or given away / sold.

I'm planning on buying a C8 during black Friday knowing that I will be moving the C8 to a different room and buying a new (larger) set in 3-4 years. It's a solid strategy but I NEED a new set now anyway

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Getting ready to buy a TV and not sure what to get. I think it's a toss up between the Samsung Q7F and the LG C7. The LGC7 is definitely swaying me as it has a true OLED screen but the warnings I keep hearing about risk of image burn in/retention are pretty worrying. While the Q7F hasn't got an OLED screen, it seems like a good alternative especially due to the price (£1000 vs the £1300 C7).

Bearing in mind £1300 is the most I'm willing to stretch to for a TV, what do?

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Getting ready to buy a TV and not sure what to get. I think it's a toss up between the Samsung Q7F and the LG C7. The LGC7 is definitely swaying me as it has a true OLED screen but the warnings I keep hearing about risk of image burn in/retention are pretty worrying. While the Q7F hasn't got an OLED screen, it seems like a good alternative especially due to the price (£1000 vs the £1300 C7).

You're talking two different grades of TV.

Get the OLED.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017

I believe the Q8 and the C7 would be a closer comparison.

For me, I've been burned by Samsung in the past (and their quality control still seems suspect from posts in this very thread). I'd get the OLED

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
You're talking two different grades of TV.

Get the OLED.

I believe the Q8 and the C7 would be a closer comparison.

For me, I've been burned by Samsung in the past (and their quality control still seems suspect from posts in this very thread). I'd get the OLED

I have always said that if I get a 4K TV, I'd want to get an OLED set. Sounds like QLED doesn't even compare then? If so, I think I will go with the C7. Still have that fear of burn in though.

Status
Not open for further replies.