• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I have always said that if I get a 4K TV, I'd want to get an OLED set. Sounds like QLED doesn't even compare then? If so, I think I will go with the C7. Still have that fear of burn in though.

Don't abuse the set and you should be fine. If you plan on watching a ton of news or playing one game with a static HUD for thousands of hours, I'd avoid it. Normal viewing conditions and you should be good

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Question: would an IPS panel have both better vertical viewing angles as well as horizontal or just horizontal?
If you care about image quality at all you don't want IPS. Blacks are gray, and HDR is dogshit on IPS. There's just not enough contrast. The first HDR TV I bought was a Sony IPS and I returned it within a week. Great for viewing angles, crap for everything else.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
IPS TVs are perfect for doctors offices, businesses, bars, etc where extreme viewing angles occur. I wouldn't put one in my living room

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
f7e3cdcea8ed2572520e1138dd67abcf--history-of-photography-pinhole-camera.jpg

JB1981 's next set...

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Don't abuse the set and you should be fine. If you plan on watching a ton of news or playing one game with a static HUD for thousands of hours, I'd avoid it. Normal viewing conditions and you should be good

Will be using it a lot for games, but I rarely have the same elements on my TV for hours upon hours at a time. It's also off for most of the day during the week due to work.

Out of interest, if my budget was a grand, what would be the next best TV to recommend? OLED or otherwise because I know the C7 is the cheapest OLED 4k set on the market currently.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Will be using it a lot for games, but I rarely have the same elements on my TV for hours upon hours at a time. It's also off for most of the day during the week due to work.

Out of interest, if my budget was a grand, what would be the next best TV to recommend? OLED or otherwise because I know the C7 is the cheapest OLED 4k set on the market currently.

Sony 900E now or 900F in a few months. Great sets. Two of my friends own them (one each) and I've spent quite a bit of time with them.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I have always said that if I get a 4K TV, I'd want to get an OLED set. Sounds like QLED doesn't even compare then? If so, I think I will go with the C7. Still have that fear of burn in though.

They are the polar opposite of each other, when it comes to quality, the Q9FN is the only Samsung that could be comparable, and even then the C7 is better (barring burn in concerns).

Don't worry and take the plunge.

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Sony 900E now or 900F in a few months. Great sets. Two of my friends own them (one each) and I've spent quite a bit of time with them.

They are the polar opposite of each other, when it comes to quality, the Q9FN is the only Samsung that could be comparable, and even then the C7 is better (barring burn in concerns).

Sounds like the C7 is the best way to go. Thanks for the help. Just hoping they'll still be available to buy in a few weeks time.

The QLED blows!!! Had a C8 for a month, it died. Replaced it for a QLED bc I was scared about burn in........picture quality in games isn't even close! I picked up 55" Q8FN, used it for 2 hours and was already done. Once it's in game mode and everything is off the QLED doesn't look even close to what the OLED looked like.

Thankfully there's plenty of DSE effect on the QLED so it's considered defective. Just picked it up yesterday, it's going back to the store ASAP and going with another C8. Sorry for doubting you OLED, please forgive me!

Will avoid/10.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Getting ready to buy a TV and not sure what to get. I think it's a toss up between the Samsung Q7F and the LG C7. The LGC7 is definitely swaying me as it has a true OLED screen but the warnings I keep hearing about risk of image burn in/retention are pretty worrying. While the Q7F hasn't got an OLED screen, it seems like a good alternative especially due to the price (£1000 vs the £1300 C7).

Bearing in mind £1300 is the most I'm willing to stretch to for a TV, what do?
The QLED blows!!! Had a C8 for a month, it died. Replaced it for a QLED bc I was scared about burn in........picture quality in games isn't even close! I picked up 55" Q8FN, used it for 2 hours and was already done. Once it's in game mode and everything is off the QLED doesn't look even close to what the OLED looked like.

Thankfully there's plenty of DSE effect on the QLED so it's considered defective. Just picked it up yesterday, it's going back to the store ASAP and going with another C8. Sorry for doubting you OLED, please forgive me!

Oct 27, 2017
USA

This must be very true bc the Q8 isn't even close! Honestly can't belive a TV could cost $2k and be so far off a TV that's only $200 more (55" C8.) Played EXACT same games and sections in the games for comparison from the C8 to Q8. At least B.B. warretny covers burn in where as Costco's Square trade warranty did NOT.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Sounds like the C7 is the best way to go. Thanks for the help. Just hoping they'll still be available to buy in a few weeks time.

Will avoid/10.
All the research says otherwise but real world use, ( at least for video games in Game mode,) OLED! I feel like my 2013 1080p Sony has a better PQ then the Q8 minus the 4K lol. Blacks are terrible on Q8 for games.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
This must be very true bc the Q8 isn't even close! Honestly can't belive a TV could cost $2k and be so far off a TV that's only $200 more (55" C8.) Played EXACT same games and sections in the games for comparison from the C8 to Q8. At least B.B. warretny covers burn in where as Costco's Square trade warranty did NOT.

Yeah, that comparison gets even worse, when you factor in the bargain basement prices that the 7 series go for, I mean they are still the pinnacle of best tv's, being that it's really been just a treading water exercise 2017 to 2018.

Apr 21, 2018
i have give up to HDR in my B7 for Games, its such a hit and miss, i never like the picture too much and l just prefer how correct and great games looks in normal SDR mode.

all say, for movies its great.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Read a lot of recommendations to set Trumotion to User 0,0 vs off. Does anyone know the specifics behind 0,0 Trumotion on LG OLEDs? Thank you

Oct 28, 2017

Damn that bad huh ? You should give the Sony 930e a shot

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yeah, that comparison gets even worse, when you factor in the bargain basement prices that the 7 series go for, I mean they are still the pinnacle of best tv's, being that it's really been just a treading water exercise 2017 to 2018.
I just don't get it lol!! Side by side the Q honestly didn't look THAT far off from the OLED, (instore.) They must be playing a lot of tricks with dynamic contrast, vivid mode, store display mode or whatever else. Even Microsoft pimping QLED left and right with the Ooooooo look, VRR, best TVs for gaming ect.

......I've never been rude to ANYBODY on here, ever lol, but I feel bad about even debating OLED vs QLED. I'm sorry everyone, you guys were all correct!! I was wrong and I welcome our new OLED overlords. Now I just need to figure out what time my wife gets home with our Tahoe, (not gonna fit in my Mustang lol,) get the Q8 the F outta the house and welcome another LG C8 back in.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Damn that bad huh ? You should give the Sony 930e a shot
After having a real world comparison playing the same games on both, going with OLED C8 for sure. Paying a premium for the B.B. extended warranty bc they cover burn in, but will put my mind at ease at least. The "potential" for burn in was my only knock against the C8, besides the fact that it died in a month.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, looks like the C7 isn't available anywhere. The B7 looks like it's in plentiful supply still (UK). How different are the two sets? They seem virtually the same with the only differences really being the stands.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Asked another way, does the C8's YouTube app support HDR?

Huh, looks like the C7 isn't available anywhere. The B7 looks like it's in plentiful supply still (UK). How different are the two sets? They seem virtually the same with the only differences really being the stands.

Stands and on-board audio I believe. Same panel.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
If you care about image quality at all you don't want IPS. Blacks are gray, and HDR is dogshit on IPS. There's just not enough contrast. The first HDR TV I bought was a Sony IPS and I returned it within a week. Great for viewing angles, crap for everything else.

All true. But if you really need viewing angles, and LCD, IPS is the only option. For example my bright, and wide seating arrangement living room. It was either an OLED, or IPS panel, and I would never put an OLED in the living room since it would get destroyed due to my wife and kid primarily using the tv. 75" Sony 850D, aka the beater, it's on all day long.

Again, no tv is perfect, pick what's best suited to your needs. Still petitioning for that to be the new thread title.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't get it lol!! Side by side the Q honestly didn't look THAT far off from the OLED, (instore.) They must be playing a lot of tricks with dynamic contrast, vivid mode, store display mode or whatever else. Even Microsoft pimping QLED left and right with the Ooooooo look, VRR, best TVs for gaming ect.

......I've never been rude to ANYBODY on here, ever lol, but I feel bad about even debating OLED vs QLED. I'm sorry everyone, you guys were all correct!! I was wrong and I welcome our new OLED overlords. Now I just need to figure out what time my wife gets home with our Tahoe, (not gonna fit in my Mustang lol,) get the Q8 the F outta the house and welcome another LG C8 back in.

Going by in-store is literally the worst thing anyone can do, those blazing lights hide a multitude of sins, but Joe public doesn't care, and will go by what looks bright and impactful, and these kinds of people don't give a shit about blacks anyway, but for people that care, they should choose mostly based on doing their homework and finding the real truth about each set.

When those lights go down, the truth will reveal :)

B7 PQ and settings are identical, just besel colour and stand that's different.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I have my TCL R617, first it looks great but I am still tuning it and getting used to everything. HDR however can look really off depending on the game. I found Horizon Zero Dawn looks great during the day but then at night the game became so dark. Destiny 2 HDR looks like it makes it darker.

I believe HDR makes colors pop more and the darks darker, correct? Anyway, I'm still figuring this whole 4K/HDR lifestyle out. I've spent 11 years in 1080p.

Outside of Rtings, are there any calibration tips?

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
Hey gang, looking for a new TV. Looking for a 55 inch TV for gaming and movies.

Budget is around 750, but can stretch a little if necessary.

Last edited:

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Hey gang, looking for a new TV. Obviously want 4k good hdr (I'm guessing that's HDR 10 +?) and oled if possible

UK and budget at around 750. Any recommendations?

For your budget, a refurb could be a great idea, as you'll get something better than you otherwise would brand new.

These are great.

https://centresdirect.co.uk/p-21834-sony-kd-55xe8577-kd55xe8577sua.aspx

Or this:

https://centresdirect.co.uk/p-21861-sony-kd-49xe9005-kd49xe9005bua.aspx

Oct 28, 2017

The thing is if you are watching in bright daylight or somewhere bright like a showroom then I always think wtf are you doing buying a super expensive TV! Even a budget option is going to look good in those conditions because your eye is already dilated so much it can't discern the contrast differences very effectively.

I can't even see the HDR effect in the store so for me I don't see what the fuss is all about as it looks pretty much identical. Until I get it in my own home I won't really know what impact it has.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
How big are you wanting? Thats a super low budget, you wont be touching a new oled with it. Is there any way to increase it?
55 inch. I can drop oled really if he's going to inflate the price, otherwise I can save up money but will must delay purchase by a a month or two.

Unless you think oled is worth holding out for?

Tanston

Nov 29, 2017
Hello all, in the market for a TV. Primary use will be gaming and movies. I'm looking for 65" HDR and would love to keep it under 1k. Was looking at some of the TCL tvs because it sounds like they are really good value right now. Really not sure about the r617 vs the s517 vs the s405 big price range difference not sure how big the quality gap will be. Also there were apparently some HDR issues recently according to this thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/tcl-p607-605-thread-goat-budget-4k-hdr-tv.706/page-34 not sure if those got ironed out.

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
I'm looking to upgrade to an HDR set before the year is up.

I'm looking for sizes from 40-50 inch. Budget is $1000. It will be a bedroom TV, that I'll use for gaming and watching media from (cable and steaming). The way the room is set up I have no choice but to have the TV across and facing the window so I'm trying to avoid reflective screens. Can anyone give suggestions to what TV I should consider with these conditions?

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Somehow I just cannot pull the trigger on dropping 1k on the 65" TCL over here in poorland, even though it's truly my dream TV.

Although dunno if it was discussed here, but the TCL's were 10% off yesterday, making the 65" $872 on Best Buy. However I still couldn't pull the trigger.

Sometimes I think about getting the 55" TCL instead. Thing is I already have a 55" 4k pseudo HDR set (max ~330 nits brightness, but does have wide color gamut). I wonder can anybody tell me, would I really notice a difference, especially to justify $600? I fear I would not.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Going by in-store is literally the worst thing anyone can do, those blazing lights hide a multitude of sins, but Joe public doesn't care, and will go by what looks bright and impactful, and these kinds of people don't give a shit about blacks anyway, but for people that care, they should choose mostly based on doing their homework and finding the real truth about each set.

When those lights go down, the truth will reveal :)

I've done a TON of research. What you DON'T hear about is how when you go into game mode on Q8, the black levels are worse and there's blooming everywhere! Doesn't matter what setting for backlight. Seems very counterproductive considering they're selling it as "one of the best gaming TVs." My 2013 Sony LED performs better then the Q8 in gaming mode. I've never owned a Samsung TV before, I've heard great things about KS8000-9000 but GD the Q8 sucks lol.

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
Finally made the 4K jump and picked up a 55" Sony X900F. I felt it was a good buy at the current sale price when matched with picture quality and Sony's motion handling ( I watch a lot of hockey). Just got it set up and have been going through a few games. Destiny 2 in 4K HDR is like a brand new game and Forza Horizon is absurd. Outside of the picture quality, what I'm really noticing is how much better the input lag is on this set compared to my 6 year old Sony HX800. Absolutely loving this, wasn't really sold on the difference until seeing it for myself in my living room - it's a complete game changer.

I also have AC Origins, so besides the games I mentioned what are the real One X show pieces right now for 4K HDR content?

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
I've done a TON of research. What you DON'T hear about is how when you go into game mode on Q8, the black levels are worse and there's blooming everywhere! Doesn't matter what setting for backlight. Seems very counterproductive considering they're selling it as "one of the best gaming TVs." My 2013 Sony LED performs better then the Q8 in gaming mode. I've never owned a Samsung TV before, I've heard great things about KS8000-9000 but GD the Q8 sucks lol.

Curious if the Q9 is any better, I always go by the rule you either buy Samsung's flagship, or you dont buy Samsung. They've never been good in the mid/low tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.