• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't use that particular mount but I'm using a Z line tv stand/mount with my 65" B6 even though the directions said for tvs up to 55". It is way under the weight limit though and much lighter than my old Samsung Plasma. Been working fine for months now.

Thanks for sharing, I think I'll go ahead and use the current one, it's still 11kg under the limit so I think I'll risk it.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Dell Ebates update: it's up to 15% back now. They are already matching the BF deals that are out there, on all of the sets that we're talking about here.

That means a 65B7A for under $2k (or a 55X900E for $850). Got me to jump on a 65X930E - if my card's price protection works how it's supposed to, I'll shave another $200 off.

Last edited:

GUNGRAVE_NYC

Nov 4, 2017
xr2dqxmr.jpg

im pretty sure lg has a Prototype oled with 700+ NITS sustained 100% window, strapped with heavy heatsink and watercooling + 800 watt power supply,
controlling each pixel brightness with max brightness on oled puts power consumption though the roof, brightness and resolution killed king plasma.

Shadow_FFVI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Guys, I need some help.
What is the best deal available online with a budget betweem $600 and $700?

My dad wants me to find him a good tv, lol.

Abu05

Oct 27, 2017
Go in your video settings on your X to make sure everything is working properly. Everything should have a green check next to it.

Settings/ Display and Sound/ Video Output/ Advanced Video Settings/ 4K TV details.
Everything is checked. Noticed it's only during Star Wars battlefront 2 that I am having this issue

SirVilhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know how to remove the preinstalled apps on the Sony x900e? For example there is a direct TV ready app I don't want to see anymore.

I like Android TV so far but it does have its nuances

Oct 27, 2017
Vienna
xr2dqxmr.jpg

I'm pretty sure lg has a Prototype OLED with 700+ NITS sustained 100% window, strapped with heavy heatsink and water cooling + 800-watt power supply,
controlling each pixel brightness with max brightness on OLED puts power consumption through the roof, brightness, and resolution killed king plasma.
Ehh LG knows how to make brighter screens, but sony seems to have the exclusive on it. A1 is 1000 nitts.

I like the image on the C7 is preferable to me anyway. That photo is deceiving because in a dark room setting a camera has to take light in from the Sony 930e because its brighter by nature of being LCD and it makes the c7 look worse than it does in person.

OLEDs are awesome because they almost perfectly replicate cinema which has been 2k/4k for many years with 10bit files.(I worked in a Cinema), oleds replicate cinema lumens perfectly for SDR. Most film content in the world in that format. Only dolby vision is mastered at 2.500nitts like top of the line projects.

The high nitts of the sony is a defect in some artistic intent. LG now has a new firmware that compensates for that on the fly, now being able to show details better that are above the nitts of the tv. Not the exact same thing. But everything an artist wanted you to see is there. On HDR 4k LCD or QLCD samsungs you lose out on lovely SDR content. Try play a PS3 on those. You will stop because you wont be able to calibrate it to look like its suppose too, on oleds you can do that and than also enjoy perfect blacks that the games never had before.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of taking back the p605 I bought and getting the X900E tonight in 65. Aside from the bigger size would I notice a big difference in picture? Would I be missing out not having Dolby Vision?

Shivers

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
probably a stupid question but my 2 metre hdmi lead for the tv won't fit where i want to dock my switch! if i buy a 5 metre hdmi lead am i going to have worse picture quality? thanks.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I saw an XLED on sale today. I know OLED = good, QLED = bamboozle, but what is XLED?

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Game Mode. When starting up a HDR game, the TV will change to HDR (in Game Mode) automatically, as long as you've activated the Enhanced HDMI setting in the TV menu (if not, choose Game Mode after booting up the HDR game).

Brightness: Max
Contrast: 90
Colour: 50
Gamma: 0
Local Dimming: High
X Reality Pro (?): High
Colour temp: Expert 1
Smooth Gradation: Low
Everything else: Off

Nice thanks.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil

Adobe

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably an incredibly stupid question, but why are some of those models marked as "4K" instead of just 4K?

I'm looking to upgrade my 2008 (yup) 1080p LG set, and from what I'm seeing the LG OLEDs are the best option right now... but those quotation marks are making me wary.

Those "4k" arent on the oleds, only on two of their lcd 4k sets, they use different pixel structure which results in a lesser '4k' image.

From RTINGS:
It uses an alternate pixel structure (RGBW) which results in less accurate display of fine details.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to jump in but I just cannot find a TV that's satisfactory for me.

The TLC is the winner on price to performance but I know I will regret the dirty screen+warming color zones due to bad uniformity. It bugs me on monitors with good uniformity, I can see it.

Everything else is just way too expensive for what you get. The sony X900E is a trade off set to the TLC, with better uniformity but worse blacks. That's fine, except that it's just straight up worse than the KS8000 which was literally cheaper last year during the holidays. What's even the point of this set existing then? At least the TLC has price going for the trade offs.

And Vizio decided to be a clowns and make the affordable P series size an IPS panel for... whatever reason I guess, ruining it as a display device since IPS sucks for media consumption. The 65 inch is OLED expensive, and has its own tradeoffs still. OLED is out for me because I don't want burn in since this will be used as a PC monitor only.

I hate tv shopping, it's such a pain. If they could have made uniformity on the TCL better, it would have been heralded as a display god for that price.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well big screen size finally won out over panel tech

75" X900E on the way
I'm super happy with mine. I wanted a 75" X930E, but those don't exist. And for whatever reason, the more premium X940E has really terrible motion trails behind moving objects. My old Vizio did this and it drove me nuts.

Anyway, plugging the XBX into it and seeing check marks next to all the features it supported was really gratifying. I also feel it gets pretty damn bright. To think that the 930E gets more than twice is bright is nuts. You folks have mini nuclear bombs detonating in your living rooms.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just got mine Tuesday from Amazon, very nice indeed

I just started a thread concerning a HDCP issue with my ps4 pro. Using port 2 with enhanced selected and if I leave hdcp on I get intermittent screen flickering, if I turn hdcp off the problem goes away. Not really sure what is really the problem. Using the hdmi cable that came with it as well so I would hope sony wouldnt ship the system with a cable that wouldnt actually support 4k and such.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
I'm super happy with mine. I wanted a 75" X930E, but those don't exist. And for whatever reason, the more premium X940E has really terrible motion trails behind moving objects. My old Vizio did this and it drove me nuts.

yea overall didn't sound like it would be worth the almost 2k CAD jump in price.

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
Before buying the 55C7, I thought I needed to change my HTPC but movies looks amazing on the oled.
I was happy with my 2008 plasma but this is another experience. I want to rewatch my whole collection right now.

Another question, is the Netflix app on LG oled crap?
I started to watch the first season of stranger things, the black are crushed like hell and the picture is far from crystal clear.
I tried to mess with settings but couldn't solve the black crush. I stopped the first episode after 3 minutes.
I read everywhere that hdr implementation is top notch on the first season and I'm not impressed.

Xamdou

Oct 25, 2017
Got the Sony Bravia 4K HDTV 55" 900e Last Sunday and it has been fantastic thus far! Also checked the back of the tv and it says it was just manufactured last month, October 2017!

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
I'm jumping back and forth between TV models, but I saw people recommending this...

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p-series-2017-p607

I'm on a budget and the TCL 55P605 model is at Best Buy for $600. Is that a good deal? Can it drop in price Friday? Can it drop in price somewhere else? Can anyone who owns it comment on the picture quality? Best Buy currently has that display turned off on the shelf.

SirVilhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I just started a thread concerning a HDCP issue with my ps4 pro. Using port 2 with enhanced selected and if I leave hdcp on I get intermittent screen flickering, if I turn hdcp off the problem goes away. Not really sure what is really the problem. Using the hdmi cable that came with it as well so I would hope sony wouldnt ship the system with a cable that wouldnt actually support 4k and such.

How do you turn hdcp on and off? I have an Xbox one X on port 2 and haven't had any issue

Azakius

Oct 29, 2017
I actually just picked up a QLED Samsung Q7F over an OLED. Saw both together and the brightness and colour of the Q7F blew me away

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I'm jumping back and forth between TV models, but I saw people recommending this...

I'm on a budget and the TCL 55P605 model is at Best Buy for $600. Is that a good deal? Can it drop in price Friday? Can it drop in price somewhere else? Can anyone who owns it comment on the picture quality? Best Buy currently has that display turned off on the shelf.

I don't know of any plans for it to get a price drop, and it's sold out everywhere except for best buy. If they're already having stock issues, I doubt it is going to drop. That's just my opinion though.

Madness

Oct 25, 2017
I actually just picked up a QLED Samsung Q7F over an OLED. Saw both together and the brightness and colour of the Q7F blew me away

Keep in mind this has historically been a way for LCD manufacturers to sell sets and what caused them to leap over Plasma which was the 'superior' cinema viewing experience in my opinion. Even brand reps would teach employees to leave picture settings on Dynamic and max brightness and contrast and cool tones. An LED/LCD against an OLED in a bright retail store would show more dynamics, but remember you want something for your home.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
So my buddy that won't be gaming on his TV will mostly watch sports, plus is excited about HDR for all the various streaming clients. Also important that he wants something in the 75" range.

What should he be looking at this weekend? I'm all about the OLED and such, but I'm into gaming and size doesn't matter to me. Pun intended.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Saw you have until January to return. I would still take top box off and plug in just to make sure no screen cracks or bends. I'm sure your mom would be fine with that.

Also my settings are: technicolor expert for both SDR and HDR.

-Leave everything off except DC on low for HDR.

-Dolby Vision don't touch anything

-SDR I use oled light around 60-70 default for technicolor is 80 but that's a bit bright for me. When I darken room turning it down to 40 works as well. Leave all processing off with SDR.

-Turn off TV eco mode ASAP as well

Also for the recommendations I apply each mode to all inputs. So all hdr is technicolor etc.

Technicolor OOTB has a real nice look and I've been sticking with that for my 65 E7. Just gorgeous.

This may be a late reply to you but it got my attention quick.

Please, under no circumstances don't leave it that long unless you bought it with an extended warranty or have that long to return.

If you don't have those tell your mom you need to at least boot it up and check if it works. Cause if there's a cracked screen or any other issues you will be stuck on Xmas calling lg support.

Thanks... Yeah, I actually spoke to my mother about it, and she was fine with me actually setting it up now and not waiting until Christmas, so I will most likely do it this weekend, probably on Sunday.

With your settings above does the LG have a setting that I can turn off that stops the programs I am watching from looking like a live soap opera? On the Sony TV's, I think its call motionflow...

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017

Bought it at best buy last saturday (well ordered it online for in store pickup as I m canadian, took a week for the order to be fulfilled so I don't think it will get a rebate soon. Very happy about its picture, blacks,... but yeah you get DSE on some colors at least my unit does. Been playing mad max for the past week on it (while I have battlefront 2 , assassin creed and ffXV ) waiting for me on ps4pro and xonex Even if its an older game, picture is amazin to my eyes on the tcl p. So even with some DSE, I don't think it can be beaten for the price its going for (and it has 3 real 4k hdmi 2.2 plug contrary of the vizio 55m-e0) I needed at least 2 for the 2 console the last one is arc plugged to my soundbar with the rest of the 4k ans 1080p devices that are not hdr. Unless dse really bother you its a great tv for the price....oh and the lag is so minimal compare to my older sony w600b which was already quite good. Happy buyer here

PinaColada

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks... Yeah, I actually spoke to my mother about it, and she was fine with me actually setting it up now and not waiting until Christmas, so I will most likely do it this weekend, probably on Sunday.

With your settings above does the LG have a setting that I can turn off that stops the programs I am watching from looking like a live soap opera? On the Sony TV's, I think its call motionflow...

You bet. On LG it's called TruMotion and I have it off. I hate SOE.

Also if you're really sensitive about game lag you may want to switch to game mode for SDR and hdr.

I am not and much prefer how technicolor looks to game mode. But it can be a difference of 20ms to 40ish ms

Last edited:

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Alright I'm in line with the X900E and returning the TCL. Am I going to regret losing Dolby Vision?

PinaColada

Oct 27, 2017
Alright I'm in line with the X900E and returning the TCL. Am I going to regret losing Dolby Vision?

Depends. How often do you buy TV's?

I typically always go towards a new top of the line display every 2-3 years. If you do the same I wouldn't worry about it. However if you keep displays for a long time you "may" miss it. I put in quotes because Dolby can be very awesome but it is still in its infancy at the moment.

If I was in your shoes I'd still go with the Sony over the TCL though.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Do all the streaming apps like Netflix on the Sony do 4k and hdr? Never had an Android tv.

And I'll be keeping this for at least 5 years probably. It's going to be for gaming and movies in my basement. Using a PS4 pro and Xbox one s.

ScribblerUK

Nov 22, 2017
Heading to Best Buy tomorrow - plan is to buy the 65" LG B7 or C7.

Downside is I've agreed it will be my Christmas present from the wife. Next few weeks are going to be agony.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
You bet. On LG it's called TruMotion and I have it off. I hate SOE.

Also if you're really sensitive about game lag you may want to switch to game mode for SDR and hdr.

I am not and much prefer how technicolor looks to game mode. But it can be a difference of 20ms to 40ish ms

So my setup is going to be:

Switch
PS4
XBO Slim
FiOS

I was going to leave the TruMotion on for the gaming stuff because I heard that the games are really as affected as TV shows by that feature, and then with the FiOS settings, I was going to shut that TruMotion off.

As for the modes for SDR and HDR, I will try out both and see which I like better and go with that...

Status
Not open for further replies.